scierie 54

Mid Range

I've read on the Québec board that scierie 54 is closed and it looks like no gas would be available.I will try to get a hold with the appropriate resources within the area and find out what will be the situation for the upcoming season.

........heading up upon the trails this weekend to install signage. :drinks:

I've read on the Québec board that scierie 54 is closed and it looks like no gas would be available.I will try to get a hold with the appropriate resources within the area and find out what will be the situation for the upcoming season.

Wow. That's potentially a real problemo for doing the Chibougammau Loop, eh. Please keep us informed of what you learn, Mid Range.

timbo :sad:

That would create a big problem. The only way through would be to haul fuel. From La Dore' to Chibougamau is about 165 miles. There are not many sleds that will make that without extra fuel on board. I was planning on that loup this winter, hopefully some good new will come before my trip.

Is that the small gas station/conveniance store just off the railbed? I think that was the only time I turned the bars for 100 miles LOL

Is that the small gas station/conveniance store just off the railbed? I think that was the only time I turned the bars for 100 miles LOL

No, the one you are talking about is from chib to senetere, the scierie is a logging camp stop between lac st jean and chiboug

No, the one you are talking about is from chib to senetere, the scierie is a logging camp stop between lac st jean and chiboug

And....................why don't you come over and put this new track on for me. Afterall you are responsible because of the high speed towing you did :rofl:

That would create a big problem. The only way through would be to haul fuel. From La Dore' to Chibougamau is about 165 miles. There are not many sleds that will make that without extra fuel on board. I was planning on that loup this winter, hopefully some good new will come before my trip.

The club use to have the gas tanker parked 50 miles south of Chibougamau a couple of 3-4 years ago or has that not been the case recently.

I hate that place for two reasons. LOL...

First off the trail just plain sucks before and after that place for miles and miles. They cut the trail through some ding weed area that has "bamboo like" twigs/sapplings sticking up by the millions. Some are 3 ft high. Unless there is 8 ft of snow on the ground you have to deal with these things for what seems like 100 miles. They are not friendly at all to the cosmetics of the sled and just plain irritating!!!

Second thing involves a personal peeve I have with the place. The utility company up there is also on my shit list.

Back 5-6 yrs ago I made a last minute decision to do the 83 & 93 loop in four days, by myself. Yeah, I know....not the wisest in a lot of folks minds. I was running a little behind on day two and pulled into the place about 2:30 or so in the afternoon. I have been to this place several (3-4) times in the past and knew the place pretty well. As I pulled up near the gas pumps there were 3 sledders finishing gassing up. I just flipped the visor open and had a very brief conversation with them. I wanted to know if they were heading north as I was riding alone. Turned out they were heading south. I decided to go in and take a quick break and get some coffee before I gassed up. It was very cold out!! I wasn't in the place for 15 minutes and when I went to the gas pumps (50 ft from where my sled was parked) a guy comes out and says "no power". I said that I just saw 3 sleds filling up less than 15 min. ago!! He then points to a utility truck down the road that was doing some work.

So I ask how long it will be off and he says probably 3 hrs!!!!! I'm like WTF !!!!! So there I sat in the dirty break room with shitty vending machines for 2 1/2 hrs. To this day I think they F*%#ED me over thinking it was funny. I could be wrong but it's hard for me to imagine that nobody there made sure I had gas before they cut the power. They know the deal there. If your there on a sled you have come a long way and still have a long trip in front of you with nowhere to go.

Nothing like pulling into Chibig. by yourself at 8 at night when it's 25 below. Other than that bullshit, I successfully made the 1100+ mi. "loop" in four days.

To this day I avoid the place like the plague.

I have only traveled that route once. I remember there was a Relais 25 miles south of Chib. but I don't think it sold gas.

You are correct it is Relay Du Nord, they sell gas. We made it from Chibougamau to La Dore with tour buddies, without stopping at lumber camp or Relay Du Nord...My partner ran out of gas 100 feet from the gas pump. There was a few inches of new snow on the ground. Even stopping at Relay Du Nord without spare gas it might be tight.

