Conditions in RDL ?

snowdogs

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its still pretty warm here. I haven't been out today but I'm thinking of moving elsewhere tomorrow. With a cold snap coming, trails may be hard as a rock, maybe icy??

Saw a local pick up pull up to motel this afternoon with what looked like an 8 place trailer, looks like he was maybe rescuing tour sledders who had had enough and wanted a ride back to their vehicles.

I'm leaning towards St. Raymond or LSJ.

mike

Its still pretty warm here. I haven't been out today but I'm thinking of moving elsewhere tomorrow. With a cold snap coming, trails may be hard as a rock, maybe icy??

Saw a local pick up pull up to motel this afternoon with what looked like an 8 place trailer, looks like he was maybe rescuing tour sledders who had had enough and wanted a ride back to their vehicles.

I'm leaning towards St. Raymond or LSJ.

mike

Would be curious to hear what you find in St. Raymond and/or LSJ as we're headed there Fri night.

Riding is not too bad. The base is hard as a rock and we got 3 to 4 inches now of new fluff. Often can feel the skis hitting the hard stuff.

Will have to see if the groomers can break up that hard layer or not. If they can get under it the riding should be back to very nice.

Looks wintry again with the new snow.

mike

Riding is not too bad. The base is hard as a rock and we got 3 to 4 inches now of new fluff. Often can feel the skis hitting the hard stuff.

Will have to see if the groomers can break up that hard layer or not. If they can get under it the riding should be back to very nice.

Looks wintry again with the new snow.

mike

Thanks for the update Mike

Todays report. We rode from the Universal in RDL to Bernieres in St Nicolas.

Sandi and I leave the Universal this morning and like Mike said, a few inches of fresh powder. Not wet heavy snow just nice powder. We head west on trail 5 after Relais Adventurer. The fresh snow is 4-6 inches deep. We take the short connector over to trail 526 and head towards Relais Montagne Bleue at the junction with 35. Very good riding. The trails very smooth Under the fresh snow.

We are up on 35, the railbed. No sleds have been on the trail since the snow. Beautiful running. A couple of sleds coming toward us breaking trail. A little further down and we come across a groomer out for his morning run. We arrive at Tourville for an early lunch.

Only a few people here. No other snowmobiles. We are early and the trails are good. The rain really didn't do much damage. It is cold and windy but not too much drifting. Maybe because 35 is protected by trees.

Note: The bridge on 35 east of Tourville that has been 'closed' the past few years, has been replaced with a brand new one. 35 now goes straight thru on the railbed.

After lunch we continue on 35. Not as much fresh snow here but it was groomed recently and is very good. We stay on 35 until St Damien and turn north on 547. This to has been recently groomed. 10 miles and we are in St Gervais heading west on 5. This is the first trail that isn't very good in comparision to the other trails. Looks like more rain went thru here and no groomer. Some rutting and ice flows. Still rideable but a little rougher than what we have been on. Very windy n the open fields. Visibility drops down to about 50 feet in some spots. The next cutoff to St Charles we see a groomer had come this far and turned around. We are back on good trails.

The first river crossing is marked closed but upon inspection, it looks frozen. No running water on top. I go first and just as I reach the other side, the back end of the track breaks thru the ice as I climb up the bank. Sandi comes across and picks a different line with a little break thru at the end like me.

The next little brook is the same thing. Just a little break thru as we climb up the bank on the other side. The rest of the ride to Bernieres is fine other than some wind and a little drifting.

Overall the trails were rained on but are still quite good.

Happy trails to all.

Jack & Sandi

Just a quick update. Riding is very good, trails slightly harder than normal in places but awesome conditions. Trails have been exceptionally smooth. not much traffic.

Most places trees are coated with snow so looks very wintry. Had no problem putting on over 200 miles today.

Only bad spot I've seen is a three mile section on trail 5 about 30 miles east of RDL. Low snow, couple big fields are very icy. No problems getting through.

After that 3 mile stretch, returns to excellent again.

Good enough I don't want to go home Monday.

Probably be back up following Sunday.

mike

I am still at RDL. Today went about 2/3 the way to Montmagny and all good. Also within a few miles of Tourville and all good. All very nice, same with down to St. Pamphille. I'm old! and did 220 miles today between 8:30 and 4:00 with a coffee stop and lunch stop. Riding is really good.

mike

Steve, always enjoy running across you and Andy.

I must have some pull here. My reservation ran out this morning, its a hockey weekend and Unversel is full, no rooms.

I go to the desk last night, the clerk says he will talk to the manager. Suddenly I have a room for 3 more days, plus he arranged people around so I got to stay in the same room. Gave the clerk a tip hoping it will grease the way for future trips, plus really nice he did that.

So someone this weekend is probably sleeping out in the sled garage!!!

mike

Lol Mike we have 3 rooms reserved for Sunday night but they are all under my name so someone else will be sleeping in the sled garage :rofl: Have you talked to anyone that has come in since the rain from poins east of RDL we want to do the whole Gaspe. I dont mind skipping the section between New Richmond and Chandler as long as everything else is OK

Steve, always enjoy running across you and Andy.

I must have some pull here. My reservation ran out this morning, its a hockey weekend and Unversel is full, no rooms.

I go to the desk last night, the clerk says he will talk to the manager. Suddenly I have a room for 3 more days, plus he arranged people around so I got to stay in the same room. Gave the clerk a tip hoping it will grease the way for future trips, plus really nice he did that.

So someone this weekend is probably sleeping out in the sled garage!!!

mike

Hockey tournament? I thought you where going to say its full with the college cheerleaders again!

No cheerleaders. Just hot hockey moms!

Viper2, I have had no reports from anyone. I have overheard at breakfast people headed that way, but haven't talked to anyone coming back.

Brought jugs of wine with me this trip to save money, so haven't been in the bar at all to get any news, which is where I usually meet the travelers.

Sunday is my last night, if you get here in the evening and hit the bar, let me know. Rm 118 or send me a text 207-522-2673. Would be great to meet.

mike

No cheerleaders. Just hot hockey moms!

Viper2, I have had no reports from anyone. I have overheard at breakfast people headed that way, but haven't talked to anyone coming back.

Brought jugs of wine with me this trip to save money, so haven't been in the bar at all to get any news, which is where I usually meet the travelers.

Sunday is my last night, if you get here in the evening and hit the bar, let me know. Rm 118 or send me a text 207-522-2673. Would be great to meet.

mike

Ok Mike we will make our mind up tommorrow maybe we will see you there

Sorry, no updates on the Gaspe conditions.

Did pick up couple inches of very light fluff overnight and maybe another inch during the day.

You probably already know this, the fmcq trail conditions are at sledmagazine.com.

mike

Yes Mike thanks we have checked the trail conditions on the sled mag site but it is so generic it doesn't give much confidence. Gonna pull the trigger here soon Gaspe or LSJ

Mike are you in the hot tub with a hockey mom and a glass of rouge yet??

Six of us are heading to the Gaspesie on Wednesday for a loop. There is lots of snow on the north shore of the Gaspesie and snow in the forecast.

I'll be at the Unversel next saturday evening to begin a gaspe loop.

Steve, my life isn't that exciting for the hockey moms! I leave Monday for home, will probably be back at RDL or Montmagny around next Sunday. If you cone that far west, stop in. Will post where I land. Have a great trip.

mike