Theft near St. Zenon

Jackstraw

Linda, just curious, what preventative measures were in place on the truck? Whenever I read about a theft I always wondernwhatnthe circumstances were. Without knowing the circumstances it hard to know if the thief had it easy or had to work for it.

Also, how are the trails in Mont Laurier?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linda, I follow a very basic rule. The less english speaking people the better. I love Cote Nord, Clova, Parent, Relais 22, Abitibi, Mt. Valin West,Bay James. We bag ride no day trips. Pick a nice Motel off the beaten path, disable the truck and you will be fine. I like to start in Riviere Matawin. Once you get North of Repos you will see no one. We did 1600 miles in the Cote Nord a week ago and passed 3 sleds, also saw a heard of caribou. We like staying in the bush. Windigo, Barrage Guin, Hotel Tamarac etc.

Where ?

St.Zenon is in Hells Angells territory, stolen trucks and sleds is a revenue for them, it's their neighbourhood stay out. Jolliette is base camp for those boys.

A la Glaciere you pay 12.00 per day, close with a fence and lock, 20 km before St-Zenon

Edited by Coyote

At La Glaciere is there a truck corral? Been past there several times in the past week and do t remember trucks being in a corral.

One of our riders thinks he was "quizzed" by someone we came across at La Glaciere. Don't be too outgoing anywhere in Quebec.

I had one more thought on the stolen truck/sled issue and I will le it go. I am 46 years old and have rode in QC since I was 18. I average 4-5 thousand miles a Winter, 7-8 thousand pre 3 daughters. I am in QC on average 3 weeks a Winter. That is close to a year and half spent on snowmobile in QC. I am a proud American from NH that loves Canada. I have never had a problem. I love the Maratimes, I love that curling is on TV, I love the Canadian nationalism, that when you walk in to a bar or motel during the Olympics it is on TV, in some weird sort of way I like that Canadian money is worth more than American, it shows how far the country has come in 10 years, I like that Canada is our Northern border, I like that the second best hockey players in the World come from Canada, I like that it gets to -40 during the Winter, I like that QC is French speaking and proud of it's heritage, I like that I can ride my sled from Gaspe to Val Dor. During the late 90's and early 2000's the theft problem in the ST. Zenon area was out of control. I have a good source that puts the number of stolen trucks and sleds in the thousands. The last few years the theft problem has really dropped off. The economy, I don't know. I hope it is not rearing it's ugly head again. Let us also not forget about the lodge owner and his worker who were killed and burned in this area. As far as I know no one was ever arrested. I know of no one that ever had anything stolen in this area get anything back. This area has a dark side, a very dark side that no one talks about. It is too bad as it is beautiful with a lot of hard working honest people. It is an area laid out perfectly for snowmobiling. Good snow, good trails, nice small villages, and above all good people. I personally have chosen to avoid this area. I would not put a truck, trailer and sleds at risk. With that being said there are a lot of places in the States I would not park a truck and trailer.

I had one more thought on the stolen truck/sled issue and I will le it go. I am 46 years old and have rode in QC since I was 18. I average 4-5 thousand miles a Winter, 7-8 thousand pre 3 daughters. I am in QC on average 3 weeks a Winter. That is close to a year and half spent on snowmobile in QC. I am a proud American from NH that loves Canada. I have never had a problem. I love the Maratimes, I love that curling is on TV, I love the Canadian nationalism, that when you walk in to a bar or motel during the Olympics it is on TV, in some weird sort of way I like that Canadian money is worth more than American, it shows how far the country has come in 10 years, I like that Canada is our Northern border, I like that the second best hockey players in the World come from Canada, I like that it gets to -40 during the Winter, I like that QC is French speaking and proud of it's heritage, I like that I can ride my sled from Gaspe to Val Dor. During the late 90's and early 2000's the theft problem in the ST. Zenon area was out of control. I have a good source that puts the number of stolen trucks and sleds in the thousands. The last few years the theft problem has really dropped off. The economy, I don't know. I hope it is not rearing it's ugly head again. Let us also not forget about the lodge owner and his worker who were killed and burned in this area. As far as I know no one was ever arrested. I know of no one that ever had anything stolen in this area get anything back. This area has a dark side, a very dark side that no one talks about. It is too bad as it is beautiful with a lot of hard working honest people. It is an area laid out perfectly for snowmobiling. Good snow, good trails, nice small villages, and above all good people. I personally have chosen to avoid this area. I would not put a truck, trailer and sleds at risk. With that being said there are a lot of places in the States I would not park a truck and trailer.

x2! Well stated.

Very true may happen more in the St Zenon area but it happens at home too I know someone right now looking for his 3 sleds at least he got the trailer back that they were in right in NE PA but he got something back. Like you said you lose it in QC kiss it good bye forever,corrupt cops with bikers on the take IMO. Wouldnt be surprised if the cop that drove thru the hotel where the truck was stolen wasnt in on it. Edited by bobbynj66

We fall in the victim category.

In 2000 a Dodge diesel, four place trailer and three sleds were stolen from us in Sherbrooke. Much to our surprise, the truck and trailer were found the next morning in the next town on a remote road. The sleds were gone and anything not bolted down was taken. Fords and Chevys seem to be preferred over Dodges.

It is my opinion that the worker at the front desk of the hotel made a phone call after we arrived. The worker told us where we could park the truck. While the truck was being stolen, a car had pulled up to our room and put the high beams on to discourage us from looking out the window or hear the diesel start up. It is easy to look back and see what happened.

A few years later we had an empty two place Featherlight trailer stolen from a hotel parking lot. This was captured on surveillance video. The thieves had hoods hiding their faces and their truck had snow covering the license plate. They stole the trailer at 6 PM when there was a lot of activity in the lot and no one noticed.

We have learned to make our vehicle NOT the easiest target. Pulling the relays, covering the VIN, disconnecting the battery, steering wheel lock, chains thru the wheels, etc. are all good. We even have Denver boots for the truck and trailer. I'm told the police use them in Quebec for vehciles that they are interested in. This may have a secondary affect by making the thieves think the cops are watching the vehicle.

Gade_guy, thanks for the suggestion on cracking the bleeder on the diesel filter. Another easy step.

Nothing is perfect but each thing we do slows the thieves down. Again, you don't want to be the easiest target.

Jack & Sandi

At La Glaciere is there a truck corral? Been past there several times in the past week and do t remember trucks being in a corral.

Yes they have one actionjack, it is located on the south side of the building. I parked there with Coyote when we did our Chibougamau trip last year. This pic was taken from there..

DSC01900.jpg

Like i already wrote to actionjack on HCS, it have been a very long time that I don't heard about this kind of theft in the area. It is not appeared to be a theifs wave in St-Zenon because it's the first i'm aware of since a while and the one Linda just write about is 300kms farther in Mt-Laurier, but it is a serious wake up call about security mesures for sure...

Even we don't like to ear it theft is a curse that happened everywhere, even in the US. I have a friend that had his car stolen on a trip there 2 years ago (new-hampshire in a small town). My sister in law and her group have been totally robbed this fall at the beginnng of their 3 weeks trip in Europe when they stopped for a lunch (it was in Italia) and their rent car have been pillage. They loose everything except their passport that they had fortunately kept on them...

Nothing is perfect but each thing we do slows the thieves down. Again, you don't want to be the easiest target.

You pinpoint the same way I think on this... I volountary bought a used trailer in place of a new one to have something less tempting in the parkings and I really consider a denver boot for the trailer and maybe the car. I seen a plan from a local guy a couple years ago that build one and use a special mag nut enclosed inside a tube in place of a padlock to lock the boot which was brillant design and very bogging for a thief...

Where ever you travel, raise your guard and use more security than less...

Alain

http://www.newswire....icles-in-canada

From the insurance bureau of canada...no dodge! ?? lol

Hi Linda,

Not only are the Dodges missing but the Chevy trucks are missing also except for one year of the Trailblazer. I wonder if it is due to the fact that each model is also broken down by year? Maybe this spreads the number of vehicles stolen over many moldel years and not one particular year is high enough to make the list, other than the Ford 350 which is a big hit.

Jack

I share many of these same sentiments. The group have discussed a lot what will do next year. We are not big milers and always seem to find interesting little places in the middle of no where. Mostly the group wants to return with a more serious consideration of security.

Yes they have one actionjack, it is located on the south side of the building. I parked there with Coyote when we did our Chibougamau trip last year. This pic was taken from there..

DSC01900.jpg

Like i already wrote to actionjack on HCS, it have been a very long time that I don't heard about this kind of theft in the area. It is not appeared to be a theifs wave in St-Zenon because it's the first i'm aware of since a while and the one Linda just write about is 300kms farther in Mt-Laurier, but it is a serious wake up call about security mesures for sure...

Even we don't like to ear it theft is a curse that happened everywhere, even in the US. I have a friend that had his car stolen on a trip there 2 years ago (new-hampshire in a small town). My sister in law and her group have been totally robbed this fall at the beginnng of their 3 weeks trip in Europe when they stopped for a lunch (it was in Italia) and their rent car have been pillage. They loose everything except their passport that they had fortunately kept on them...

You pinpoint the same way I think on this... I volountary bought a used trailer in place of a new one to have something less tempting in the parkings and I really consider a denver boot for the trailer and maybe the car. I seen a plan from a local guy a couple years ago that build one and use a special mag nut enclosed inside a tube in place of a padlock to lock the boot which was brillant design and very bogging for a thief...

Where ever you travel, raise your guard and use more security than less...

Alain

Alain your sincere sentiments are appreciated.

Can't remember if I posted this but the border guards told us the thefts have jumped this year.

It sucks for sure, but all in all it sounds like you're going to bounce back, and that's the most important thing, to not let those f*ckers win and ruin your passion.

AMEN!!

I have always been guided by this saying: 'Locks only keep honest people honest'. If a professional thief wants your stuff, they will get it and any precautions you take will only give someone (if there is 'someone' around to notice)a chance to see unusual activity and hopefully take action to stop the theft. That being said, normal precautions are always recommended and I for one won't stay somewhere 'it doesn't feel right' no matter how good the trails are. Too many questions about your itinerary or evasiveness to your questions isn't good. Our community here seems to have a good information exchange that benefits everyone. The corrals exist because something has happened and should always be utilized. The more vicious thieves won't be stopped/deterred and as mentioned, will sometimes commit heinous crimes to 'take care' of those who get in their way.

Great post and much appreciated. However I do have to object to the bold!

Edited by Mike 800 Ren X

Phil,

If you can get the sled started, bring it over to St Zenon and leave it in the parking lot running with a live grenade under the track. =@

That will take care of your problem sled and at least one thief. :diablo:

Jack

Jack:

It'll start it just won't move... :bad: