Saint Michelle Des Saints - X-mas

Signfan

9 hours ago, Signfan said:

How is the traffic and grooming typically over the x-mas break and new years in the area?  Do the groomers keep up with it?  Is new years day a crap shoot?  Just looking at booking a trip.

These pictures are around St. Zenon, just south of St. Michelle des Saints, Christmas Day, 2019. North of the Seven Falls area (translated) conditions were good at that time. Follow Facebook site or get on email from Lionel at Le Glacier as he is good with updates. Last year was thin and did not get started until about January as I recall.

pic02.thumb.JPG.8addc10719f30878b88a970941620b72.JPGpic03.thumb.JPG.148b94350a8c9d8d3f79e1707abdc36d.JPG

pic04.thumb.JPG.c8f809bb89e6d235368d20becc5418fd.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.8a2e2edb9a1f3dae1a00a2c26564c2b2.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.6235c3070a6fd1a243ec1b82f41a8c2d.JPG

pic01.thumb.JPG.3fe5f3d66a9e26507a95a80f10b7025e.JPG

https://laglaciere.ca/en/

Le Cabanon also has good reports on their website as well as you probably know.

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

How did u find the traffic and grooming?  Can the clubs keep up?  Or is it like going to Cochrane Ontario at x-mas that turns into a mogul field all week.

Traffic was minimal during the week. Left on a Friday - after that not sure. Grooming was fine. Here is the link to St. Michelle des Saintes Facebook page - you don't have to have a FB account to look at it although that is most convenient. Scroll down from June 2021 to early posts in December 2020. Will give you some indication as to how things were working for last year.

https://www.facebook.com/clubmotoneigesmds/

5 hours ago, slomo said:

These pictures are around St. Zenon, just south of St. Michelle des Saints, Christmas Day, 2019. North of the Seven Falls area (translated) conditions were good at that time. Follow Facebook site or get on email from Lionel at Le Glacier as he is good with updates. Last year was thin and did not get started until about January as I recall.

pic02.thumb.JPG.8addc10719f30878b88a970941620b72.JPGpic03.thumb.JPG.148b94350a8c9d8d3f79e1707abdc36d.JPG

pic04.thumb.JPG.c8f809bb89e6d235368d20becc5418fd.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.8a2e2edb9a1f3dae1a00a2c26564c2b2.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.6235c3070a6fd1a243ec1b82f41a8c2d.JPG

pic01.thumb.JPG.3fe5f3d66a9e26507a95a80f10b7025e.JPG

https://laglaciere.ca/en/

Le Cabanon also has good reports on their website as well as you probably know.

nice to see this pic...been too long!!

9 hours ago, Signfan said:

Decided we will risk the traffic.  Booked an air bnb on Lac Taureau for 4 nights over the new years weekend.  Will be good to get out riding early.  Here's hoping for some snow.

A few pics from around that area when we stayed at the condos at Lac Taureau......taken in March...but just to get you psyched for your trip!

pic02.thumb.JPG.b7e24ca3c015783e4498c74c37fbd508.JPG

pic04.thumb.JPG.2d65ed34b070923746dcd9d18ea8882a.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.f316919d5f9b067d7dce03be8436d00b.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.f8ac8a0936bb29ea5b1978c413e0249f.JPG

pic08.thumb.JPG.6983ae81b79f39f2d4e28179a1e0e256.JPG

pic09.thumb.JPG.410dc0039495fae31ca453239b1259ab.JPG

Keeping an eye on Amos for the Xmas / New Year's time frame myself. 

Yeah I looked at Abitibi.  Decided to leave it for later in the year for a ride with the wife only.  This first trip we're bringing the kids (4 and 6).  So wanted a spot with small loops and also some other neat things for them to do.  Gonna hit the tube park up and maybe trailer to Saint Donat for a day ride so they can feed the Grey Jay's on Black Mountain.  La Cabanon would have been nice with the pool, but decided against it due to covid with the kids not being vaccinated.  Anyone on here know where we can park near Saint Donat for a day loop?  

More than ten twelve years ago.  Sorry my memory is full cant remember or store any more info.....   We stayed in the Mont Tremblant area.  Just Google sled dog tours and you will find outfitters.  It is definitely a fun and new experience your family wont forget.

- - - Mac - - -

On 8/9/2021 at 12:42 PM, Signfan said:

Where is that?  Sounds like it'd be worth doing.

also hotel saccacomie great day things for the family, dog sledding, snow shoeing , x-c skiing, sledding, pool, hot tubs, sauna, masseuses, dining room, bar, fireplace, gas for sleds, very nice, upscale place, incredible views, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

So our Air bnb cancelled on us which has me back at the drawing board.  How are the trails towards Saint Donat and down near Saint-Come?  Are they woods trails, or do they have good roads like up near  Lac Taureau?  Am I getting too far south out of the x-mas snow line this far south?

St Donought is not what it used to be.  St Come is definitely not the logging roads you are used to north of SMDS. Xmas is tricky, some years no problem on snow conditions, other years it’s bring the old carbides and hope for the best.  I would not bet the farm on St Come open for Xmas.

I usually make my first trip plans for the year out of sweet baby St Raymond.  The Portneuf area typically has decent snow that time of year.  You are close to Quebec City so if you wanted other activities for the kids you can definitely accomplish both on that trip.  Granted it is a couple hours farther East for you.

19 hours ago, Signfan said:

So our Air bnb cancelled on us which has me back at the drawing board.  How are the trails towards Saint Donat and down near Saint-Come?  Are they woods trails, or do they have good roads like up near  Lac Taureau?  Am I getting too far south out of the x-mas snow line this far south?

Signfan - just a little off topic here - how can an Air bnb cancel like that? Or why would they do it? I usually stick to motels, hotels, etc. wondering if this is a common occurance with Air Bnb?

BTW - Camp Taureau lodging is also on Lac Taureau in that St. Michelle area- you can see it on the interactive map - advertises dog sledding etc. In emails with them, the wifi did not exist in the cabins if this is essential to you.

https://www.camp-taureau.com

The platform certainly discourages it, but the hosts do have final say on what occurs with their property.  The host will get fined by the platform for canceling and it is noted in their reviews.  In this instance the guy said he sold the place.  Not the end of the world being months away.  I think if it was right before the platform would have done what they could to re-book us somewhere else.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:08 PM, Je me souviens said:

I usually make my first trip plans for the year out of sweet baby St Raymond.  The Portneuf area typically has decent snow that time of year.  You are close to Quebec City so if you wanted other activities for the kids you can definitely accomplish both on that trip.  Granted it is a couple hours farther East for you.

Thanks for the feedback.  That is what I needed to know.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, Je me souviens said:

14 hours ago, Signfan said:

Thanks for the feedback.  That is what I needed to know.

Good deals at this place which is in that area - after the Ontario March break

https://www.auchaletenboisrond.com/en/

On 8/8/2021 at 10:27 PM, Signfan said:

Anyone on here know where we can park near Saint Donat for a day loop?  

On 9/2/2021 at 9:03 PM, Signfan said:

How are the trails towards Saint Donat and down near Saint-Come?  Are they woods trails, or do they have good roads like up near  Lac Taureau?  Am I getting too far south out of the x-mas snow line this far south?

Many of us have ridden it, but PM "Towing" for deepest experience & longest season in that region.

And check out LOTS of superior trip reports Alain & Kri have posted.