Joliette/St-Donat Black Mountain 17january2015

towing

We were wanting to do a big ride now that the trail network was connected. With a -28°C on this Saturday morning with a maximum of -18°C announced in the day it's the perfect time to choose a more wooded trail path and choose trails that make us move a little more. So accompanied by our friend Snowcruiser we go lunching in St-Donat followed by a round trip to the Black Mountain. Here's the path of the day.

carte_zpsf14923bc.jpg
So we start going north towards St-Felix de Valois. With the deep cold and a few inches of new snow received in last week the trails in the fields are perfects. I maintain a moderate speed to avoid freezing my backseat partner at the beginning of the ride

DSC05432_zpsb1bd47a9.jpg

In woods there some short spots of lightly brownish snow but very good overall.

DSC05439_zpse711624d.jpg

A short break near the cabin of St- Felix before going to St-jean de Matha

DSC05437_zps64c5c414.jpg

Although we start early at 8:00 on this deep cold morning, we meet other brave sledders

DSC05438_zps33e3d343.jpg

This week I switch at the right place and ride directly on the Black River north of St-Jean de Matha

DSC05447_zpsa21593d1.jpg

Which is well marked and solid

DSC05450_zps05978fbf.jpg

North of St-Jean de Matha we keep the #63 trail towards Ste-Emilie de l'Energie. This section was recently groomed and there are still some ditch not completely snow filled in some places

DSC05453_zpsa98230e0.jpg

The trail in the big hills in Ste-Emilie are in good condition, no ice.

DSC05459_zps13d8583b.jpg

And snow significantly increases when we get on top

DSC05464_zpsbb83fb1b.jpg

DSC05474_zpsaa60d17c.jpg

Once past the Pourvoirie Bazinet, trail conditions improve substantially to become very good

DSC05494_zps3c32e3a0.jpg

We take a break in Coin Lavigne.

DSC05502_zpsf09f0397.jpg

They have an original way to locate the Christmas tree and gifts! I confess I think of it for home!

DSC05504_zps5ef8d76b.jpg

He does'nt seem to mind about the cold

DSC05507_zps36d56e65.jpg

We continue on the #33 north groomed by Notre-Dame de la Merci Club who did a perfect job as always

DSC05514_zpsf17a930c.jpg

There are few potatoes (rocks) in the big hills and we feel some tocs in skis a couple time but nothing major.

DSC05526_zps1161a70c.jpg

The decor is very snowy, very beautiful

DSC05522_zps827b645a.jpg

DSC05532_zpsf97438f2.jpg

We switch toward St-Donat

DSC05564_zps76717047.jpg

There is few bumps but the scenery was outstanding

DSC05561_zps95c1757e.jpg

DSC05569_zpsf52bdbcf.jpg

Beautifulview of the Ouareau lake near St-Donat

DSC05571_zpsd7456220.jpg

We took the opportunity to refuel at 97.9/liter

DSC05572_zps72c94565.jpg

Before going to lunch at the legendary Cuillère à Pot in St-Donat

DSC05574_zps1c8b4be0.jpg

Then the sun quit and it is under clouds that we continue our ride. Visibility and pics will be significantly worse. Here on Archambault Lake

DSC05581_zpsf87bc691.jpg

On the trail to the mountain, the snow is already impressive in the trees around

DSC05583_zps88ecaf29.jpg

Despite the gray sky the view is still beautiful.

DSC05585_zpse9372e5b.jpg

DSC05586_zps460aaa85.jpg

We see that it had some ice and very wet snow that had not melted in the last weeks and branches still struggling under all that weight

DSC05604_zps4ed4741e.jpg

Once on top

DSC05605_zps4170a127.jpg

Watch the ice in fir

DSC05626_zpse6cf0f16.jpg

We would have liked some sun, which would have add a x100 on the beauty of the scenery

DSC05623_zps5610de72.jpg

Over the years the vegetation had grow and we see less of the surrounding landscape. It's still a very nice spot that worth the ride even if like this time the gray jays had not showed

DSC05629_zps0475bc01.jpg

We then returned our steps back under this gray sky

DSC05635_zps69512548.jpg

DSC05640_zpsceb7dab2.jpg

The trees on either side of the trail are so laden with snow that it sometimes looks like a tunnel

DSC05654_zps8bc2fe01.jpg

We returned through St-Donat and then we head towards Notre-Dame de la Merci village.

