oliette/St-Zénon/Mattawin photo ride-report 18 january 2014

towing

Hi everybody ! finally, here it is: last Saturday 18 january ride report…with pics!!!

Our last ride was already dated from December 28 ... New Year's party + organization and execution of a family trip had monopolized the first half of January , a trip that was a success and gave us unforgettable family memories for our whole life, but I must confess that we were in serious lack of sleeding ! What’s better than a crazy 300+miles day to get back in !

Here the day ride: having dinner at Marineau via St-Zenon roundtrip from home near joliette

carte_zps94421300.jpg

We usually do this ride as a loop, riding south first (Shawinigan) and then the path above to comeback because this last path is longer and more twistie therefore slower than the #3trail and the St -Maurice … We often do the loop on this same side but we usually have the lunch in St-Zenon because it’s too long… 150miles before lunch!!! Because of the thaw we wanted to keep on the north side so we concluded that many miles are never too much and went with the unreasonable option !

At ride start from home shortly before 8:00 am. My parking lot was on glare ice and we only got this inch or so of fluffy stuff over since the thaw.

DSC00671_zpsd8bb12a8.jpg

-10C and a very hazy sky

DSC00673_zpsac8763d8.jpg

The snow cover is still very good , no dirt anywhere but a very hard trail base with just enough loose granular snow over to lubricate and keep things cool.
The rising sun was just behind us.

DSC00679_zps153a4cd5.jpg

It was fog banks , it was freezing solid in Krikri helmet visor like freezing rain and also in the top of my windshield that fortunately deflected air high enough to keep my visor clean.

DSC00687_zpsc0e6fcde.jpg

Here near the #131 road crossing in Joliette. Snow was a bit dirty just close to the road and then it all comes good

DSC00688_zpsc55d5784.jpg

The fog faded a little when we crossed wood sections like around St Felix de Valois areas but was back in the fields to St- Gabriel de Brandon

DSC00699_zps630b063c.jpg

DSC00703_zps7a6b8eae.jpg

As for the trails they had been groomed to give us a good layer of loose stuff over this hard base. Here on the old railway line just north of St -Cleophas .

DSC00704_zps4f98430b.jpg

Despite the fog, we arrived on time at our meeting point with our buddy Bily in St- Gabriel de Brandon.

DSC00710_zpscfffa7e7.jpg

Our venture changed his look with a white frosty nose !

DSC00708_zpsa07b0768.jpg

DSC00711_zps7a8ca735.jpg

So we continued to the north with our friend Bily. Fog was very dense in the fields in St- Damien de Brandon

DSC00714_zpsfea67797.jpg

But as soon as we begin to climb the mountains in St- Damien ... one minute after the previous picture ..

DSC00719_zps6e087128.jpg

We suddenly got out of the clouds and this beautiful sunny sky joined us for the rest of the morning . Frost in the trees branches with the sun gives a very nice scenery and snow conditions also improves a good shot once in the mountains, more snowy and less crusty.

DSC00730_zps3f20b904.jpg

And the trail base had even more loose stuff over

DSC00740_zps5ee499ee.jpg

DSC00742_zpsff99b026.jpg

The preference are different for each peoples as for good trails but for me it was close to perfection: a hard trail base that give plenty of bite for my snowtrackers carbides, trails that had been surfaced for several weeks and now all well sculpted and profiles to give a smooth and fluid driving experience + nice temperature and a beautiful sky ...

DSC00746_zps93a919c6.jpg

We pause for a fuel pit stop at Réal Massé matter of having peace of mind to go to Mattawin about 100 miles away

DSC00752_zps86f6e997.jpg

The #23 towards the Cabanon was perfect

DSC00756_zps549a2133.jpg

DSC00757_zpsfb3b0a3d.jpg

Very beautiful and no sand at all near the Cabanon

DSC00765_zps5c7f85fe.jpg

We continue north on beautiful trails

DSC00770_zps7939327f.jpg

DSC00773_zps7fd8ec3d.jpg

The higher up north we went and less thaw effects were felt , although there was some curve exits where the acceleration strip was swept which exposes the icy base.

