North of Quebec City

dave19

Does anyone know if you can still unload and hit the trails from the parking lot where the Relais du Nord (red roof) was on highway 73 in Stoneham et Tewkesbury south of L'Etape? Been many years since i've been in that area and was hoping parking was still allowed there.

As a thought, call the ole 4 Points ( could be a DBL Tree ) and see if you can ride out of there? easy on \ easy off , parking, food, pool.

GutZ

On 1/6/2024 at 12:46 PM, dave19 said:

Does anyone know if you can still unload and hit the trails from the parking lot where the Relais du Nord (red roof) was on highway 73 in Stoneham et Tewkesbury south of L'Etape? Been many years since i've been in that area and was hoping parking was still allowed there.

I have always felt safe leaving our truck/trailer at various hotels in Quebec but wouldn't feel safe leaving my truck & trailer there over one or more nights. Empty parking area with no lighting in a rural setting. JMHO.

Its a crap chute !  Left rig at a motel a few years back In the Levi area motel was called at the time Hotel Berniers. Featured Designated parking illuminated for sled / Atv  rigs.

Went out for a week came back and GMC duramax diesel gone trailer left behind. Security cameras all grainy worthless. Truck was facing Motel across street. No one of authority was much interested !

11 hours ago, Snohorse said:

Its a crap chute !  Left rig at a motel a few years back In the Levi area motel was called at the time Hotel Berniers. Featured Designated parking illuminated for sled / Atv  rigs.

Went out for a week came back and GMC duramax diesel gone trailer left behind. Security cameras all grainy worthless. Truck was facing Motel across street. No one of authority was much interested !

Not uncommon 20-30 years ago. Less of a problem now I think? I still prefer to launch from Northern Maine.

14 hours ago, Snohorse said:

We left the Suburban and trailer in that same parking lot on our first ever Quebec/ Gaspe (1996) and second trip we made to Gaspe. That parking lot was probably one of the sketchiest of any we have parked at over the years. It looked like it should be OK right across from the motel but was a good distance away. We pulled the main ignition relay out of the fuse panel under the hood and parked truck to snowbank. Had no issues but felt more at ease when riding having performed those little prevention items before leaving.

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We pulled the main ignition relay out of the fuse panel under the hood and parked truck to snowbank. 

Did the same thing. I suggested to the cops the thieves used a flat bed tow. Especially since they left trailer. Cop told me no Way WTF ers.

Hired a flat bed put sleds and trailer delivered us back to boarder.  Always a adventure sledding not all bad.

8 hours ago, Fozzy said:

They will be disappointed when the go under my Cummins to take the catalytic 😜.

Maybe install a dummy one to throw them off. Or they may take the rig.

Hidden Kill switches installed on critical engine circuits. Worked in the eighties and nineties. With the key hacking going on

these days I will be installing before I return with my 3500 diesel!

Disconnecting , or completely removing the battery is an option also. I recall in the mid 1990's I stayed at motel Senator in Mont Laurier. All the sleds would be parked bumper to bumper under the canopy at the entrance of the hotel. I was told lone sleds in the parking lot would disappear. They would come by in pickup trucks and grab them with a hook on a rope, drag them out of the lot and toss them in the truck and be gone in seconds.

The problem is definitely not as bad as it was.

Edited by wng-2

On 1/6/2024 at 5:56 PM, dooright said:

There were a couple of rigs there when we drove by 2 weeks ago. Both had single trailers so my guess would be locals. Wouldn't park my rig there for any length of time myself but thats just me.