Team Iceman Running Free

iceman

1 hour ago, iceman said:

243 miles in at 4:10

MapShare / inReach mighty handy if any armchair riders needed to know where to send a pizza or whatever!...

1 hour ago, iceman said:

my Eyes are a year older

Well put. Poetic. And TOTALLY beats the alternative!

Screenshot_20230202_191044_Chrome.jpg

Nice report guys. Glad you are having a good time. Funny, the older eyes dont like the cloudy days out on the trail. We talked with Daniel at Onachaway before Christmas, seems he has sold the place to a local guy and is staying on this year to help out. He has done a great job!!!. Keep on rolling.

28 minutes ago, 800steve said:

Nice report guys. Glad you are having a good time. Funny, the older eyes dont like the cloudy days out on the trail. We talked with Daniel at Onachaway before Christmas, seems he has sold the place to a local guy and is staying on this year to help out. He has done a great job!!!. Keep on rolling.

Yes met Carl (i think) nice guy Daniel was right beside him.

3 Feb

The wind howled all night last night. We were on a delayed departure as we had planned. We did discuss the temperature and had positioned ourselves accordingly. Heading back to Auberge Eva tonight to reclaim cabin 6 and try to get in the heated garage. 

Leaving Dolbeau we knew straight shot to Lac Bouchette was the easy choice, i think it was less than 60 miles. 

I did double up socks today and had thin layer on up and down and my heavier Hypnose under garments both. Finished with a polar fleece. 

The key is to not mess around. When it’s this cold. We just can’t help but mess around. 

Was -31c before wind. 

The 900 ace fired right up

Apex plugged in started right up (i was shocked)

850 Freeride was a tough pull at first but fired right off. 

In this temp you cannot fool around with no gloves. Keep hands covered once you lose the hands to cold hard to get em back. 

10am we go. Out hotel on local to rejoin TQ93. It became evident quickly that drifting snow would be an issue. We grab local orange trail to get back across to northwest side of lake. Everywhere its open is drifted up bad. Little ones, big ones, tall ones and short ones. No rhyme to it. Flat light making it tough to read them. Slow going. They are pretty solid these drfts no poof. When you hit one you know it. 

We make it across we decide we are not cold so we will go longer. So joing the local headed toward Normandin now we cross tracks and head back through Chute d’ours

camping and back to TQ93. Today its left on TQ93 and more drifts everywhere getting tired of this. Right turn on Local orange direction Du Chef in woods protected trail is beautiful. In open is drifting bad simple as that. Through chef lot continue orange trail toward TQ93 and La Dore. By the Blueberry farm before 93 I guessed wrong on a bigger drift kicked me left into the fluffy deep. I was still enough on top that a few ski pulls got it back. My bad. 

TQ93 now to La Dore some logging was going on here and trail is along side the usual trail that is now logging truck road. We beat out to La Dore. Gas up and continue down to 373 and on to planned warm up stop at Relais Buttes. 

More after…..

30 minutes ago, skidoo420 said:

Good to finally meet the ice man and crew very cold for most but not for us short ride but a lot of fun at Lac A Jim to night  Look at this delicious Fondue chicken and beef 

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_02/3597A12C-2BCC-439E-93A4-30FDF14B952F.thumb.jpeg.2ae0b4eae252d4dc654dd6717d0121d5.jpeg

Hell yes, super great meeting you both. At the micro Quebec rider gathering.

Lac Jim looking like a home run. Enjoy your ride. Cannot wait to catch up again 

we have hours of stories to tell

Two lone sleds outside the Relais Buttes. I see no Quebec plates as it’s usually the first thing i check. Then i see one has a Quebecrider.com sticker. I knew we were going to meet new friends. In we go and i said i see a QR sticker out there. We quickly make our initial introductions and spend the next almost 2 hours talking. So great to put some faces to screen names. skidoo420 and poltodoo

We had a great time hanging out and then it was time to go our seperate ways. We have about 60 miles to go. 2pm we leave. 

I went over the options. 373 to TQ83 to 355 shortest direct route. 

373 to local orange trail to TQ83 then 355 longer for sure but maybe less drifts?

I go with shortest distance between 2 points.. first option. 

Very drifted. Wind still blowing here. Tough slow go through fiekds down to Roberval. Giant drift righ after Chateau Roberval. 3-4 sleds here at drift as they are headed up and it was like a wall 5-6 feet tall. Lucky they were there the way it looked I probably would have been in trouble there. 

Saw 4 more sleds on TQ83 headed up. On trail saw 8 others 2 groups of 4. 355 now everything in woods is beautiful and fast. Arrive at Lac Bouchette back at Auberge Eva. Get cabin key and garage key. Drop bags go to gas station then back to garage. 

People need some serious lessons on parking because the cluster F**k going on in this garage is just that. We could have moved everyone and all fit in but. Priority went to the Apex we got no outside plug to juice up the coolant heater at the cabin. So need that place in garage. Kind of rude to park the way these folks did bur welcome to today’s world. 