DSC00777_zpsb181e655.jpg

DSC00780_zps64add7f5.jpg

We head towards the Mattawin river bridge. DSC00791_zpsb3a667af.jpg

DSC00794_zps39639809.jpg

Where we took a break. We were alone when we arrived but two big sledders groups arrived few minutes later

DSC00807_zpsd43e980d.jpg

We then took the beautiful #360 trail eastbound

DSC00815_zpsf480bf4b.jpg

That run along the Mattawin river in several places

DSC00840_zps9e7a31e7.jpg

DSC00820_zpsf0dfebff.jpg

Offering outstanding views of the big river. Notice the mirror effect of trees in the water on these 2 next pics ...

DSC00824_zpsef3220d1.jpg

DSC00839_zpsacbb0301.jpg

We had to stop at this point of view on the rapids of the river that I love. The current flow of the river is very high because the Taureau reservoir is currently being emptied through it to be prepared to welcome the spring waters

DSC00846_zps28cba7a8.jpg

DSC00849_zps2cef2f66.jpg

There was a couple who were already there and had chosen the place for dinner ...

DSC00861_zps1983cb12.jpg

They did not have the choice to eat standing because the table was uh ... say already full!

DSC00847_zpsb83ac341.jpg

We then took back the #360 to Mattawin

DSC00879_zps6a359280.jpg

Rear view with Bily following us ...

DSC00881_zps203c0fbd.jpg

Here the classical view of the river just few miles before Mattawin (also called Trois-Rives)

DSC00890_zpsc2085849.jpg

Here just after crossing the #155 road when climbing the mountain just before arriving, an example of swept strip exposing the ice ... nothing dramatic because it was just too easy to shift beside to get traction.

DSC00900_zps0b29b469.jpg

And we arrived at the destination for lunch at 13:00 with a solid 151 miles on the dreameter. Given the foggy conditions at beginning, the distance and type of trail on the St-Gabriel/Cabanon section is a record for us. The people and the food always excellent at this spot.

DSC00903_zpsac2362a2.jpg

After a good meal and a fuel fill up, we took back the trail and retrace our steps back ... Goods observers will notice something different on this pic ...

DSC00925_zps5c0d9808.jpg

Yes, not the same windshield ! my venture follows us ! Bily was kind enough to let us try his beautiful touring machine... My lady has not loved the ride but on my side I liked it but it's very different! if you count my last venture 2005 + this 2007 , it makes us more than 40 000 miles(70 000kms) and our tenth year on essentially the same machine, finely adjusted to ​​our taste ... it will not be easy to change but we will have to make a move for next year , we had to begin to look at the menu !

DSC00921_zps586d596c.jpg

To make different, we took the #M20 trail that Bily had never tried yet and that we love.

DSC00930_zps41f0aeee.jpg

This trail is always fun to do and we took a break near this fall

DSC00938_zpse8c23e80.jpg

But the time flies and the sun was already low ...

DSC00944_zpsf8531cd3.jpg

We continue our ride on the M20 and next switched on the #345 to the east. It was then unfortunately too late for pics

DSC00951_zps903b0496.jpg

We then returned by the morning path with a little variation as we passed on the dam instead of the bridge to cross the Mattawin river (small mistake I did on my path plan the day) Taureau reservoir is already lowered significantly, at least fifteen feet.

Conditions throughout were good although a little choppy by the day traffic. We stopped for supper at Réal Massé around 8:00 p.m.

DSC00967_zps00496d26.jpg

And went back to our starting point by the exact same route as in the morning. We crossed a couple dozers when we ride down to St- Gabriel de Brandon where we left Bily. The return went well and we finally got home just before 11:00 p.m. well satiated with 326 miles on the dreameter.

