Joliette/St-Zénon photo-ride report 7january2017

towing

We are just back from a fantastic week on the warm Cuba’s beaches but I was looking forward to ride the venture again since our first and only one ride was on December 17th. Without any day target other than to have fun, we left directly from home (St-Thomas de Joliette) and decided the itinerary one intersection at a time. Here is the final route that it gave:

carte2_zps9wd9emw1.jpg

The weather shock of coming back home was really present with a 52 degree C drop at -22C on this Saturday morning. It was very humid and a layer of mist was still partially shading the sun even at 10:00 am. The trails have been groomed and the quality was impeccable

DSC00006_zpsqgrhlamo.jpg

Very close to the #3/#43 trail junction there is a savanna that is always longer to freeze and it is with no surprise that we saw this hot hole in the middle that can be easily cross on each side. The good surprise is that the driver of the dozer had taken the trouble to back on several hundred meters on each side of the woody section to surface the whole trail just apart from the hot hole: I raise my hat to Carcamp snowmobile club!

DSC00010_zpsetug0996.jpg

We then took the #3 trail eastbound. The pines of the windbreak lines typical of the place were all frosted over a small layer of remaining ice from the previous ice storm.

DSC00017_zpsnbgs948x.jpg

With the little haze still floating it was really beautiful

DSC00018_zpsbegk5m87.jpg

DSC00024_zpsoflxdawm.jpg

Winter in all its splendor!

DSC00027_zps67bjixvq.jpg

We were pleasantly surprised by the amount of snow to the ground and the trail conditions look more like a late January than beginning, a very beautiful start. Here we see a little more the traces of the last ice storm

DSC00036_zpsqi7rzw7c.jpg

DSC00038_zpsyqqjujsy.jpg

On the #3 trail a little east of Berthier, the Bayonne river is already ready and I am surprised to see that the dozer has even crossed it! Look at my mirror, it's so humid that a frost has formed over it! First time it does that ...

DSC00042_zps8rhn4oqv.jpg

Surely no stranger with the haze that still floating over the snow ...

DSC00052_zpsurqj6vy0.jpg

With all those fields in perfect conditions our rhythm was obviously fast and the cold biting so we decide to fork on the #63 to the north to ride in more wooded sections, more pleasant under the circumstances.

DSC00069_zpstzxfcxnw.jpg

Here a short stop at the St-Gabriel de Brandon belvedere which is located just up a big hill north of the village named Mont Lanaudière, that was a small ski center years ago

DSC00080_zpsoqahet9z.jpg

There is still behind my sled a vestige of an old ski lift.

DSC00083_zpsdkvo2nlk.jpg

Considering the time ahead, already 11:15, getting on the # 23 north and going to have a lunch at the Réal Massé outfitter seems the perfect timing, so we continue north.

DSC00084_zpscsqwtcbz.jpg

Even more snow as we go north, here climbing the big hill in St-Damien of Brandon

DSC00088_zpscqdc33i8.jpg

The snow is not only to the ground but also in the trees creating magnificent scenery

DSC00101_zps41vbgxas.jpg

DSC00114_zpsb2sn8g97.jpg

DSC00116_zps5hogm4bq.jpg

With the deep cold the quality of trail was top notch and we could ride at good pace.

DSC00119_zpsy7j9mj7w.jpg

DSC00122_zpskcwwk0l9.jpg

It's really the big winter up there.

DSC00123_zpsoikudgks.jpg

DSC00138_zpscyfsx8n6.jpg

We arrive to eat at Réal just a few minutes before noon.

DSC00144_zpsdykqyd0u.jpg

The good hot vegetable soup of Réal, the one we could eat with a fork with his much big chunks of vegetables in, it is one of our classic of the winter, always as good and comforting!

DSC00146_zpsm8hnl7x0.jpg

Although there were quite a few people, the service was good and fast and 45 minutes later we were already on our departure. This one chose the air way to come to eat here!

DSC00149_zpsvccxdqec.jpg

Was very nice to chat with Lus lsd and his buddy BoumBoum that we had not seen for a long time

DSC00151_zpsoaurtn0e.jpg

Encouraged by the beautiful conditions beyond our expectations, we had continue on the #23 to the north

DSC00156_zpskfyyynpl.jpg

DSC00159_zpsbofkyxqv.jpg

We had first think to switch on the #350 trail towards the Glacière and then go back down south on the #63 but it ride so well that we chose to continue up north on the #23

DSC00162_zpscrzo59qe.jpg

We were not disappointed, obviously it starts having a few traffic bumps from time to time but nothing to slow our pace.

