Halta23

snowmaster2112

I have started to realize in recent years that some of the best times/days I have had snowmobiling have been the lower mileage days. I used to be a serious “mileage whore” and couldn’t possibly count the number of 250+ days over the years. 

Today for example was a whopping 84 miles. Yesterday was 204

But today I got to meet a new friend and spend time getting to know them as we swapped lifelong stories and pictures. It was a BEAUTIFUL blue sky day and we took several long breaks on the trail with good friends. Got back early to Haltaparche and had more good times with Jean-Guy. Wouldn’t trade it for any big mile day I have had in the past.

Our new friend “Jonathan “ at Escapade was one astonishing 25 yr old. He grew up in Dolbeau LSJ area and works for the guy who owns the place which also has a “bush plane” charter service. Jonathan has spent many recent years WAY up in northern Quebec with the Inuit people. Working and hunting caribou and all other outdoor stuff. He is a HUGE fisherman and had pictures on trips that were mind blowing. His boss is teaching him to fly the planes and he will be getting his license soon. Can’t remember when I met a 25 yr old that had his act together as much as this kid. Maybe that’s why his boss entrusts the place to him while gone. 

Back in December his boss had a Christmas party down in Montreal and they had an infamous guest in attendance. Here Jonathan and Raymond Boulanger the famous bush pilot from the Casey drug bust.

396B85D9-C052-4F8F-8070-09101664F484.jpeg

This afternoon we were chatting with Jean-Guy about something we didn’t know about him. He purchased Haltaparche back in 1987 when he was about 45 yrs old. Before that he was in the concrete business. While talking our typical 3/4 “we can understand each other” conversation he says “wait a minute “ and disappears over to another building here.

comes back with this picture .........

just unreal. The buildings here at Haltaparche are on Lac Elliot. Look closely on the truck.

DB03DD6A-3C7F-488F-A549-27922767B98E.jpeg

1 hour ago, markusvt said:

Big sign on the Gouin trail says 37MK, gets you there not on the water.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/image.thumb.png.231c1311eafd1e00173abb73a5bc77a6.png

First 2 miles or so on water, then yes the rest is all land

After 4 decades we know what works… it’s a unique opportunity with a decent off season brook trout fishing operation with customers, and not a lot of money to buy it… with the right group… completely doable 

10 hours ago, iceman said:

Lets get a collective together and create a private Quebec Rider lodge here. 

375 thousand American buys it right now. He wants 500K for the place. Here is the yearly breakdown:

22square km & 13 lacs

main compound and buildings and 8 person cabin on Lac Elwood

taxes = 3500

insurance= 4000

hunting/fishing permits = 8000. !!!!!!!! He says if he doesn’t pay it then anyone can come fish these lakes. Said something about “mafia”

cold here again this morning -15 F but feels like it’s warming up 

723CF212-F7A2-4D4E-9670-694571651C21.jpeg

The day started out overcast but changed quickly to partial sunshine most of the day

3 miles or so before the barrage Gouin I look down on my handlebar and my most sentimental and beloved Garmin Zumo is GONE FROM ITS MOUNT

I have had this Zumo for FIFTEEN YEARS now and it has extreme sentimental value to me.

TABERNAC ......my two buddies are behind me and if it didn’t bounce off into the ding weeds they surely ran over it on the trail

stop and turn around, buddies pull-up, nope no one saw a thing

TABERNAC it was quite along while ago I can remember seeing/using it. Like close to 8-10 miles ago.

tell buddies I GOTTA go try and would be appreciated if you guys come too. But sit here and have a smoke for awhile and give me a head start 

about 3.5 miles back I come up on this

sunny side up and still powered on

buddies passed me heading back and we laughed as I showed them the picture and said....”are you guys blind” ?  LOL

12B148ED-5D89-4A7B-9691-6C28656CAC9C.jpeg

We pull into Gouin with a game plan

no one there but us

Johnny says more Americans this year so far than Canadiens.

Johnny downloads track into each our Garmins. Only one fully works

HIT IT.    !!!!

Here on the Gouin

second time for me and first for other two. Took me 12 or so years when I first started coming to Quebec before it happened

so many times it was either too windy, too snowy, too warm, or just “not safe” per locals

today it was FAN Fu&#NG tastic

EB42FE1E-24D5-4049-A2DF-FB5BB50216CC.jpeg

Nice ride last time I did it a few weeks before covid shut down...big drifts and very windy half way across started thinking this was a mistake...it's a great adventure...but I'm not doing it alone again!!