2014-15 towing's season opener in St-Zénon 13dec2014 photo ride-report

towing

Yep, some of you were waiting for this first report, here it is!

We started our 2014-15 season yesterday December 13. These were early season's conditions for sure, but I was very pleasantly surprised, especially in the Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve. Krikri and I along with our friend Steph started from la Glacière in St-Zenon ... it was time to hit the snow with our new brand new sled! I have not finished to customize It to my taste but here the actual look of our new limousine:

DSC04585_zpsa4840612.jpg

Here is the trail path that we've done:

carte_zpsa2f513b0.jpg

It was about -8 ° C when we start and the trail base was still pretty strong. Here, not far from la Glacière on the #350.

DSC04593_zps109e8351.jpg

We have turned on the #23 in Cabanon direction
DSC04597_zpsffa58fee.jpg

DSC04603_zpsa3980fd9.jpg

The trees were well snow covered

DSC04609_zps91051de7.jpg

DSC04612_zps40dfe2e9.jpg

Creating a quite beautiful scenery

DSC04631_zps9723996a.jpg

DSC04637_zpsb06c8837.jpg

A little before the Cabanon we forked in the Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve in Koubec direction on 345/23. Here the new ride of our buddy Steph
DSCN2548_zps3a8caab8.jpg

And mine in his element
DSCN2546_zpsebdb56ef.jpg

A pictures of my sweet and myself with our new baby!

DSCN2550_zps94c4341a.jpg

The # 345/23 was very nice

DSC04647_zpscddb778f.jpg

The trail base was still hard giving winter conditions, very nice...

DSC04658_zpsbc4699d6.jpg

DSC04667_zps0e07e0f5.jpg

What is seen on top of the table is the amount of snow from the last storm. Snow to the ground is a little more, it just get to under the benches. The snow is compact enough because it was heavy wet snow that has freeze back.

DSC04668_zpsb1f5dc15.jpg

The day was absolutely wonderful: A beautiful sun + winter wonderland

DSC04721_zpsa15bf7d9.jpg

DSC4721a_zpsccc4c137.jpg

We said ourselves: what a chance we have to ride today !!!

DSC04675_zpsebdd1893.jpg

DSC04679_zps1e721b95.jpg

YEAY! :yahoo: YEAY! :yahoo: YEAY! :yahoo: Merci beaucoup for the first ride report!

This gives welcome inspiration to get through the final days on the non-sledding seasons!

Sweet new ride! Wishing you many many très sûre et joyeuse s'miles with her!

Merry/Happy,

This is the beginning of the season and the trails are not very wide on some sections and there are still some branches, we must go careful ...

DSC04698_zps2cc6456b.jpg

DSC04677_zps8a3cc63b.jpg

We arrived right at the fork of the "trail a Gaston" (# 350) where we change of Snowmobile Club and it does not seem groomed further ...

DSC04733_zps39195a4a.jpg

The trail crosses a plowed road at this point and there is wood works. It was not possible to go to Koubec yet.

DSC04732_zps9d0e91c7.jpg

So we turned and retraced our steps. The temperature had risen just below the freezing point and the trail base began to soften and we felt the difference with some kling klangs on the skis…

DSC04753_zps209e1cee.jpg

And went to lunch and fuel-up at Cabanon

DSC04764_zpsa6488ed0.jpg

After a good meal and a great time talking with friends we left and took the #345 north to the bridge of the Mattawin river. The first 4 mils that are not on forest road base were less beautiful, more bumby and rocky.

DSC04768_zpsab9f4718.jpg

But it comes back pretty well and farther on the road reserve

DSC04777_zpsb53c46ba.jpg

We jumped a bit in a curve when we met with the dozer that was coming in front of us! Say we did not have much time to take pictures before crossing it!

DSC04781_zpsd7e594c3.jpg

The trail bases were much softer and skis hung the bottom more often
DSC04783_zps96f8cfbc.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the report Alain super as always.

Wishing you best of luck and many happy KM's with your new ride.

Bonne Randonee

Edited by iceman

Past the old junction to the dam, we felt that we hung the bottom even more often and realized that there was less snow to the ground as we went further north.

DSC04795_zps3b165e88.jpg

Near the bridge was a bit rough and it was late enough, so we took a break there before turning back

DSC04802_zpsb6c54a22.jpg

The return was rather fast to the Cabanon

DSC04815_zps5d9a6e75.jpg

DSC04821_zpsfa08587d.jpg

DSC04822_zps7e5b2966.jpg

we did some skid testing on the last stretch before La Glacière. I still have a few set-up to do, but it already works really well!

We finally returned to our starting point 5:15 p.m. with a beautiful 167 miles on the dreammeter.

DSC04826_zpseace7ac7.jpg

In short it is a nice season’s beginning. Snow cover is still thin and the mild temperatures we had not helped to keep the trail hard all the day, but we are very happy with our ride. The weather is going to be decisive to determine how the conditions will shape up, we need cold and snow for sure. We keep our finger crossed.

The trail network will continue to shape up and with the good snow we have more south I expect to see some trail opening soon on this side. To follow the last trail updates, go there: http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

The season is started, stay tuned for next reports!

Alain

Funny. We're opposite with the spedo/odo. On the most recent Yamahas that I purchased in Quebec, I left them on KM's instead of MI's. It looks cooler on the speed. And I don't have to do math all day to translate the distance on the trail signs!

YEAY! :yahoo: YEAY! :yahoo: YEAY! :yahoo: Merci beaucoup for the first ride report!

This gives welcome inspiration to get through the final days on the non-sledding seasons!

Sweet new ride! Wishing you many many très sûre et joyeuse s'miles with her!

