2013-14 season's opener photo ride report, St-Zenon 30Nov2013!!!

towing

Saturday morning, November 30 2013 , partially cloudy , -25C at start !!!

Here is our 2013-14 season opener ride starting from La Glacière in St- Zenon !

DSC00127_zps84d2ca71.jpg

Stef took the opportunity to break-in his ​​new cat with Krikri and I

DSC00128_zps96bc5998.jpg

We had begin our sled seasons there for years and are very familiar with the area. I even ride the majority of these trails by motorcycle in summer so I know exactly what the base looks like and what to expect with around 30cm to the ground after the first dozer pass. I took care to install an old set of carbides under my skis knowing well that we would grind some rocks.Our choice of trail was also inspired by our knowledge of the area to avoid the most rocky places. Here is the trail path we did on Saturday :

carte_zpsbce89f4e.jpg

So we start on the trail # 350 in front of La Glacière . The trail was pretty bumpy in the first miles because of the ruff base ground, almost no sand despite the lack of snow.

DSC00134_zpsd3fb7393.jpg

This is season beginning , the trail is not wide and it is normal to have branches in some spots that will disappear after a few dozer passes

DSC00135_zps8d16f3b0.jpg

Here the trail #23 intersection . We went straight and continued on #350 towards Koubec

DSC00137_zpsec243022.jpg

For those who had doubted that this section of trail would be open this year, it is now confirmed: it is open for the season !

DSC00139_zps509ad7d0.jpg

Here on a section with a forest road base, riding great!

DSC00140_zpsf51ef097.jpg

The cold was really biting for a first ride in November. It gives very nice scenery ...

DSC00142_zpsa073694d.jpg

Still on forest road base, riding great with little rocks

DSC00144_zps30b827f1.jpg

DSC00149_zps5b7e64fe.jpg

The trail was very hardened by the night cold, enough that I had to lower my scratchers to get some lube to prevent my new slides from sticking

DSC00152_zpsaa044098.jpg

The second half of the trail to Koubec have a more rough base that give a more rugged trail conditions. We did it more slowly ...

DSC00167_zpsa8c8118f.jpg

Here a small swamp that have freeze back overnight ... I remember this same place had forced the dozer to double back at season’s beginning later in december 2 years ago.

DSC00170_zps99acd964.jpg

Slowly, it's the beginning of the season ...

DSC00171_zps6858e474.jpg

DSC00174_zpsecf24d3d.jpg

But the scenery is beautiful

DSC00176_zps504d73d8.jpg

Yep, the Koubec is still there and they are already open!

DSC00185_zpseab8afbe.jpg

We then went on the # 345 trail towards the Mastigouche Wildlife Reserve . The trails are on flat sumer roads so it came back beautiful

DSC00203_zps3119f1f2.jpg

There will be some wood cut in the reserve this winter that will change the usual paths of trails. There was therefore for the moment a 5 miles to do on a rougher trail base... has to ride slowly

DSC00207_zps2a9cf265.jpg

DSC00211_zps9578f94f.jpg

DSC00212_zpsacffe002.jpg

It then got back on a wide trail

DSC00238_zps32a61e09.jpg

There was only there a 200' where the snow had been swept out on a mountain top

DSC00228_zpsc073d5ea.jpg

For the rest, very good on a forest road base up to Cabanon

DSC00239_zps72899d45.jpg

DSC00242_zpscc56d19e.jpg

It's pretty even, around a foot of snow they have throughout the area ...

DSC00244_zps3b1b45dc.jpg

DSC00248_zps5175924e.jpg

Me doing a good action in removing a large dangerous stone. Don’t be surprised if you go , I have not removed all them!!!

DSC00250_zpsc04241b0.jpg

Snow is not all on the ground ...

DSC00256_zpscc8b59f9.jpg

Thanks towing for the great report. I ALWAYS enjoy your reports. Let's hope this is the beginning of a very long and good season. Safe trails my friend.

Shane

DSC00260_zps63e57484.jpg

The last miles before reconnecting #23trail were pretty fast even the if the snow cover was still thin

DSC00261_zps4da5bb08.jpg

DSC00262_zpse3809884.jpg

And we arrive at the Cabanon in St- Zenon around 11:15 .