Super dinner and all tucked in here at the cabin. 

Short day planned tomorrow with another late departure after breakfast. 

Off to Windigo Saturday night is smoked meat and chicken wings. Oh yes. Only place i booked before we left. 

Bonne Nuit

EF5FB3A9-66EC-4DF4-B06E-7217BB70C894.png

4 February 

Beautiful morning in Lac Bouchette. A great stay at Auberge Eva. Had late breakfast then layered up and loaded up. Still a brish minus 30c or so this am. But it felt warmer to me with the big sunshine. First few KM’s out on 355 i was sweating thinking i should have ditched that polar fleece. I will deal with it here. We go until the first junction with a local trail. Admittedly i knew nothing about this trail and am not sure if it is new this year but i think i saw it last year on other end on TQ83 but did not give it much thought. Got the tip from the duo of skidoo420 and poltodoo at relais Buttes yesterday. Thanks for the intel. Anyway hard left off 355 onto local. Very sweet trail for a good bit. Then through some logging ops. Lucky it is the weekend and nobody working. Also the snow squalls and blown in snow had the roads covered, but it’s a weekend. For sure come monday plowed and sanded (some of it). We leave the logging area after several km then it opens back up to nice winding but fast trail. Right to the TQ83.  I will put a map. 

Here my gos had shut off so I don’t have the exact track but it goes where the red line is. Obviously not straight shot (just to show where)

EEC3471C-B11F-4556-A023-F8F08D0389E9.jpeg

TQ83 is beautiful today. Some blown in spots but really very spectacular. I have fond memories of this trail from last March and not sure that day can be beat as that day it was immaculately groomed end to end white asphalt. Some fluff right as everyone is riding the middle (SHOCKER). I am doing what i can to widen it out. So far no sleds. First warming hut empty no takers. I have cooled off now glad i did not striop off that fleece earlier. We continue on super trail. Next hut has 4-5 sleds. First we seen today. No stop we roll by. Just a bit further first oncoming traffic, i think i scared the guy as he was riding like most sadly, safety in the middle. They are 3 wait no here comes a fourth he is giving me the fist i notice and his 5th rider is right behind him. Seems to work this hand signal action, brava. Cruise on down to hut by bridge here we stop. Take a few minutes to stretch and take some heat inside. The group from other hut arrives but rolls on. Waited a bit then off like a prom dress for Relais 22. Beautiful run all tge way. Pull in and wait our turn behind the other group for gas. Not too many sleds for a Saturday but a few. We go on in. Christine looks at me right away, she knows me but is not sure at first then says you’re iceman…we both laugh and it’s nice to see her again. Got settled in had beef noodle soup and a poutine with pulled pork which was damn good. Times up we are ready to get this banged out fast rip and done for today. As we are paying she asks where you staying tonight. I feel bad she asks us every time and answer is Windigo. I love repeat love the hospitality and food and yes most importantly the gas pumps. However the sleeping arrangements just not for me. To each their own right? Or is that not allowed?

I screw up right out the gate. The one marked 83 west Abitibi.

At first it did not occur to me but then it clicked. I saw the Pont Ferme sign.

Trail was destroyed whoops here they is, whoops here they is. I zoom out the GPS and i see it. 

Pretty sure it was markusvt and dooright aka Team Vermont. They posted about this that 83 arrives on 73 south of 22. 

Not turning back i can be stubborn that way. We bang through it. I see the TQ83 ahead we will join with it  We jump on actual trail its mint. C-ya. Next stop Windigo way. Smooth sail 40km to the door. 

Happy to see Martine, Daniel and Stefanie. 

I get set up near a plug for my sled in the morning. Daniel says back it in the shed and close it up. Ok sir. Merci Beaucoup. 

Full house tonight plus the chalet. Smoked meat and Chicken wings with chocolate mousse cake dessert…..yes please. 

All is good in the hood. 

83 west tomorrow.

D120E16A-4D89-41F3-942C-63012EE4B918.jpeg

0CFFB63F-B5E1-4BE3-ADB4-1CBEDA57A3CF.jpeg

2A121C82-EA8A-475E-B336-7CF1DFA133E3.jpeg

1B1A88B1-28E1-4C4A-9148-1AE9CF21F223.jpeg

Pretty sure it was markusvt and dooright aka Team Vermont. They posted about this that 83 arrives on 73 south of 22. 

Yes , As you found it is passable the old way    The bridge is just not safe for the weight of a groomer 

Cheers,  and say hi to the gang for us !! 

8 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

That’s some funny shit right there. 

On a serious note I hope you boys are not heading west and then south. I see it’s fresh groomed to Wemo which is good. But after that the 83 and 345 is gonna suck. Alliance du Nord is doing just as shitty of a job over that way as they did last year. There has been no grooming from Parent heading east for 11 days now. The 83 sucked last week up there and the 345 north of Casey was like a motor cross track. I’m sure it’s pure hell by now.