Anyone on here run a 2012 Actic cat turbo?

clk1x

I'm looking for an up grade to my 2006 yamaha apex. I'm in love with the 2013 cross tour turbo but have been spoiled by the yamaha reliability. I'm looking for some honest real work info on a turbo.

Mileage, belts, hadeling,ride.

I like to do long saddle bag trips in QC. I know I could go with a nwer Apex but I feel thay are still to much like what I already have.

Thanks

I put over 4000 miles on a 2010 EXT Turbo, most of which were saddlebag miles. The mileage is not the best but certian right there with the 1200 BRP. The EXT was giving me about 18-19 miles / imperial gallon. I had a friend with a 1200 and we were always within a couple liters at the pumps or less, I would better him some times. The big difference was power, no comparison between the two, but look at the horse power difference. That said they changed the body and dropped 80 lbs since 2010. I drove a 2012 EXT last winter, non turbo for quite a ways on one trip, the new body is very impressive. As for handling point it where you want to go, too easy. A great ride with the 141", no problem to put 300 miles plus on per day with this sled.

I have the 2012 xf turbo. Only was able to put 1500 miles onit last year. Prior to that I had the 2011 ext turbo and a 2009 Yamaha attack. The cats ride much better in my opinion than the Yamaha. I bought the Yamaha for the same reason you do, long trips and reliability. Fuel is about the same between the 2 sleds but will depend on how you ride. The new cats had some issues but are suppose to be sorted out for this winter. Mainly the reverse. Mine went at the end of the season but when it fails all it means is you have no reverse. Still on original belt. Some owners were having issues but again i think they sorted out the alignment issue for this. The rear tunnels are now changed and this should prevent the ice build up that many of these were experienceing last year. The Crosstour is a nice model. I believe it has normal shocks and not the air shocks. The air shocks were not valved well and ride quality was effected and unless you are really into harsh conditions dont need the air shocks imo. I've had many cats and none have left me in the woods. The fun factor of these turbos is really high plus you can do some easy ecu changes for wild power gains. My regular buddy has the same sled as me and his has the programs and fuel economy was the same but lots more fun! He only blew one belt last winter with about 2000 miles. These are now 2nd year sleds and II would not hesitage to get one. I really like the doo 1200's and many of their models but they just wont keep up to a turbo.

Hope this helps

Mike

Some issues?? LOL!!! That is a joke, the list of problems is insane, I suggest going on other websites and see for yourself the issues with the 2012 cats.

In my opion, I would wait one more year before getting a 2013 and see how it fairs out.

The only good thing about the Cats last year is it might have been the best looking sled on snow. (for the short time that they would last)

I'm with Fozzy on this. I get 1500 miles mostly in one trip per winter. Those Cats look great and the power sounds very tempting, but I don't want to spend my time in QC getting things fixed. I followed the Threads on HCS all winter, if there had been better snow last year there would have been even more problems. IMO the only thing wrong with an Apex is the steep angle of attack of the skid that makes it a trencher so you can't play off trail as much. Even so there are ways to improve that and the XTX Is already supposed to be much better in deeper snow. I only saw 2 2012 Cats on the trails in my 10 Days there last year. I saw more on fire in videos.

take it for what this is worth (I ride a MachZ(Kaboom), Not the new etec one either), While Dan, Dave and I were missing the trip to Groomers Office (Winter Gathering) we were in his families Skidoo Dealership getting a helmet fixed, and 1 (Artic Cat) was dragged in with 80+ miles on it, it had an exploded chaincase, Groomer's Nephew said it was the third one this week, same issue.

They have/had there issues, but take it from me, wait till they are worked out. Or I can sell you a real nice MachZ Longtrack, only 1400 miles ..... on this motor....

GutZ

I bought the 2012 F 1100 non turbo LXR last winter. By the end of January and 2,400 miles, I parked it behind the house and went out and bought a new 550 fan cooled SkiDoo for almost half the price and put on almost 4,000 miles on the SkiDoo in February. I liked the Doo better. A lot better.

The 2012 Cat rode nothing like the Twin Spar chassis pre 2012. The 2012 was a miserable ride on any size stutter bumps, even one inch stutters.

The handling was just so-so. It would get stuck in between forward and reverse and just sit there and grind. It went back to the dealer so often for recalls that my truck was getting more miles than the sled. Last winter I was often doing solo rides out of RDL and I just didn't trust the Cat. New friend I met at RDL pulled his '12 lxr Cat out of the trailer one morning and went about ten feet and blew the chain case. The heated seat was nice, except it got scalding hot and I was always having to turn it on and off so I wouldn't get burned. I also thought the sled was miserable to get to anything under the hood. It was a pain just to do a front end alignment or get to the tool kit. The slide rails would heat up and prematurely wear out on early cold morning groomed trails. I could feel the drag of the slides every morning, felt like the brake was stuck.

Maybe the '13 Cat is better. Maybe. FYI, Just bought a new SkiDoo today (600 carb MXZ).

