Trail Conditions 2010

Saguenay Bill

sas, John, 182Ray, NHRR Bob and I rode 230 miles today. We had an unusal day today for sure. Weather was suppose to be scattered snow showers til noon then wet snow til 1PM then a mix of snow and rain. We left the HI at 7:45AM heading towards St Andre, about 5 miles from Saint Andre it started raining slightly. We back tracked to Ski-Bee-Doo, rain stopped. Had coffee at S B D and headed towards the Bouleauniere for lunch. Had lunch, no rain in sight, went down 383 to 83 and back to the HI. Stay away from 83 in Jonquiere, east of the HI and Chicoutimi, down to dirt in a lot of areas. 83 east from 368 is very good, 83 west of the HI is very good.

Bill, You answered my question! I saw a little bit of rain for today in the forcast and you apparently got it. Looks like snow every day next week but the temps are not going to be that cold. I do not know if we will get to ride with you next week but we will be at the Hi on wednesday night for sure before heading back on Thursday. See you then!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sas, John, 182Ray, NHRR Bob and I rode 230 miles today. We had an unusal day today for sure. Weather was suppose to be scattered snow showers til noon then wet snow til 1PM then a mix of snow and rain. We left the HI at 7:45AM heading towards St Andre, about 5 miles from Saint Andre it started raining slightly. We back tracked to Ski-Bee-Doo, rain stopped. Had coffee at S B D and headed towards the Bouleauniere for lunch. Had lunch, no rain in sight, went down 383 to 83 and back to the HI. Stay away from 83 in Jonquiere, east of the HI and Chicoutimi, down to dirt in a lot of areas. 83 east from 368 is very good, 83 west of the HI is very good.

Thanks Bill... I will talk it over with the guys and see we were headed in from St. Ray up 355 coming in to Jonquiere from the west. Hoping to hit Mt. Valin area this weekend.

Bill.

We made it back to Edmunston, NB yesterday afternoon. We all had a great trip with no breakdowns or issues of any kind, most areas were well signed and with a map things went well, like you told us, you have to know what areas the groomer went the night before, some areas were great, some areas rough.

We rode 1300 miles in 6 days. The Saguenay and Lac st. jean, Mont Valin areas were great, Scoobyraid is a cool spot. I would recommend the HI to anyone staying in the area, everyone was friendly and not being able to speak much french wasn't a problem. Going home we took trail # 369 from L'tape, to St Charles what an awesome trail with amazing scenery. Not much snow from St Charles back to hotel Colibri, the snow conditions on both sides of the St. Lawrence are minimal, but passable ( snirt)

Bill, thanks for answering questions and helping us out. The 1200 renegade ran flawlessly, just a treat to ride each day.

I read your post, it sounds like you really liked the 1200 you rode for the day!

It would be nice to ride in your area again and spend more time in the Mont Valin area, maybe next trip!

Thanks again

dooboy

SPING RIDING CONDITIONS HAVE ARRIVED. The closer to the towns you get the more bare ground and brown snow you see. Don't expect mid winter conditions. If brown snow and bare ground are not what you want, don't come. I can not predict weather, I leave that up to the experts and they don't do too good a job, imagine what I do.

sas, John and I rode 240 miles today. We went to Mont Valin, Onatchiway and back. It was a great day.

Home safely this afternoon, great travelling weather. Already back to work.

Thanks to Bill and Juledele for always making me feel welcome and 'at home' at the HI.

Trip of a lifetime with 182Ray.

Great riding with so many of you before and after our saddlebag trip, old friends and new.

Hope to see you all again soon.

Mike

Mike it was good to see you again at the HI - maybe see you at the next summer gathering of the Quebec Riders in July?

Gary

Back home again in the U.K. after 3 days in Quebec City, where there was virtually no snow.

Can't thank everyone, old friends and new, enough for making our annual 2 weeks at the HI sooo..... good, when it could have been a bit of a bummer - 5 different rental sleds in total while we where there ! Next year we will give Evasion a try for a change! Mrs. SnomoGary (now officially SNOWMOUSE) says perhaps she won't be worn out after only 70 miles next year if she gets a decent sled to ride Bill.

