Trail Conditions 2010

Saguenay Bill

Bill.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted, I look forward to reading your posts each day, hopefully next year will be a better year. We still hopefully should have another 4-6 weeks of sledding here in northern New Brunswick depending when it decides to turn cold again.

I guess we were very lucky we took our trip to your area last week instead of waiting, overall trails were good and we seen alot of beautiful country.

Bill......I noticed on your sleds you have some kind of guages on the dash of your sleds, what are they for?

Hopefully see you again next year if we decide to come back your way.

Thanks

Dooboy

( Roger )

Dooboy

One is engine coolant temp and other is ambient air temp.

Thanks for all you do for everyone Bill.Trail reports,help with breakdowns,etc. etc. Weather was not kind this year. Stay an extra 3 weeks next year! I'll be talking to ya later.

Deano

Deano

As you know I enjoy helping folks out. My way of saying thank you.

Bill

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, congrats on your milestone. Living in Georgia I hope to do about 2500-3000 miles in a year. When will you be going home? I believe a few of the Buttpaste boys and a couple others are going to try to make a run up there next weekend for a couple of days. If you're not there we appreciate your help and we'll see you next year.

Brian

Brian

Looks like I'm out of here on Friday. Check conditions before trying to make it up here. Main trails are going fast. Secondary trails are holding up well.

Bill

Hi Bill, congrats on the 20,000 on the 06. Bummer on the end of the season. I have my winter vacation coming up in two weeks. See you back in NH.

Bob

Bob

Hope to see you this summer.

Bill

Bob

Check the weather for up here. Could be a problem. See for yourself.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Congrats again on the 20k mark who says these ski-booms don't last right!

Anyway we made it back to St. Ray on Monday. Based on your ride report looks like we hit a lot of the same. 23 to L'estape had snow but was bumpy. The last 10 miles into St Raymond was terrible its down to dirt. Anyone that is still thinking of making this trip better have wheels not skis! Looks like our season ended way to early this year.

Have a safe trip home and hope to see you next year at the HI.

All the best

Bob

Hey Bill,

Congrats again on the 20k mark who says these ski-booms don't last right!

Anyway we made it back to St. Ray on Monday. Based on your ride report looks like we hit a lot of the same. 23 to L'estape had snow but was bumpy. The last 10 miles into St Raymond was terrible its down to dirt. Anyone that is still thinking of making this trip better have wheels not skis! Looks like our season ended way to early this year.

Have a safe trip home and hope to see you next year at the HI.

All the best

Bob

Hi Bob

Didn't get to talk to you as much as i wanted to. Hope to see you next year for sure.

Bill

X2 here Bill, 20,000 miles on 1 sled is definiately something to be proud about, Mark and I had a great time this year riding with you and all the other great guys out of the HI. Have a safe trip home, and the good Lord willing will see you next year! Dave

Bill,

Clear sailing, back home in Maine. We should have rode this morning, mountains through the Park looked like lots of snow and much colder than at the hotel.

Tell Juledele thanks for the dog biscuits, Emma will like them even if Greta did not. 'A gift is cherished, and the memory of the gift will last forever'.

In this case, I will never forget the dog biscuits.

At Customs I got the usual questions, alcohol? tobacco? firearms.

Question 6 is always what do I do for work, show an ID, and on my way in about 60 seconds.

Today the number 6 question was instead, 'What gifts are you bringing back from Canada'?

I sheepishly held up the eight dog biscuits neatly wrapped in the clear plastic baggie.

At that point the Customs Agent directed me to the 'special parking spot'.

He then walked over, demanded my truck keys, told me to exit the truck, and sent me through the 'special door'.

Inside were four Customs' Agents waiting. Two started grilling me about everything under the sun, but never mentioned the dog biscuits in the clear baggie or who gave them to me. I assumed my truck was being searched while I was inside.

Next I was handed a form to fill out. Lots of questions about me. Then yes and no questions about the gift I was trying to bring into the US. Question #4, 'Is the gift an animal, animal related or an animal byproduct.

I answered

yes'

At the bottom of the page it told me if I answered yes to any of the questions, to fill out the reverse side of the form.