DSC05655_zpsf2291f10.jpg

Then we switch to the east by #341 trail which was very nice and we go through the suspension bridge of St-Côme.

DSC05663_zps8c139afd.jpg

And pass near the Val St-Come ski resort.

DSC05671_zps0c4748ef.jpg

A St-Côme we choose to go down the #43 trail that we have not done for some years. This trail was recently groomed but pretty good overall. We stopped to eat and refuel in St-Alphonse de Rodrigez where we cross the groomer.

After, we went back by the #43 trail that had thinner section near joliette and finally been back to our starting point at 8:30 p.m. with 220 miles on the dreammeter

In summary a beautiful ride. The snow is not as generous as last year but trails are very nice, the only thinner spots were found in very south of Lanaudiere. The trails are all opened and interconnected so the network is operational and it's really now the time to ride and enjoy!

Alain

Looks Good! Thanks. We all are...hoping for even more snow to patch up some thin spots...but it sounds like conditions are very ride-able and actually good overall. Should be riding this area in a few weeks. I love getting a cup of french onion soup, club sandwich, and maybe some poutine when we stop at Culliere a pot!

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

Alain

A great, and welcome report. Was wondering how the trails were shaping-up this past weekend. Krissy and I are leaving for 6 days at Montagne Coupee this afternoon. Plan to be riding some of the trails in your fine report tomorrow afternoon.

As always, thanks for your detailed reporting. We greatly appreciate it.

timbo

Fantastic report as usual. Love the pictures, even the cloudy ones! Much colder riding on the back, I'm sure your wife wears more layers than you to stay warm.

Thanks Stan

Thank You Stan! more than that, Krikri is very very chilly. She dress herself like an onion! when she's ready to ride she look like the Michelin bibendum but she is warm! But yes, it's definately alot much colder on the back... a real chance she don't want to drive and ship me on the rear!

Nice report Alain, Haven't gotten up there yet this year, so reading about it with the pics is the next best thing. Another week or so and I'll be up

Thank you Jackstraw! We got a 4" of new stuff on monday and it keep really cold, You will have great conditions next week!

Those cold days make for some really hard packed trails and good riding.

Nice ride and pics Alain

Thanks Trailblazer! No complain, those cold days are the next best thing after snow days!

Thank You so much for taking the effort to show us first hand the conditions.

You are Welcome Snobeeler, Actually it's a go for it and you won't be deceived for sure!

Looks Good! Thanks. We all are...hoping for even more snow to patch up some thin spots...but it sounds like conditions are very ride-able and actually good overall. Should be riding this area in a few weeks. I love getting a cup of french onion soup, club sandwich, and maybe some poutine when we stop at Culliere a pot!

Like said we got a bit more snow Monday but it's already very good to go now, I'm very picky when I describe in my reports to give very realistic conditions but I had seen some years with less good conditions than what we have now for conditions for the whole winter. It's more that we had been spoiled in the last 2 years with exceptionally good snow early in the season and this year it's not the same...

SUPER JOB like usual . you guys and gal are the best

Thank you Grumpy!

Alain

A great, and welcome report. Was wondering how the trails were shaping-up this past weekend. Krissy and I are leaving for 6 days at Montagne Coupee this afternoon. Plan to be riding some of the trails in your fine report tomorrow afternoon.

As always, thanks for your detailed reporting. We greatly appreciate it.

timbo

You are welcome timbo! from St-Jean de Matha you will have great sledding for sure. Also, you probably already know but if you want to go north from there the #23 is the fastest trail followed by the #63 that is a bit more twisty, and the #43 more west is your last choice, slower and narrower than the others with few road side sections

Hope you have great time!

Great report as usual. Thanks.

Great report as always. We are headed your way in a few days.

Thanks guys! You bet, it's really now the time to ride!

Thanks for the report Alain about time for me to get up there :clapping:

You are welcome viper2. Yes sir, gentlemen start your engine it's now or never time to enjoy... the trail system is ready to go!