Shawinigan- north- Abitbi- return

800steve

Day 1 2/24.

Shawinigan. As we were leaving Escapade ran int a group from Maryland who just repaired there gas tank from the holes that were drilled in it while they were away. We heard the same thing happened at Motel 10 a few weeks ago. Sucks to come back to that. Headed for La Tuque, River was good,355 was very good. Up 73 to Relais 22 was smooth but alot of fresh snow, very pushy, but a good ride. Lunch and gas at Relais. Fresh groomed out on 83 until bridge about 30 miles out. Really bad for next 30 miles. Then we hit a parking area where the groomer turned around, dont know why they didnt go to the bridge, but were really happy for better trail. On to Roberval. Looking for 373 north our leader took a left at intersection that said 373. Went a little further and saw a sign for St Prime. Looked on local map when we got back and found this trail, but not the one we take coming up from 355. Made it to Roberval. All was good. Stayed at Chateau Roberval, nice place, but this is the second time we stayed there this year and the hot tub was not working both times. My wife has no sympathy? 290 miles.

Day 2

Everything fresh groomed up to LaDore. Stopped to top off gas and off to Chibougamou.. About 5 miles out groomer turned onto local trail and 93 turned into a goat path up to the log yard. We did not stop for gas, trying to see if our 3 1200s could make it the distance, Trail got better up to Relai du Nord. Lunch and on the trail. Better from here on to Hotel Chiboug. Made it to gas with no problem, Had gas with if needed. 200 miles, short day.

Day 3

Fresh groomed to Chapais, gas and go. Very good to Label sur quevillon, what a ride!!! On to Val Dor.Stopped at Lovicourt for lunch,This area has some of the best trails I have ever ridden in Quebec. 83 to Val Dor, perfect. Stayed at Forestel, Very nice place, Some construction going on in the hotel but no problems, easy to find from the trail. 296 easy miles.

Day 4

Headed west on 83 to ride local trails. Cant believe how many great trails they have in this area, Iceman might be right, West is Best. Got off to a slow start this morning, one of our group had a " problem getting up today" Took some side trails up to Amos and back on 93 to 313 to 83 to Senneterre for the night. Stayed at Hotel Senabi. Nice older place, easy in easy out. 230 miles of seeing the sites on great trails.

Day 5

Out on 83 west. Cloudy day and rough trail, Went into Lac Fallon for gas top off, trail in and out of there was great. Back on 83 trail sucked. Snowed all the way thru burnt forest, couldnt see a thing and I dont think the groomer has been thru in a long time, hard ride to Clova. Gas and Lunch and a look at the train accident site. On to Parent. Trail fresh groomed from here on, nice. Had cabin booked for nite, but could not find it. Met 2 guys we had been following all day at gas stop and they thought ther were some rooms left at the place they were staying, but warned us it was no Holiday Inn. Turned out to be back trailer at Motel Central. If you have been there you know what they meant. Tuned out ok, met some other nice sleddrs there, 248 miles.

Day 6

83 out to Casey first tracks on fresh groom, south to Lac Repo. Good all the way. Gas and go to St Micheal. Good all the way to the 360, and the a little rough to st Micheal. Gas and on to Cabanon. 260 miles.

Day 7

Woke up to 4 police cars in the yard. Some guys tryed to steal 2 sleds late at night and were caught by some of the staff. Did not get all of thr details, but one of the staff was nursing a black eye. Back to the truck on 23, fresh groomed for first 50 miles, last 35 rough. Truck still had gas when we retuned. Great week despite the fact that it snowed every day but one, Some great trails and some places we have not been before. Happy trails.

PS, all three 1200 skidoos ran great. Not one problem. One has over 4000 miles after this trip, one has over 12000 after this trip, the third has over 13000. Just looking for a little better gas mileage or cheaper gas .lol.

Great trip Steve. West is Best. What's up with the gas tank holes story? Escapade & La Tuque? I haven't heard anything so crazy as that. Give some details if you know any.

Thanks,

Tom

We figured it must be kids getting gas for there cars. We know the group that stayed at Motel 10, They got 1 mile down the highway and the truck quit. They thought somebody siphoned gas while they were gone.Hiked it to a gas stop and went back, poured it inand it started to pour out on the ground. Had to find a hardware store and bought screws with rubber washers, got home ok.The Escapade lot has a locked gate so they have to walk in. Must be pretty sneaky kids?Next thing you know we will have to weld metal plates under our gas tanks.This was at the motel 10 in Shawagan. Edited by 800steve

Steve here is your cabin. As you leave Parent on the 83 heading west just after you cross the first small body of water there is a goat path on the right that takes you to your cabin. It is very nice but you have to go to town to eat.

Andy

post-14-0-96020700-1362312872_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy, we found out that when the water freezes they reroute the trail and there are no signs for the cabins. Worked out fine, Hotel Central looks alot scarier than it really is. Like a night at camp.Was clean and warm, met some good people, what else could you ask for.

Great trip Steve. West is Best. What's up with the gas tank holes story? Escapade & La Tuque? I haven't heard anything so crazy as that. Give some details if you know any.

Thanks,

Tom

Motel 10 is in Grand - Mere

Nice trip 800Steve but what's with the gas mileage issue, I ride with two guys on Renegades equipped with 1200's and the blow me out of the parc on gas mileage, these sleds can easily make 250klms on a tank of fuel, very good in my books.

You guys made it from La Dore to Chibougamau on one tank bypassing the high priced gas stops, in my books there's no getting better than that, you're in real good shape for fuel mileage with these sleds, 600 Ace may top it but your not going to have the same power as a 1200.

