The Accidents begin.....

iceman

1 hour ago, PLAYHARD said:

Such a horrible waste. Its' so important for every rider to be a positive advocate for awareness & prevention. "Keeping Right" in more ways than one. Maybe then each life lost can have more meaning, and truly rest in peace.

58ceb27f8ba68_Wordstoliveby.thumb.jpg.ec43465257b8dfad07899c14b0eec816.jpg

Right on David!  

My right ski stays at the right edge period!  I always imagine a solid yellow line down the middle of every trail.  My left ski should never cross that yellow line.  Ever!  Keep your hands on the handlebars.  Stop with trying to signal that someone is behind you.  I don't care who's behind you.  I want you to stay on your right edge and your side of the yellow line & maintain complete control over your snowmobile.  Giving me hand signals only decreases the control you have of your sled.   I always assume someone is coming at me around every turn or every blind hill.  That's why I stay at the right edge so I know that I'm prepared for that careless idiot coming at me!

Most, but certainly not all, of these fatalities are related to alcohol consumption, night time riding, water crossings (drownings) & excessive speed (lack of control) or any combination of the above.  

It is so sad to lose anyone.  Entire families are devastated & affected forever. Snowmobiling is a great passion we all enjoy.  These accidents & fatalities can only enable politicians & legislators to write & enact more restrictive laws & regulations against our sport.  

Education is the key!   Many snowmobilers out there haven't even heard the basic things I'm speaking about above.  That's a shame.  Most would gladly change and adapt their riding techniques to safer standards if they were educated about them.  A new pamphlet needs to be written & distributed ASAP.  

Who's available to help write it?

Stay safe & stay right,

Tom

Edited by Florida Snowman

A long time ago when trail grooming was just getting started there was a section of trail near lac des Plages that was 2 lanes each about 5 ft wide with a 3 ft or so snow median between. I remember thinking man have they got this figured out, less danger of meeting a sled head on. Now they groom trails wider and there is always a danger a dim watt is going to use all of it. Maybe they should reconsider the two lane idea.

We just had one in Vermont this past weekend:  http://www.thevermontstandard.com/2017/03/dogs-devastating-struggle-ends-in-rescue/

You have to wonder why he was riding with no helmet - although it may not have saved him due to the speed involved. Helmets are required for snowmobiling in Vermont. Vermont also has a mandatory safety course that must be completed by anyone born after 1983 - resident or non-resident. Compliance via trailside stops. Again, unsure if this person took it or was riding illegally.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, Cnc said:

A long time ago when trail grooming was just getting started there was a section of trail near lac des Plages that was 2 lanes each about 5 ft wide with a 3 ft or so snow median between. I remember thinking man have they got this figured out, less danger of meeting a sled head on. Now they groom trails wider and there is always a danger a dim watt is going to use all of it. Maybe they should reconsider the two lane idea.

Like a divided highway, there is a safety value to divided trails. As someone who grooms, I can say that when they did this, it was difficult to establish and maintain. Those trails kept machines in such a fixed track that the surface actually didn't last as long as an undivided trail does now. There were also those who would jump the berm - or try - which created different issues.

Sadly, like automobiles (or any other vehicle we use to move our bodies faster than walking speed), there are always risks. It seems there are always people who do things/make decisions that lead to bad outcomes. Years ago when I took the safety class with my children the instructor made a remark that has stayed with me. "When snowmobiling always expect the unexpected and never be complacent." I think its good advice.

On 3/19/2017 at 3:48 PM, Cnc said:

I remember those trails.The only time they were good was when they were fresh groomed.They were found to be much more unsafe and the best thing they did was get rid of them.The corners would get blown out and then you were on the wrong side and it wasn't always easy to get back into your own lane.They caused a lot of head on crashes.If you caught up to a slow group you were stuck behind them for a long time and would have to make many jumps back and forth over the berm to get by everyone unless there was a very long straightaway and you could clearly see ahead and safely pass the entire group and then the rest of  your passing group also faced the same dilemma.And as VTblue stated they didn't hold up after being groomed anywhere near as long as the trails we enjoy now.Every single sled rode in the exact same track as the sled before it.Imagine if everyone only rode the extreme right now.The trails hold up as well as they do now because everyone can pick a different line and spread the abuse out.Ride right in the corners but where you can see ahead enjoy the smooth parts of the trail.If you want to always ride extreme right ,than thanks for leaving me the middle on the straights.

