God …I love this S;$T

snowmaster2112

just put Simmons skis on adjusted the alignment and shocks and got rid of all the darting, really rails now, just hate adding 2 stroke oil, no big deal really unless you are out in the bush for a week and need to carry oil, but it absolutely shines in these big storms. The frozen steering...I took mine apart and used water poof grease on all the bushing and bell crank an drilled a couple holes to drain water, in heavy snow it's so hard to keep it out of the engine compartment and it's tight and warm in there perfect conditions to freeze things...first time it happened to me I thought something came apart and was going to jam the steering while I was riding...spent a day in a garage with a little heat finding out things were frozen

should have mentioned that the tie rods ends just inside those rubber boots where they are on the inside also freeze up and need to be lubed with a non drying non freezing lubricant like a chain lube that spays on but tacks up....its hard to have a spray can in these temps because the tend to loose their pressure...probably going to be an issue this trip...real pain

Just toooooo tired tonight to update. I will post in the a.m. before we leave for camp.

96 miles today. Filled with exiliration, awesomeness, confusion and shear terror all in one day. 

Perfect day of snowmobiling !!!!

Absolutely beautiful morning here at Haltaparche. We will be leaving here today to go back to camp for the last night of our trip via 83, 345, M20 & M21.

i see they came all the way up to Casey last night so the Kanawata Express is going to get a severe ass whoopin just before noon today. I’m guessing we will be first tracks and I apologize in advance on what I’m going to do to that trail....LOL

We are having our coffee here and discussing the trip and grooming situation. Ironic thing I brought up is that for the last decade or so I have split my club membership up between 3 clubs that I ride in the most. St Zenon, Matawin, & Alliance du Nord. WITHOUT FAIL....every year it’s the one I pic that lets me down the most. Guess who I picked this year ???

there really is no justification as to why Alliance has not rolled any groomers out of Parent this week. If they keep dicking around and there is another storm they won’t be able to get through. Enough of my rant on that.....

yesterday after thawing out Jeffrey’s Yamaha steering problem we took off for Casey. Figured we had it made now as the 3 guys we saw earlier were heading to Kanawata so we new we wouldn’t have to be busting trail. Was looking forward to seeing Norman again from Camp de Base and trying out a couple cheeseburgers for lunch ( was REALLY looking forward to those cheeseburgers). 

So.....we got there with relative ease to find the place closed and DEEP untouched snow all over the property. I was leading and when I pulled in there I thought....ok....this IS where one of these three boat anchors is going down.

here 83 east following the previous sledders tracks

8151BDD0-0320-4E1A-B20A-A29274389F77.jpeg

As we are sitting there thinking “shit” no ones here and my back is gonna be blown out in a few minutes. I see some sign on the door and mon ami Andre....translates please.

TEMPORARILY CLOSED

TABERNAK......NO cheeseburgers 

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_01/C21F7CDA-AADA-44F6-9A50-29C4E0A301FA.thumb.jpeg.85cf68dd71e7f0595f52739700f18966.jpeg

Edited by snowmaster2112

So at this point I’m like ....well....I’m going to go talk to Norman and see what’s going on as he lives right on the other side of the bridge there. 

Here...back up on the bridge 150 yards away and in UTTER AMAZEMENT none of us got stuck getting out of there. And guess what.....NO Norman as I can see zero tracks going in/out of his place.

19427845-9FDF-461A-88BE-D321168C4ADA.jpeg

so here’s a little tidbit of info on the new place in Casey, “Camp de Base” to remember and pass on:

besides the “temporarily closed” sign on the door there was another kindly asking for a 2 dollar donation to come in and warm up/ hang out IF that’s all your going to do.

the “yurts” don’t come with any bedding and are 170 dollars a night for two single beds. IMO....they won’t be getting too many snowmobilirs to spend the night but I wish them well.

no gas this year but supposedly next season. Will see if Norman is back there today as we pass through.

here from last trip

48A55518-C49E-45CE-953E-ADF39746C15E.jpeg

So ....after leaving Casey the next destination was Wemotaci. Didn’t really have a choice as it was there for gas/food/liquor now or today as we wouldn’t have made it out of Haltaparche without doing so. 

Somewhere outside of Casey I had a bird brain idea to take a short cut.

wasnt 200 yards in when I thought WTF are you doing douchebag

F7FFB0F2-7DD6-4768-AF9B-D8F823F9C326.jpeg

Now.....I didn’t get stuck and at least had the common sense to get out of there but when I turned around the sled died.

im sitting there thinking “you moron” you had it made if you would have just stayed on the trail. Now you have caused your own problems.

Fortuneatly after checking everything and waiting 20 minutes she fired back up. Won’t make that mistake again...until next time.

Here coming into Wemotaci. Sad news there happening right before our eyes was a recovery mission for some Native that jumped off the bridge the night before. A sad reality in that town. May his soul fly with eagles now. They had boats and divers in the water right below the bridge and you could see the divers were damn near hypothermic.

we got our gas and groceries and headed back out of town. Ran into a tour group from France of 12-15 who were at Windigo the night before and heading to Kanawata. Awesome....more people to pack the snow down for us on our way back.

759CFD52-6A4C-4824-986F-C76B1221A65E.jpeg

Ok...now let’s talk about the 15+ miles of the 83 trail that’s plowed this year heading west out of Wemotaci due to logging.

