Big Decision Time for 2013… 128” or 144”?

PLAYHARD

I’m putting my ‘07 Apex out to pasture with 16k+ of strictly Quebec “highway” miles on her. That’s a little better than I did on my ’03 RX-1-ton @ 11k miles, which I survived thanks to swapping in an M10 skid. (I know, nothing to brag about compared to Saguenay Bill/etc)

Anyway, there’s not a thing wrong with the Apex, except now that I’m nearing the ripe old age of 50 the injuries of my earlier years are catching up with me, and I believe that power steering will allow me to put off corrective surgery (or heaven forbid, put off Quebec sledding).

So… I’ve put some miles on buddies’ 136” Yamis (Apex & Vector) and didn’t feel any significant loss of cornering over my 121”, though they did feel kinda like riding on cobblestones with the longer track. We all stud minimally up the middle w/96 on the 121” (the next dilemma will be either studding the new Rip Saw or getting the Ice Ripper).

I’m thinking that if the new sled came with a 136” I’d probably just get it and not bother you all with this post, but now Yamaha is offering the Apex with 128” and 144”, with the back few inches of the 144” tipped up off the trail, so on a hard pack it allegedly has only 136” in contact with the ground.

But if the extra sneaker’s not in contact with the trail, unless it’s off-trail which I don’t typically do and which this heavy-weight isn’t designed for anyway, then who needs the extra 20lbs and worse mpg’s?!

Speaking of lbs & mpg’s, they frickin’ cut the fuel capacity from 10 gallons to 9.2, so we either need to plan rips of no more than 100 miles between stops, or carry some 1gal footwell cans)

I digress…

I get that the extra track & suspension can bridge stutter bumps and smooth out un-groomed trails, but hey, that’s why we ride in Quebec right, and there’s a sweet “SE” version of the 128” with Fox Floats all around which once dialed in (or pumped up) correctly should be good good good.

So?!...

I had an 06 apex and an 07 attack. My last 2 sleds are 144" cats. Much prefer the longer track for ride. Even though the trails are usually great in Quebec i find that there is always a section that the groomer forgot and i find the long track runs smoother. In addition i find the longer tack sleds offer more rear tunnel room though the Yammi's less useable space as the exhuast is there. I believe as you indicated they have the tipped up rails which should make them preform well. Longer tracks sleds are usually better off trail as well in case you miss a corner! My .02cents Mike

Hello playhard, i have the apex 144 and i love it, steerings great and the handling is very good once you set up the sled for your weight.I have the ice ripper and ride with some guys from qc who have studded there tracks and they feel its great you never would know the track is longer. In WNY the trails can be skinny and tight and we ride there with knoe issues.

Jagman56

The overall length difference (for fitting on the trailer n stuff) is just 6.5".

The reviews I'm reading about the Ice Ripper is that it's about 80% as grippy on sheer ice as "real" studs, which means I can kick the rear out as needed for cornering in the twisties.

So unless I hear from a few convincing QR's who LOVE their 128"s it's looking like I'll need to lay off about 20lbs of poutines this summer.

Does the 144 have power steering? If so, adding ski pressure to counter any track should be easy, handling effective, and not affecting you.

Wheel kit for the skis? I wish I had them on a few occasions, not many, but a few for sure.

My 550 SkiDoo fan probably most of the time got 10-12 mpg and I felt I was always having gas station stress after the 70 mile mark. I was always the weak link needing gas long before the others and it was a royal pain, not to mention spending around $125 a day or more in gas while tooling through Quebec. So ask yourself, would the Vector be a better sled since it gets far better gas mileage.

Don't buy into the theory that a longer track will ride better. It will only if the company got the suspension calibrations right, which doesn't always happen.

And read up on float air shocks, many claim they don't ride nearly as good as high pressure gas shocks and springs.

Just some thoughts, and good luck with your descision.

mike

The XTX is very well received. I am riding an Attak after an Apex. To me the difference is imperceptible but i know i can ride deep snow better. Too bad there is no Vector XTX, the times that a crack 100mph I realize that 80 - 95 is pretty fast too so I would consider going for the gas mileage. I rarely get less than 14mpg so you should be able to make 120m on 9.2 gal.

My vote is certianly for the 144". I have had two Arctic Cats with 144", however the last two winters I have been running a 137" 1200 Renegade. I believe after a long day of riding the 144" is better on an old back (we are about the same vintage), even on groomed trails.

That said the Yamaha fuel range is terrible with such a small tank. My Renegade I can easily go 120 miles with any worries, and have gone 140 miles and had 4 liters left. You appear to be a Yamaha fan so no slam intened at all, just a comparison.

I think your best bet would be the 144" and a pre-studded track (less wieght).

My vote is certianly for the 144". I have had two Arctic Cats with 144", however the last two winters I have been running a 137" 1200 Renegade. I believe after a long day of riding the 144" is better on an old back (we are about the same vintage), even on groomed trails.

That said the Yamaha fuel range is terrible with such a small tank. My Renegade I can easily go 120 miles with any worries, and have gone 140 miles and had 4 liters left. You appear to be a Yamaha fan so no slam intened at all, just a comparison.

I think your best bet would be the 144" and a pre-studded track (less wieght).

The pre-studded tracks are about all you need if riding in QC.,I have on 2 machines about 13000 miles combined and only one stud missing.Unless you ride real early or real late in the season these tracks really do the trick !

Mileage is not a constant, i've run out at 80 miles in 1' + on top of a groomed trail, and had unused liters at 140+ miles too on the same sled. More range is better, you just don't know when that lone outfitter or real gas station will be closed or out of gas ( i.e Repos). Jerry or two In the group adds a lot of peace of mind, everyone having one is priceless!

And overall , most any new (non carbureted) sled is going to get about the same mileage, unless geared differently than the rest of the pack, at least thats our general experience. For example, last week, 2006 600SDI and 2012 and new 800Etec, 1800+ miles on Gaspesie, trip totals showed we were within 2-3 liters of each other, averaging 14-15mpg.

Now, how many of those 9 gallons can you actually use can only be determined by running out and refilling

Edited by NH-Moose

Thanks all for the input!

After LOTS of back and forth in my little brain, and in the absence of some 128"-lovers, I'm really/definitely/finally set on the Apex XTX (144") with the Ice Ripper track & the Simmons Gen 3 skis (which worked really well for me this past season) & an extra gallon or two of jerry cans.

JUST 280'SUMTHIN' DAYS LEFT!!!

Does anyone have any good recipes for light & refreshing summer diet poutines?!

Thanks all for the input!

After LOTS of back and forth in my little brain, and in the absence of some 128"-lovers, I'm really/definitely/finally set on the Apex XTX (144") with the Ice Ripper track & the Simmons Gen 3 skis (which worked really well for me this past season) & an extra gallon or two of jerry cans.

JUST 280'SUMTHIN' DAYS LEFT!!!

Does anyone have any good recipes for light & refreshing summer diet poutines?!

I agree, made it myself and boy does it make a difference!!

And to boot...these jerry cans cost only a few bucks and can be bought anywhere should one get lost or stolen. The Ski-Doo spare fuel containers are selling for a buck and a half, hate to loose one of those at that price but with Doos doing 140+ miles what on earth would you need to carry spare fuel for?

The XTX is very well received. I am riding an Attak after an Apex. To me the difference is imperceptible but i know i can ride deep snow better. Too bad there is no Vector XTX, the times that a crack 100mph I realize that 80 - 95 is pretty fast too so I would consider going for the gas mileage. I rarely get less than 14mpg so you should be able to make 120m on 9.2 gal.

The 2011 Apex that rides in our group never has made 120 miles (well,only on a rope) Runs dry each time around 110.

I'd been averaging 13mpg on the '07 Apex, so even if the newer breathing isn't better (which it allegedly is) I'll still get about 120 to bone dry (depending on powder/etc as Moose said).

The bugger with mounting the spare gas is that the new pipes are closer together out the back, so it's probably gotta be flat cans either under the pipes or at the rear of the floorboards.

Playhard,

This maybe an option for you , a bit expensive, but if youy have extra room in your saddlebags..

I have been looking for option to have extra gas on my friends F6

http://www.redagascan.com/

Schooter

I'd been averaging 13mpg on the '07 Apex, so even if the newer breathing isn't better (which it allegedly is) I'll still get about 120 to bone dry (depending on powder/etc as Moose said).

The bugger with mounting the spare gas is that the new pipes are closer together out the back, so it's probably gotta be flat cans either under the pipes or at the rear of the floorboards.

Check out Rotopax.com. Saw a few of them this season mounted in various places including the rear of the.boards. There's another similar brand that starts with a K too.

Saguenay Bill on his 1200 GSX SE Ski-Doo went 130 miles to a gas stop & still had fuel in the tank.

Just saying maybe consider another brand not how to carry extra fuel

The 2011 Apex that rides in our group never has made 120 miles (well,only on a rope) Runs dry each time around 110.

I have a 2012 Vector and put 4,000 miles on it this winter all in Quebec. I averaged a solid 15.5 mpg with the numbers taken off the gps. I ran from Lebel to Chapais on a tank of fuel and also from Barrier Due Nord to La Dore on a tank of fuel. I have owned 2 Apexes in the past and The Vector is a far better sled, no questions asked! I have the ability to carry 2.5 gallons on the boards and this gives me a range of 175 miles. Any specific questions shoot me a pm and I will try to answer them. Due your self a favor and buy a Vector. I also ride with guys that have 1200 Doo's. Great sled, nothing bad to say. When I replace the Vector it will be a tough decision between a 1200 and a Vector.

• 4 weeks later...

I would tend to think he has something wrong because that means he is only getting about 12 mpg.(that's the 9.2g tank??) That would seem low for any conditions but def. out of line for Quebec trails. Track too tight, brake dragging, skis toed in/out, clutching probs/belt worn, chaincase probs/drivetrain bearing(s), fuel injection off, or something in the engine not right. Not normal for this sled.

It's done!

Apex XTX with Ice Ripper and of course the Simmons Gen3's

Thanks all for the input. Just need to figure out the best spare can gig.

257 days...

Good choice of sled and track Playhard, great for long trips and smooth sailing with the longer track.

On the older Apexes the large distance between the exhaust pipes allowed for a container of fuel to be stored on the rear tunnel, I made one for my '08 Apex check out the pics.

Unfortunately the exhaust pipe locations on the new Apexes do not allow for this type of apparatice. Here is a possible solution Playhard. I have seen these on very few sleds in the trail but have seen them and each time saw them mounted on the sides of the tunnel.

http://www.rotopax.com/Gasoline/

If you come up with some ideas for your new Apex lets talk.