The more you ride the higher the stakes. Simply put you HAVE to expect to have a sled coming at you around every corner and over every rise. NEVER let your guard down. If you run the miles like my son and I do you can be pretty much assured your going to have a least one close call every time out. We run hard but stay right and I mean WAY RIGHT in all blind or limited vision corners and over over hills, we corner at safe speeds. Close calls still happen all the time as there is always some clown cutting a corner or riding way too fast for the conditions or their abilities.

Anyway, there is inherent risk in everything we do. Just a shame that some take stupid risks or don't put any thought into what they are doing and how it endangers themselves and others.

Ride safe

Gowser

I saved this one, I read it now and again.............  No I don't know the guys, but can feel their pain.......

Just like you-

I am not a writer. In fact, this is the first time I've written anything since college. I am, however, a snowmobiler.

My friends and I are probably just like you. We are all in our late twenties to early thirties, and single white males. We have pretty good jobs; some own their house, others rent. We hunt and fish, watch football and NASCAR, go to bars and church festivals. We have problems with women, like fast cars and Schwartzeneggar movies. We think we can dance, but look like Frankenstein having a seizure when a girl drags us onto the floor. We could probably switch places with any of you and fit right into your group.

We have owned sleds from all manufacturers over the years. Our first sleds were junkpiles and we still make fun of them. We work on our own sleds and help each other with theirs. We watch the weather forecasts waiting for snow and read all the snowmobiling magazines drooling over the new sleds. We put 600 miles on the truck to put 200 on the sled. We have all entered corners too fast, and all missed turns at night at one time or another. We laughed at slow riders that putted along at 15 mph. We rode with the feeling of invincibility that only youth can bring.

Our youth ended February 14, 2003.

In a small town about 10 miles South of Crandon, at 11:00 PM my friend Jim Smolen lost his life. He was only 28. He died within a half mile of the cabin, within half an hour of unloading the sleds off of the trailer. The reconstruction showed that he hit a stump under the snow, was thrown off, and hit a tree. At least he didn't suffer. Excessive speed was believed to have been involved, even though the sled wasn't wrecked. It looked like he just stepped off of it. He did have ONE or TWO beers, but I must say that I have seen people drink much more - I'm not condoning it, but I know you have too. Jim was riding as long as I can remember, 5+ years at least, riding the same sled he had for three years. We have all seen the articles in the papers that give little detail; letting us assume it was an inexperienced rider, totally drunk, on a brand new, huge displacement sled.

What the newspaper articles do not show is how it affects everyone else. They don't show the undescribable horror of seeing a close friend lying in the snow bleeding from the eyes, ears, nose and mouth. They don't show the blank stare in his unblinking eyes as you try to remember the CPR you learned in high school. They don't show the panic felt during the longest half mile you will ever ride back to the cabin to call 911. They don't show the feeling of helplessness as you spend the longest HALF HOUR of your life waiting for an ambulance. They don't tell about men who haven't prayed in years dropping to their knees and saying a prayer. They don't show the feeling of uneasiness as you drive HIS truck to the hospital. They don't show the cold you feel as you wait until 4:30AM when the doctors give you the news you already knew but still can't bring yourself to hear. They don't tell the flood of emotions you feel as you have to call your friend's parents in the middle of the night to tell them that their son has died. They don't mention that none of his friends will get any sleep for days. They don't mention the nightmares when they do. They don't tell about the DNR showing up at 8:00AM the next day to fill out paperwork and make them relive it all again. They don't tell about grown men breaking down and crying. They don't tell about the longest, quietest drive home ever.

His roommate is the one who found him, called his parents, and drove his truck home. He has closed the kitchen window blinds so he doesn't have to see his truck. He had to close the kitchen cabinet to keep from seeing his box of corn flakes. He is now afraid of the dark. Our season is over.

The human body is so frail, so easily damaged. If you have an accident in a big city, help is only about five minutes away. If you have an accident in the north woods help could be forty miles away or more. Think about it: that's like having an accident in Milwaukee and having to wait for an ambulance from Illinois. And then having to go to a hospital back in Illinois.

I am not asking for speed limits, or other restrictions. Just please, PLEASE be careful. Slow down just a little. Skip that beer and have a soda instead. Ask yourself if it is worth the consequences to go flying through the woods. Your friends WILL wait for you. Death is forever. Think of all the good times you would miss. Take a little time and look at the beauty of nature. There are those that no longer can.

We laid Jim to rest today. If only one person is affected by this pointless loss, and a single life is saved, Jim's death would have meaning and all of us could have some closure.

I know you think that this only happens to "the other guy". So did we. Just like you.

