Sorel/St-Ignace ferry trail+#3#63 trail loop up to Charette ride report 22january2022

towing

Here the trail path we ride yesterday saturday 22January2022 starting from home near Joliette

carte(11).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

The new snow drops from last week enable the opening of almost all the trails of our trail network, most already ready to use. So we had the chance to start our ride from our porch and let the trailer aside. With the polar weather we had (-33C last night and still -25C at our late start) all trails were from good to mint! 

here on #43 trail near home

1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

And here on #3 trail along the railway

2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

I seen on snowmobile interactive map that the Sorel/St-Ignace ferry trail was opened. It's a very important link for the trail network between north and south shore of the st-Laurence river that have been closed for the last 2 seasons but come back functional this season so I decided to go there to take a look at it.

The woody section toward Berthierville was particularly snowy and nice

3.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

4.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

At Berthierville we switched on the ferry trail

5.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

All the rivers arms are nicely frozen and safe with the staking done up to the ferry gate. I have been told that the Sorel side(south shore) sled access to ferry was ready too but to be confirmed...

Here some interesting details for our north shore ferry trail:

-The last St-Laurence river arm have to be crossed by sled on the car bridge.

-All other rivers are crossed on ice. They are staked but not groomed

-The islands are groomed but the acces by the road is difficult/complicated for the groomer so it's not groomed as frequently as the rest of the trails

I filmed some footage on my return from the ferry gate to Berthierville and put this short video together. It give a good picture of the ride in between

We then returned on #3 trail in east direction

DSC04139(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&f

At St-Cuthbert on the #3 trail side is this interesting new relay creperie/pizzeria that made a nice setup for snowmobilers with wood stove,tables and chairs

DSC04147.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

There is also a bit farther the Valrémi sugar shack that also offer take-outs and offer a similar exterior set-up with fire and tables for the sledders and also a wide car parking for trailers

6.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It was too early for lunch so we continued on #3 trail

DSC04149.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Hard and fast trails

DSC04153.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC04158.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The very cold weather surely help but I felt almost no earth bumps in the skis even in the large windy field sections, maybe a total of 150feets splitted in 2 spots. Very good for a season beginning there.

7.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

We then took the #63 toward Ste-Ursule. It's always impressive to see those 3' tall big birds in the trail... last week ones were way smaller! I had not even tried to feed those ones in my hand 😄 

DSC04181.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We had continue up to Charette where we stopped at Magnan falls

DSC04189.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC04195.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Without having much relais option near we ate a brief lunch there while taking some pictures of this nice spot

DSC04219.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC04200.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC04203.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We then continued on the #63 trail and loop back using a local trail in St-Severe/St-Leon area. We also looped on #63 in St-Justin area that had mint conditions as the rest of the trails there

DSC04239.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We finally took St-Nortbert local trail to complete the loop home. Again very few trail wear with the deep cold that help keeping the trail in shape and surely discourage a couple sledders from putting a toe outside!

DSC04267.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

All in all, a nice 145miles loop for us. With the last week snow we are now getting a very near fully operational trail network that give alot ride options. The best of the season is just beginning, if you want to ride this season it's now the moment: good sledding season!

More details on trail opening and condition here https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Alain

On 1/23/2022 at 6:07 PM, iceman said:

Thanks 

great report as usual. 

Never been across at BERTHIERVILLE to SOREL very interesting. Thanks for the extra details for this. 

Thanks Iceman! From the 5 St-Laurence river crossing possibilities when sledding, this is one easy and pretty cheap option. One thing to note is that the ferry crossing are at one hour interval this winter(just one ferry boat) and not each 30 minutes like in summer. The ferry leave the north shore each hour( at 6:00, 7:00, 8:00...)and leave the south shore each half of an hour( 6:30, 7:30, 8:30...) non stop 24 hrs/day. 

This make an interesting way to enlarge the playing field and ride possibilities

On 1/23/2022 at 6:11 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

superb write up as usual Alain !!

those trails look incredible. Wish we would have had some like that last week...LOL

Now you wont have to trailer anymore this season I'm guessing

Thanks Chris, it was on the opposite side from powder ride but both are pure fun! 

I had told Kristine Saturday morning how happy I was to not having to deal with the trailer with that deep cold. When I fueled up in St-Norbert on our return we met there a couple that had keel over on their 2up sled 30 minutes before. The woman had pain on one side and not seems in good shape, they were returning at Terrebonne, a good 3 hours ahead them. Long story short, they end up finishing their ride at my home, I attached the trailer and bring them safely at their home in Terrebonne. The woman got a check at the hospital and fortunately had nothing broken but muscular tear... she will have to stay quiet for a couple weeks and it will be ok. They were really grateful for the car/trailer ride! 

So the trailer stay not far...will use it for season ending for sure and maybe to start a ride with buddies not close to home in the next weeks. But I really like to start by sled from the house door!

On 1/23/2022 at 8:22 PM, Cobra said:

Thanks for always taking us on your journeys, trails look INCREDIBLE on this particular loop. Safe travels and keep em coming my friend.

You are welcome Cobra!  Trails were perfects, outside lunch was a bit chilly but rumours tell that the restaurants may be able to open by the 1er february! I hope this is true, make snowmobiling even more fun.

22 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Well done!

Thanks for sharing!

On 1/23/2022 at 9:34 PM, P Hardy said:

Thanks for the great pictures and report. Trails look fantastic!!

Thank you both guys!

13 hours ago, markusvt said:

Nice to be able to ride from home, looks like a great loop.

It mark a step in the season when we are able to start from home... we wait for the sledding season the 3/4 of the year, now we are!!!

Edited by towing

Great report as usual Alain. Those trails near home look beautiful long straight. We are doing a loop soon. Do you or anyone else know if the Days Inn in Berthierville has any protective parking for trucks/trailers. Starting from there would shorten our drive up. Thanks

5 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

Great report as usual Alain. Those trails near home look beautiful long straight. We are doing a loop soon. Do you or anyone else know if the Days Inn in Berthierville has any protective parking for trucks/trailers. Starting from there would shorten our drive up. Thanks

Pm sent 👍

Thank you Alain and Kristine.  Great report.  Years ago we used to cross at Sorel and then the trail was closed for a few years.  I think the club had trouble with permissions.  It is good to see that access is open again.  It is an inexpensive way to cross the river.

Thanks again,

Jack & Sandi