Merry/Happy,

You are welcome Playhard! I hope the new baby to be as tough as our last one...

A great opening report! Looking forward to many more this winter.

Thanks Alain.

Thank you smclelan! more rides and smiles and reports to come for sure

Awesome, thanks for the report Alain super as always.

Wishing you best of luck and many happy KM's with your new ride.

Bonne Randonee

Thank iceman! our new ride succeed to do the first run without falling apart, good sign!!!

Bonne randonnée a toi aussi !

Gorgeous pics. Thx for taking the time to post.

Thank you im4snow!

Funny. We're opposite with the spedo/odo. On the most recent Yamahas that I purchased in Quebec, I left them on KM's instead of MI's. It looks cooler on the speed. And I don't have to do math all day to translate the distance on the trail signs!

Personally i would left it in kms but Krikri stick to having it in miles... it comes from our sledders roots as Polaris owners... we were knowing all trail distances in miles so when we switched to Yamaha we kept the habit... it's like the water temp in the pool: here in Quebec in summer we tell it's 30 out and the water pool is at 90!!!

Alain, Awesome early season trail pictures. I am hoping to get up to do some early season riding ASAP. I will probably wait for another snow to improve the trails even more...but it looks like some areas have a good start to the base. Lets hope for colder temps and snow. Might be some coming Wednesday....but at this time only predicting a small amount. I like your new ride. Very sharp looking sled! Thanks for posting the first ride pictures! Look forward to many more.

Alain, Awesome early season trail pictures. I am hoping to get up to do some early season riding ASAP. I will probably wait for another snow to improve the trails even more...but it looks like some areas have a good start to the base. Lets hope for colder temps and snow. Might be some coming Wednesday....but at this time only predicting a small amount. I like your new ride. Very sharp looking sled! Thanks for posting the first ride pictures! Look forward to many more.

thank you mxz700rider! you got it, forecast have no miracle storms previewed but just few inches few times with a bit of cold can do the trick...We got two years in a row with mega snow drops in december which is fantastik but if we at least have enought snow to give decent conditions it's ok too. It's anyway promising for christmas holidays

Fantastic to see your reports starting up in the new season! Sled looks great.

mike

Thank you Mike rider !

Thanks for sharing. Very envious of you. I can't wait. Very soon for us.

you're welcome nyskidooerinnewhampshire! (what a nick!!) we never really know what to expect when we go up for the first ride... we got a really nice pick this time!!!

Alain,

Congratulations to you and Krikri on your new machine. She is a beauty. We wish you many happy miles and smiles.

It's so nice to see the first ride report. Your pictures really bring us there. Thanks.

Thank you GT rider ! to be honest. I really like the color and the overall look of this sled but this bay windshield is for sure in the top five ugliest windsheild ever built! I had decided to modify it to the Apex style when I bought it but time missing, I left it like that to try it. No surprise that it is the most effective one I ever tried... we had a smoker friend that had a 2009 (same sled) and was smoking while riding behind that( it is not a joke, he really did it!) So I will left it for this winter and after that if I still can't stand it I will go ahead with a modification

Nice sled! That looked like a real " Blue Jay" skies day. Weather doesn't get much better than that!!

Thank you snowfarmer! Yes it is ! I love the factory blue from yam but this one is a real nice one!

:drinks:

Alain

Edited by towing

Alain, thank you for that report, enjoy that new "Blue Jay"

You are welcome Mccafrey, we will enjoy it for sure...

Alain,

Thanks so much for the report! Nothing like them, you do an outstanding job showing and telling us the conditions. Enjoy the new sled and be safe :clapping:

Thank You

You are welcome Pipeman and thanks to you and all the gang for your good words about our reports, it's our reward :drinks:

Alain

Hi Alain and Krikri!

Nice to see that you're back on the snow! And nice new sled too! Thanks for all your efforts and great trail reports!!

Merry Christmas and may 2015 bring you lots of snow and safe trails.

Warm Regards!

Linda

Congratulations on your new ride Alain and KriKri, 'twas a wise choice you made, nice color too. Thanks for sharing your first trail/photo report with us.

I was not sure of the conditions this early in St.Z but your report confirms we'll be riding during the holidays. Yippy.

As always you guys haven't lost your touch and is much appreciated, keep up the good work, looking forward to more of your scouts.

JG

I was waiting all day hoping my team would win and that Alain would post his first report.

Merci beaucoup! Sweet new ride.

You are welcome actionjack! by the way, if all your wishes come true... can you wish us big snow and cold!!!

Hi Alain and Krikri!

Nice to see that you're back on the snow! And nice new sled too! Thanks for all your efforts and great trail reports!!

Merry Christmas and may 2015 bring you lots of snow and safe trails.

Warm Regards!

Linda

You are welcome Linda! Merry Christmas to you too (I can't believe we're already there!!!) and have a great snowy season with great rides and times with friends

Congratulations on your new ride Alain and KriKri, 'twas a wise choice you made, nice color too. Thanks for sharing your first trail/photo report with us.

I was not sure of the conditions this early in St.Z but your report confirms we'll be riding during the holidays. Yippy.

As always you guys haven't lost your touch and is much appreciated, keep up the good work, looking forward to more of your scouts.

JG

Thanks Trailblazer! Was not sure too but at least we are at the beginning, we really need more snow and cold to shape up the thin base... cover seems uneven from what I heard, Notre-Dame de la Merci and Coin Lavigne area had even thinner snow base. I really hope the 6" new snow forecast for wednesday come true at least...

Alain / Krikri:

Good to see the first report, not bad for early season. Love the new blue Yamaha wishing you many safe trouble free miles.

Phil

Thank you Phil! wish you the best luck with your new ride too!