Someone posted a week or so back that it wasn’t much of a problem. It wasn’t for us either yesterday as there was 3 inches of new snow on the shoulders near the bank where the grader didn’t get. What IS going to be a BIG problem IMO is as the season progresses and IF there is a (or multiple) thaws that section will become literal HELL. Remember you heard it hear.

between that and the Scerie 54 closed this year between LSJ and Chibougamau I wouldn’t dare try an 83/93 loop this year.

579D0A60-F6D8-4608-9F6A-AECADCDBDB42.jpeg

Edited by snowmaster2112

So...a measly 96 miles yesterday but TONS OF FUN with my two best buddies. Today we head back to Lac Chapeau de Paille for the night and blast back to Matawin in the a.m. to return home.

i leave you with a pic from Haltaparche this a.m. 

For me....there is NOTHING better in all of snowmobiling than this place and especially Jean-Guy who is turning 80 March 8th

i think a birthday cake is due. Just gotta figure out how to get one here.

im sure I will have some killer pics today (blue sky right now) but won’t be able to post them until on the way home.

take care all....safe season & track side down (unlike the lady from Ottawa at 100 Lacs a couple mornings ago who started hot dogging it and flipped the sled upside down in the parking lot. I had seen/spoke with her a few minutes earlier but went back to the cabin. Jeff goes into pay and when he walks out the front door the sled is upside down with her underneath and the throttle screaming away. And I thought only us Americans were dumb.

im trying to talk Jeffrey into letting me try his new Sidewinder from Casey down to Kanawata junction. As some of you might remember my fondness for that section. I can’t even imagine blasting that with 200 H.P.

2D5768FB-AA0B-4DD2-BBE2-75BA2F6A86DA.jpeg

53 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

So ....after leaving Casey the next destination was Wemotaci. Didn’t really have a choice as it was there for gas/food/liquor now or today as we wouldn’t have made it out of Haltaparche without doing so. 

Somewhere outside of Casey I had a bird brain idea to take a short cut.

wasnt 200 yards in when I thought WTF are you doing douchebag

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_01/F7FFB0F2-7DD6-4768-AF9B-D8F823F9C326.thumb.jpeg.5fa866677123c8ee15c570404f2fba90.jpeg

Don’t be so hard on yourself we all have momentary lack of judgement now and again.😀 

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Here coming into Wemotaci. Sad news there happening right before our eyes was a recovery mission for some Native that jumped off the bridge the night before. A sad reality in that town. May his soul fly with eagles now. They had boats and divers in the water right below the bridge and you could see the divers were damn near hypothermic.

we got our gas and groceries and headed back out of town. Ran into a tour group from France of 12-15 who were at Windigo the night before and heading to Kanawata. Awesome....more people to pack the snow down for us on our way back.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_01/759CFD52-6A4C-4824-986F-C76B1221A65E.thumb.jpeg.386f4a9728112d317b49fcfeb800b0d2.jpeg

Tough situation for sure at Wemo...may the wind always be on his back...RIP

3 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

so here’s a little tidbit of info on the new place in Casey, “Camp de Base” to remember and pass on:

besides the “temporarily closed” sign on the door there was another kindly asking for a 2 dollar donation to come in and warm up/ hang out IF that’s all your going to do.

the “yurts” don’t come with any bedding and are 170 dollars a night for two single beds. IMO....they won’t be getting too many snowmobilirs to spend the night but I wish them well.

no gas this year but supposedly next season. Will see if Norman is back there today as we pass through.

here from last trip

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_01/48A55518-C49E-45CE-953E-ADF39746C15E.thumb.jpeg.a64cb8a8eb01e6c10aa36a2391058a72.jpeg

When we went through last week he was open (we had burgers!)but the water had frozen the night before at his cabin and at the Camp de Base building.  Guess we'll have to see if he can overcome these obstacles. 

15 hours ago, Byrd said:

we all have momentary lack of judgement now and again.😀 

Appreciating that Snow Master is also a Master Rocker...

(And no one missed Waters' nor his politics on his exit)

Edited by PLAYHARD

On 1/20/2022 at 11:39 AM, dooright said:

When we went through last week he was open (we had burgers!)but the water had frozen the night before at his cabin and at the Camp de Base building.  Guess we'll have to see if he can overcome these obstacles. 

Didnt know about the water problem. Add this.......why he wasnt there for two days ..... his snowmobile AND side X side both having problems. He's down in LaTuque addressing that.

On 1/20/2022 at 6:18 PM, quebec bob said:

I'm trying to talk Jeff into a lack of judgement and let me try his new sidewinder out????

he would have ZERO issue with that. Funny thing is.....I never even got on it this whole trip so I dont know either. First part of trip would have been when to do it with the trail conditions but i didnt want to bother him as he was still getting used to it. The second half of the trip was just hold on and concentrate to get thru this. LOL

You really had a tough trip between all the new snow and the coldest week in years… and being locked out for even a coffee… would have really been hell if not for Andre’s camp and Jean Guy’s camp… precisely why no traffic and grooming daily in the north….  just the same, it was still much better than work… when we go in March it should be much better… and maybe the no eat deal will be over… here’s to hoping!!