Bill and JD (& Greta) thanks so much for everything - the riding, the advice and the great Choko clothing - it worked a treat.

Joel sorry we never got to sit down for a chat and buy you a drink, perhaps at the summer gathering of the QR we can rectify that!

Gary & Pat

Bill sorry just realised I have hi-jacked the pinned trail conditions thread with these posts - it won't happen again.

Edited by SnomoGary

182Ray, it was great to meet up with you and Lois, thanks for a great ride down to La Baie you were perfect riding partners. Look forward to seeing you and BNJW soon.

Gary & Snowmouse

Back home again in the U.K. after 3 days in Quebec City, where there was virtually no snow.

Can't thank everyone, old friends and new, enough for making our annual 2 weeks at the HI sooo..... good, when it could have been a bit of a bummer - 5 different rental sleds in total while we where there ! Next year we will give Evasion a try for a change! Mrs. SnomoGary (now officially SNOWMOUSE) says perhaps she won't be worn out after only 70 miles next year if she gets a decent sled to ride Bill.

Bill and JD (& Greta) thanks so much for everything - the riding, the advice and the great Choko clothing - it worked a treat.

Joel sorry we never got to sit down for a chat and buy you a drink, perhaps at the summer gathering of the QR we can rectify that!

Gary & Pat

Bill sorry just realised I have hi-jacked the pinned trail conditions thread with these posts - it won't happen again.

Glad you had a good time & a safe trip home.it was nice meeting you & Pat.

Dean

Gary & Pat

Gary

No problem. See you and Snowmouse this summer.

Bill

Today, farmerold, mikerider and I rode 230 miles. We rode the north side of the river and lake. Had coffe and lunch at Al Oree des Champs. This place serves very good food, specializing in lamb. If you are tired of hamburgers, hot dogs, potine and french fries for lunch, check this place out.

post-2-1266710716.jpg

post-2-1266710728.jpg

When we were at Scooby Riad we could see standing water on the lake. We rode trail down to where trail across the lake and river meet to see what that was like and if you could still cross to Milot and Onatchiway. To my surprise this is what I saw, slush was flying and it went up river out of sight.

post-2-1266711044.jpg

We left the HI on Friday and the snow conditions were better and temps were lower at L'tape. Hit warm temps and much less snow as we got closer to Quebec city. People were riding out of Quebec city. Conditions may not be what they typically are in the Saguenay region, but they are much better than other places.

Thanks for a great time. Always a pleasure speaking and visiting with fellow riders.

Joe

People are making the trip from St Raymond quite oftern. They report trails good at times and other times trails are rough. Depends on traffic. Me, I'd drive the extra 2 hours in a truck and not have to ride possible bad trails. Too each his lown. You can buy trails passes at most hotels and snowmobile dealerships in Quebec.

Bill

Bill,

We took your advice and are coming up on 3/2 -3/6. I know a lot can happen in a week, but do think we should be all set riding from the HI.

Joe

Today mikerider and I rode 180 miles. Trails were so so. Definately 83 from the HI to La Baie should be avoided. All the fishing shacks are gone from La Baie as standing water is on top of the ice. Mike and I had lunch at a new place for me. See pic.

I hit a milestone for me and my 2006 GSX 500SS today.

post-2-1266801222.jpg

post-2-1266801335.jpg

Today mikerider and I rode 180 miles. Trails were so so. Definately 83 from the HI to La Baie should be avoided. All the fishing shacks are gone from La Baie as standing water is on top of the ice. Mike and I had lunch at a new place for me. See pic.

I hit a milestone for me and my 2006 GSX 500SS today.

Congrats on the 20000 miles Bill! That is a lot of revolutions of all those parts that make up a sled. Many of us hope we can still ride period when we retire let alone do your kind of miles!

Andy

Bill,

Congrats on the 20000. Great pic with you taking the picture in the reflection. Wayne and I will be in Shawinigan on March 6 for 4 days. I sure hope conditions hold up OK to end our season.

