no passport

jimcb1

You do not need a passport to get back into the states. Customs cannot refuse a US citizen to return to his/her country.

Just have plenty of IDs and be prepared to be checked over a little extra.

mike

Very true....and fairly certain you will be sent right to the US side to go back, if trying to come in to Canada with no Passport or Enhanced driver Liscense.

Anyone on here ever got in to Canada without one or the other mentioned above? Please do tell.

I think you would have a hard time entering but maybe if you got a border agent in a good mood. If you need a passport in a hurry you can get one the same day but it costs more. I never did it but it can be done in Scranton at the federal courthouse I think

I am responsible along with two US friends for organizing a group motorcycle rally this coming summer in Canada. Many of the participants will be US citizens. After checking with both the Canadian border services and their US counterparts a couple of months back,here is what we we posted on our site as per the info they provided us. Hope it is useful to you folks as well.

US Citizens entering Canada info:

Any one entering Canada for our North East US / Eastern Canada Regional rally will need one of the following documents. Without it you will not be allowed to cross the border into Canada from the United States.

The following documents may be satisfactory evidence of United States (U.S.) citizenship:

A valid U.S. passport, U.S. passport card, or a Certificate of Citizenship and Naturalization are considered primary evidence and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

The Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) and Enhanced Identification Card (EIC) (non-drivers) are alternative travel documents denoting the holder's identity and citizenship and are acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship when entering from the U.S. through land and marine ports of entry only.

An original U.S. birth certificate, when accompanied by a valid government issued photo identification document, is considered an indicator and may be an acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship.

A passport is the preferred document but an Enhanced Drivers License is cheaper to obtain.

HOWEVER, there are only 4 states now offering Enhanced Drivers Licenses,

Michigan

New York

Washington

Vermont

States considering implementing an Enhanced Drivers Licenses include:

Arizona

Idaho

Maine

Minnesota

New Hampshire

New Mexico

North Dakota

Texas

I would suggest reading this webpage for more info.

http://www.dmv.org/driving-abroad/passport-license.php

You should also be aware no firearms are allowed to be brought into Canada.

If you normally carry, you will have to leave your weapon at home.

Go to Canada Border Services. US citizens entering Canada by land can use a birth certificate and any picture driver's license, doesn't have to be an enhanced license.

I would add that other documents will help, such as your employment ID, any other picture ID etc.

mike

Go to Canada Border Services. US citizens entering Canada by land can use a birth certificate and any picture driver's license, doesn't have to be an enhanced license.

I would add that other documents will help, such as your employment ID, any other picture ID etc.

mike

Mike I respect your opinion but the truth of the matter is that no Border Patrol Agent can be "expected" to do anything other than what is written in the law(s) and I would expect you know that from your professional experience. While an agent might deviate from the 'black and white' where you cross, that may/may not be the norm at other crossings or even with different agents at the same crossing. They are under no obligation to let anyone travel in either direction without the required documents. (I remember another discussion we had regarding allowing someone with a DUI in to Canada on here awhile back that was similar b/c folks thought they could/would be 'flexible' - which isn't true.)

The link below spells it out for crossing (both directions) and pretty much follows Cnc's post above -

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/canada.html

IMO, why drive all the way from wherever you are driving from and take a chance on not being able to enter Quebec because you lack the proper credentials? Is it really worth taking a chance?

What I got off Canada's website; 'Canada Border Services Agency' says the same thing Cnc posted above also. There are several documents accepted (US Citizens entering Canada by land) including a birth certificate along with government issued ID (gov't issued picture ID would be a driver's license, enhanced or not).

US Customs Agents man the US crossings. Border Patrol run around in those nice green and white Chevy Tahoes.

From a Border Patrol Agent/friend/snowmobiler: The US can't deny a US citizen entry into the US. As a US citizen, regardless of ID, you will not be denied entry into the US unless Canada wants you held in Canada for a crime. You may be delayed from entering the US without proper paperwork. You may be arrested upon entering the US for a customs/border crime or being a wanted person. You may be put through the ringer. But when all said and done, a US citizen will not be turned around and sent back to Canada.

mike

Thousands of dollars in Sled, truck, trailer, hotels, food, and gas. But gonna be cheap and not go for the passport. I don't get it.

Why? Just make it easy on yourself and those traveling with you and get a damn passport. Come on now.

Once you get your passport and you are good to go , you are allowed (24) 12oz cans of beer per person.

A six pack of beer up there will set you back $14 bucks.

Well I regularly get a case of 12 for around $14 in the grocery store unless you talking about some micro bewery specialty beer. Bought a case of 15 Labatt 50 just the other day for $15.99 and with the strenth of your dollar that's about a buck and a half! Grin.

Of course you should get a passport or pass card.

But the original poster asked if you need one and the answer is no.

For a US citizen, a driver's license and birth certificate will get you into Canada via black top, and a US driver's license will get you back into the US

Of course you should get a passport or pass card.

But the original poster asked if you need one and the answer is no.

For a US citizen, a driver's license and birth certificate will get you into Canada via black top, and a US driver's license will get you back into the US

Correct - BUT

Really sorry to disagree Mike but a regular drivers license is not listed in the documents accepted for re-entry to the US according to the State Department website requirements for US entry: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/canada.html

A regular drivers license is not a WHTI compliant document and so would not have to be accepted. As for what you have stated above about US Border Patrol HAVING TO LET A US CITIZEN BACK IN to the Country; that may or may not be correct. I don't know/have never seen it written or heard it before.

With the current state of the world, I for one would not want to attempt entry/re-entry without having exactly the documents listed.

"Entry into the United States: When traveling by air from Canada, U.S. citizens are required by U.S. law to present a U.S. passport book, except as noted in the few exceptions provided on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate."

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Passport is best for both directions. I crossed 3 times last year both ways with only a licence, (forgot passport at home). Quebec says this one time only, US guys whine, but hey they have to let me in.

Quebec is more strict this year, as others have said you can get across using the guidelines above.

I entered last season with two other guys all of us having passports and one of them having a prior DUI. As luck would have it they asked us to pull in for further questioning. After reviewing our info. They asked the fellow with the DUI to come to the desk.... Oh boy here we go..... After 3-4 minutes he comes back and says let's go riding....He said he answered there questions honestly and he had completed all requirements of the case.. They said welcome to Canada have a nice trip. FYI the DUI was from the year prior so not long.