Team Iceman Running Free

iceman

13 minutes ago, markusvt said:

If the trail sucks, the road parallels the trail all the way to the gas station.  If there is good snow on it, take it

I recall that move in the past, not because of bad grooming, but because of blizzardiness.

3 hours ago, DareDog said:

How is 83 west of wemo? Heard reports of logging and trial is plowed for 12km?  

Had no issues there but was fresh snow on it. 20km

bigger issue 345 from TQ83 to Casey is like Snowmaster describes. Motocross moguls non stop right into Downtown Casey. Then all good to Repos.

will explain all later

Windigo never disappoints. Solid operation here. Lazy Morning today. We talked about 7:45 breakfast last night, oh well that was then, this is now and its closer to 8:45. NHmoose made a special request last night. He wanted smoked meat with his breakfast. Martine would make it so. 

D4A1DCD9-736C-45AB-8253-93B51F2553F6.jpeg

Finished breakfast got squared up and geared up. Much warmer today not quite Aruba but not nortb pole anymore. Under Layers back to normal operations. 

There was a big group here also from Montana Adventure, Martine said they are out of St Alexiis des Monts they were 7 or 8 with the guide all french from France. Nice to see some big tourist groups. 

They were already outside almost ready to leave i had spoken to the guide they were doing stricty trails. Last night they were in La Tuque, to Windigo, and now to Gouin tonight. 

Long story short they beat us out the driveway as they are westbound too toward Wemo on TQ83. 5 minutes head start. 

We are good. I catch last guy in under 5km of the driveway from Windigo. Damn gonna be a long few KM. Cannot pass here way too much snow dust and not safe. Trees have been cut but they still are sticking close to trail not worth the risks. 

I know a good guide will be stopping at the junction with TQ83 and counting his ducklings. We will scoop them here. And we do without any drama. Westbound and hammer down. 4-6inches of cream cheese on trail. 4 others left Windigo early. They are obviously ahead as there are tracks here. 

Fast run into Wemo, os Snohorse said later it was one of the smothest runs through Wemo ever, for sure the fresh snow helped alot as did the new trail dropping into town up over the mountains with the Scenic lookout. This also reported earlier by Team Vermont. Thanks guys.

It’s this kind of intel i find the most helpful. When a trail changes and you kniw about it then when you get to ride there it’s nice to know before.

Leaving Wemo westbound immediately after the gas station you cross the first single lane road bridge then continuing on you come to a right turn onto another small single lane road bridge. 

It’s here we stop to pay our respects to my great friend and father in law Gaston. He died here Easter Monday in his beloved Mack semi doing what he loved. 

Emotional day as this has weighed on me the entire trip knowing if eventually this ride gave us it all….we would pass here today. 

Gaston’s memorial cross is covered by the snow, but its there in the woodline. 

Miss you everyday mon ami. 

Now we are off to investigate this plowed section of TQ83.

left Gaston a Team sticker 

BF5505FE-C82A-493B-9FAE-14DCDE1F5CB6.jpeg

32484F62-CF04-4EE0-9CC2-FF2B6E4D0920.jpeg

45EBD9B8-74E1-4152-AD08-DAA54F639B59.jpeg

07BC8640-2009-4A94-9B0F-B93A33E58E96.jpeg

After crossing the fateful bridge you very soon after bail to th right over the train tracks and here is where its plowed. From parking area here along road after bridge it starts. 20km taday fresh snow and no issues. Its plowed wide. I do not understand as i said i see no evidence of operations here. Other than plowed road/trail which today doesn’t matter as it has fresh snow. The question my fellow QR’s is….? Was it truly a mistake or operating there actively will begin soon? Hence road prep. Opening it up. 

That is the million dolllar question. Will they plow it again? 

Well regardless the bigger issue is as mister Snowmaster said 345 from TQ83 to Casey is mogul after mogul motocross action bigtime. No grooming here for a while. Arriving in downtown Casey it quickly changed for the better leaving town. 

I do believe this Kanawata side is groomed to just over track he turns in village and goes back. Down the 345. The groomer from Parent does 345 down to Casey from TQ83 on 345 and they are out to lunch up here. Maybe,mechanical issues but do not know. Just that its bad. 

Now the honey hole gives it up from train tracks at Casey to Kanawata’s trail is stellar. One of the funnest sections of the week. Traffic been light few sleds headed east near Wemo and a few stopped headed west near before Casey but we passed on by. 

