God …I love this S;$T

snowmaster2112

Just now, snowmaster2112 said:

Holy shit.....after 2 hours it finally lets me open the text field.....LOL

left camp at 9:30 yesterday and rolled into 100 Lacs at 3:30 

break at Giraldo dam, lunch at Manawan. They have a shack setup on the road going into town. Just want your name and where your from. I was going to write down “Bill Smith from NYC” but decided to be honest. The grocery store has come such a long way over the years. I had some French fries that might have been the best I ever had. 

We did not see one single sled all day. Nowhere!!!!

it was snowing at the camp when we left at 9:30 with about 2 new inches. By the time we got to Repos, 6 inches, Manawan, 10 inches and by the time we got to Lunic I would say a foot. Super fun riding in the storm yesterday as you don’t get to do that too often. I almost lost it right near Manawan and thought for sure I was going to smack a tree but somehow avoided it at the last second. Had to pull quite a few “ding weeds” out of the front shocks afterwards.

About 10 other sleds here at 100 Lacs and 25 workers lady says. We checked in and just went straight to our cabin. We parked the sleds at 4 pm and still snowing good. I will take a pic when it’s light out to show how much more fell on them.

We are heading to Parent and then Haltaparche today. Can’t wait to see Jean-guy

gonna purposely get a late start (wait....that’s how we roll anyhow) and hope that someone else bashes the trail down to Parent. Looking forward to having lunch there and catching up with multiple friends.

Jean-guy at Haltaparche just got 300mb Starlink internet installed a couple weeks ago so hopefully I’ll have some good pics later. My two buddies (night shower guys) gave the shower here at the cabin a whopping “2” on the 10 scale. I’m a morning shower guy but think I will skip it even though this is day 3. Jean-guy has a killer shower with full tub and I’ll take one when I get there. This one is so small it’s ridiculous. How my buddy Andre even fit in it is beyond me.

C1BA57FF-38E1-4F22-9F21-BA1C95CDF310.jpeg

4 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I stayed in this very same cabin the day of the big storm late February 2019, 2.5 ft, ride from hell...but wouldn't miss the adventure...like you the only sleds on the trail...rode the whole day breaking trail for my friends with the extreme, great report, say hello to JG for me, Bob.

Only stayed at Haltapache once, but it was certainly one of the more memorable stays. He let us park our machines overnight in the garage (-40°).  It was amazing what he had accumulated in there. The generator, an old Lister diesel was cranking in the corner with the drive shift going to the generator,  no gaurds or anything around it. LOL

We left 100Lacs at 10:15 this morning. I was hoping that at least a couple of the few sleds that were here would head north.....but NO. Oh well.....

i was leading and thank goodness I could make out a track from late yesterday afternoon sometime and could use that as a guide. It was blue sky and cold. My boat anchor of a sled is not made for powder riding of any kind but was doing fairly well.

i was standing half the time and sitting the rest. Corners were challenging as your slip sliding away. About 8 miles or so in I stop and see a light behind me so I’m figuring all is well. 

At approx 18 miles out the trail comes out to a road near the Mitchinamecus River. I pull out and over on the side of this plowed road and wait for my two buddies. One cigarette turns into two and now I’m starting to wonder. So 15 more minutes go by and my concern level is climbing up. At this point I’m relatively certain no one is hurt as we were not going fast at all because of the depth of the snow. My guess was breakdown or stuck. I could here trucks up around the corner and see signs so I knew people were in the area. 

Turns out it was these guys. Some of Quebec’s finest.

5CE587D4-ABCC-48DD-AEAE-C9810C753929.jpeg

So after hanging around for another half hour shooting the shit with these guys I’m getting really concerned now. 

I’m thinking if I head back in there myself and something happens to me or my machine before I find them then I’ll be screwed.

i explained the situation to the Hydro guys and they let me use their sat phone. We are about 40 miles out of Parent at this point. I called Parent but couldn’t get ahold of my contact there and was figuring out who to call next. If I was going back in I NEEDED someone to know at least in case we all get stuck and separated. Just then.......guess who shows up at the intersection ? They both pull up and explain that Andre couldn’t find his cell phone and thought he left it at 100 Lacs. So he turned around and went back while leaving Jeff there. Turns out once he gets back to 100 Lacs and strips down he finds it way down in his bibs behind his boot. Ha ha ha....there goes an hour plus of the day but all is good. 

943A97C6-2EEC-4204-9D14-20CB7F4C5918.jpeg

We head forward and THANKFULLY at the intersection of 83 and where the trail splits off to Cheval there are tracks heading north. This I’m convinced saved our asses BIG TIME today. 

Here sometime within an hour of that. I did not get to take too many pictures today.

4C40D8FC-200E-43C6-B770-3B99B4843D8E.jpeg

The few pictures I took today don’t do justice to how much snow there was. What your seeing are complete stops and a scenic snap here and there. The rest of the time we were hanging on and doing everything you can to stay in these guys tracks and not get sucked off the trail. The further we went along I was convinced we would not have made it with our sleds or at the least had a really, really hard time. Here up on the hill overlooking Parent. The new cell tower is up and we went right by it. It will be active next year. While at the depanneur in Parent (no hassles or problems there whatsoever on restrictions) I ask Andre to ask the girl at the register about 4 sleds coming in here before us. I was guessing there were 4-5 of them and she said that sounded right AND THEY WERE GOING TO THE GOUIN !!!!

Best damn news I’ve heard all day. Now we have a clear shot all the way to Haltaparche if we don’t blow off the trail.

Here .....where they split and headed up. Haltaparche is less than a km around the corner.

AA4A6F83-31D7-4A28-8557-061F6E91EBA4.jpeg

Don’t know if these guys were French or American but they busted through an incredible amount of snow today for a long time. If anyone knows who they are we owe them more than one round of beers if we ever meet. 

Here pulling into Haltaparche 

B816083E-0804-4D06-BD08-BBE59C9DB57D.jpeg