Keep in touch,

Dale

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

mikerider and I did the "Tour du Lac St Jean" today. Left at 7:45, coffee and gas at St Andre, lunch at Relais du Buttes, gas at St Monique back at the HI at 4:15. The first 40 miles we were first tracks, trails like mid winter. Next 25 miles bumpy, next 25 mid winter, nice. Next 30 bumpy and lack of snow in St Felicien for about 2 miles. After lunch we rode the orange trail from the Buttes to Dolbeau. First 1/2 chopping and mushy. Next 1/2 so so. Crossed the Mistassini River on 93 and then took 367 past the Vauvert. When we came down on the small portion of Lac St Jean, that the trail runs on, 2 guys were there to stop us. A part of the ice on the lake had collapsed and they had just made a detour around it. 367 was pretty good back to 93, where the hydro line is, 93 was mush into St Monique. Getting thru St Monique was not fun. Lots of bare spots. Took the orange trail out of St Monique to 328 and then the orange trail to 93. The orange trail and 328 were good. 93 to the orange trail going to St Charles was not good, mush. Orange trail to St Charles to great as was Saguenay Local 1 and 383, the pipe line, and local 7. Once on 83, mush, mush, mush.

I've decided that I am done for this year. 3 weeks short of my usual stay. Approxinately 7,000 miles. Least I've done since 2002. It's been a great year.

Bill.

Thanks for taking the time to keep us posted, I look forward to reading your posts each day, hopefully next year will be a better year. We still hopefully should have another 4-6 weeks of sledding here in northern New Brunswick depending when it decides to turn cold again.

I guess we were very lucky we took our trip to your area last week instead of waiting, overall trails were good and we seen alot of beautiful country.

Bill......I noticed on your sleds you have some kind of guages on the dash of your sleds, what are they for?

Hopefully see you again next year if we decide to come back your way.

Thanks

Dooboy

( Roger )

mikerider and I did the "Tour du Lac St Jean" today. Left at 7:45, coffee and gas at St Andre, lunch at Relais du Buttes, gas at St Monique back at the HI at 4:15. The first 40 miles we were first tracks, trails like mid winter. Next 25 miles bumpy, next 25 mid winter, nice. Next 30 bumpy and lack of snow in St Felicien for about 2 miles. After lunch we rode the orange trail from the Buttes to Dolbeau. First 1/2 chopping and mushy. Next 1/2 so so. Crossed the Mistassini River on 93 and then took 367 past the Vauvert. When we came down on the small portion of Lac St Jean, that the trail runs on, 2 guys were there to stop us. A part of the ice on the lake had collapsed and they had just made a detour around it. 367 was pretty good back to 93, where the hydro line is, 93 was mush into St Monique. Getting thru St Monique was not fun. Lots of bare spots. Took the orange trail out of St Monique to 328 and then the orange trail to 93. The orange trail and 328 were good. 93 to the orange trail going to St Charles was not good, mush. Orange trail to St Charles to great as was Saguenay Local 1 and 383, the pipe line, and local 7. Once on 83, mush, mush, mush.

I've decided that I am done for this year. 3 weeks short of my usual stay. Approxinately 7,000 miles. Least I've done since 2002. It's been a great year.

Hi Bill, congrats on the 20,000 on the 06. Bummer on the end of the season. I have my winter vacation coming up in two weeks. See you back in NH.

Bob

Bill, congrats on your milestone. Living in Georgia I hope to do about 2500-3000 miles in a year. When will you be going home? I believe a few of the Buttpaste boys and a couple others are going to try to make a run up there next weekend for a couple of days. If you're not there we appreciate your help and we'll see you next year.

Brian

Bill, congrats on your milestone. Living in Georgia I hope to do about 2500-3000 miles in a year. When will you be going home? I believe a few of the Buttpaste boys and a couple others are going to try to make a run up there next weekend for a couple of days. If you're not there we appreciate your help and we'll see you next year.

Brian

I've decided that I am done for this year. 3 weeks short of my usual stay. Approxinately 7,000 miles. Least I've done since 2002. It's been a great year

looks like Bill is done for the season