Trip Report Jan 12-??????

iceman

Here is the way I see take it for what its worth.

Left monday from the house headed up TQ3 after about 6-7 miles the effects of the rain were apparent and my sled was running hot. We realized quickly going to La Tuque and up 355 was not to be.

Returned to house, carefully negotiating all the Ice covered driveway and roadway there we loaded sleds.

Make a quick pit stop and had some Ice Scratchers put on by my Moto Thibault pit crew, then in 15 minutes after arriving we were off "like a prom dress" destination Roquemont in St Raymond.

Arrived to find total ice in parking like scary to walk on for fear of breaking your ass stuff. Saw two trucks from Maine guys had just arrived. Talked to one guy said they were headed north up 23 on Tues morning. We had lunch then headed up TQ23. First 15 miles were iffy at best but it quickly got better in Parc. Cruised into Le Etape from there to Apica good. After Apica snow dropped off again and trail was super hard. Rideable yes. Made it to Chicoutimi.

Yesterday left Hotel the took 368 to local to 83 to Local to 383 to cross Fjord on the Ice. All not bad. Nothing super but rideable. Crossed Fjord. A bit of water and very slushy but i was not going slow and taking in the sights, i was crossing "warp speed full ahead". North of Fjord is where its at. 93 to 328 to the Mont Valin. All real nice. There were some water holes and streams running flooding a few places.

Bras Louis had 4-5" new snow on it and was dreamy. Rode up Bras Louis and alittle toward Onitchaway all new snow. onitchway trail we were breaking trail. Decided to head back to Passion Quebec and here we sit.

Now everything that was soft and slushy is not this morning. Here will be fine with the new snow in the past few days. My wife said was rain monday night into Tuesday morning at home so theres no no way its better there now. With the cold back will be all Ice.

Forecast is for maybe a cm of snow in Shawingan today. Not enough. Now if all the flurries in the next coming days add up it will bring it back. A good snow is needed.

As for us well we just might have to stay up here until we feel good about being able to get back to the truck. It rained more in st raymond monday night into tuesday too.

Improvise and Overcome

Edited by iceman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Don,

You're a trooper out there doing the recon. Stay in the mountains & cut up all the orange trails in the Zec.

I've decided to push my start date of Friday off until we get a minimum of 4-5 " of snow down south.

Be safe & do the snow dance!

Tom

Edited by Florida Snowman

You're a real die hard Don, thanks for being the scout and show us the path to paradise stay cool and ride on Iceman.

For sure more snow is needed and unless we get some some in the near future my riding plans for next week will be postponed too, no hotels reserved not for the middle of the week so we're not sweating it.

Ice scratchers are a must

Keep us posted Don really appreciate it

JG

My region Monteregie all red lights except for my club there may be hope after all to leave from the yard.

thanks, Iceman. In days past, before all the internet info, we used to just head like you did, and still had some good trips, around some bad spots Sounds like that's where you're at, hope the rest is all good. appreciate the reports!

Taking the Jack Daniels at Hotel Pel Chat. Escoumins.

Left Passion QC around 10am no hurry. TQ 93 to Sacre Couer and Coronet. One word "Dreamy" absolutely amazing run. Good snow real super. Near Coronet a bit Icy but loose enough with all the tour traffic.

Gas and go at Coronet. Down 93 to 3 east all rideable not great a little Icy. Not far from 3/93 junction has a nice new layer of snow all on it. Rode up to the Escoumins Relay. Then headed for the cut across to bypass Escoumins and headed up 3 toward Forrestville. Went about 30miles or so then up an Orange Local trail just to explore. i knew it was a Cul de sac but it was very nice and had new snow from a few days ago I guess. It was fun.

Turned back and ran back to 3 then back to Escoumins and Here we are. No other sledders in sight.

Met guys coming from Baie Comeau and from ferry Matane. Not good over on the south of river, but good from Baie Comeau.

They were headed back toward QC city on 3 I do not envy them. I wish them luck though nice bunch of guys.

For us its up the Pel Chat trail then back to Mont Valin and who knows. Probably stay at Passion QC for a day or two.

Lise and Vincent at Passion Quebec are top shelf and really go out of the way to help you no matter what you need.

Big thanks to them for the hospitality. I found a new buddy to ride my KLR with in the off season. Looking forward to Vincent showing me around the dirt roads on valin this summer.

Chow 4 now

Edited by iceman

Are you saying 355 to La Tuque is not passable? Or could you not get to 355? I plan on taking 360 east on Friday to 355 and then up 73.

Trails here in St. Zenon area are good. Hard base no ice on the trails just the parking lots. You also have to stay out of the towns streets are bare.