The reverse side said to list all gifts and their values.

8 dog biscuits $2.00.

They then compared the answers on the form about myself to my passport and their computer.

I almost detected a smile from the agent when he saw what I listed on the back of the form.

I was handed my keys and passport and sent on my way.

I will say the agents were nice while I was a prisoner of the U.S.

I drove away thinking I am now red flagged by Homeland Security.

Half mile down the road I passed a Border Patrol Agent sitting in his cruiser. He sees me and pulls right out and follows me all the way to Jackman until I pulled into the sled dealer.

But I am home safe!

Bill and Juledele, thank you for so much; the snowmobiling, the food, and most of all the good friendships.

And now a lifelong memory about dog biscuits!

mike

Bill,

Clear sailing, back home in Maine. We should have rode this morning, mountains through the Park looked like lots of snow and much colder than at the hotel.

Tell Juledele thanks for the dog biscuits, Emma will like them even if Greta did not. 'A gift is cherished, and the memory of the gift will last forever'.

In this case, I will never forget the dog biscuits.

At Customs I got the usual questions, alcohol? tobacco? firearms.

Question 6 is always what do I do for work, show an ID, and on my way in about 60 seconds.

Today the number 6 question was instead, 'What gifts are you bringing back from Canada'?

I sheepishly held up the eight dog biscuits neatly wrapped in the clear plastic baggie.

At that point the Customs Agent directed me to the 'special parking spot'.

He then walked over, demanded my truck keys, told me to exit the truck, and sent me through the 'special door'.

Inside were four Customs' Agents waiting. Two started grilling me about everything under the sun, but never mentioned the dog biscuits in the clear baggie or who gave them to me. I assumed my truck was being searched while I was inside.

Next I was handed a form to fill out. Lots of questions about me. Then yes and no questions about the gift I was trying to bring into the US. Question #4, 'Is the gift an animal, animal related or an animal byproduct.

I answered

yes'

At the bottom of the page it told me if I answered yes to any of the questions, to fill out the reverse side of the form.

The reverse side said to list all gifts and their values.

8 dog biscuits $2.00.

They then compared the answers on the form about myself to my passport and their computer.

I almost detected a smile from the agent when he saw what I listed on the back of the form.

I was handed my keys and passport and sent on my way.

I will say the agents were nice while I was a prisoner of the U.S.

I drove away thinking I am now red flagged by Homeland Security.

Half mile down the road I passed a Border Patrol Agent sitting in his cruiser. He sees me and pulls right out and follows me all the way to Jackman until I pulled into the sled dealer.

But I am home safe!

Bill and Juledele, thank you for so much; the snowmobiling, the food, and most of all the good friendships.

And now a lifelong memory about dog biscuits!

mike

Mike,

If the Honiaks at the ports of entry had a real job, they would be in for a reality check!

Over paid, under worked, and rude as all hell.

The questions get dumber and dumber every year.

I once handed a US passport to the guy at the booth, after telling him I was born in Montreal, he asked me for a green card! I had to remind him that once you become a US citizen, they take the green card away, and you get what is called a PASSPORT, you are now a citizen of the United States, no longer eligible for a green card. I think there must have been a lot of hard studying at the school they send the boys to.

The Customs Agents were very nice. Although a little worried at the time this was going on, I found great humor in it afterwards and being on my way.

The whole thing is actually a very good memory, as looking back on it I find it so funny, all this for dog biscuits.

I am sure Bill, Juledele and I will laugh loudly over this at our next beer tasting session.

mike

The Customs Agents were very nice. Although a little worried at the time this was going on, I found great humor in it afterwards and being on my way.

The whole thing is actually a very good memory, as looking back on it I find it so funny, all this for dog biscuits.

I am sure Bill, Juledele and I will laugh loudly over this at our next beer tasting session.

mike

Mike

I think the same thing happened to Brandon. He had dog biscuits that Juliedele had given him for his dog. He had a time explaining about them as they didn't have a dog with them.

Bill

Safe Journey home Bill.

Once again Bill thanks for all the advice and help and trips out we did with you. You, JD & Greta made a good holiday even better (despite the couple of bed sleds we had). Hope next seasons is a longer one!

