2022 Jack & Sandi's Trips

revct1

Hi Jay,

I'm at RDL this week.  We will be going to the Delta Feb 7th for the week.

Going to the Sag is the same as it has been.  When we were there in Dec, the groomer hadn't made a pass at that time.  Before we left, the groomer did come thru and filled in the gullies.  Just follow the signs as in the past.  The trail stops at the Sag.  In past years it used to continue thru the back parking lots to Hotel Montagne.

Have a good ride.   The trails have been great this year and minimal traffic.

Jack & Sandi

• 2 weeks later...

We are back at Lac St Jean.  Sandi and I drove up today.  At the border, I've got everything under control.  A few questions by the agent and at the end of the conversation, he hands us our two "random" covid tests.  Oh, I thought Sandi was going to be my lucky charm.  Wrong!

Thank you to the agent.  I hand the tests to Sandi and tell her "Not a big deal."  I've been here before."

Was it our covid test in Connecticut that was just at the 72 hour mark that triggered the random test or could it be that we were asked "Whom are we meeting in Quebec?"  I answered "A couple of other snowmobilers from the States."  Nay.  It must  be a random test.  I just happen to be the lucky one that got randomized two times in a row.

The rest of the drive was fine.  A little black ice north of L'Etape in a snow squall but that was OK.

So we are at the Delta this trip.  We did the covid test and will leave it at the front desk for Purolator to pick up in the morning.

We are going to be here for the week.  A few other QR people are here but you know that if you have been following the posts.

The Delta doesn't have a lock up for the trucks but there is an area set aside for the sleds.  For you that have been here, behind the Delta and behind the old pool area that we used to park the sleds in, there is a nook  in the parking lot where the hallway is that goes to the mall.  In that nook, the Delta put up a chicken wire enclosure that will fit 30 sleds or so.  Not real secure but better than nothing.  I didn't see a camera anywhere.

So good night to all.

Jack & Sandi

10 hours ago, revct1 said:

We are back at Lac St Jean.  Sandi and I drove up today.  At the border, I've got everything under control.  A few questions by the agent and at the end of the conversation, he hands us our two "random" covid tests.  Oh, I thought Sandi was going to be my lucky charm.  Wrong!

Thank you to the agent.  I hand the tests to Sandi and tell her "Not a big deal."  I've been here before."

Was it our covid test in Connecticut that was just at the 72 hour mark that triggered the random test or could it be that we were asked "Whom are we meeting in Quebec?"  I answered "A couple of other snowmobilers from the States."  Nay.  It must  be a random test.  I just happen to be the lucky one that got randomized two times in a row.

The rest of the drive was fine.  A little black ice north of L'Etape in a snow squall but that was OK.

So we are at the Delta this trip.  We did the covid test and will leave it at the front desk for Purolator to pick up in the morning.

We are going to be here for the week.  A few other QR people are here but you know that if you have been following the posts.

The Delta doesn't have a lock up for the trucks but there is an area set aside for the sleds.  For you that have been here, behind the Delta and behind the old pool area that we used to park the sleds in, there is a nook  in the parking lot where the hallway is that goes to the mall.  In that nook, the Delta put up a chicken wire enclosure that will fit 30 sleds or so.  Not real secure but better than nothing.  I didn't see a camera anywhere.

So good night to all.

Jack & Sandi

Great to finally see you again Jack , I did ask Oliver (delta manager) if the coral had cctv and he said yes it had. 

1 hour ago, SnomoGary said:

Great to finally see you again Jack , I did ask Oliver (delta manager) if the coral had cctv and he said yes it had. 

Thanks.  Its nice to know there is a camera on the enclosure.  I didn't see one but the cameras aren't very big.

Jack

I can't get the groomer part of the map to open up.  The map and trails are showing but the groomer option under the snowflake isn't there.  We will just have to wing it today.

Boy is it warm this morning,-6C.  After being at RDL with temperatures -20C -25C, this feels like spring time.

OK Sandi, let's go across the two dams and see what looks good.  Off we go along with Joe JAK.  The trail is good so far.  The dams are bumpy but that is expected.  The groomer isn't going to fit here.  After the second dam, Sandi goes to the left on 367.  Nice.

Sandi is moving right along.  I guess the suspension changes Joe and I made last trip she is liking.  A little lean in the corners and off she is in the straights.  OK, no sleeping today.  Thru the scrubby pines and we are at Le Geant Trailer.

Sandi stops at the junction with 93 to the left and 367 and 93 straight ahead at St Ambroise.  I get off my sled and walk up to Sandi to see which way she wants to go.  She gives me a big hug and says "I like the sled!  It handles better than the previous one did and that one was great."  That was unexpected and nice.

Both ways were groomed.  We are heading towards the old Scooby Raid so, let's go straight.  I don't have to tell Sandi twice.  Up 93 and the first long straight is open but the section going thru the field with the big irrigation wheels is closed.  The detour is off to our right and it makes a big loop around the field and we end up just before the junction with 328 that goes to begin.  Sandi stays straight on 367.

