Sign in to follow this  
Saguenay Bill

Trail conditions Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean

Recommended Posts

Today was my first day of riding my new 900 ACE Blizzard.  I wanted to ride very local because I wanted to be sure that the items I  installed this summer aren't to close to the exhaust pipe and could cause a fire.  I have 2 fire extinguishers with me just in case.  Everything went well.  Ended up riding 70 miles for the day.  Went to see my friend John at Wajax, a supplier to industrial maufacturers.  He told me he attended a meeting with the land owner who has closed trail 383, from the jct of 368 and the dam.  The land owner is the guy who owns the fenced in area that is 1 to 2 miles in lenght.  He has threatened to close the trail for the past 4 years.  Well this year he did.  Then John told me that the club was going to make a trail off of 368 down to Lac Kenagomi.  The started to cut trees and then found out they were on land they shouldn't have been on and had to quit and paid a fine for cutting trees.  The fenced in land is for sale and a guy has made a bid, sale not finalized yet but the bidder is a snowmobiler so maybe something will come of that.  Then I went up to Spence and they have redone the inside and it looks great.  After lunch at Tim Hortons I went out trail 134.  What a dissappontment,  that trail has become.   Most trails were in very good shape. Suppose to get 6 to 10" of white gold tonight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

134 is the Pickle Park?

GutZ

Yes it is.  The re-route thru the woods and over hill and dale.  No more on the road.

Jack & Sandi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind has blown here all day.  6 guys rode in from Alma, 4 hours to get here 45 miles.  Highways, 70 and 172,  are closed from here to Alma.  Still snowing.  Hard to tell cause it's blowing sideways.  Wild wooly day here in the valley of the wind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had something happen morning that I found hard to believe but it did happen.  6 guys from NH were getting ready to leave for the 4 Points.  They got their sleds started, shut them off to get their bags on and get finished gearing up.  One guy came back in and asked me if I had an extension cord.  I asked why and he said the one sled wouldn't restart and wanted to put a hair dryer in the engine compartment.  As hard as the wind was blowing I suggested that he put it in the garage, which he agreed to do.  The sled that would not start was a Arctic Cat with Yami engine.  The battery would turn it over very well but wouldn't fire.   About a 1/2 hour later he went to garage to try it.  When he hit starter, engine turned it over but no start then a code came up, which didn't before.  He googled code and it said the battery would turn engine over but didn't have enough power to run fuel pump.  He put his booster pack on the battery, hit starter and she fired right up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bet it was the Fuel Pump relay that froze.

They will start the first time but not the second time in the cold. Have to put some heat on the top of the fuse box to warm up the relay. Turn the key on, if you hear fuel pump cycle your good to go, if not more heat. 

Been a lot of people or groups ride been ruined over this simple problem. Yami- Cat would never address or inform people of the problem. Some dealers may have on delivery but not all.

2014 Viper did this on 3 occasions. First time in Val-Dor at -30 C. Dragged it to the dealer and lost a day of riding. Next 2 times hot wash cloth on fuse box and off we went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very very common, we now carry a spare fuel pump relay in my suit pocket, in a pinch just change relay with headlamp relay,all the same. Almost only happens when you start on cold mornings and then shut off to load ect,ect. cat 1100, all vipers and thundercat use same relay as did apex.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kmkm said:

very very common, we now carry a spare fuel pump relay in my suit pocket, in a pinch just change relay with headlamp relay,all the same. Almost only happens when you start on cold mornings and then shut off to load ect,ect. cat 1100, all vipers and thundercat use same relay as did apex.. 

Don’t know the YamiCats well but this was a common issue on any of the Yamaha’s with fuel injection. If you turn the key ‘on’ and don’t hear the pump, don’t bother to turn the key further to crank it: you’ll just drain the battery  

The issue is a badly sealed electro-mechanical relay that gets moisture inside and freezes. It was replaced by a solid-state unit. The solid-state unit can be identified by its red color. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First morning in two days that the wind is not howling.  Maybe I'll get to ride today, no I will ride today.  Road that runs south of hotel, Rue Mathis, was closed for 4 to 5 hours last night.  Cop car was blocking the road.  First time I've heard of roads being closed for 2 days up here.  That was Route170 in St Bruno that was closed for the 2 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Bill!

Time to break in that 900 Ace! I'm sure everyone is anxious to hear how the overall conditions are..! Sounds like you have a good amount of snow on the ground. With all the wind curious to see how the trails are..

I'll be seeing you Monday 1/15! Coming up for the week with 1-2 others! Make sure the Caribou is good and warm... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sidewinder and Apex are will know for this.  Another option if you don't have a garage/hairdryer is to put one of those "hot packs" on the relays (very front on the Sidewinder).  Best thing is, start it and go.  If you start it, warm up, then shut it off, moisture will condense in the relay, freeze and your hosed.  Poor design.  I know you can get the red relays for the Apex.  Does anyone know if you can get sealed fuel pump relays for the Sidewinder?

 

Thanks,

 

Fred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a very interesting day today.  Went out to start my 900 ACE, first time since Thursday.  With the snow and wind we had, it started, ran for 10 secs and stalled.  Took relays out, went inside.  8 Yamaha's in corral.  6 started, two didn't.  The ones that didn't were ridden by two gals.  One gal was taking a back rest off to get at battery.  She told me it needed a boost.  I had offered to put it in garage.  She said it needed boost.  However it was turning over quite well.  With boost it wouldn't fire.  She asked me if the garage offer was still available.  There was a male and other female with her at this point, two of the 6 that had gotten started.  I told them they could use the garage as long as they would tow me, if mine didn't start after warming up relays.  We got the one Yamaha in the garage.  Other one that didn't start was determined to have more wrong with it than what they thought.  They decided to leave it here and come back tomorrow and pick it up on a trailer.  My 900 started so I was fine but the engine was full of snow.  Between 10 and 11 I went to the Trappers pelt selling show, which is an annual think here the first weekend in Jan.  Talked to the Bilodeau folks  Went to the Yamaha in the garage, started and the two gals put the 2 up back rest back on and took off for home, the Charlevoix.