See you in July at the QR meet.

Gary & Snowmouse

Safe Journey home Bill.

Once again Bill thanks for all the advice and help and trips out we did with you. You, JD & Greta made a good holiday even better (despite the couple of bed sleds we had). Hope next seasons is a longer one!

See you in July at the QR meet.

Gary & Snowmouse

Gary & Snowmouse

See you in July for sure.

Bill

Hi All

Left the Hi yesterday morning at 7:15. Got to km marker 212 on 175, snowing like crazy and windy. Snowed hard all the way to the cross country ski place on 175, temp was 24F. Stopped for gas at the Petro Canada station, temp was 40F but they were closed because of no power. Got on 20 west and about 10 miles from where I got on and it was closed. Took 132 west about 40 miles, stopped for gas and asked guy if it was open. He said it was still closed but not near him. Drove about 10-15 miles towards 20 and sure enough it was open there. Got home about 3:45 PM. Sold my 2006 1 hour after I got home.

Bill

Bill,

Good to see you made it home Safe.

Did Skidoo buy it to prove that their sleds are reliable in the long haul.... except for rings, Jackshaft bearings, etc...

Wish we had a chance to ride this year. Still waiting for the brothers paperwork to come back.

Are you realy considering the 4Stroke for next year?

Later

Don

Bill,

Good to see you made it home Safe.

Did Skidoo buy it to prove that their sleds are reliable in the long haul.... except for rings, Jackshaft bearings, etc...

Wish we had a chance to ride this year. Still waiting for the brothers paperwork to come back.

Are you realy considering the 4Stroke for next year?

Later

Don

Hi Dan

I sold it to a friend who will probably only use it to haul his bob house out on the lake and maybe do a small amount of riding around here. I'll check compression as it's still under warranty til March 26 of this year. Never had ring problem with any of the old cast iron cylinder 600 engines. I've put 10,000, 14,000, 16,000 and now 20,000 on them.

Hope you get the paperwork squared away. Would like to ride with you for sure. You are a better brother than i would be. I'd have to leave him back home here in the USA.

I am definately going 4 stroke. Going to dealer's next week to see how much it will cost me. To me a 2 cycle engine is a time bomb, not a question of if but when. I'm probably going to only one sled at this point. If my wife should decide to ride a day or two, I'll rent a sled for those days. However I am looking at the 600 ACE engine in a sled, probably the MXZ Sport. I like 300 miles on a tank of gas.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I am Glad you made it home safe. When I left Thursday I was surprised how much snow was coming down on 175. I saw a big rig buried on the north median.

Yet there was nothing around Jonquiere.

I wanted to say thanks for all the great info. You helped make our trip a great one.

We are looking forward to the summer get together.

Hi Bill,

I am Glad you made it home safe. When I left Thursday I was surprised how much snow was coming down on 175. I saw a big rig buried on the north median.

Yet there was nothing around Jonquiere.

I wanted to say thanks for all the great info. You helped make our trip a great one.

We are looking forward to the summer get together.

Jim

It was my pleasure to supply you with any info I can. Your wife is a great gal. She sure is one of a kind.

So far, if everyone shows up, there are 15 people coming. Talked to Ray last night and he will put on a BBQ for us on Sat night. Should be another great time.

Bill

Hi Dan

I sold it to a friend who will probably only use it to haul his bob house out on the lake and maybe do a small amount of riding around here. I'll check compression as it's still under warranty til March 26 of this year. Never had ring problem with any of the old cast iron cylinder 600 engines. I've put 10,000, 14,000, 16,000 and now 20,000 on them.

Hope you get the paperwork squared away. Would like to ride with you for sure. You are a better brother than i would be. I'd have to leave him back home here in the USA.

I am definately going 4 stroke. Going to dealer's next week to see how much it will cost me. To me a 2 cycle engine is a time bomb, not a question of if but when. I'm probably going to only one sled at this point. If my wife should decide to ride a day or two, I'll rent a sled for those days. However I am looking at the 600 ACE engine in a sled, probably the MXZ Sport. I like 300 miles on a tank of gas.

Bill

Bill - great to hear you are coming over to the four stroke camp! You will love it!!

