Lanaudière Joliette/St-Côme/St-Michel des Saints 21 dec 2013

towing

Wow ! there’s alot of snow !

it's amazing how it improves from one week to the other! We got a foot of snow the day after my last report, we got around 6 inches on last friday and we are still in an other snow storm today sunday!

It give us very good conditions yesterday, it’s really an incredibile season start again this year ...

We were able to left the trailer away and directly start by sled from home in the very south of lanaudiere with our buddy Snowcruiser .

DSC00287_zps50a02be6.jpg

Our ride path choice for this ride:

carte_zpse4caad0e.jpg

With a very gray sky , the visibility was very limited in the fields. Because of the snow drop and winds the night before (yes again!!), there was some snow drifts so we had to ride carefully.

DSC00295_zps556f1e19.jpg

But as soon as we entered the woods in St Felix de Valois visibility returned good

DSC00296_zps1d551c7c.jpg

Even here in the south of Lanaudiere near the St-Laurence river the snow to the ground is impressive and we are in winter conditions

DSC00301_zps75da30c9.jpg

We talked a bit with a patrol near the cabin in St-Felix

DSC00308_zpse2b1ecb9.jpg

And then forked in St -Jean de Matha direction. The trails were just groomed during the night and it was beautiful

DSC00311_zps26748b92.jpg

Black River in St- Jean de Matha is already marked and safe

DSC00312_zps11cfb521.jpg

Here near the golf/tube sliding of St- Jean de Matha

DSC00317_zps8c997a67.jpg

The trail between Ste-Émilie de l’Énergie and Bazinet outfitter was a little less good not because of lack of snow, there's a lot, but because but it was recently opened and there still whips and branches over the trail... a couple dozer passes will surely fix this .

DSC00323_zps8a8496aa.jpg

Once we passed Bazinet outfitter

DSC00332_zpsff0032d0.jpg

It become really beautiful

DSC00334_zps6f2df88f.jpg

There’s a lot of snow there and the trees are laden it’s incredible ...

DSC00336_zpsdd5132bd.jpg

DSC00339_zpsccb79fbe.jpg

It's like a month later in January , even large hills are snowy , no rocks

DSC00344_zpsfe5aeaa6.jpg

DSC00348_zps4fd05981.jpg

We arrived at around 11:30 to Coin Lavigne for lunch and refueling

DSC00360_zps837ba6bc.jpg

DSC00352_zpsdf78a9ce.jpg

Even the deer bother to smile for the camera !

DSC00356_zps9812ef5a.jpg

After lunch we route towards the #33 trail to Rouge-Mattawin

Unlike last year, this portion is not plowed this year and is very beautiful. The trail follows a small river with several very interesting points of view

DSC00367_zps52773226.jpg

DSC00374_zps24bd8d1d.jpg

DSC00381_zps2a1b0f9a.jpg

Some peoples may recognize recognize here some beautiful sections of the old #63 trail from past years that are utilized on this trail

DSC00391_zps3ccb3953.jpg

DSC00393_zps33c62f77.jpg

The rest of this trail section is very good overall , a little twisty on some spots but wide enough on average. Near Rouge-Mattawin the trail goes on the wildlife reserve road.

DSC00397_zpsdf6db3ac.jpg

When we passed there the signage was not completed but when you get there from Coin Lavigne to Rouge Mattawin like us, you have to turn left and follow the road 2,5 miles before taking a short section of trail that takes you to Rouge Mattawin relay also called the Cafeteria

DSC00400_zpsf6985b0a.jpg

The relay was open and I talked with the man and the lady inside that operate the relay. They said they planned to remain open, but uncontrollable circumstances forced them to close a few days. They were open on 21 and 22 will be closed from 23 to 26 and officially reopened on December 27 for the rest of the season. They serve gaz and fuel as usual.

DSC00403_zps08da1c0c.jpg

We then took the #33 trail towards St- Michel des Saints . The trail path this year take the usual route from past years rather than the longer one from last year.

DSC00411_zpsef569d31.jpg

About halfway to St- Michel we encountered...

DSC00412_zps1b30f913.jpg

Oh yeah….

DSC00416_zps1900c999.jpg

DSC00421_zps0bbbe9a7.jpg

We took a small forced break near St -Michel ...

DSC00427_zpseb6ce36c.jpg

Then we did a last fuel up before taking the #63 trail to Cabanon. The hills were great, enough snow to cover all the rocks, just saw a couple potatoes throughout the whole ride

DSC00436_zps15cf922b.jpg

DSC00437_zps607e4f6a.jpg

It is even snowy in the trees as to the ground

DSC00439_zpsdccf82f7.jpg

Here a groomer on his start from Cabanon

DSC00443_zps47bfc43a.jpg

and we continued our return via trail # 23

DSC00444_zpsbfc75db0.jpg

We took a good break at Réal Massé outfitter. They made interior renovations and it’s really nice

DSC00447_zpsa85b9633.jpg

For the rest of our return, we got pretty bumpy sections but we encounter several sections already groomed in St- Gabriel de Brandon and also in St-Felix de Valois where it was perfect. We finally got home around 19:00 with 205 miles on the dreammeter.