By this time it's about 11:30.  The hotel has their Sunday brunch going on.    Next thing I know the new owner, 1of 3 guys, of the Delta Saguenay comes over and introduces himself to me.  He is a snowmobiler, great news, and tells me he has a Freeride and loves off trail riding.  This guy is no spring chicken, maybe their is hope for me doing the off trail stuff, NOT.   The plans are to build a new indoor swimming pool starting in May he tells me.

Then at 12 noon I decide to go for my ride.  It is starting to snow so I decide a short ride is in order.  I ride down 83 east to the cross country ski place, have lunch and get back a little after 3.  Lots of drifts and the fields are wind swept of snow.  Trails were OK except for the drifts which will be fixed by tomorrow.  Riding alone sucks for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Saguenay Bill said:

Had a very interesting day today.  Went out to start my 900 ACE, first time since Thursday.  With the snow and wind we had, it started, ran for 10 secs and stalled.  Took relays out, went inside.  8 Yamaha's in corral.  6 started, two didn't.  The ones that didn't were ridden by two gals.  One gal was taking a back rest off to get at battery.  She told me it needed a boost.  I had offered to put it in garage.  She said it needed boost.  However it was turning over quite well.  With boost it wouldn't fire.  She asked me if the garage offer was still available.  There was a male and other female with her at this point, two of the 6 that had gotten started.  I told them they could use the garage as long as they would tow me, if mine didn't start after warming up relays.  We got the one Yamaha in the garage.  Other one that didn't start was determined to have more wrong with it than what they thought.  They decided to leave it here and come back tomorrow and pick it up on a trailer.  My 900 started so I was fine but the engine was full of snow.  Between 10 and 11 I went to the Trappers pelt selling show, which is an annual think here the first weekend in Jan.  Talked to the Bilodeau folks  Went to the Yamaha in the garage, started and the two gals put the 2 up back rest back on and took off for home, the Charlevoix.

By this time it's about 11:30.  The hotel has their Sunday brunch going on.    Next thing I know the new owner, 1of 3 guys, of the Delta Saguenay comes over and introduces himself to me.  He is a snowmobiler, great news, and tells me he has a Freeride and loves off trail riding.  This guy is no spring chicken, maybe their is hope for me doing the off trail stuff, NOT.   The plans are to build a new indoor swimming pool starting in May he tells me.

Then at 12 noon I decide to go for my ride.  It is starting to snow so I decide a short ride is in order.  I ride down 83 east to the cross country ski place, have lunch and get back a little after 3.  Lots of drifts and the fields are wind swept of snow.  Trails were OK except for the drifts which will be fixed by tomorrow.  Riding alone sucks for me.  

Bill, Glad to here you like your 900. We have a 900 Enduro here, my wife loves it, but everyone that try’s it, enjoys the amazingly smooth engine and performance .  Regarding the starting issues, we had 2 Yamaha Vipers this morning in Quebec City that would not start. Fuel pump would cycle, both engines would sputter at times  but not start. With our Ski Doo  four strokes you never touch the gas, and these guys had never had issues other than the solenoids sticking sometimes.  Finally we started working the throttle.  If wide open nothing changed, however,  with both sleds, once we cracked the throttle about 1/3, they both fired and stayed running?  Wonder if any other owners have had to do this?  

 

Enjoy your 900, 

 

Happy Trails

RR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Saguenay Bill said:

RR  Ran into a mutual friend on Sat, Yeves, the guide.  Told me after 3 years he will be able to ride with you guys, lol.

Yes, Bill, we have had a great time connecting with Yves, we are looking forward to our trip up to Cote Nord later this year with Yves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scranton1 said:

Any insight on this?

IMG_1609.PNG

Scranton - the website says the trail was closed due to the weather.  Sorry can't remember your first name. We met you guys at the impromptu QR gathering last year in Val D'or.   Doonali Dave Eddie Phil and more I am probably forgetting. That was fun.  Have fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading about the four strokes not running brings back a memory for Dad and I. 2012 or 2013 we left Amos heading east. About 20 or so mile in to the ride i noticed my recoil handle coming out. Sure enough something was broken inside. I knew it wasn't an easy fix. We stopped at a couple different places to try to find tools to do such a project but no luck. Being it was a Sunday the day was shot for sure. (keep in mind every time we stopped i left it running.) No electric start on a 2006 800. We end up in Senetere for the night and going to take it to the dealer in the morning. The next morning it's close to -30F. There are two Yamahas and two ski doos in the lot with us. The Yamahas both wont start. I really felt bad for the guys. I REALLY felt bad when they watched me take my rope from the tool kit and put it around the clutch and start my sled on the first pull!!!  What made it even worse for them was the two Ski doo guys with them would not let up. It was deffinetly funny to listen! Like I said i did really feel bad for the guys. Nobody wants to buy a 12 - 15 thousand dollar machine and have problems. I hate to hear about it but unfortunately it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Je me souviens said:

Scranton - the website says the trail was closed due to the weather.  Sorry can't remember your first name. We met you guys at the impromptu QR gathering last year in Val D'or.   Doonali Dave Eddie Phil and more I am probably forgetting. That was fun.  Have fun

Thanks George

i need to work on my French!

BJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of 8 guys, 6 going to 4 Points and 2 going to St Raymond and got thru.  Also 3 rode from St Ray to the Delta yesterday.  Couldn't have been too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this