St-Gabriel de Brandon/St-Zénon 20dec2014 photo ride-report

towing

Krikri and I with our friend Snowcruiser started our ride from St-Gabriel de Brandon Saturday morning.

DSC04830_zpsb6e47414.jpg

It was cold in the night, still -20 °C at start... excellent for trail conditions

DSC04833_zpse1d00b32.jpg

The path of the day turns out to be this:

carte_zpsbc126747.jpg

Finally, it was not the century idea to start so much south. They were still on their first groomer shot... not need to say it was very beginning conditions

DSC04834_zpse5e3f274.jpg

In the fields between St-Gabriel and St-Damien. That does not look so bad on the pic but in reality we were continuously scraping frozen earth bumps, it was bad.

DSC04837_zps07036e4d.jpg

At the point we wonder if we should come back on the trailer to start norther, because we knew that it would be just worse at the end of the day but we persisted in thinking that trail conditions would be better when got in the mountains in St-Damien.

DSC04862_zps2b4166bb.jpg

Indeed, it was better. The snow to the ground was enough to have decent conditions but being still on the first grooming shot give a very choppy trail and we had to limit our speed around 25mph... on the other side the scenery was impressive

DSC04868_zpsde4e8cc7.jpg

DSC04905_zpse1c98df6.jpg

The conditions were miserable until a mile past Pouvoirie St-Damien

DSC04908_zps29992a72.jpg

DSC04918_zps93122a18.jpg

Then it was better with the trail on a better base and we could open a bit more while being careful because there were still large holes intermittently.

DSC04930_zps064fce80.jpg

DSC04940_zps11c4df19.jpg

I repeat myself, but the scenery was truly outstanding

DSC04947_zpsc6d9a509.jpg

DSC04957_zps8fdc20ad.jpg

And after we think that the trees were fully loaded with snow, we realized they were even more as we progressed

DSC04981_zps81bb0043.jpg

DSC05001_zpsa684d5d9.jpg

With the sun shinning it was just magical!

DSC05003_zpsf43cd1e6.jpg

We passed Réal Massé

DSC05018_zpsd2335e97.jpg

better conditions after, and once we passed the #350, conditions became winter one, beautiful and fast

DSC05034_zps4ecac4ef.jpg

DSC05044_zps3ccb1508.jpg

The trail base has improved alot from the previous week even the skis grinded the bottom sometimes but really better than I expected. The pics speak from themselves to showhow it looked

DSC05048_zps7c15062d.jpg

DSC05050_zpsf8b79158.jpg

Say we were certainly not the only ones who took alot pics with those exceptional conditions

DSC05057_zpsd4b8fe8e.jpg

DSC05059_zpsdc7cab41.jpg

DSC05064_zps2f283314.jpg

I would say they got around 4" of new snow during the week, snow to the ground had packed because mild weather so the total is not much more but it gave a good improvement for the trails condition

DSC05071_zps039749c1.jpg

DSC05072_zpse13383c1.jpg

It was so better condition that I had really regretted my starting spot so much south. Here beautiful rapid trails in addition to the incredible scenery

DSC05089_zpse6eedc33.jpg

DSC05095_zps5487b2a8.jpg

so much better!

DSC05114_zps0d937429.jpg

DSC05116_zps9541e530.jpg

It was already around 11:45, so we stopped for eating and fueling

DSC05119_zps7de8f464.jpg

At Cabanon in St-Zenon

DSC05120_zps6f598784.jpg

After lunch we took the #23/345 trail to Koubec in the Mastigouche reserve

DSC05124_zps353bc826.jpg

Again beautiful fast trail.

DSC05148_zps6e446226.jpg

DSC05164_zps48194dd0.jpg

The temperature only raised around -10°C in the afternoon helping the trail to stay strong and even with the traffic the skis were not hitting rocks too often

DSC05166_zps2cb26188.jpg

DSC05176_zpsf7e074b1.jpg

oh! someone we know ...

DSC05191_zps1959af31.jpg

Dantheskidoo, the webmaster of PassionBRP.com web site! He was at taking pics of this outstanding scenery! We stopped to talk to him a few seconds but we were in a bad spot in a curve so it was short ... We will take our next chance to talk more Dan!

DSC05194_zpsd20609ba.jpg

At the next junction, we followed the # 345 trail to Koubec and took a break at a safe place a little further. I do not remember what I was speaking about ??? a fishing story perhaps!

DSC05197_zps0f76b663.jpg

Another break near Koubec

DSC05199_zps9ee5cd25.jpg

We then took the #350 towards La Glacière...

DSC05203_zps15b503b6.jpg

DSC05205_zpsda4f11b8.jpg

This section is maintained by St-Charles de Mandeville Snowmobile Club this year. The trail to the village (St-Charles) was closed

DSC05213_zpsf8e6c642.jpg

But I raise my hat to them because they had made a damned great job on the #350 west trail. Groomed wide and beautiful

DSC05239_zpsa90267a7.jpg

They groomed it this year up to the junction with #23 trail

DSC05250_zpsb58b1d91.jpg

And we headed back toward St-Gabriel by #23 south

DSC05257_zpsc36e932d.jpg

As we expected, the conditions had not improved with the traffic flow of the day and we patiently ride back at slow speed regretting what we misses by having not started further north in the morning. If St-Gabriel re-groom this circuit, it might be good to fair between St-Damien and St-Zenon. For fields between St-Damien and St-Gabriel, it will take more snow to cover them and give acceptable conditions

We finally returned to our starting point around 5:25 p.m. with 125 miles on the dreammeter. Not a big ride but still very nice sections and incredible pics with perfect weather.

