Gaspe trip plan help

Skidoorider

just finished a trip around the lsj left quebec city on wednesday unto saguenay wed night then off to mt valin and back to sag thurs night from there around top of lake to roberval fri night all good ,all down hill after that went to alma in light rain saturday morning and threw in the towel and hired a truck to take me to my truck in quebec city..very depressing ride looking at the snow disappear..think cold and snow

north shore above the river heading on 3 towards forestville has a lot of trails off 3 and conditions there are good...same story heading all the way to sept ille...certainly isn't going to be a deal where you will find all the fancy places like universal hotel...but with a GPS and a realization that it will be more adventure and discovery...especially since most have never been up that far...it's great riding and exciting...AND WAY BETTER THAN SITTING HOME GIVING UP ON THE SEASON...the temps look like they are cooperating...if we can get a storm...it will be excellent in the north country

1 hour ago, Albieridin said:

just finished a trip around the lsj left quebec city on wednesday unto saguenay wed night then off to mt valin and back to sag thurs night from there around top of lake to roberval fri night all good ,all down hill after that went to alma in light rain saturday morning and threw in the towel and hired a truck to take me to my truck in quebec city..very depressing ride looking at the snow disappear..think cold and snow

lol great Alma is where we booked with a plan of doing loops heading north and northeast. I didn’t see really anyplace for lodging north of Alma until you got closer to the Saint Lawrence. Figured do some exploration loops for a couple days heading north of Alma keep it kinda near the room and maybe backpack it up along the Saint Lawrence potentially toward the middle/end of the stay don’t really have a plan at this point just want to find some good snow and ride.

1 hour ago, quebec bob said:

north shore above the river heading on 3 towards forestville has a lot of trails off 3 and conditions there are good...same story heading all the way to sept ille...certainly isn't going to be a deal where you will find all the fancy places like universal hotel...but with a GPS and a realization that it will be more adventure and discovery...especially since most have never been up that far...it's great riding and exciting...AND WAY BETTER THAN SITTING HOME GIVING UP ON THE SEASON...the temps look like they are cooperating...if we can get a storm...it will be excellent in the north country

That’s the plan do some exploring and adventure find some good riding. None of us have ever been to this area of Quebec so it’ll be a fun adventure that’s for sure.

Edited by Skidoorider

Does anyone have boots on the ground current info. on Gaspe and the trail closures?  I have a friend and his group slotted to start a trip next Monday and they want to make a decision on whether to cancel or not. I told him they would likely need to drive to at least Mont Joli to start the trip 

12 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Does anyone have boots on the ground current info. on Gaspe and the trail closures?  I have a friend and his group slotted to start a trip next Monday and they want to make a decision on whether to cancel or not. I told him they would likely need to drive to at least Mont Joli to start the trip 

Friend been in Gaspe past 5 days. Lots of really poor conditions now. Between Rimouski and Mont Joli trails are closed.

We were booked to start our Gaspe trip this coming Saturday. I was talking to Motel Mont Joli, Auberge Caribou and LaCache today to cancel our reservation. I was apologizing for having to cancel and they all said poor conditions not worth coming. 
Trail even turned yellow in Murdochville today. Hard to believe that on Feb.13th. Have to call Jack tomorrow at the Copper to cancel, not looking forward to that call. Feel bad for all these businesses that are suffering from lack of snow.

We are booked for a New Brunswick loop Feb 24th to March 2. That looks doubtful also.

With this bad winter, and the reduction in $$$s spent at hotels\relays\etc.... will more of the local business communities realize the value we bring and the impact on the economy..... And just maybe embrace us more and stop closing trails and reroutes in and out of towns.

just a thought...... looking for a silver lining for the season.....

GutZ

1 hour ago, MrGutz said:

With this bad winter, and the reduction in $$$s spent at hotels\relays\etc.... will more of the local business communities realize the value we bring and the impact on the economy..... And just maybe embrace us more and stop closing trails and reroutes in and out of towns.

just a thought...... looking for a silver lining for the season.....

GutZ

I'm pretty certain that the affected businesses and many of the public especially in small and remote areas already know the value of snowmobilers to their business. The impact may not always be positive as there are many "entitled" sledders out there. Although they are the minority the results of their actions are felt and remembered more than the majoritys actions. I can tell you from more than 30 years of club and trail work experience that reroutes and trail closures are not something the clubs want to do (just more work for volunteers to do) but are a necessity based on circumstances. JMHO

7 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'm pretty certain that the affected businesses and many of the public especially in small and remote areas already know the value of snowmobilers to their business. The impact may not always be positive as there are many "entitled" sledders out there. Although they are the minority the results of their actions are felt and remembered more than the majoritys actions. I can tell you from more than 30 years of club and trail work experience that reroutes and trail closures are not something the clubs want to do (just more work for volunteers to do) but are a necessity based on circumstances. JMHO

I agree, I have felt it is the larger launch points ( Cities ) that are not seeing\realizing the economic impact of our involvement in their areas. I'll use Jonquiere area as an example. The main trail ( 83 ) has been moved and rerouted and cut-off and rerouted through the town and you get the feeling the Town does not give a crap or see us as a valuable resource. The club(s) has fought for us over and over again.

So with a drop in length of season this year and fewer sleds..... will it open the eyes of the business communities...???

Will it translate into more acceptance as a revenue engine and an embracing of the fact you want the Trailz running to your door not pushed out to the periphery.

Just thinking out loud.

GutZ