best way to obtain Canadian money??

clk1x

My credit union doesn't exchange curency and my bank wants give a crap rate of exchange.

If I give them a $100.00 American they will give me 111.00 Canadian, I say BS when the going rate is more like 100.00 US equals 125.00 Canadian.

Depends on where you are traveling in Quebec. Bill suggested the bank in Drummondville to me a few years ago. I have been using it ever since. They exchange a lot currency there and it is very easy. I bring in my passport and American dollars and walk out with Canadian.

They charge $3.00 per transaction so I usually buy enough for the season.

Some of the Duty Free stores at the border will exchange also. On route 91 you have to go to the American side Duty Free.

Jack & Sandi

ATM works great and is often recommended by travel advisors when traveling abroad in general. As a BOA customer I pay no extra fees at Scotia Banks so I try to use them. I used a hotel ATM last time in Quebec and interestingly it asked me If I want to use my banks rate or their rate which of course was in their favor by how much I do not remember but if you weren't paying attention you might make the wrong choice. I "ordered" some Canadian a few years back at the BOA branch I use regularly for my business and they said no problem, when I arrived to pick it up they gave me a receipt with their 7% fee and an unfavorable exchange rate. I told them to keep and just used ATMs while Quebec.

RBC in Drummond turned us away (They saw No-Hair and Locked the door) but they sent us to Banc National.

RBC said no account, no exchange.

BN charged us 3.00 and gave us the Daily Rate.

ATMs work.

GutZ

Usually I have found the banks in Quebec give the exchange rate for the day but last week on my Gaspe trip they only gave me $1.19 at the Caisse Populare I think the rate was more like 1.24 that day. They didn't even ask to see I.D though so it's like I was never there :acute:

ATM's work great as long as you activate your card...I'm not mentioning any names but one time there was a fellow QR that never activated his card & carried it for years with out using it

When he finally decided to use it at an ATM in Quebec...well let's just say that was the last time he saw it

Luckily the First Bank of Ray came to the rescue

The rates weren't the best & the fees were through the roof but what can you do when your out on the trail & need some $$$

So it sounds like the ATM is the most popular way to get the best rate. The only issues I think I may have with this is we are going to be day tripping out of a remote out post in NB and we don't know where the ATM's are going to be.So I'm thinking on out way there we will be heading through some larger towns (Woodstock & Fredricton) I will have to find a bank there and pull the cash.

Yes, don't bring a new ATM card without trying it in the states first. My bank never activated mine. Machine swallowed it and kept it up in no man's land, Quebec.

Moral, make sure you are travelling with a very good friend.

mike

I'm usually the guy who always has the most canadian cash on me while my ridding buddy is always trying to find more. We have ridden around a few towns trying to find a bank. I'm just tired of my bank stealing from me so this time it will be me looking for a bank. It shouldn't be an issue ,we have to stop for groceries somewhere anyway. thanks for all the imput guys I appreciate the stories,

Edited by clk1x

Yes, don't bring a new ATM card without trying it in the states first. My bank never activated mine. Machine swallowed it and kept it up in no man's land, Quebec.

Moral, make sure you are travelling with a very good friend.

mike

Hey Mike,

So you're the guy eh?

Lol

Tom