Justin, Dan, Joe, Jim G., Randy, and Craig

Markusvt,

I wanted to click like on your post above but that did not seem appropriate. Sad story and I hope that this and other stories like it will stay in our minds and remind us to exercise a little more caution and be vigilant always. Thank's for posting this.

Very sobering and sad article....but one that hopefully inspires responsible riding in everyone. Snowmobiling,to me, is one of the most fun recreational activities...but it comes with quite a bit of risk. Hopefully no more tragic events this season....and a lot less next season. 

On 3/29/2017 at 7:56 PM, markusvt said:

I saved this one, I read it now and again.............  No I don't know the guys, but can feel their pain.......

Just like you-

I am not a writer. In fact, this is the first time I've written anything since college. I am, however, a snowmobiler.

My friends and I are probably just like you. We are all in our late twenties to early thirties, and single white males. We have pretty good jobs; some own their house, others rent. We hunt and fish, watch football and NASCAR, go to bars and church festivals. We have problems with women, like fast cars and Schwartzeneggar movies. We think we can dance, but look like Frankenstein having a seizure when a girl drags us onto the floor. We could probably switch places with any of you and fit right into your group.

We have owned sleds from all manufacturers over the years. Our first sleds were junkpiles and we still make fun of them. We work on our own sleds and help each other with theirs. We watch the weather forecasts waiting for snow and read all the snowmobiling magazines drooling over the new sleds. We put 600 miles on the truck to put 200 on the sled. We have all entered corners too fast, and all missed turns at night at one time or another. We laughed at slow riders that putted along at 15 mph. We rode with the feeling of invincibility that only youth can bring.

Our youth ended February 14, 2003.

In a small town about 10 miles South of Crandon, at 11:00 PM my friend Jim Smolen lost his life. He was only 28. He died within a half mile of the cabin, within half an hour of unloading the sleds off of the trailer. The reconstruction showed that he hit a stump under the snow, was thrown off, and hit a tree. At least he didn't suffer. Excessive speed was believed to have been involved, even though the sled wasn't wrecked. It looked like he just stepped off of it. He did have ONE or TWO beers, but I must say that I have seen people drink much more - I'm not condoning it, but I know you have too. Jim was riding as long as I can remember, 5+ years at least, riding the same sled he had for three years. We have all seen the articles in the papers that give little detail; letting us assume it was an inexperienced rider, totally drunk, on a brand new, huge displacement sled.

What the newspaper articles do not show is how it affects everyone else. They don't show the undescribable horror of seeing a close friend lying in the snow bleeding from the eyes, ears, nose and mouth. They don't show the blank stare in his unblinking eyes as you try to remember the CPR you learned in high school. They don't show the panic felt during the longest half mile you will ever ride back to the cabin to call 911. They don't show the feeling of helplessness as you spend the longest HALF HOUR of your life waiting for an ambulance. They don't tell about men who haven't prayed in years dropping to their knees and saying a prayer. They don't show the feeling of uneasiness as you drive HIS truck to the hospital. They don't show the cold you feel as you wait until 4:30AM when the doctors give you the news you already knew but still can't bring yourself to hear. They don't tell the flood of emotions you feel as you have to call your friend's parents in the middle of the night to tell them that their son has died. They don't mention that none of his friends will get any sleep for days. They don't mention the nightmares when they do. They don't tell about the DNR showing up at 8:00AM the next day to fill out paperwork and make them relive it all again. They don't tell about grown men breaking down and crying. They don't tell about the longest, quietest drive home ever.

His roommate is the one who found him, called his parents, and drove his truck home. He has closed the kitchen window blinds so he doesn't have to see his truck. He had to close the kitchen cabinet to keep from seeing his box of corn flakes. He is now afraid of the dark. Our season is over.

The human body is so frail, so easily damaged. If you have an accident in a big city, help is only about five minutes away. If you have an accident in the north woods help could be forty miles away or more. Think about it: that's like having an accident in Milwaukee and having to wait for an ambulance from Illinois. And then having to go to a hospital back in Illinois.

I am not asking for speed limits, or other restrictions. Just please, PLEASE be careful. Slow down just a little. Skip that beer and have a soda instead. Ask yourself if it is worth the consequences to go flying through the woods. Your friends WILL wait for you. Death is forever. Think of all the good times you would miss. Take a little time and look at the beauty of nature. There are those that no longer can.

We laid Jim to rest today. If only one person is affected by this pointless loss, and a single life is saved, Jim's death would have meaning and all of us could have some closure.

I know you think that this only happens to "the other guy". So did we. Just like you.

Justin, Dan, Joe, Jim G., Randy, and Craig

Need to repost this at the begining of every season on here and other sites.

• 2 weeks later...