To conclude, the snow cover is still good everywhere on the route covered but much better going north. The mountains north of St- Gabriel marked a good difference. The trail base is very hard with some icy spots but all trails have all been regroomed and there is a good layer of loose stuff to lubricate and keep things cool even in the south of Lanaudiere, no scratchers needed. We don’t got more at home but they got 2-3 inches of fluffy snow last night in St-Zenon area.
Because of the icy base you may encounter, I suggest a set of carbides in good condition to be sure to keep your right side on an icy curve. If you have studded track, it is very good but not mandatory ... adjust your driving accordingly and ride safely

Conditions are good to excellent, it’s time to enjoy now… you never know what mother nature reserve us for the future? Hopefully many weeks of riding still, but don't wait if you don't need the season is now!!!

Bye !

Alain

Excellent report Alain and I love the new font real classy, trails have surprisingly held up very well and thanks for confirming that for us.

Your new ride in the future.....are you planning to stay with a Yamaha.

I'll be up there soon

JG

Great report!! I even know some of the places...I liked my visit at Real Masse! Would love to go fishing there one day.

Happy Trails!

Linda

Fantastic report and photos ! You are awesome. Best trail reports around. We are on our way up this weekend. Looks like trails shaped up nicely...especially north. We will probably ride from Cabanon north. Have never seen the Taureau lake dam. I cant wait! Thanks again for the great pics. Forcast looks coooold this week!

Excellent report Alain and I love the new font real classy, trails have surprisingly held up very well and thanks for confirming that for us.

Your new ride in the future.....are you planning to stay with a Yamaha.

I'll be up there soon

JG

Thanks JG ! for the new ride, i'm not brand loyal...I have my eyes wide opened and will buy the one that I think will suit my needs the best... What I know for the moment is AD Boivin doesn't manufacture skids anymore so it won't be an option. I'm a bit puzzle for the moment because I was thinking a BRP touring SE would be not too far from my actual setup in term of smoothness and in fact it was far... maybe adjustments? I will try others test rides...

A very beautiful area for sure. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

mike

You're welcome Mikerider

Great report and pics ! Seems we ran a lot of the same paths .

Did you feed the hungry grey jays at the M20/345 ?

This pic is from sunday

No, we took a good break there and no one show up. We had not been lucky to see some in our last stop at this point. Few years ago it was a real joke, We just had to stop the engine and before we would get off the sled here what we get...

DSC03512_zps537817ac.jpg

Sometimes they are just near the falls I show in my report.

Great Report Alain, You have a special girl there that likes to ride so many miles.

Yes you're right Snobeeleler... didn't meet another one that would do those miles in backseat

As usual Alain a superb report and pictures!

Andy

Thanks Andy!

Great report!! I even know some of the places...I liked my visit at Real Masse! Would love to go fishing there one day.

Happy Trails!

Linda

Thanks Linda! would be a great fishing spot in summer for sure!

Thanks Alain for the great report once again, conditions look great, we will be headed across the border this coming weekend.

2-3 inches of fluffy stuff in st-Zénon area sunday night, crazy cold in the last days...looks good for the next weekend!

Great Report!

Looks Like a perfect day!

Yes sir, it was a good one!

Gorgeous.

Thx for sharing.

Thanks 1m4snow!

Fantastic report and photos ! You are awesome. Best trail reports around. We are on our way up this weekend. Looks like trails shaped up nicely...especially north. We will probably ride from Cabanon north. Have never seen the Taureau lake dam. I cant wait! Thanks again for the great pics. Forcast looks coooold this week!

You finally got the pictures you were looking for !!!

I read on the french forum feedback from St-Donat that the Lake was OK, ice safe and enought snow to lube and cool. Have fun in my playground and ride safely!

Thank you Alain.

Your reports and advice are appreciated.

326 miles two up is a heck of a day. Well done.

You are welcome GT Rider! it's big miles, especially for the track we choose but it was all fun!!

great trip report.how many miles from jolliete to Shawinigan or time?

about 90 miles by trail

dooright...is right! in fact, Depending where you start exactly in Joliette, if you do it by the south trail #3 it would be around 80 miles and if you drive north then east on the #23 it would be more in the 100miles range..