Presidents Day Trip to the Delta

themainer

The future wife got into snowmobiling last year and I picked her up a nice used 2017 900 ACE to ride, did about 1,000 miles with her around our home in Maine, so figured it's time to bring her up Nord. Been to the Delta before, nicer than the typical places I stay (Relais 22, my favorite dorm room), but figured it would be the best place to do 200+/- mile loops out of. Looking for anything we should know as I haven't been in the area since my Chibougamau loop in 2019.

Planning day one to take her to the "Cave" near Onatchiway, over to the Chappelle for lunch, then back down 93 with a stop at a viewpoint. 

Day 2 loop the lake south to north (suggestions for lunch and destinations?)

Day 3, quick 50-100 mile loop and then hopping in the truck home 5 hours. 

Open to suggestions for area restaurants (definitely doing La Cage one night) and any other ideas on loops or sights/destinations on the trail I might be missing. Never made it to the frozen waterfall off 93, but she's not super confident off trail yet so not sure I want to do that. 

Thank you in advance!

The Ravage for lunch about 70 miles from the delta one way 

Bay Ha Ha is something different to see 

we plan to be there the 11th to the 15th

Schooter

46 minutes ago, schooter said:

Bay Ha Ha is something different to see 

we plan to be there the 11th to the 15th

Schooter

Nice, should be a good time to be there. We'll be there the 18th through the 21st. Good time to get out of Maine with school vacation week. Is Bay Ha Ha where all the ice shacks are?

30 minutes ago, smclelan said:

Run the 373, not sure how many miles it would be for the day.

The entire way or just certain sections? Gonna run it from Onatchiway to KM 31 area, but haven't been on it west from there. 

Yes Bay Ha ha is the ice shacks

another run would be to Mt Apicia

2 hours ago, themainer said:

The entire way or just certain sections? Gonna run it from Onatchiway to KM 31 area, but haven't been on it west from there. 

The entire way if possible.  You could consider a two day loop of the lake. Leave the Delta, south around the bottom of the lake then up around to the 373.  Drop down to the cave and find a place to stay.  Next day back to the 373 to Onatchiway and back to the Delta.

We were at the cave last winter. The trail that leads to the cave isn’t groomed anymore. Trail is still there and you can ride it, just whooped out bad. Read they were trying to discourage people from visiting the cave.

IMG_0928.png

IMG_7213.jpeg

Do you know the name of the movie that utilized the cave?

Staring JT

On 12/5/2023 at 9:27 AM, Fuse6 said:

We were at the cave last winter. The trail that leads to the cave isn’t groomed anymore. Trail is still there and you can ride it, just whooped out bad. Read they were trying to discourage people from visiting the cave.

IMG_0928.png

IMG_7213.jpeg

19 hours ago, smclelan said:

A right of passage for a true QuebecRider to have a picture with their sled in the mouth of the cave.

Good to know, I was looking at the trail by Onatchiway and I remember that it wasn't up there as I'd only been there on a Thanksgiving run 6 years ago. That was a big help as now I remember it was at Lac La Mothe. Basically go to the old trail intersection, then cross the road and go to the dam right?

I have a pic of my sled in it back in 2016 on my computer somewhere when I was up there with my 10,000 mile 800 etec, whispering sweet nothings to her so that she'd make it back to St Raymond in once piece on our saddlebagger. -30 one morning and it snowed 18 inches the first day so we dug out 5 other sleds over the course of a few days. Good times.

2 hours ago, themainer said:

Good to know, I was looking at the trail by Onatchiway and I remember that it wasn't up there as I'd only been there on a Thanksgiving run 6 years ago. That was a big help as now I remember it was at Lac La Mothe. Basically go to the old trail intersection, then cross the road and go to the dam right?

I have a pic of my sled in it back in 2016 on my computer somewhere when I was up there with my 10,000 mile 800 etec, whispering sweet nothings to her so that she'd make it back to St Raymond in once piece on our saddlebagger. -30 one morning and it snowed 18 inches the first day so we dug out 5 other sleds over the course of a few days. Good times.

Yes take the rough trail west from the groomed trail, when you get to the dam cross the road to the left and take the single track trail down the hill to the cave.

IMG_0930.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Now that we're less than a week from go time, conditions seem less than ideal around town especially after reading Jeff and Sandy's report.

Would it be better to try and get a place in Saint Honorie or another place north of the river or do you guys think riding in and out of the Delta will be fine?

Decided to cancel at the Delta and stay north of the river all trip and rented a Condo on AirBnB near where Passion Quebec was on the ski mountain. Looks like still a good amount of snow up there for a few 200 mile loops which is about the ol lady's limit for loops in Maine.

38 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

Yes great loops for you and your closest 1000 friends, lol

I hope not but with limited riding everyone will likely be in a few concentrated areas now

Exactly this

1 hour ago, doo4adoo said:

Yes great loops for you and your closest 1000 friends, lol

I hope not but with limited riding everyone will likely be in a few concentrated areas now

If things get too crazy we'll strike off up Bras Louis, been up there with Early rider in November before so we can stay up out of traffic if it gets too crazy, hoping early week riding is a bit quieter than a Valin weekend!

