Lepine Road

Well, looks like we are committed to traveling to CLOVA as I can't find a reservation elsewhere.  I would like to avoid riding the plowed section of 83 twice and run up to CLOVA on Lepine.  Been years since I have done this and can't seem to find where I saved the track.   Does anybody have and would they be willing to share with me via email or text an electronic map of this track, either in Polaris APP or BRP GO or whatever else works.   I just want to make sure I have a reference so I don't get turned around.   Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, markusvt said:

Draw line from Pensive and go straight up. You can make a GPX file from Google maps/Google Earth. No problem.

I am assuming the track would be the same as google maps would route you if you said directions from Pensive to Clova.  Would you concur?

Edited by ChrisWright

We just ran from Clova to Pensive and on to Club Gatineau on Friday. Pretty straight run, not groomed but beats the shit out of 83. The new orange trail from Gatineau to Notowissi is nice !

10 hours ago, ChrisWright said:

Thanks Mark for the insight.  Unfortunately, we have to run 83 at least one way.  Made reservations at different places a month ago and this is our only damn option.

That's why we book on the fly. Change direction at will! 

6 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

That's why we book on the fly. Change direction at will! 

I agree, however that’s always a gamble. It also depends on how many in the group.

52 minutes ago, Pipemaster said:

I agree, however that’s always a gamble. It also depends on how many in the group.

Usually just 2-4 We call ahead at lunch. if booked we try another in any direction. We stay out of the populated areas anyway. Has worked for the past 15 years

Edited by Jackstraw

To each their own for sure. 

i like to book ahead. If changes need to happen then so it shall be. 

that said for sure been many times we wing it usually just 2 of us so easier to find something 

usually book night before for next days ride. If not already booked

We also always used to wing it, but those days are gone. Some places are hard enough to get by booking ahead. Like Snowmaster said, hockey tourneys are the # 1 cause of room unavailability. (And  the shrinking of Canadian parents checking accounts) 🤑 Last Friday the Universal was full of them!

Our group of 4 (2 rooms) has early booked for over 30 years for our saddlebag trips. We have always had a plan. We have only had to pay the non refundable deposit once in all those years due to a breakdown although we have had to cancel rooms a few times.

We prefer not having to be thinking about those issues while riding but thats us and that unified thinking is likely part of the reason that we still ride together when we can.

Isn't this always the debate.  I've gone both ways.  Am finding with my significant other I book ahead.  Ensure we get a good place she will like and the miles are usually less.

With the guys I still wing it.  It's went both ways.  Our season finale last year we set out from St Raymond to Tadoussac.  Had a big 500 plus km day and didn't get off the ferrry till 8:00.  Never dreamed that half the town closes for the winter.  Ended up in the youth hostile.  It worked, but was definitely not the plan.  Next day worked out better.  Arrived in Saguenay at the Delta by 4 pm.  Was going to stay there and then made the decision in the parking lot to find another hotel further south.  The trails around town were brutal (bare ground) with everything out of town still very decent and we wanted to ride another 100 km loop that night.  Staying at the Delta would have meant having to beat the pavement 3 times vs 1.  So we got another hotel south of there, got our evening ride in after supper and our carbides thanks us for it.  There's no good answer.  I think if I was going anywhere with snow right now I'd side for reservations.  I bet the outfitters that are in the snowbelt are packed full with so many areas still not being rideable.  Completely agree hockey tournaments in the mid sized towns can really mess things up.