Hope this helps.

Mike

Well like angthing I will have to weed through good and bad reviews to come up with my own comclution. I know MIKERIDER has put on quite a few miles on a sled and he knows a turd when he has a leg over one. I guess I may have to stick with my plan to ride before I buy. I hoping I can do this at Jackman Powersports later this winter. The money these sled cost today I can't see spending it based on what others think. not sure what is going with the typing??????

Well like angthing I will have to weed through good and bad reviews to come up with my own comclution. I know MIKERIDER has put on quite a few miles on a sled and he knows a turd when he has a leg over one. I guess I may have to stick with my plan to ride before I buy. I hoping I can do this at Jackman Powersports later this winter. The money these sled cost today I can't see spending it based on what others think. not sure what is going with the typing??????

You have the strikethough option set in your font selection. (looks like a capital S with dash through it)

Love mine! most fun sled I have ever owned and I have owned 13 Cats and 14 Skidoo's including 800 etec and 2 1200's. Miles of smiles with this 2012 F1100 Turbo. Heated seat was a blessing up around Matagami and Chibougamau, found it to be just like heated grips gets to warm I turn it off...That being said I did not use my reverse since Cat admitted there was a problem of course that sucked but until 2004 I never had a sled with reverse so it wasn't the end of the world and as soon as you hit the throttle on this thing I forgot all about the reverse. I must admit I had a little engine boost enhancement from TD and that worked flawless. Rode better than my Doo's handling was a toss up. Hope Doo comes out with one of these though as my one riding buddy was also my doo dealer!

I do have a some Cat blood flowing through my viens, and likely always will. The one thing I have seen about Cat over the years is they don't make the same mistake twice! Whenever there was an issue, the next model year it was solved and it was never an issue again. Did Cat have some issues with last years models...yes they did. Will they have the same issues this winter.....not a chance!!

Never driven the cat turbo, was very impressed with the look and considered buying one. For the same reason you are thinking the 2011 and later Apexes did not seem any different from my 2007 gt and I wanted something different. I ended up buying another Apex(new 2011)after stripping it and adding this and that ..I realized it is very different, there has been a sheatload of stuff altered, improved, added, more HP,EPS, Exup, plastics, wheels, suspension geometry, frame,guage,exhaust,track lenght,skis,higher seat,engine tweaks etc.I have only driven it around the house, so can't speak for on trail manners...agreed it looks similar but it is a different animal.

CLK1X,

I have a 2012 F-1100 turbo sno pro 50th anniversary limited. I had a 2011 renegade 800 X before this sled, 2010 renegade 1200x before that. The very best feature of this sled is the motor. I believe it is so good that you can eventually forget about the other issues, if you desire alot of power.

I put about 2100 miles on mine. I am on my second belt, changed it before it let go.Fuel mileage is just a bit less than a 1200 renegade or an apex, 1/2 gallon more on a fill up. My sno pro is very stiff, very stiff seat foam too. I have softened the suspension substantially, it is almost where I want it. Handling is as good as my 800 X and 1200 X was, however the ski doo was almost perfect when I picked it up from the dealer.I had to work a bit to get the 1100 turbo where I wanted it. Be certain to get a softer seat than I have.

I cant say anything bad about the air shocks, but I wont say they are great either, I still have not developed a good feel for them.

I got by with my reverse, only using it when the chaincase oil was fully warmed up, and being very cautious with the throttle after shifting from reverse to forward. Was it a pain, yes but the motor made me forget.

My 800 etec renegade was only at its best when I had high octane fuel in it. I always paid for premium, but I know I did not always get premium. The Turbo is never at a loss for ample power.It too asks for premium, however I could never feel the difference in fuel with this sled.

Ergonomics, seating position, wind protection (with the proper windshield) and general comfort are what I feel to be the best on the market right now.

My tunnell was replaced as the original heat exchanger made icebergs that the sled could not digest. Cat denies that icebergs were bending tunnells, however I know first hand that is how my tunnell was bent.The old mounting style for the heat exchanger did keep the engine cool.

My dealer made a huge difference in how I regard this sled. Without their support I would be unhappy, as other owners report.Do not buy this unless you have an experienced and fully qualified dealer that is not afraid to stock parts for 2013 sleds. Check out the dealers service department, be certain that they are as qualified.

Yup fer sure. Used more belts then injection oil. Ah the good old days. Changing belts and putting in oil. My how far we have come.

You can only bang your head against a wall for so long, then its time to stop banging or not.

I am not a basher of other brands, however I do have one beef with Yamaha. I have friends that ride them, they ride great, have very good power, very dependable, sound incredible, and they give decent fuel mileage .......but they have no range! The fuel tank is too small, why doesn't Yamaha put a bigger tank on them??

I rode with a friend on a 1100 Turbo two winters ago and he got 160 miles on a single tank, mind you there was nothing left in the tank but fumes but he did it!!