No gas stop for us at Kanawata gonna push the limit. 

345 is beautiful has some fresh snow and despite the fact I know I am pushing it for gas i got gas to spill in if i need it, i just carry it for looks i do not want to touch it. 

Everyone on this trail has ridden within 1 to 1.5 sled withs right in the middle of this tral. The tracks in fresh snow do not lie. I don’t get it. But i cannot help myself i try to ride the middle where it’s already broken but my instincts will not keep me there i am stuck on the right railing blowing it open wider then Snohorse whose line is another half sled to the right trimming the bushes. 

A little bit before coming out of the 345 onto the road for the first time. Headed fir Repos, I am railing right here comes a gang of up the middle’s headed up. First guy is obviously surprised to see anyone. He thinks about a hand signal then decides against it he is out of control off in the fluff on his side. If you need to steer like this guy was he was never in control to begin with. Scary. He is surely not alone but i hold my ground solid on right 2 more go buy these guys are more behaved as we saw each other coming. Now there has been no hand signals from them which I am good with as i am not a giver. The next guy however he has a signal. Now for all you hand signal aficionados please help me out here. I am minding my own damn business on my side sucked right hard. This guy is flapping his arm up and down it looked to me like some sort of one armed chicken dance. I am familiar with arm out pointed down meaning more sleds coming i guess. But flapping like a bird i thought….well i was not sure what to think. Then i see his friend the last one struggling to stay straight and using alot of trail must have been some kind of warning just not sure. 

Lets wrap this up people. 

Gas at Repo we asked for the Snowmaster discount and they charged us 25% markup. Bastards. LOL

No clubs for you here. Move on. 

Gave them 60$ and i did make it into pump with 28km on the yellow light low fuel. 

Gas and go then TQ33 minefield to after lakes as usual. Then ok not great but for late Sunday we will take it. We hammer it out. Just before junction of TQ33 and 360 catch a big group must be from Auberge Lac Taureau. No luggage. At junction they go left down 33. All good we are heading sraight into driveway for Camp Taureau. 

Love it here scored triple room giant with lots of space. $80 each with dinner and breakfast. 

Wifi now throughout the building last year was only up in bar/dining room. 

Totally new crew all new young faces here. 

Spectacular day on the trails.

Homeward bound tomorrow. 

36E5E282-5CA5-4686-B5B9-C4A61E595916.jpeg

0F57E004-BC2F-4BDF-A11F-C449B8B7B065.jpeg

623D36B2-AB09-4FFE-AB10-9780AF72BC50.jpeg

Yeah every two weeks isn't cutting it. That's the point. Even with a fresh groom the mogul memory will be there and it'll be rough by Friday if it isnt already.  I experienced the same thing when we were up there 3 weeks ago.  I found they weren't getting 83 back flat either.  Seems like they do 83 weekly and 345 down to Casey every other week.  I get these are long difficult groomer runs.  They're probably 20 hrs to leave Parent, go the Wemotaci, go to Casey and return to Parent.  Then something similar to go to Clova and back in the other direction.  It does come back to a management issue though I'm sure.  The unit will run 24 hrs if you can staff it.  Either that or the brand new groomer is causing them lots of headaches.  I'm not one to complain as it's a thankless job and I've done it.  But sure would be nice if they could get the grooming frequency on these sections up.  The clubs other groomer out of Fer a Cheval has no issues keeping up with traffic.

There's the issue. Makes these stretches tough. 263 km round trip. They should be running between 10 and 15 km/hr. So thats 20 - 25 hrs without a stop for food, a piss or to deal with any issues (trees, washouts, etc.). Add the run to Clova in the opposite direction and it becones tough. I'm sure it's a personnel issue. You need three operators min working full time to keep pace with that.

Edited by Signfan

6 February 

quick and easy today. Great stay at Camp Taureau. Had a big room with lots of space fit all three of us. $80 each all in with breakfast and dinner. Sweet place. Will return. 9:25 or so out the driveway and to TQ33 all groomed all tge way to TQ63 and into St Michael then beyond right to Cabanon. Caught big tour group just after leaving town in St Michael. Took a bit to get by but we did. TQ23 from Cabanon nit terrible but 350 further down was rougher. Took trail through Lac Blanc nice crowd for monday. Sweet trail all the way to St Etienne and home. All in just a 204km day in driveway here a 1:15pm. 

Awesome trip with mostly spectacular trails. Great team. Don’t get any better. Very happy to be back. We will regroup and see what’s next.