2024 Rivière-du-Loup trail conditions

Padragon800

Thanks everyone.

I'm almost there on the  warmer problem after playing with it on today's ride.

I have 5 buttons on the handlebar.

1 . T (believe trip reset      2. start           3. hi beam        4. WARMERS (one button to control thumb and Hand)       5. MODE

There are two buttons to the left of the gauge:

1. MODE  (seems to be same menu as mode on handlebars      2. Trip   (gets me in time, temp, engine hours, Steven's bank account etc).

So I hit MODE several times until I get to   'Settings" screen.  Then I hold MODE button in for a few seconds and up comes THUMB CFG.  I hold MODE button down a few seconds and now I can use Warmer button on handlebars and change the thumb warmer to where I want it ( thumb 2 bars less than hands).  Drive away and try it, Yes you can adjust warmers on the fly  but one button adjusts hand and thumb together),  ONLY TO FIND my new setting did not take, I am back to bar and thumb warmer at same lever, not two bars difference like I wanted. I tried a few more times, trying to get the new settings to stay. After making new settings, I tried holding in mode button,  drove off and still bars and thumb aren't at new settings. Also after setting, tried holding handlebar warmer setting button in for sever seconds. no dice.  Seems like there needs to be one more thing  or step to do to get my changes ACCEPTED.      

Another idiot thing about the warmers.  You hit the warmer button on the handlebars and you can only lower the temp of the bars and thumb.. Once all the bars on the gauge disappear, it then goes to full hot and you scroll down to what you want. That is what you go thru to increase the temp.

Jack,   Sandi's MXZ   X   probably has a different gauge, though I have heard its somewhat on the same foolishness. I have the MXZ Adrenaline.

Hi Mark,   Trails were mostly excellent,  lot more traffic but nothing like a normal winter.  Some track spinning in some places brought up a little gravel in a few places but overall really great conditions.   3 or 4 inches of fluff overnight just in town and maybe 10 miles south. Lots of flurries all day.  New sled goes really nice. Quiet for a two stroke, G5 chassis has lots of sound insulation.  Engine pulls very strong.  Sled pushes a little in the corners if top layer of snow is soft. When the Doo 6 inch carbs wear out  I have Shaper bars ready to install which should help a lot. The 2 stroke has a taller narrower seat that I am liking, very soft and cushy.  Sips oil,  believe I am getting at least 18 miles a gallon.  Trails very smooth but suspension seems very good.

When you coming up?   Old bar at hotel is almost empty every night. New bar in restaurant really great, but no room for friends to stand next to you and talk. Food much improved. I'm betting next project will be a redo of the old bar.

Hope to see you soon.

mike

We are there for 3-4 days Feb 6 and again March 5th. Save me a seat Mike ! We can’t wait.

Lisa tries her new Riot 9000 this week in Rangeley. Also added EPS to my sled. Look forward to getting out there.

SnoDeo is a social deal for us with a little riding but enough to make sure everything works and my helmet still fits. Haha

Trails again just awesome  Very, very low traffic for a Sunday.  Only complaint is some dirt plowed roads have some gravel mixed in that the plow pulled up. I was wrong about Explorateur Club (one arch), it is open this winter. 

Haven't yet been out to the farther reaches from RDL like Rimuski, Squatec, and St. PaImphile.  3 days and 450 miles, friends start arriving tonight, much bigger miles ahead.

Eastmark,     It is always a delight to have you up here.  If I am still the mayor, you and Lisa are Mr. and Mrs. Universel.

Hope to see Big Lake and crew over the next few days.

mike

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2024_01/DSCF0019.thumb.JPG.d660599d88f80e9fa6aa3c40750ab08d.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

Edited by mikerider

Hey folks,

Boots on the ground in RDL. Got checked in and all parked, took a 50 mile burn to stretch the legs this afternoon. Snow cover is low-ish, but extremely enjoyable. You’ll click the skis a few times getting out of town, but once past the Adventurers you’re pretty well set. Ran down 85, up 544 to 44 back to 85. Tomorrow we will run down through Cabano and over to Pohenegamook. 

The Universel is a ghost town. There’s nobody here. Now’s the time to make the run if you can. Saw mikerider a few moments ago, I think he’s had the whole place to himself…the hotel and the trails!

On another side, two of us are running the new CKX Mission helmets now. Both of us came out of Oxygens after hearing rave reviews from others we know. This helmet is all that! It’s not as quiet as the Oxygen, but it’s so much lighter, no fogging issues at all and I can turn my head without turning my body while it’s on!

New to me this year is a 2023 Renegade XRS 900R with SmartShox. Another game changer. Came off a 2021 XRS 900T with QAS that is still a fantastic ride. I’m pretty well sold after our short run, but we will put some saddle time in tomorrow and see how things pan out.

Rode to Rimouski and back today with PADragon and his dad.  Tried to use as many orange and green trails as possible over and back, and they were fantastic. Even trail 5 great. Lunch at Tim H as nothing else open. Winds late afternoon were unreal. Watch for trees down tomorrow.

Hoping to hear Big Lake's report on Cabano.

Good evening,

We landed back about 4PM as a run to the dealer was needed for one of our crew. New Klim gear courtesy of some cash spent at Jean Morneau in RDL. Always great folks.

Ran through Cabano down to Temiscouata this morning. 85 was aces. 563 has some whippets but is quite nice otherwise. Clicking once in a while but again, no issues. You could see the snowpack decreasing slightly in there. Hooked up with 35 headed toward Sully, there’s a spot of probably 4-5 miles of ungroomed material halfway between Sully and the 563/35 intersection. It’s very rough. 1.4-2’ wumps with the occasional rogue wave thrown in. The SmartShox are a complete game changer. That XRS ate it up at 60+ kmh without breaking a sweat. The sled just doesn’t move. You see one coming you think is going to hurt, and it just glides over?

Anyway, got gas at the Irving on the way down to the village of Pohenegamook. That guy keeps a great store. Had lunch at Auberge de Frontieres. They were just finishing up staking the lake when we finished our lunch. There are some slushy spots for sure, and the staked route is further west on the lake than last year. Good crossing. Made it up to the cross overlook. 526 was great, orange trail 40 is stellar, 546 to 85 to the hotel. Nice day. Highly recommend. Headed for Jasmin tomorrow.

Great reporting Mark!   Remind me, where is Jasmin?

I forgot to mention we stopped at the club house on the power line just before Rimouski. They were closed. But they turned part of the club house into a Refuge for when they are not open. The big room is partly partitoned off with metal locking curtains and has a separate entrance. It stays unlocked, is toasty warm, tables and chairs for about 30 people and vending machines for coffee etc.   Really well done.

9 hours ago, mikerider said:

Great reporting Mark!   Remind me, where is Jasmin?

I forgot to mention we stopped at the club house on the power line just before Rimouski. They were closed. But they turned part of the club house into a Refuge for when they are not open. The big room is partly partitoned off with metal locking curtains and has a separate entrance. It stays unlocked, is toasty warm, tables and chairs for about 30 people and vending machines for coffee etc.   Really well done.

Jasmin is Tourville. We were going to go that way until we found out that baby is closed on Tuesdays as well. We will take a long cut and end up at Hiboux tomorrow for lunch. Their FB page says they’re open seven days a week now. 

Good afternoon,

Our last day today, home tomorrow. Rode around 200 today I think. Left the Universel, dipped between 85 and a couple greens to get down to the rail yard at 35. Put the boot to it, landed at the Roche Blanc intersection where one of our crew noticed some shredded bogeys. Return ticket for him. Two of us snagged a great lunch and some fuel at Hiboux, ran into Mikerider and his crew headed for St Pam. Ran 5 to 55 to 35, set the cruise control and didn’t stop until the railyard. 