Nice trip

JG

Nice trip 800Steve but what's with the gas mileage issue, I ride with two guys on Renegades equipped with 1200's and the blow me out of the parc on gas mileage, these sleds can easily make 250klms on a tank of fuel, very good in my books.

You guys made it from La Dore to Chibougamau on one tank bypassing the high priced gas stops, in my books there's no getting better than that, you're in real good shape for fuel mileage with these sleds, 600 Ace may top it but your not going to have the same power as a 1200.

Nice trip

JG

Paying 1.80 per Ltr. at some of the outfitters can make the guy with 600 ace wish for better mileage. Not complaining about the 1200s they do great for the amount of power, and never an issue getting to gas stops, I guess you just have to pay to play.

I paid 1.99 L this year...that makes $1.80 look good to me! I kind of wish I didn't have to have an 800 lol.

We paid $2.50 at Balbuzard this winter minimum 10ltrs.

Andy

Same here, was there on Thursday. Nice place, $2.50 OUCH ! However a very nice coffee w/ Bailys.

Day 1 2/24.

Shawinigan. As we were leaving Escapade ran int a group from Maryland who just repaired there gas tank from the holes that were drilled in it while they were away. We heard the same thing happened at Motel 10 a few weeks ago. Sucks to come back to that. Headed for La Tuque, River was good,355 was very good. Up 73 to Relais 22 was smooth but alot of fresh snow, very pushy, but a good ride. Lunch and gas at Relais. Fresh groomed out on 83 until bridge about 30 miles out. Really bad for next 30 miles. Then we hit a parking area where the groomer turned around, dont know why they didnt go to the bridge, but were really happy for better trail. On to Roberval. Looking for 373 north our leader took a left at intersection that said 373. Went a little further and saw a sign for St Prime. Looked on local map when we got back and found this trail, but not the one we take coming up from 355. Made it to Roberval. All was good. Stayed at Chateau Roberval, nice place, but this is the second time we stayed there this year and the hot tub was not working both times. My wife has no sympathy? 290 miles.

Day 2

Everything fresh groomed up to LaDore. Stopped to top off gas and off to Chibougamou.. About 5 miles out groomer turned onto local trail and 93 turned into a goat path up to the log yard. We did not stop for gas, trying to see if our 3 1200s could make it the distance, Trail got better up to Relai du Nord. Lunch and on the trail. Better from here on to Hotel Chiboug. Made it to gas with no problem, Had gas with if needed. 200 miles, short day.

Day 3

Fresh groomed to Chapais, gas and go. Very good to Label sur quevillon, what a ride!!! On to Val Dor.Stopped at Lovicourt for lunch,This area has some of the best trails I have ever ridden in Quebec. 83 to Val Dor, perfect. Stayed at Forestel, Very nice place, Some construction going on in the hotel but no problems, easy to find from the trail. 296 easy miles.

Day 4

Headed west on 83 to ride local trails. Cant believe how many great trails they have in this area, Iceman might be right, West is Best. Got off to a slow start this morning, one of our group had a " problem getting up today" Took some side trails up to Amos and back on 93 to 313 to 83 to Senneterre for the night. Stayed at Hotel Senabi. Nice older place, easy in easy out. 230 miles of seeing the sites on great trails.

Day 5

Out on 83 west. Cloudy day and rough trail, Went into Lac Fallon for gas top off, trail in and out of there was great. Back on 83 trail sucked. Snowed all the way thru burnt forest, couldnt see a thing and I dont think the groomer has been thru in a long time, hard ride to Clova. Gas and Lunch and a look at the train accident site. On to Parent. Trail fresh groomed from here on, nice. Had cabin booked for nite, but could not find it. Met 2 guys we had been following all day at gas stop and they thought ther were some rooms left at the place they were staying, but warned us it was no Holiday Inn. Turned out to be back trailer at Motel Central. If you have been there you know what they meant. Tuned out ok, met some other nice sleddrs there, 248 miles.

Day 6

83 out to Casey first tracks on fresh groom, south to Lac Repo. Good all the way. Gas and go to St Micheal. Good all the way to the 360, and the a little rough to st Micheal. Gas and on to Cabanon. 260 miles.

Day 7

Woke up to 4 police cars in the yard. Some guys tryed to steal 2 sleds late at night and were caught by some of the staff. Did not get all of thr details, but one of the staff was nursing a black eye. Back to the truck on 23, fresh groomed for first 50 miles, last 35 rough. Truck still had gas when we retuned. Great week despite the fact that it snowed every day but one, Some great trails and some places we have not been before. Happy trails.

Nice report. Regarding the attempted theft, what place was this...Le Cabanon?

Nice report. Regarding the attempted theft, what place was this...Le Cabanon?

Yes, Le Cabanon. I think they may have caught someone. but we could not get many details. They did not get the sleds, but screwed up the key switches.

Same here, was there on Thursday. Nice place, $2.50 OUCH ! However a very nice coffee w/ Bailys.

Yes, 2.50 ltr. Ouch. Thankfully had enough to reach Lac Fallion, although there were probably 10 sleds lined up . . .with the riders bending over :)

Very nice lodge for a break, beer and fire. Almost so comfy I didn't want to put my boots back on. Add that to the very friendly and attractive bartender and it's worth the stop.

post-1561-0-42335900-1362496583_thumb.jpg

Melanie, yep she's a cutie but leave your boots on and she'll thump ya! New owners / staff are very nice and food is good too but it is pricey. My favorite is still Hotel Tamarac, nice as they come and food is unreal! Last time Carole made chicken and ribs !!!!!!! Oh was it good.....