Spring Break in Gaspesie

Mrs.Ice

Day 1 Friday Feb 24

Went to teach my only two periods that morning, how lucky was I that this day ended up being the Friday before spring break, an early start for me. 

Don and I had discussed a lot about where to go during my spring break but ... I have a little something in my heart for Gaspesie. 
So we left home with the trailer around 1:30 pm to get to Matane by 7:00 pm. 

Day 2 Sat Feb 25

We left Matane to go to Redemption and all around. Actually, the real goal was to get to see the mummies, which I finally did. Yeah! See pictures. It was beautiful and colder at the top up there. Lover took the time to replace his stickers that discolored over the years. 

Yes I'm riding, but I'm also sightseeing. There is so much to admire in nature. My tour was organized to take our time so I get to enjoy it and relax as well. I'm not into the 300-400 km a day kind of thing. It's not fun for me. I can do it but I'm not interested. 

But here is the real info you're looking for, we left on the 5 from Matane, then we took an orange local trail to join 587. That's where the mummies were! Then we left 587 to 591 to get to 5 back to Matane for the night. Trails were beautiful everywhere we went. 

Day 3 Sun Feb 26

This morning we had quite a pleasant surprise, we met Jim & Gemma at breakfast. It was so nice to meet you! Enjoy your ride! Hope we'll meet again.
We left Matane and headed to Mont St-Pierre on the 5 all day. There was rough bumpy trail near Cap Chat all the way near La Martre. 

Lots of ups and downs (remember I dislike that) and twisty trails, more work for me. But when I hear; ''good job Petunia'' I know I'm doing all right. Also we upgraded my training, because I was in front a lot for the last two days. It's totally different, I'm the one calling out the things on the trails, the first one meeting another sled, etc. 

Pierre Columbe here in MSP has secured a groomer. He has backing of Tourism Committee here in MSP and plan is to open sections of old TQ5 to other lookouts here in MSP that were lost when trail changed. 

Working hard on putting together a trail from MSP to La Cache. Now that is interesting. 

6 minutes ago, iceman said:

Pierre Columbe here in MSP has secured a groomer. He has backing of Tourism Committee here in MSP and plan is to open sections of old TQ5 to other lookouts here in MSP that were lost when trail changed. 

Working hard on putting together a trail from MSP to La Cache. Now that is interesting. 

Pierre is The Man!  One of a kind. Dedicated. Hard working. Loyal. 

C2AA0EB2-DF17-4F69-A9E7-56F0354255D2.jpeg

Day 4 Mond Feb 27 

Monday was a rough day for me, since the one and only lover who calls me Petunia, sweet pea, sweet heart, sunshine, lover, mon amour, honey, Caro, Caroline (that's it you got them all 😂decided to sing his high pitch song all night long. Unfortunetly I didn't get my well needed beauty sleep. So my driving skills weren't as sharp as I like them. 

However we made it to Gaspé safe and sound. 
We were leaving Mont St-Pierre heading to Gaspé. We took the only trail to get there, you know, #5. 

I want to thank Julie and Patrick at the Delice. They are really nice people. 

The trail condition was excellent the whole day. Again lots of  twists and turns and ups and downs like the day before. I'm working on getting my throttle thumb on point when I get downhill. Sometimes I got it, other times not at all. Work in progress I guess. 
However, again some spectacular views with a big bright sun for amazing pictures on top of Mont St-Pierre and all around. 

Bad timing at the gas in Mont St-Louis, we picked the wrong one... Had to backtrack to the first gas station since the second one which is off the trail by 6 km had no gas when we went. The clerk was waiting for his gas delivery. 

We also came across a nice relais from Club du Rapide Blanc. I'm always happy to see a place where I can use an indoor restroom. You might not realize it, but for us, ladies, it's different! 😏Although, If I gotta go, and it needs to be on the trail so be it, just not my first choice. 

I had a candy bar lunch in the gas station at Riviere Renard because most places are closed on Mondays. 

In Gaspé we stayed at Motel Adams now called Rodeway Inn. Seems to be a lot of black top to get to the hotel, but at least I got wheels! Automatic ones, lover puts them down for me.
10/10 for bed comfort, squishy pillowsss and comforter. The St-Hubert in the hotel parking lot was closed (supposed to open today) but in a walking distance there is also Maestro pizza, Dixie Lee, a pub and Tim Hortons which we had for breakfast. 

Let me tell you that it was an early night for me to catch up on my sleep. Took two of my Pure rest pills and 8:30 I was ready for bed. 

Day 5 Tues Feb 28

You have no idea what a great night sleep can do to you. I'm ready for my day!!! 💪🏼

There were lots of sleds at Motel Rodeway last night. We walked next door for a breakfast at Tim Hortons. 

Off we went on the 5 to 597. The trails were smooth and I enjoyed riding the white highways. We stopped and discussed about going to the Perce rock, but decided to skip it. I've been there in the summer already. 
We continued on  and decided to stop to have a quick lunch at the snowmobile club instead of into town to encourage the relais in La Grande Riviere. The vegetables cream was unbelievable! 
I  like all the bridges, not always easy to go on and off them, like that one today was very icy to get on. Lover told me that with all the bridges they don't worry about the rivers being frozen or not which is a good point. They also need those bridges for the ATV in the summer, so win win! 

I truly enjoy the fast ride on the 597, it was both our first time on this new section since it was modified. Don said  it's much more open and wider than the previous trail. 
We saw two coyotes... at first I said, Oh look a dog! 😂😂 My first thought since we had seen people walking with their dogs on snowmobile trails before... not the best place but you know how it is. Yesterday and today we saw someone cross country skiing on the trail, I guess you never know what you'll see. 

In my trip so far I've seen a mouse, an American marten, deer and two coyotes today.