Are you saying 355 to La Tuque is not passable? Or could you not get to 355? I plan on taking 360 east on Friday to 355 and then up 73.

Trails here in St. Zenon area are good. Hard base no ice on the trails just the parking lots. You also have to stay out of the towns streets are bare.

I am saying on Monday we could not get from Shawinigan to the 355. I cannot tell you what its like.

We will be trying on friday morn from Comfort inn Shawinigan to get to 355 all the way to Roberval. If Shawinigan is a no go, we'll trailer to the Roquemont and take 23 up. I love Shawinigan area, but one of the reasons its nice is its 90% locals, and they dont go out when its less than perfect( why should they) so the trails dont get ground up by sleds. Also , the 355 has low elevation the entire route which generally means less snow and this yr more ice.

St. Raymond gets a lot more traffic so Im guessing the ice there will be ground up a little by all the sleds. Also,once you climb on 23 to the 1st lake, its a different (snowier) world from there all the way till you drop down onto the Sagueney plain.

Good luck and stay safe to all this weekend. :drinks:

great info, sounds like a good ride!

i am leaving in 9 hrs with some off trail buddies, staying at lise/vincents as usual and as you said, great people

ask vincent what happened to his shoes after a party at auberge! funny story how he drove all the way back to valinouet. tell him hello and i will see him tommorrow, please.

i have a outside webcam bought and ready for a friend up that way to install at vincents store for weather conditions 24/7! should be installed very soon!

Edited by monster performance

Hey Iceman, I'm one of the guys from the Baie Comeau area. Great ride today. Thanks for the advice on that shortcut trail. Made it to st simione, motel horizon for the night. Then tomorrow we head back to 4 points Sheraton. Should be interesting.

Hey Iceman, I'm one of the guys from the Baie Comeau area. Great ride today. Thanks for the advice on that shortcut trail. Made it to st simione, motel horizon for the night. Then tomorrow we head back to 4 points Sheraton. Should be interesting.

Glad to be abe to help. St. Simeon awesome great place to run to QC City from. Go get em guys. Happy Trails. Anything you need just ask.

Don

Watch out for Pinky in the side-by-side up there!

Did you put on the front scratchers? They throw mad crumbs, until they fall off. I guess being gentle backing up when they're frozen/brittle can extend the life. We need a way to tuck them up when not in use. (Damn that reminds me of PINKY!)

Watch out for Pinky in the side-by-side up there!

Did you put on the front scratchers? They throw mad crumbs, until they fall off. I guess being gentle backing up when they're frozen/brittle can extend the life. We need a way to tuck them up when not in use. (Damn that reminds me of PINKY!)

Yes got the Tric front scratchers for now. Will be getting a set that mounts to the rails in the future.

Roger that on Pinky.

i had the TRIC ones up front and had rsi on rails but they broke in half on 3rd. ride 5 minutes after iput them down , was going to replace with kimpex because the spring size is bigger . but i think i will put a second set of TRIC ONES on in differant location ,dont like the side mount cables ones as the tips are much more expensive to replace rather than 2 carbide studs..

At Passion QC, Mont Valin

Today left Escoumins on a fresh groomed TQ 3 and headed west. Headed up the Pel Chat Trail and on to the TQ 93, also fresh groomed and super nice. Down to Valinouet and took the gas (did 130 miles with a tank of Gas on the Apex XTX and had some left). Next was on to Bras Louis and "oh my 5 stars baby super duper" Had to ride it back again. Then around and back to Valinouet.

Great trails up here but we all knew that already.

130 on a tank truly amazing for an Apex

I thought so too. And trust me when i tell you I was riding her hard. Not trying to go for mileage.

9.2 gallons/34.8 liters capacity. 131 miles and took 31.5 liters to fill it.

I thought so too. And trust me when i tell you I was riding her hard. Not trying to go for mileage.

9.2 gallons/34.8 liters capacity. 131 miles and took 31.5 liters to fill it.

Geez Don you're cut'n close there

Riding miles like that on a tank have you considered a pair of these to keep you going.

Hey there, thought I would report in. After we met Iceman on the trail, we proceeded to Taddoussac over to St Simione, and stayed at Motel Horizon. 250 miles of pretty good riding that day, after the ferry riding to Motel was great! Next day rode from Motel on the 378, then 377 then back to 3, and back to 4 Points to get the truck. 130 great miles, of which the last 15 were very icy. All in all pretty darn good riding. RECAP: Started at Berniers on Monday, up to the Matane ferry for Tuesday at 2PM (395 miles). Then Wednesday and Thursday back down the north side. Great ride, 787 total miles over 4 days.