DSC00270_zps15489ec4.jpg

We decided to eat there early and refuel before getting back on trail #23 towards the bridge over the Mattawin river

DSC00272_zps0a4219f1.jpg

The first miles into the wood were ruff because of trail base

DSC00273_zps1f856310.jpg

But once you're back on the reserve forest road it get back beautiful

DSC00277_zpse95654f4.jpg

Here is the “Bouteille” entrance of the Mastigouche reserve

DSC00278_zpsab8cdc01.jpg

There was a little traffic here but the sand tend to mix on some spots

DSC00280_zps97ec2bd5.jpg

The trail to the dam was not groomed yet when we got there but anyway, knowing that it is a more rocky section especially at the approach of the dam, is a much wiser choice to head to the bridge of the Matawin river. The trees were snow loaded in an incredible way ...

DSC00291_zpsb56b0306.jpg

In this magical winter scenery, our enthusiasm easily takes over ... but the thin snow cover quickly brings us back to reality :

BRRRRAAAAAP BRRRRAAAAAP BRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP..BANG!!! with the skip loop jumping in the air... ok,ok ! ! Brap .. brap ....

DSC00294_zps8aa15f45.jpg

DSC00295_zps6cf29ecc.jpg

And we arrived to the bridge

DSC00296_zps993fd814.jpg

DSC00298_zps8add60a4.jpg

We continued ...

DSC00301_zps3dd0464e.jpg

The #360 trail to the dam was the best section of the day, very very nice and we were able to open the throttle a bit ...

DSC00304_zps1b5edbbd.jpg

We then turned west on around lake path ( still trail # 360) I knew it was a little rocky a couple miles from start but then very nice and fast up to #33 junction .

DSC00308_zpsf896e74b.jpg

DSC00309_zps11a13617.jpg

From there , we knew that the conditions would have been much worse if we had continued ... So we stayed in the most beautiful section retracing our steps back to Cabanon. We just did a small hook at the dam the time of a picture …

DSC00310_zpsfd2f7694.jpg

Despite the limited circulation (we did not crossed many snowmobile in the day) it was already a bit less good on our return. We did a last fuel up at Cabanon before getting back by #23 trail to our starting point at 4:45 p.m. with a total of 195miles on the dreammeter.

In summary, this is a very nice early start to the season. Being able to open trails in November is exceptional!! Of course, the very cold temperature, little traffic and our path choice helped giving us these good conditions Saturday. Clubs are working to enlarge the playground for the next days and to complete the preparation of the trails. More details available here: http://snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions

but we have to be realistic that these are still early season’s conditions for the moment. The base is thin and not very strong and the rocks are near . It’s not necessarily conditions for everybody, perfect for some peoples and not ready yet for others ... in any case it‘s not a good idea to try brand new ski runners there at this time.

Temperature and precipitation coming in the next days/weeks will be decisive for the progression of the trail conditions… it was anyway amazing to get those conditions on a November 30 this year!!!promising for the next…

:drinks:

Alain

Thanks towing for the great report. I ALWAYS enjoy your reports. Let's hope this is the beginning of a very long and good season. Safe trails my friend.

Shane

My pleasure Shane, i'm happy to share a bit of the fun we had there!!!

Very nice report ...love the pic's looks like a good start....

Very nice start for this time of the year. It break even with my precedent record for my first ride on groomed trails on a 30 november in 2008... hoping the best for the rest of the season

:drinks:

Alain

Great Report as always Alain, looking pretty good so far. Like you say the weeks upcoming will be interesting to see. This week shows 2 days with Rain or Snow. Let's hope its snow.

Brown snow is normal near Le Cabanon. No doubt.

Excellent report with terrific pictures. Thank you very much. Reports like this provide a terrific incentive to be POSITIVE about the possibility of a wonderful season. I am praying for a wonderful season across the entire region!

Jim

Scranton, the orange thing is a Spot connect.

Alain and Kriki!

Great pictures and wonderful report!! And November for a ride!! Like the old days!

See you later!

Linda

Thanks for this report as well as all the others I have read and likely will read over the season. I know its time consuming and you continue to do so with lengthy reports that benefit us all and it is appreciated more than often is said.

With luck I will be out in the next 2 weeks as well. Ride safe.

Mike

Alain

Another in a long list of great reports for conditions and your experiences in Lenaudiere. Your reports are always factual and well illustrated by your many photos. Very much appreciated.

Have you seen the new SPOT device that let's you do short emails from the trail??? Kinda neat device that permits you to stay in touch any time you are out of cell tower range. I just replaced my "old" SPOT with one and am looking forward to testing it out this winter.

A Bientot,

Timbo