A lot of clubs aren’t open Monday and Tuesday. Same with many local restaurants in town RDL. Typical chains open as usual. The restaurant here is all revamped, looks great. Exact same breakfast menu as always. Dinner menu options aren’t plentiful, but the food is much better than it ever was. 

Spoke with the spa attendant tonight, she said this place was full all of December and the first half of January. Feels really empty to us, but they’re glad to see it slow for a moment. Worth the drive for some great trail time here. Some snow pack can be a little light in spots but typical RDL experience prevails!

Made the St. Pamphile loop today. Trails totally mint, every inch. Lunch at Hiboux and saw Big Lake there. A few new reroutes this year but all good. Jak and Jack arrived today. Great happy hour with Paddy O and wife joining us. New sled should break 1,000 miles tomorrow.

Blueblood.    After 50,000 miles on 900 Aces I needed a change. Wanted something sporty so got the 129 600R,  The Polaris 650 is by far the finest sled I have ever driven, but 30% of the time I ride solo and I trust the SkiDoo. The Polaris may be dependable but I am just not sure yet.

mike

12 hours ago, mikerider said:

Made the St. Pamphile loop today. Trails totally mint, every inch. Lunch at Hiboux and saw Big Lake there. A few new reroutes this year but all good. Jak and Jack arrived today. Great happy hour with Paddy O and wife joining us. New sled should break 1,000 miles tomorrow.

Blueblood.    After 50,000 miles on 900 Aces I needed a change. Wanted something sporty so got the 129 600R,  The Polaris 650 is by far the finest sled I have ever driven, but 30% of the time I ride solo and I trust the SkiDoo. The Polaris may be dependable but I am just not sure yet.

mike

How are you making out with the thumb/handwarmer situation?

NSHM:     I can change the ratio but they immediately change back to the old ration of 50/50.  I  can't get the new ratio to hold, like thee should be one more step I don't know about.   (4.5 gauge)..   There is one switch on the handlebar that controls both warmers at the same time, (a tiny button that I can't find half the time with gloves and gaunlets .  But I am getting better at it:  turn em up when my hands get cold and down when my thumb starts burning.

Trails nice again, late lunch at RDL club house and out for another loop.

Big gang of us at hotel day room for an extended happy hour. Great time.

mike

Laid back easy ride going south, doing the green trails on both sides of trail 85. Pizza at our favorite spot in Cabano.  Got to spend many enjoyable miles on PADragons 129 XRA 850 with Smart Shocks and Triple Pt. carbides. Perhaps the nicest sled I have ever driven. I was blown away.  Between this sled and my new 600R, not sure I ever want to go back to a gout stroke.

mike

Hmmm, I'm Polish but I never heard that word? I too rode Dragons smart shocks sled as well. The handling is amazing. don't have to work too hard to make it go around corners. He did have it on the stiffer position for me (said I am fat). Maybe if they come out with a gout stroke with smart shocks may take a look.

Today 7 of us went to St. Pamphile for lunch, Trails great, but a few more clangs on rocks. Trails great. Almost 1,400 miles so far.

Big happy hour in the day room with our group of 7  and  8 friends from Ontario  (for those that remember KMKM from the Delta days),  Great party. 

mike

With only 1 button I don't see how a software fix could do it.  Go into settings, push mode to go to grip/thumb, then press the heated grip button to set the offset, then go to exit.  Now when you press the warmer button you should see the offset you set.

Edited by markusvt

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

Today 7 of us went to St. Pamphile for lunch, Trails great, but a few more clangs on rocks. Trails great. Almost 1,400 miles so far.

Big happy hour in the day room with our group of 7  and  8 friends from Ontario  (for those that remember KMKM from the Delta days),  Great party. 

mike

Sounds like you are having an awesome first ride Mike.  Enjoy Buddy. I hope to get up there soon.