In summary , the early season conditions are gone and we are now having beautiful winter conditions. The storm we had last night and today Sunday will even add many inches over those already beautiful winter conditions for snowmobiling . It is now or never time to enjoy, it's a go and win sure.

The Lanaudiere trail system is already quite open and the opening is going very well on Mauricie side, the St-Maurice river had just been marked (even it was a bit slushy). You can take a look here, in these days they update daily to reflect the opening progress and they write very interesting informations in the detail section
s

http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

Happy Trails and Merry Christmas to all!!!

Alain

Merci Alain,great job as always.Merry Christmas to you all,I see stanta has already rewarded you for being a good boy!

Hope to ride with u maybe in the new yr.I love that area!!!

Edited by hi-mileage

Great Report Alain. Some very beautiful pictures too.

Thanks Steven !!!

What a start to winter, hard to beleive it was 65F today in North Jersey. Great report as usual, will be up right after the New year!

Oh really, 65F /18C !!! Here the temps, play aroud -8C the whole weekend... It was so nice after the -25C and -31C of our first ride!

Alain thank you so much for the report. looks awesome !

You're welcome crazy !! very handsome !

onone is better than alain when it comes to great reports !!! love the story he tells with every pic .

Great thanks to you eddies, glad you enjoyed!

I look forward to getting really old. I won't have to go outside in the cold and ride, I will be happy just seeing Towing's pictures and stories from the comfort of my den!

Another great post, Towing!

mike

Virtual ride !!! I should have to work on a 3D version for the future :lol:

Thank you mike

Outstanding report! Thanks so much for sharing

My pleasure Pipeman

Great report , Think I just missed you at the St-Michel security stop !

Oh really!!! sorry the hear we miss you... hope you had a great in my playground!

Merci Alain,great job as always.Merry Christmas to you all,I see stanta has already rewarded you for being a good boy!

Hope to ride with u maybe in the new yr.I love that area!!!

My pleasure hi-mileage. Santa have also something really big this year for all my family, not snowmobile related but something really unforgettable that I had want to do for a while and that will be now possible at the beginning of this year.. it will cost us a bit of snowmobile time but i am very happy that we started the season so soon and we will catch up the sled lost time later in january.

Merry Christmas!!!

Fantastic report Alain, thanks for taking the time to ride, take pics and make a report for all of us. It certainly looks like we are off to a great start this winter.

JG

It's our pleasure to do that JG. Future is hard to predict but now conditions are outstanding!!! definitely promising for the next...

Great report and great pictures. Are you sure you are not a reporter for some snowmobile magazine. You write better stories than they do.

Thanks Bill!! We have no pretension about being professional grade in our trail reporting but we do it in a simple way, the same we live it in our ride. What we do is something different as the magazine reporters do, they write alot and put few pictures while I put alot picture with less words to let the pictures relate our rides...

I learn about those kind of reports from motorcycles forums where it is more common to read pictures ride reports and I was loving reading them, so I begin to do it with our sled ride and got very good comments since... they give alot information in a nice way.

Great pics and report....thx for sharing.

:drinks:

Great report! It is looking real good. I may finish the new sleds today and I will be loaded and ready to go.

Let's go 600IQHO!!! you won't regret it !

Great report Alain! Can't wait to get up there Merry Christmas to you and your family :drinks:

Thanks you very much viper !!! Merry Christmas for you and your family too :friends:

Great report as always! Can't wait till this Saturday. We head up to Le Cabanon for a week. Hope to see you there.

Shane

Hey Alain,,,,, Merry Christmas to you and your family,,,just wanted to ask if there is a place to stay that is snowmobile freindly and close toi the trails,,,going to be heading up that way to ride the day after Christmas for 4 days,,,coming up from southern ontario

Great report as always! Can't wait till this Saturday. We head up to Le Cabanon for a week. Hope to see you there.

Shane

Not sure if we will be in that area... maybe saturday but Mauricie side was also on our target...

You be disappointed for sure, ride safely and enjoy :good:

salut alain !!!

belles shot !!

thx for taking time to stop and take pics of groomers !!!

jean-guy

Thanks groomer !! it's my lovely half that should have the credit for most of those pics :give_rose:

Hey Alain,,,,, Merry Christmas to you and your family,,,just wanted to ask if there is a place to stay that is snowmobile freindly and close toi the trails,,,going to be heading up that way to ride the day after Christmas for 4 days,,,coming up from southern ontario

Merry Christmas to you too!! PM already sent...

:drinks:

Edited by towing