With a little powder on the trail, Sandi is on her way and Joe and I are in the snow dust.  As we get further up 367, there has been some logging going on.  The trail is easy enough to follow.  Just after the junction with the trail that goes to Lamarche, 367 crosses the road.  about a 1/4 mile in, detour.  The new trail turns right.  This is where it ran a few years back.  Down along the side of the road.  Another change.  Hmm?  The trail used to turn left and go up a very steep incline.  Now it stays straight and drops down on Lac Tchitogama.  Interesting.  Staked but not groomed obviously.  The trail runs the lac for awhile and then pops up at Scooby Raid which is now called Otis Nature.

Now you see why I haven't purchased a smart phone before.  I don't know which way is up!

Sandi not standing on her head.

One picture good and one not so good.

There is only one other sled in the parking lot.  It is so quiet in Quebec this year.  Inside and we have a light lunch.  The relais is pretty much the same as it was.  One of the waitresses is still there.  Sorry, I don't know her name but she remembered us. I'm hoping that is a good thing! 🙄

(To be continued.  Time to eat...)

Jack & Sandi

Otis Nature Sandi.jpg

Otis Nature sign.JPG

Edited by revct1
Add pictures

(Continuation)

I'll work on the pics later.

You're right Joe.  Just before the turn off to Lamarche, there is a long downhill.  There must be eight sleds coming up the hill towards us and they are taking up more than their share of the trail.  Sandi pulls over to the edge of the trail and oh oh!  I'm too close to stop in time.  I can't go to her left so I dive right off the side of the trail.  Just as I stop, I see Joe's ski tips come up along the left side of me behind Sandi.  Just enough room.

After the sleds go by, Sandi continues down the hill.  I start moving and the sled slides off into the puff.  A little throttle.  Come on Renegade.  You can do it.  Don't dig a hole.  The sled just barely climbs back up over the berm and onto the trail.  Good sled.

Then lunch.

After lunch, we are on the sleds and continuing on 367 towards L'Ascension.  This trail is one of my favorites.  Pretty straight, wide, a few rollers and lots of snow dust.  Keep going Sandi.  We are having fun.  Past the dump and across a couple of roads we are at Relais Jos Bonka.  Another name change here.  It is now called Evasion Peribonka.  We pull out of the parking lot and just as we enter the woods, there is a four way intersection.  Hmm?  To our left are a few tracks and that is not groomed.  Straight ahead was groomed a few days ago but no signs.  To our right it is signed for St Monique.  Lets take the trail towards St Monique the sure thing.

This is new. The trail runs right along the side of the road for a few miles.  We come to where the trail crosses the road to the right and there is the long straightaway.  Now I remember this.  It is the trail that goes to St Monique.  Maybe the trail back at Evasion Peribonka that went straight was the one to L'Acension?

We get to 93 and have plenty of fuel still.  Turn left Sandi and head towards St Henri.  A little frozen mist on the shield.  Oh this isn't fun.  No one likes freezing rain.  Scrape scrape.  Oh I can't see to good.  Sandi has slowed down and is more middle of the trail.  I'm staying near the right curb like always but can only see the red stakes ahead.  Oops!  I'm off in the soft stuff.  I guess I got a little too far right.  Come on Renegade.  Keep going.  I'm still iced over on the shield but there shouldn't be any obstacles out here.  We are in a big field.  There back on the trail.  For the next hour we are in freezing rain.  Slow going and a lot of stops to clean our shields.

We get to St Charles and do we take the new 93 back to St Ambroise or?  Sandi, go ahead down to St Charles and see what the old river crossing looks like.  The warning ferme signs are always up at the river crossing but it has been cold and there are tracks on the river.  I go first and aim for the other side where I think the trail continues.  No stakes to follow.  Just tracks scattered all over.  We get to the other side and we hit the right spot.  Up the bank and a sharp right turn.  Follow the goat path for a short ways and yes, groomer marks.

I run along in the lead until we get on 383 and then Sandi takes over.  383 is very nice and better than that, the freezing rain has turned to snow.  Yea!  Sandi picks up speed and we are back at the Delta in no time.

A good ride today other than the freezing rain.  It was mild and is forecast to be mild for the next few days.  The trails were a little soft from the warmth.  Until later -

Jack & Sandi

There is something strange going on with pictures, I'm trying to figure it out...

I think the problem has to do with "inserting" the pic after you upload it. If you just upload the pics [and don't click insert], that might work fine for now, but they will all just show up at the bottom of the post.

Thank you.

I did insert when I first created the post and the pictures were fine.  I went back into the thread later and that is when I saw that the link had replaced the pics.

Jack

Edited by revct1

7 hours ago, scorpionbowl said:

I think the problem has to do with "inserting" the pic after you upload it. If you just upload the pics [and don't click insert], that might work fine for now

That is how i do it or it posts as a link

if you go back to edit a post then it changes photos to links as well

Its another warm one this morning.  A lot of trails were groomed last night.  How about Mt Apica?  We haven't been there yet.

On the sleds and trail 83 it is.  The snow is soft today.  Groomed but soft.  A few tracks ahead of us.  Lac Kenogami has been staked.  Up and over the mountain.  As we get to 23, we see four sleds heading south on 23.  Time for a stretch.

Sandi turns left and we are on our way.  Groomed but a little choppy in the corners.  23 gets a lot of traffic.  There is a new fence right next to the trail to keep the animals off of the highway here.  Further along there is logging going on and there are logging trucks.  Be careful Sandi.

23 is clicking away.  A sled parked on the side of the trail.  Looks like he is adjusting his helmet or something.  Sandi goes by him and then I do.  He then pulls out in front of Joe.  A half a mile down the trail, Sandi catches up to three other sleds.

Ah ha.  The guy behind  me is part of the three in front of us.  We aren't that far from Apica.  If he wants to pass, he has opportunities but he is staying behind me.  Now we are a group of seven.  We pull into Apica and he pulls up and joins the other three.

Six other sleds just pulling out heading south.  We pull in and park.  Time for lunch.  It feels good to be able to sit at lunchtime and relax for thirty minutes.  So much better than having to eat outside!  😋

After lunch we are on the sleds and heading back up 23.  Why is this side so much smoother?  Keep going Sandi this is fine.  A lot of sleds heading south now.  We go by the 368 junction.  We go by the 83 junction that we came out of this morning and we are at Presbytiere.  There is the big John Deere groomer.  A little smile on my face as we go by.

Oh!  The trail doesn't cross the road and drop down on the lake.  It wraps around the building and goes back up into the woods.  This was cut this year by the looks of it.  The trees are pushed out of the way and a bulldozer has been in here earlier making the trail.  Pretty steep as we go back in.  Up and around.  A mile or so in and I think we are on an old trail.  None of this is familiar.  Finally this new trail ends up in the field across from the gas station in Hebertville.  Time to fill up the sleds.

Sandi keeps heading up 23.  We get to the intersection on 383 and turn right.  Easy sailing here.  We get to Relais Grenouille and there are a lot of sleds here.  Looks like a typical day at the Green Frog.

We drop back down on Lac Kenogami and at the other side we get behind two sleds.  They pull up to the intersection with 83 and 383 and wave us on.  Thanks but Sandi turns left on 383.  I think 83 is going to be rougher so we decided on 383.  This is nice.

Sandi is rolling along.  A few sleds coming the other way.  The sun is out and we are cruising.  There is the turn off for St Charles.  We stay on 383.  Not too much longer and we are home.

Another nice day in Quebec.  The trails are so good.  We need to hit the lottery Sandi and stay up here for ten weeks or more.  ☺️

Be safe everyone.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Mike,

The restaurant at the Delta is Boston Pizza.  Same as it has been the past few years.  The restaurant is open now.  Maybe to half capacity?  The hotel isn't full so the restaurant only has a few tables occupied.  We ate supper the first night in there.  Same type of menu as in the past.  Nothing fancy.

In the morning there is a small cook station in the corner of the old front restaurant.  The chef cooks your order in front of you.  This maybe a limited breakfast menu.  Breakfast is good.

Gary and Pat arrived safely and are here.  They are still getting the Cats from Evasion.  They have been using Evasion forever and are really pleased with the service.

Are you planning any Quebec trips or staying in Maine for this season?  RDL is missing its Mayor.  ☺️

Warm here again this morning, 28F.  Forecast is for a little light snow today.

Jack & Sandi

Edited by revct1
Typo

Hi Jack,

I will keep riding out of my temporary home in Millinocket, Maine until Canada returns to full normalcy.  Been very happy here, good trails and been a good snow season. I still miss RDL. Quite a few QueberRiders coming to Millinocket to start their Maine saddlebag trips.

Say hi to Pat and Gary for me.

Enjoying reading your posts!

mike

12 hours ago, mikerider said:

Jack, how's the restaurant situation at the Delta, still an outside company running it?

Is Gary and his wife there? She still renting a Cat?

Hi Mike we're  both on cat's this year the 2022 yam didn't get delivered , I've got 600 sno Pro and pat is riding the owner's own 600 with on the fly suspension. Apart from slight vibration through the  handbars  (two stroke) buzz lol  great sleds definitely alot lighter lol......  yer Boston pizza are running the restaurant,   breakfast is collection from a counter not off a menu..  hope your all good. 

Be safe   .

Hi Gary.   

All is good, glad you are out enjoying the snow. I still take credit for getting Pat on a Cat lol. Must seem strange not having 30 of us in the Delta lobby having late afternoon happy hour and drinking caribou.