Never made it up to Lac St Jean this year - my brother and I are headed to Gaspe tomorrow. Should be fun watching the hockey game in Canada!!

See you next year!!

GW

Hi Bill,

Jason and I saw you heading south on 91 in VT Friday morning. We were heading north going to the HI. Glad to here you made it home safe.

I read about the 600 ACE four stroke. I think Ski Doo had you in mind when they made it.

Hope to see you at the summer gathering.

Jack and Jason

Here is a long report. Some good and some bad.

This morning there were 35 sleds in the pool lockup. There were 2 tour groups that stayed here overnight.

Today Jason and I rode out of the HI. We didn’t have to worry about frost bite :lol: . We debated on whether to ride to Monts Valin or trailer. We talked to a few people that rode in Friday night and we decided to ride. We knew the beginning would be rough.

We took 383 and crossed the bridges at Shipshaw. 383 was groomed. The smooth dirt is soooo much better than the rough dirt. Ha Ha!! Seriously, the groomers are still out there doing their best for us. A big thanks to the groomers!

The bridges weren’t too bad because most of the moguls had melted away.

367 was groomed thru St Ambroise but then the groomer headed north in the big field on 367 and 93 was not groomed. 93 was a little bumpy thru St Honore.

There was dirt in the corners and some snirt in the straight aways from the HI thru St Honore until the 93 & 328 intersection. Not great but passable.

After the 93 & 328, the dirt disappeared but the snow was still a little discolored and very soft. It felt like riding on mashed potatoes. Once we passed the groomer’s house on 93, the trail improved. Still a little discolored but better.

We took the first lookout on the right Pic du Mont Victor-Tremblay. The trail was OK except for the final few hundred yards to the top. There is a short almost straight up section that only the toughest sleds can climb.

post-297-1267313123_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look steep but it is.

We didn’t want to try and do something stupid like roll down the hill :wacko: . We parked the sleds and walked up the final part of the trail. That was even tough. It was overcast but still a very nice view.

post-297-1267313294_thumb.jpg

Next we went to Bras Louis and rode to the top of the lookout Pic du Dos de Cheval. Still overcast but we could see the first lookout Pic du Mont Victor-Tremblay and Valinouet across the valley. The mountains further away were difficult to see because of the weather conditions.

post-297-1267314804_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267313414_thumb.jpg

We took Bras Louis north towards La Chapelle. Bras Louis was a little rough but OK. The temperature was a little cooler and the snow texture was much better. A little snow dust behind the sleds instead of a mist of water. 93 was groomed and good. A little frozen mist accumulated on the shields. Not rain, just a mist.

We had lunch at La Chapelle at noontime. La Chapelle had a good lunch crowd. We made it just before the rush. All of the tables were taken when we left. Still plenty of snow at La Chapelle.

post-297-1267314171_thumb.jpg

Then we continued on 93 and turned right on the local trail that connects to Bras de L’Enfer so we could go to the lookout Pic du Lac du Syndicat. The sky cleared somewhat. What a beautiful view.

post-297-1267313531_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267313886_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267314361_thumb.jpg

We took Bras de L’Enfer to 93 and headed back to Valinouet. Bras de L’Enfer was excellent. 93 was also very good. After Valinuet the trail was tan more than white. After St Honore there was more snirt and dirt.

We took 93 west thru St Ambroise. Not very good. There was a lot more dirt. We almost turned around but I wanted to go to St Charles and see if the river crossing was OK. The local trail from 93 to St Charles was fine. The river crossing was good. No water on the trail at the river. We took 383 back to local trail 7. Both of these were recently groomed and very good. A little soft but very little dirt. Only a couple of spots in a few corners. Then we took 83 back to the HI. 83 was rough and the closer to Jonquiere to the more dirt there was.

Over all 83 and 93 thru St Ambroise was poor. Monts Valin was very good. The trails can be rode out of Jonquiere but there are many bad spots. Monts Valin trails; Bras Louis, 93 and the local trails weren’t any different than a month ago. They are still in very good shape.

I'll post more pics later on the thread "Pics from the Peaks".

Jack & Jason :D

Just a quick report tonight.

