Trouble for next year already

iceman

How can you help? I believe the best thing that could be done at this point is write lots of emails. Is there a few businesses you were planning on visiting or staying with on your trip next winter? Send them a letter telling them you are planning to spend your winter tourism dollars somewhere else next winter. You can write the same one and send it to several different places. Make sure they know snowmobiling is the reason for you to come to their business, and your $$ will go to other states or provinces if the trails are not opened. In the email you should recommend your message get forwarded along to government. Real power of the email is when it is sent to government by a business owner that is employing several peole and paying taxes. With less visits, less staff is required, and business may even have to shut down for the winter. This whole issue is over lack of support from government to help with infrastructure dollars to help maintan trails and bridges.

Just my thoughts

I like your idea.

Only thing I wonder is if the recipients of our e-mail's would know where to forward a copy to so it would hit home in the correct places in the government and wake up the right people.

There are probably a lot of business people that will be affected that may not have any idea of who to complain too. I remember the issues a few years back and if I remember correctly someone started a petition for signatures.

Also just imagine how much their welfare burden would increase by with all the additional people out of a job, adding additional taxes to an already over taxed economy.

I for one would send out e-mails if I knew where to send it too!

Just my thought

Edited by artcat900

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am disapointed in the way the Quebec trail system is run by the clubs and the Government. 4 sleds I pay for. 2 Never ever go on trails. I do this to support snowmobilling in the area I am in..I dont like to waste money. But I will be re-thinking this cause of all the crap that keeps commin up when we talk sledding in Quebec. Now I know why they always say except in Quebec..lol.. This province for sledding has lost sooo much in the last 10 years. I see more people now giviing up on the trail system. I just wonder when they will come after us inj the mountains for some stupid reason.

You guys will have to get skandics or mountain sleds. Then you might not put miles on..but snowmobilling use to be breaking trail and going by maps and GPS.. HEY...Sounds like a gaspe snowmobile adventure to me..lol...Jack

Good luck guys and gals cause its going to be a long winter if you all end up on the same trail system..

Sorry to say this...I know its not popular....but we must increase our trail pass cost to cover the expense of grooming, signage, equipment and fuel and insurance. Simple fact is there just isn't enough income to support our trail system. The Canadian Federal Government puts Millions and Millions of dollars into Quebec snowmobiling...and as much as I love the trails...it really shouldn't be tax payers money supporting our sport. I know it brings business to small communities and creates employment and all that...but truth is you can't join a Golf Course as cheap as the Quebec (or Ontario) trail pass.

It`s not just in Quebec, it`s everywhere.

I already know my thought won't be popular...but I just have to say it. Our pass is cheap. We get a lot of bang for the buck and the best solution is the increase of the trail pass.

Linda

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/03/more-fed-money-for-tiny-projects-continues-to-baffle

What!! I don't play Golf in Quebec?

I do agree with you, I think people's complaints are not about the pass fees as much being used as a political football.

Later

GutZ

The cost of the trail pass is not my issue. My issue is will we be able to ride our 2014 sleds we just ordered in quebec next winter. After all I bought them just to ride in Quebec. I would have kept my 2012's if I were only going to ride states side.

Right on Linda! Everything always comes down to money. Expenses have increased significantly and permit sales have dropped. Simple math says the shortfall must be made up with higher trail pass prices.

True but the higher price will also have a net neg effect in more ridng and not buying or not all together. One shoe wontfix the issue but yes higher pass prices will be needed imo . Many locals dont buy now but take and use I would target that more as well

In the end the trails will open money and sides will give.

In the end I feel the same as rmk. This will be settled, permits will be sold (at a slightly higher price) and trails will be groomed when the snow falls again. 13K for a sled what is a few hundred for a trail permit. Although it will certainly have a negative affect trying to get new visitors to spend that much cash to ride.

I'll pay more to ride up there , as I have every year. But if you havent already noticed, there are fewer americans than past years. I think the big reasons are Passports, Improved New England trails, Fuel cost and Trail pass cost. Even at the early bird rate its 3 times the cost of Maine or NHTrail pass. I still pay and ride in Quebec but I know of folks that stay home now and its gotten harder and harder to convince first timers to go. Jacking the trail pass fees higher and higher will only reduce rider numbers and put even more locals on Quads.

Oh boy, this is really going to be interesting. We all agree that permit fees will go up again, that is a given. But as was mentioned, why do we

have to always be the pawn for the politics that seems to be cropping up each year with this sport? I will be the first to admit that I have had

to cut back on my trips because of the exchange rate. IMO, 1 year without snowmobiling in Quebec will cripple them. I like the bombardment

with emails idea. Maybe everyone should also include a rough estimate on what they spend each winter there to show how much will be lost.

I think I will sit down and figure that out tonight. (I might scare myself!) Looks like Maine, N.B. and Ontario might be in the plans next year.

Sno Train here I come!

Seriously, I believe this will be settled in time, just like the farmers situation was. Somewhere along the line, though, this will be a lose/lose

situation.

In my opinion it's the fuel costs...... Hurts everyone and everything!

How much less would it cost t groom if fuel was $1.50 a gallon.

How many more trips would u take.....

Fuel has to make up more than 50 percent of ur costs for a trip......

Cheaper fuel..... More riders less overhead to maintain the system, more revenue to local business

How we reduce fuel prices is the million dollar question.?

Fuel is only one part of the equation, and has nothing to do with this issue. The ask the FCMQ is looking for relates to infrastructure dollars. The Department of Enviroment has put a huge cost on snowmobiling. The bridge standards that have to be met to cross even small brooks, not to mention bigger streams and rivers. The cost of due diligence in signage, trail marking, sight lines, brush cutting,...... all come at huge costs. There is much more to operating a trail system than running a groomer. Snowmobiling in PQ puts $200 million in taxes into provincial coffers and $160 million into Federal annually. They are asking for a little bit of that back over the next 3 years.

Fuel is only one part of the equation, and has nothing to do with this issue. The ask the FCMQ is looking for relates to infrastructure dollars. The Department of Enviroment has put a huge cost on snowmobiling. The bridge standards that have to be met to cross even small brooks, not to mention bigger streams and rivers. The cost of due diligence in signage, trail marking, sight lines, brush cutting,...... all come at huge costs. There is much more to operating a trail system than running a groomer. Snowmobiling in PQ puts $200 million in taxes into provincial coffers and $160 million into Federal annually. They are asking for a little bit of that back over the next 3 years.

good post Steven...operating a snowmobile club is getting more and more expensive. The income from trail passes sale is only a portion off the budget. Environmental laws are stiffer= $$$$

GREAT NEWS!!! THE BLOCKADE IS OVER!!!!

The Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Quebec (FCMQ) is pleased to announce that, following a series of productive meetings with Mr. Sylvain Gaudreault, Transport Minister of Municipal Affairs, Regions and Land Occupancy, as the Ministry of Transport has offered FCMQ a budget of about $ 3 million over 3 years to fund infrastructure projects and the draft regional implementation of labor FCMQ. The distribution of these 3 million will be $ 400,000 for labor and $ 600 regionalized implement 000 infrastructure.
Mr. Gaudreault has demonstrated a strong desire to contribute to the sustainability of the snowmobile industry and understands the urgency of the project sustainable trail that is currently under development.
FCMQ greatly thank Mr. Gaudreault have opened the door as quickly a common understanding between the provincial authorities. Mr. Gaudreault has reassured FCMQ a committee will be established to evaluate other sources of funding to meet the objectives of the proposed public-private partnership at the provincial and federal level. Recall that the original application was FCMQ 4.5 million ($ 500,000 per year for regional development and $ 1 million for infrastructure).
Finally, Marc-André Boivin, CEO FCMQ, was very enthusiastic about this offer from the Department of Transport: "The snowmobile industry in Quebec generates $ 2 billion economic impact annually! It was absolutely necessary to develop a financial partnership to maintain and improve our infrastructure. This will also provide labor in the region to support clubs in their tasks. What is wonderful is that behind this important for winter tourism economic engine there snowmobilers who are not only passionate, but have also shown solidarity and commitment to the future of their industry. ".

GREAT NEWS!!! THE BLOCKADE IS OVER!!!!

The Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Quebec (FCMQ) is pleased to announce that, following a series of productive meetings with Mr. Sylvain Gaudreault, Transport Minister of Municipal Affairs, Regions and Land Occupancy, as the Ministry of Transport has offered FCMQ a budget of about $ 3 million over 3 years to fund infrastructure projects and the draft regional implementation of labor FCMQ. The distribution of these 3 million will be $ 400,000 for labor and $ 600 regionalized implement 000 infrastructure.

Mr. Gaudreault has demonstrated a strong desire to contribute to the sustainability of the snowmobile industry and understands the urgency of the project sustainable trail that is currently under development.

FCMQ greatly thank Mr. Gaudreault have opened the door as quickly a common understanding between the provincial authorities. Mr. Gaudreault has reassured FCMQ a committee will be established to evaluate other sources of funding to meet the objectives of the proposed public-private partnership at the provincial and federal level. Recall that the original application was FCMQ 4.5 million ($ 500,000 per year for regional development and $ 1 million for infrastructure).

Finally, Marc-André Boivin, CEO FCMQ, was very enthusiastic about this offer from the Department of Transport: "The snowmobile industry in Quebec generates $ 2 billion economic impact annually! It was absolutely necessary to develop a financial partnership to maintain and improve our infrastructure. This will also provide labor in the region to support clubs in their tasks. What is wonderful is that behind this important for winter tourism economic engine there snowmobilers who are not only passionate, but have also shown solidarity and commitment to the future of their industry. ".

That's great news, happy this got settled before crunch time.

1 mil a year over 3 years is a start and will certainly help, this agreement has opened some new doors and will snowball in the years to come, good work to the directors involved.

WELL GOOD NEWS I GUESS and early too so we can go back to WATER SKIPPING , at least they could count.!! what they bring in from sledding is much more that they put out ! sales are way up on mountain sleds even in flat lands , that must say something .enjoy the summer its almost here if we can see thru the RAINDROPS , good news it keeps water levels up. ALWAYS A GOOD SIDE TO EVERYTHING...