DSC00170_zpsptzhanpb.jpg

Sign that there’s alot snow there this year: no rock and no trace of sand even near the Cabanon

DSC00180_zpsp8nfkths.jpg

We finally turn on the #63 just before the Cabanon towards the village of St-Zénon

DSC00183_zps5prua7us.jpg

Here seen from behind after crossing it, a sign that it is still the beginning of the season: a small ditch not frozen. We see it well in advance and easily crosses it. There was about 2"thick water and an hard pack base

DSC00191_zpscx2xg8nz.jpg

Here the big hills towards the village of St-Zénon

DSC00198_zpsk81hbsbw.jpg

Always as fun and beautiful to ride!

DSC00204_zps3xtqhkoh.jpg

DSC00210_zpsnh5ilpyb.jpg

A little past the village of St-Zénon we stop refueling at the service station Crevier before continuing on the #63 trail south

DSC00226_zpsdaqde6lz.jpg

In Glacière direction

DSC00228_zpsffoynwvn.jpg

DSC00230_zps4ew0awtz.jpg

Very nice conditions. We pass the Glacière and continue south. Much deep snow in this area

DSC00245_zpsqccaucji.jpg

DSC00255_zpshivlwwom.jpg

At the junction with trail #343 we continue south towards Bazinet Outfitter

DSC00258_zpsnzzttk0m.jpg

The scenery is white coated there!

DSC00260_zpscem46wsl.jpg

DSC00270_zpsg4ypwn4v.jpg

The Bazinet outfitter

DSC00274_zpsku8ut1pf.jpg

I must admit that I had doubts about the next section of the #63 tot Ste-Emilie. With a more irregular base it is more difficult to get it good and we got it rought almost all last season but to our surprise it was very beautiful as I had not seen it as good since a very long time.

It was beginning to be a bit dark for moving pictures and I had to stop to avoid blurring. Here in the power line south of Ste-Émilie

DSC00280_zpsljl6jgpi.jpg

The Black river just north of the BRP Géro sled dealer is already well signposted

DSC00282_zpsigr3merw.jpg

We had continue with the sunset and took a small hot chocolate break at the TimHorton of St-Jean de Matha

DSC00285_zps2swtvitg.jpg

We then came back home around 5:15pm via #341 and #43 trails, which were still nice despite a few traffic bumps in St-Félix of Valois area.

Finally a total of 171miles in outstanding conditions, far exceeding what we were expected. The trail network is well established even in the south which already has a good snow cover now and the cold of the last days will help overcome the last recalcitrant to freeze spots thus giving us a vast playground to ride on.

Get out and enjoy, the season is on...

beer_cheers.gif

Alain

Alain.....awesome report.  The wife and i will be in the area on Jan18-22.  Staying at the Montagne Coupee.  Looks like fantastic conditions.  Quick question...i know the ice sculpture Festival in St. Come is the following week after we are there but to they start building the sculptures early ??  would love to see some ice sculptures if possible. 

Thanks !!!

VTrider

Thanks every body for the good words! as for the oncoming weather, on the forecast  we have a snow storm warning for tomorrow maybe a 6" and maybe a quarter inch of rain for Thursday with +4C with a winter return for the weekend. If this is right we will have highways for the weekend! hope it will be this...

14 hours ago, snowfarmer said:

Nice report . I forgot are these pictures taken with a go pro? I got a new camera it's a DXO one for an I-phone but the pictures are to big to download to this site. They are over 5mb.

Nah I use a Krikri Pro, take very good pics but not compatible with I-phone just with I-Pay...( I = me) ...:lol:

The camera is still our old Sony 4,1 MP, 12 years old!!! that make 1,8mb pics. You probably have a possibility in your setting to lower the quality to get acceptable file size, don't need so high MP to get good quality on internet.

53 minutes ago, VTrider said:

Alain.....awesome report.  The wife and i will be in the area on Jan18-22.  Staying at the Montagne Coupee.  Looks like fantastic conditions.  Quick question...i know the ice sculpture Festival in St. Come is the following week after we are there but to they start building the sculptures early ??  would love to see some ice sculptures if possible. 

Thanks !!!

VTrider

The St-Côme ice sculpture festival will be from january 27 to february 12 this year. They usually begin to carve in the week before so honestly, the weekend before will probably be a bit early to see something else than some big ice cube but if you are in the area you can take your chance... it's very nice to see the carvers at work.

Good luck and have a good stay and rides in my neck of the woods!

Alain

Awesome pictures and trail report! I always look forward to your reports as I often ride that area you travel. We usually depart from St Jean De Matha and head north hitting Bazinette....Masse....etc....