We took 83 west which was poor. We then took local 7 to 383 and crossed at St Charles. These were good. We took 93 west which was similar to 83, poor condition.

We then headed north on the local trail up to 328 then headed west to 368 to 93 thru St Monique and St Augustine. Then we took the local trail thru Milot to Scoobyraid. Lunch was at Scoobyraid. 328 and 367 were good but 93 was still poor. The snowmobile bridge in St Monique is chained closed but the car bridge is right next to the snowmobile bridge.

We then took local trails up and around until we came back down to 367 to 93. The local trails and 367 were good. The snow was soft but decent condition.

We rode 93 to St Ambroise and then 367 across the dams then 383 back to the HI. These trails were poor and I am being generous. The closer we got to the dams, the worse the trails were. At times there was more dirt than snow.

Overall, 83 and 93 were poor. Near the dams it is just ugly. The trails to the north are still good but the warm weather will take its toll.

Jack & Jason

Here is a little more detail of our ride Sunday, Feb 28th.

It snowed almost an inch overnight. It was just enough to cover the dirt so it didn’t look quite as bad but we knew it was. If you were wearing your tinted shield, the trails looked better. HA HA!!

We rode 83 west. Club Saguenay groomed but there really wasn’t much snow to work with. We took local trail 7 to 383 and then crossed at St Charles. The trails were good until 93. We headed west on 93 which was rough. We took the first local trail heading north that passes Relais Al’ Oree des Champs. This was much better. A trail with decent snow! We turned west on 328 and then 367 to St Monique. These trails were good. A little dirt in the corners but the straightaways were good.

We turned right on 93. We fueled in St Monique and continued on 93 which was still rough. Probably due to more traffic.

Warning!! The snowmobile bridge in St Monique has a chain across both ends barring access with a sign “Ponte Ferme” - bridge closed. The car bridge is right next to it so that is what we crossed. We continued on 93 until the split for Milot behind Relais L’ Erable. The groomer had been out. The trail was wonderful all the way from Relais L’ Erable in St Augustin to Tchitogama / Scoobyraid.

Lunch was at Scoobyraid. A few other sleds there but not the typical Sunday at Scoobyraid but that afternoon the Olympic hockey game between the USA and Canada was on. Maybe that is why the trails were quiet.

We didn’t notice that the temperature had risen when we got there but looked at the thermometer when we left. It was +10°C, 50°F.

post-297-1267631777_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267631809_thumb.jpg

The parking lot was worse than the trails.

post-297-1267631915_thumb.jpg

After lunch we crossed Lac Tchitogama and took the local trail 484 towards Onatchiway. At the first junction we took the local trail 482 heading south towards 367. These trails were in good shape even though it was warm. Below are pics of the junction of trails 482 & 481. Trail 481 is the lookout Montagne du Conscrit.

post-297-1267632076_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267633320_thumb.jpg

We rode to the top of the lookout Montagne du Conscrit a few miles before 367. The last mile of the trail is only one sled wide at best. Hope that you don't meet a sled coming in the opposite direction. See the pics below.

post-297-1267633925_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267632268_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267632331_thumb.jpg

After that we rode down to 367, a little of 93 thru St Ambroise and then 367 back to Shipshaw. These trails were poor and near the dams they are almost bare. After the dams we took 383 back to the HI. Pics below of the junction of 383 and 83.

post-297-1267633733_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267633813_thumb.jpg

Back at the HI things were bleak. Our truck was the only one in the enclosure and no sleds in the pool area and the parking lot was bare.

post-297-1267632511_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267632522_thumb.jpg

Overall 83 & 93 are in bad shape. North of 93 is pretty good. The warm weather is going to hurt. My recommendation would be to hotel on the mountain or trailer to the mountain and ride from there.

Jack & Jason

post-297-1267632414_thumb.jpg

post-297-1267632448_thumb.jpg

WOW those were some thin conditions revct1! Much better snow to the west, we were up last week and many areas have 3-4 feet and no brown yet. I would say Lac St. Jean is about done. We actually were going to head there on our trip from 2/22-2/28 but after watching the forcast we changed our itinerary. Now we get to dream of next winter. :nea: