3 Day ride

Trailblazer

Day 1

The 4 of us drove up from Montreal to Shawinagan to meet some friends from NY at the Gouveneur, dropped our sleds there. Beware folks they charged us 57$ for each vehicule to park there for the weekend, we'll have to find another parking spot the next time.

We took the M1(not groomed) out of Shawinagan to the 23(well groomed) to the M3 up the river to the 360, bought some gas in Mekinac aand the up to the pipeline 355 to the 73. We wanted to try the new trail and short cut LT1 but it wasn't groomed and the 355 was really nice so we continued on. The 73 brought us to the 355 once more and up to Lac Edward for lunch. Continued to Lac Bouchette then to the 83 which had been snowed on and a single lane had been packed down for about 80k up to the 373, then into Roberval.

The river Mauricie

More river

The pipeline

The pepiline

Auberge Trappeur nice for a coffee but that's all!

Day 2

Out of Roberval we took the shortcut across the lake to Chambord and then the 83 to the 23 down to L'Etape, these trails were in great shape, the 23 was a highway. Out of L'Etape we took the 369 to the 3 which was mogal city for about 20klms to a local trail which lead us into Sainte Anne de Beaupre for the night. The local trail was groomed to perfection, those local trails are very surprising sometimes.

Chambord

369 south of L'Etape

Same

Day 3

Back on the 3 west and we got lucky, the groomer came in overnight and cleaned out those mogals. Went up the 73 to St.Raymond and had lunch. 73 to the 353-302-351-3 and M1 into Shawinagan, these were the best trails all weekend. Trip logged on 1050klms.

St.Lawrence

The 3

Bridge in Quebec

for Groomer

Shawinagan

Did you sleep at the Gov. Hotel? cause i have many guys who stay there and i have never heard of charging to park there if you stay there one night? I am gonna go down there and tell them they might as well have no trail to there. That is wrong if you sleep there at least one night parking should be free.

Edited by iceman

Did you sleep at the Gov. Hotel? cause i have many guys who stay there and i have never heard of charging to park there if you stay there one night? I am gonna go down there and tell them they might as well have no trail to there. That is wrong if you sleep there at least one night parking should be free.

We did not sleep there Iceman, arrived friday morning and left sunday afternoon. Two nights three days, a little overcharged if you ask me. Our american friends stayed there thursday night and was able to leave their vehicule for the same time period free of charge.

Le Cabanon charged us last year only 10 bucks a night when we did our Reservoir Goiun trip.

Thanks for that tip

I think $57 is pretty salty, but I don't agree with not paying anything. I mean if you stay at least 1 night I feel they should comp it like LeCabanon does but if I am just looking for a secure place to park the truck $10 a day is well worth it to me. :good:

Wow it's a cut throat world out there. The lady serving us at Domaine Lac Eduard heard me mention stopping at the Trappeur and she butt in that they went bankrupt and were closed. Looks to me from your report that not only are they open, they've been improing the place. Pisses me off, I intended to stop in and say hi to them.

CAN YOU STAY OVERNIGHT IN L'ETAPE? WHEN YOU WERE ON 355, DID YOU SEE A TRAIL SIGN THAT GOES EAST ACROSS THE PARK TO L'ETAPE. IT'S NOT ON THE TRAIL MAPS BUT WHEN WE WERE RETURNING TO SHAWINIGAN 2 WEEKS AGO FROM ROBERVIL, WE SAW A SIGN AND BEGINNING OF A NICE TRAIL!

JEFF

1328555295[/url]' post='21239']

Day 1

The 4 of us drove up from Montreal to Shawinagan to meet some friends from NY at the Gouveneur, dropped our sleds there. Beware folks they charged us 57$ for each vehicule to park there for the weekend, we'll have to find another parking spot the next time.

We took the M1(not groomed) out of Shawinagan to the 23(well groomed) to the M3 up the river to the 360, bought some gas in Mekinac aand the up to the pipeline 355 to the 73. We wanted to try the new trail and short cut LT1 but it wasn't groomed and the 355 was really nice so we continued on. The 73 brought us to the 355 once more and up to Lac Edward for lunch. Continued to Lac Bouchette then to the 83 which had been snowed on and a single lane had been packed down for about 80k up to the 373, then into Roberval.

The river Mauricie

More river

The pipeline

The pepiline

Auberge Trappeur nice for a coffee but that's all!

Day 2

Out of Roberval we took the shortcut across the lake to Chambord and then the 83 to the 23 down to L'Etape, these trails were in great shape, the 23 was a highway. Out of L'Etape we took the 369 to the 3 which was mogal city for about 20klms to a local trail which lead us into Sainte Anne de Beaupre for the night. The local trail was groomed to perfection, those local trails are very surprising sometimes.

Chambord

369 south of L'Etape

Same

Day 3

Back on the 3 west and we got lucky, the groomer came in overnight and cleaned out those mogals. Went up the 73 to St.Raymond and had lunch. 73 to the 353-302-351-3 and M1 into Shawinagan, these were the best trails all weekend. Trip logged on 1050klms.

St.Lawrence

The 3

Bridge in Quebec

for Groomer

Shawinagan

Hi trailblazer ,Looks like you guys had a good time , wish I was there nice pics thanks

CrazySnow. !!!!!!

Stayed at the Gouverneur in Shawinigan this past wednesday and friday nights but traveled there by sleds. Wednesday night there were NO other sledders there at all and had the entire courtyard to ourselves. Friday night, only two other sledders in the yard. I have stayed there many times over the years and have nothing but good to say about the place. I did notice that there is no chained in area to park trucks anymore. They just plow right to the end of the parking lot and have 15' tall snow banks there. So basically your in the back lot with all the other vehicles out in the open. I must say it does suck that they charged you that much but a little patronage does go a LONG way in Quebec. I have never had trouble with trails in or out of there. In fact they were pristine while we were there. Paid 65.00 for a killer room and you sure cant beat the amenities or the room there !!

Was a side trail for a few years, they started grooming it of/on a few years ago, and full boat last year. Nice trail if there is good snow. Maybe 20 miles south on 23 out of Le' Tape.

CAN YOU STAY OVERNIGHT IN L'ETAPE? WHEN YOU WERE ON 355, DID YOU SEE A TRAIL SIGN THAT GOES EAST ACROSS THE PARK TO L'ETAPE. IT'S NOT ON THE TRAIL MAPS BUT WHEN WE WERE RETURNING TO SHAWINIGAN 2 WEEKS AGO FROM ROBERVIL, WE SAW A SIGN AND BEGINNING OF A NICE TRAIL!

JEFF

hi trailblazer !!

thank you pour la photo!!

just curious ,where was it ???

groomer !!!

I was only thinking of you when that groomer came by :) , it was at the intersection of 353-302 St.Ubalde

WHO WENT WITH YOU ? I DID NOT SEE MY INVITE ! may be next time....

Myself the 2 Francois's Dan and Mike and Burke from NY, get that sled you just picked up from the US registered and we ride bro.

Wow it's a cut throat world out there. The lady serving us at Domaine Lac Eduard heard me mention stopping at the Trappeur and she butt in that they went bankrupt and were closed. Looks to me from your report that not only are they open, they've been improing the place. Pisses me off, I intended to stop in and say hi to them.

Like i said good for a coffee and maybe a soup, nice place nice guy but continue on to Lac Edward for lunch.

JEFF

There is an Auberge down the street from L'Etape, it's a provincial parc outfit, you were able to stay there in the past but it did not see any signs of operation this year when i passed by. That trail you're talking about was there and groomed when we passed by.

Hi trailblazer ,Looks like you guys had a good time , wish I was there nice pics thanks

CrazySnow. !!!!!!

Wish you could've came Crazysnow, see what you missed. Keep some holidays open for the next 2-3 weeks, i'll pm you later this week when we have our next ride dates nailed down.

Paid 65.00 for a killer room and you sure cant beat the amenities or the room there !!

Those days are over, we wanted to weigh in the cost of a room vs the cost of 2 vehicules parking there for the weekend just in case if the room would've been cheaper. 2 vehicules and trailers for 2 nights and 3 days came to $114.00, room for one night double occupancy $120.00. They know what their doing.

Like i said good for a coffee and maybe a soup, nice place nice guy but continue on to Lac Edward for lunch.

I spent a memorable evening at the Trappeur 2 years ago after Club LaTuque closed the trails subsequent to a severe rainstorm. We had to recon to see if we could get to LSJ from La Tuque so we could ride back to Shawinigan, OR would we have to rent a car in La Tuque and end our trip then.

We were informed that 73-355-83 was better than passable and rode to the Trappeur to prove it. We were leaving at least 4 different times when events conspired to extend our stay.

1 accordian serenade

a group of 14 from NY/NH

1 cracked up Apex we fixed for them

1 destroyed digital camera run over by testing Apex

1 nearly severed thumb by owner's uncle

2 female paramedics (over an hour to arrive - to much fanfare by 18 men)

Last week was my first time back in the area to say hi to warm and genuine people I met along the way in Quebec. Sorry, I didn't hang a left and check for myself and not happy that I was lied to.

We hadn't planned to, but did eat a family style dinner at the Trappeur that night. I would have no reservations eating there again. Only 1 choice but as good or better food than Domaine Lac Eduard. Made and served by people I now have a far higher opinion of, and whose business I would prefer to (and will) patronize.

Bad news: The provincial parc outfit @ L'Etape is closed for the winter, no overnights.

GREAT NEWS: That local east/west trail off of the 355 that starts about 20 miles north of Lac Edouard to just south of L'Etape on the 23 is SWEEEET. I think from gassing with Réjean @ Pourvoirie Le Goéland to the truck stop/gas in L'Etape was like 90 miles. We need to thank Clem @ Marmite relay in Riviere a Pierre for recomending it to us (and for his meatloaf).