DSC05266_zpsf876ff51.jpg

Of course, Mother Nature will have the final say on how it will turn out with the trail opening... forecast are not so good actually, hoping they will be wrong. We hope for the best actually because it is already well started and most of the snowmobile clubs in the south began their trails and just a little more snow and cold would enable complete opening and connection of the trail network in our area ...

for details: Snowmobile trails in Lanaudière Mauricie - Snowmobile Country in Quebec (Maps, Trails and Snow conditions) - Tourisme Lanaudière

We keep our fingers crossed !!!

Alain

Edited by towing

Fantastic pics, Alain!

We appreciate your sharing the beauty of your rides!

Timbo

Krissy, Sabra, and I will be at Montagne Coupee in a couple of weeks. Hope to have the pleasure of meeting you and Krikri on the trail.

Thanks for the report and great pics. Things are looking up at least for now. I agree the weather does not look to good. I will cross my fingers for snow and no rain. We wanted to head somewhere Friday but the conditions and forcast are just not good enough at this point for us to make a 10.5 hour drive.

Great report Alain & pictures Krikri. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your new ride. Once you go long track you won't go back!

Happy Holidays!

Tom

You are welcome Tom! Happy Holidays and great time with your family/friends

Nice pics Alain, we all hope the forecast is WRONG.

Thanks Steve, no damage for now. We had an inch of snow this morning and a timid mist of rain in the late afternoon... keep the fingers crossed for the next 2 days.

It looks like a beautiful day. Your pics bring us there.

How do you like the new machine so far?

Thanks.

The scenery was at it's best for sure! The new ride is nice but I will need to put a set of snowtracker under the skis to appreciate the driving, got bad darting... I use olds bergstrom's runners with everlasting hard carbides to grind rocks at season's beginning and when the base is decent I switch back to snowtrackers that are great in all conditions.. except for grinding the ground and rocks at season's beginning!

I hope the get back the same easy and precise driving I had on my old one, without any darting

Always enjoy your reports and pictures!

mike

Our pleasure to share our rides Mike!

Nice pics and report Alain, what is the forecast?

Thanks viper2, You probably already know by now but there some rain pending in the forecast... the amount have been lowered at least. It seems that the wheather channels take the habit to do apocalyptic predictions on thiers forecasts... this is good for theirs audience ratings so...

For now we hope for the best, hopefully with few inches of snow for the ending

salut alain !!!

belles shots !!!

slack pas !!!

jean-guy

Salut Groomer, merci!!! I had so much good shots when I came back home from this ride it was very hard to choose... most of the time I just screen the better one and make my report with them but after the first screening it left me 78 pics!!! :help:

Fantastic pics, Alain!

We appreciate your sharing the beauty of your rides!

Timbo

Krissy, Sabra, and I will be at Montagne Coupee in a couple of weeks. Hope to have the pleasure of meeting you and Krikri on the trail.

Thank you Timbo! maybe we will cross our path... we have the 3-4 january week-end that we won't be able to ride but we should be on the trails all others one..

Alain you should be getting paid by the Quebec tourism or something you do a fantastic job !

Thank you

You are welcome Pipeman! so much people seems to appreciate and use our reports as reference that it keep us to continue...

Alain thanks again for the Monday pictures, they were so bright had to put my sunglasses on.

You are welcome mccafrey! lolll

Great pictures. Hoping it doesn't rain and mess up what little base there is.

thank you mxz700rider. The trails can take a certain amount of rain if it keep cold around freezing point and we don't get too much, in fact this can give way better trails with hardpacked base and all the rocks seal down below...a few inches of fresh stuff over that with a grooming pass and you get highways trails.

The temperature and how long is the thaw are for much about the results... I have seen a day of much rain doing near no damaged but the following day with no rain but strong mild wind had melt the half of what we had... At this point, we will wait and see... and trying to keep positive, the season is young.

A day on the trail is always better than work .... good pics . and yes a little longer trailer ride would have been better. HAPPY HOLIDAYS

You bet!!! I usually have a good flair and am pretty lucky with my drop and path choice but I messed on the drop spot this time. Happy Holidays to you too!!!

Thanks for the report and great pics. Things are looking up at least for now. I agree the weather does not look to good. I will cross my fingers for snow and no rain. We wanted to head somewhere Friday but the conditions and forcast are just not good enough at this point for us to make a 10.5 hour drive.

You are welcome 600IQHO! I understand your point and even myself i'm not sure to be able to ride next week-end but for now let's wait and see...

Always look forward to your reports as we usually start our season around the St. Zenon area just to warm up before we plan our long rides. You are very lucky and I agree, the Quebec tourism people should look into your efforts. I believe if your reports actually got seen outside of this forum, it would probably give snowmobilers who never made the journey a glimps of what they are missing. And, the area you ride in is probably the best area to start. Gas availability is easy to find. Plenty of rest stops within easy riding distance. Nice motels. Maybe it gets a little crowded around there but at least you can get a feel for the Canadian adventure.