4 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Great, make sure you post us the live conditions, I'm right behind you

Will do, arriving Sunday night then riding Monday Tuesday and Wednesday

Just back from the Delta, so a quick update.

The Grooming Teams are doing a great job with what they have to work with,,,,,, but they dont have much to work with around town and in the lower elevations.

With all the traffic from the foreigners ( hahahahaha) the trails are not holding a grooming long, smoother on the way out, than a few hours later, stutters back in.

It was great seeing everyone!

Please set your expectations appropriately.....

Later

GutZ

Staying in Alma now trails coming out of town were little rough not horrible but once outside of town it got pretty good. We got a late start(noon) due to my sled breaking(secondary came apart) 20miles in so had to limp back and get my buds backup sled to ride. We rode 93 over to pic du le dos de cheval for some summit pictures and went over and got dinner at yourte bistro by the ski mountain. The only thing I noticed bad was there is a lot of ice under the groomed snow so be careful. My bud slid backwards down the hill going up to the ski resort for gas lol. Trying to get parts this morning so probably another late start. I posted some pics on freedom sledder I can’t get them to work here for some reason.

Late start this morning around 9:30 since the ol lady doesn't like -10F snowmobiling. Rode over to the cave, Begin, Nature Otis, up to 373 across to Onatchiway, then back down 373 to the Ski Mountain 170 miles. Heading south to the cave over to Begin that first 60 miles was nothing to write home about, the rest of the way was good to excellent, met 2 groomers on the way home. Tomorrow heading for the frozen waterfall, possibly Sacre Couer loop if they groom and she's motivated enough. Better than sitting home on the couch, but definitely not usual Quebec conditions as we knew it wouldn't be. 

Snapchat-285083736.jpg

Snapchat-1835750143.jpg

Snapchat-891649502.jpg

Edited by themainer

1 hour ago, themainer said:

Late start this morning around 9:30 since the ol lady doesn't like -10F snowmobiling. Rode over to the cave, Begin, Nature Otis, up to 373 across to Onatchiway, then back down 373 to the Ski Mountain 170 miles. Heading south to the cave over to Begin that first 60 miles was nothing to write home about, the rest of the way was good to excellent, met 2 groomers on the way home. Tomorrow heading for the frozen waterfall, possibly Sacre Couer loop if they groom and she's motivated enough. Better than sitting home on the couch, but definitely not usual Quebec conditions as we knew it wouldn't be. 

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2024_02/Snapchat-285083736.thumb.jpg.ad50da7a5bbba743a94466017d287db4.jpg

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2024_02/Snapchat-1835750143.thumb.jpg.d17dbcfae635aee15498b58998a886b3.jpg

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2024_02/Snapchat-891649502.thumb.jpg.947a751e35cb92c3104f0c2bd15dabe3.jpg

Wow we must have been right behind you. I think I seen your sleds at onatchiway. We got there around 2:30 you don’t see many lynx around so I notice them maybe it wasn’t you though. We did the same stops and similar route too.

The route we took…..left Alma headed north on 23 to 93 east, up local 554? and then east on 328, up 476 stopped at the cave (thank you for the above posted directions that helped) we got lunch and gas at onatchiway. From lunch we headed west on 373 stopped at that warming teepee, think we took local 900 to get back 93 not sure the trail was so good I wasn’t really paying attention lol. 93 had a ridiculously long straight rip down the powerlines I thought was never going to end. Then it was back over toward Alma. Leaving Alma wasn’t great but rideable. Everything up to the cave was good snow just bumpy needed grooming. The highlight of the day was definitely 373 trail was smooth and fast very fun we even ran into the groomer on it.

1 hour ago, Skidoorider said:

Wow we must have been right behind you. I think I seen your sleds at onatchiway. We got there around 2:30 you don’t see many lynx around so I notice them maybe it wasn’t you though. We did the same stops and similar route too.

The route we took…..left Alma headed north on 23 to 93 east, up local 554? and then east on 328, up 476 stopped at the cave (thank you for the above posted directions that helped) we got lunch and gas at onatchiway. From lunch we headed west on 373 stopped at that warming teepee, think we took local 900 to get back 93 not sure the trail was so good I wasn’t really paying attention lol. 93 had a ridiculously long straight rip down the powerlines I thought was never going to end. Then it was back over toward Alma. Leaving Alma wasn’t great but rideable. Everything up to the cave was good snow just bumpy needed grooming. The highlight of the day was definitely 373 trail was smooth and fast very fun we even ran into the groomer on it.

I think we rolled into Onatchiway around 3 something so very well could have been! Sounds like you guys had as good of trip as we did! Yes I remember that long powerline section on 93 back when we were up here in 2016. You.guys staying at the Delta in Alma? Been there where we had to park our sleds in the parking garage.