During same trip we ran from Senneterre to Chapais without stopping for fuel. We all know how fast that stretch is. I guess point being a Tour Buddy is priceless.

GT Rider, Its been since last winter that I fooled around with my GPS stuff so how did you get the trails overlaid on google earth.

Thanks

Jack

Jack

I down loaded the trail kml file from FCMQ site. It appears the the link is no longer working.

The trails have changed some. Perhaps they will update the file.

http://www.fcmq.qc.ca/english/pages.asp?id=133

Try this link to convert your GPS files to visualizer..............just open the site, browse your GPS files and click convert. They will apper on a google eart map. Of course you have to have Google Erth as well but thats a free download......hope that helps. Don't worry about the rest of the parameters, just browse and create KML file buttons.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth

You are correct it is Relay Du Nord, they sell gas. We made it from Chibougamau to La Dore with tour buddies, without stopping at lumber camp or Relay Du Nord...My partner ran out of gas 100 feet from the gas pump. There was a few inches of new snow on the ground. Even stopping at Relay Du Nord without spare gas it might be tight.

During same trip we ran from Senneterre to Chapais without stopping for fuel. We all know how fast that stretch is. I guess point being a Tour Buddy is priceless.

Gotta be real careful about Relais Du Nord.

They have an above ground gas tank rig that did not enjoy current venting technology, coupled with not moving much gas during the winter. Couple years ago the potatoe bros rode thru there on the dore-chib-quevion loop. Got to Relais du Nord about 7PM. Stopped to warm up and get some soup before we went on into Chapais. It was -30F.

Since we had filled up at the Scierie, only Chopper topped off. Cooked a piston on the way into chib. Gas tank was half full of ice crystals.

It would be comforting if they have addressed that problem, cuz if scierie 54 is OOB, Relais du Nord is about maximum range from La Dore; without extra gas in some fashion, most sleds won't make it to the clubhouse at Chapais. Hope they have, since the folks that run the Relais were first class.

They have an above ground gas tank rig that did not enjoy current venting technology, coupled with not moving much gas during the winter. Couple years ago the potatoe bros rode thru there on the dore-chib-quevion loop. Got to Relais du Nord about 7PM. Stopped to warm up and get some soup before we went on into Chapais. It was -30F.

Since we had filled up at the Scierie, only Chopper topped off. Cooked a piston on the way into chib. Gas tank was half full of ice crystals.

It would be comforting if they have addressed that problem, cuz if scierie 54 is OOB, Relais du Nord is about maximum range from La Dore; without extra gas in some fashion, most sleds won't make it to the clubhouse at Chapais. Hope they have, since the folks that run the Relais were first class.

10-4 on Relais Du Nord...

I just got a 09 600 E-Tech Gade and will put a Tour Buddy on it. Guessing I should be good for 280 miles. It will be interesting to see how it's mileage really is. Supertrax got incredible mileage on theirs...

10-4 on Relais Du Nord...

I just got a 09 600 E-Tech Gade and will put a Tour Buddy on it. Guessing I should be good for 280 miles. It will be interesting to see how it's mileage really is. Supertrax got incredible mileage on theirs...

For sure! With a Tour Buddy ln that 600 E-Tech you should be good for all day, most days.

Let us know how your mileage holds out????

(what capacity is your Tour Buddy??)

For sure! With a Tour Buddy ln that 600 E-Tech you should be good for all day, most days.

Let us know how your mileage holds out????

(what capacity is your Tour Buddy??)

They are like 4 gallons, I am going to try to mount the one from my REV...If that does not work I will buy a new one for XP...

.....Hi everybody, happy cold weather. DID anybody go to mitissini from chib last winter? They where suppose to improve that trail and groom it with big machine last winter. last time I tried it 2 winters ago, it was a single sled trail... starting out behind the hospital in chib. Why is 54 oob, they use the pump for there own equipment. or is it just no gas for sleds??? or is the whole plant shut down.