10 Day ride Edmundston NB-Abitibi

Andyman

As I sit here typing I am bummed out because I just found out last evening that our 14 day ride scheduled to start this coming Monday the 17th will not happen due to illness.

We rode from Edmundston- Lac Etchiem overnight.

St Raymond -doo shop -overnight.

Relais 22 overnight.

Tq83 cross country to La dore then Chibougamau overnight.

Senneterre overnight.

Barrage Gouin overnight.

Alma overnight.

Les escouminis overnight.

Matane overnight.

Returned to trucks via Moose Valley NB... This was free pass day! Hundreds and hundreds of sleds!

I had 2133 miles 61.7 hrs run time others had bigger numbers due to search and rescue missions! LOL

Overall conditions were absolutely amazing. We had 15 miles of bad trail in 10 days!

Andy

post-14-0-70131500-1392292911_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-45633700-1392292944_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-36190800-1392292981_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-49912200-1392293021_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-60249900-1392293048_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-81222100-1392293074_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-58224500-1392293121_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-91188300-1392293164_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-03561100-1392293198_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-16261600-1392293267_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-08331000-1392293562_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-50172900-1392293586_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about the cancellation Andy. It is a short season any way you look at it and any "unscheduled event" hurts. Hope everything is OK.

That is an epic trip. Looks like weather, conditions, etc all came together to make a very memorable journey. Great report.

P.S would you ever go back to a 2 stroke? I think the new 900 will only add to the percentage going 4 stroke.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Great ride Andy! Thanks for the pics. I especially liked the sign for Danseuse! Always good to know where & when the ballet is in town!

Sorry about your trip cancellation due to illness. I hope it's not too serious of an illness.

Heading north on the 21st. Can't wait!

Best,

Tom

Cool report !

Where was the helmets off stuck spot ?

Good job Andy on the report. The helmets off spot was not far East of Relais 22, there was a sign for La dore We tried to find our way through but there were insufficient signage and no GPS tracks. We were within 1km of the 93 but couldn't find the shortcut we were looking for. This shortcut could easily save several hours and put you half way between LA Dore and the sawmill.

Please note there is one track up over the hill ahead of the stuck sled, this was made by in my opinion the most skillful rider in the group, but I won't mention any names!!

Good job Andy on the report. The helmets off spot was not far East of Relais 22, there was a sign for La dore We tried to find our way through but there were insufficient signage and no GPS tracks. We were within 1km of the 93 but couldn't find the shortcut we were looking for. This shortcut could easily save several hours and put you half way between LA Dore and the sawmill.

Please note there is one track up over the hill ahead of the stuck sled, this was made by in my opinion the most skillful rider in the group, but I won't mention any names!!

Yup I know right where you are talking about. I believe Scorpionbowl made it thru that way once. I am pretty sure that is the VTT trail. It is quite a shortcut if you can do it.

So you backtracked after not finding the way to 93? And were that close?

If it was this guy he must have improved drastically in the past 2 years

post-54-0-49482800-1392327758_thumb.jpg

Yup I know right where you are talking about. I believe Scorpionbowl made it thru that way once. I am pretty sure that is the VTT trail. It is quite a shortcut if you can do it.

So you backtracked after not finding the way to 93? And were that close?

Never admitted defeat, have you ever heard the expression "let's go this way for a while, I have my GPS zoomed out". We ended up finding our way into LA Dore on a local trail.

I bet you think that is funny don't you???

We were .7 of a mile away from the 93. The waypoint marked on this screen capture is a road and there were tracks. I would bet my lunch we can get through on that route rather than the way we tried. We were just too tired and low on fuel to screw around any more. On the west end there seem to be two options to get through one is a VTT trail and the other a road.

Andy

post-14-0-65071100-1392338836_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-55497900-1392338846_thumb.jpg

That's going to be a great shortcut if someone can figure it out. The way you were going and the gray line you show I don't think is possible to get to 93. That was a route I tracked from google earth, but we went back and forth on 93 and there isn't anyway through there, it's all grown in. The waypoint you left follows the river, we took that option, but it follows the river and continues to la dore. In the pics, the purple trace is our track, the right turn we wanted to take to follow the route was clear, but no one was on it, so we didn't try breaking trail, but that seems like the way to go...

post-12-0-30255000-1392341339_thumb.png

post-12-0-96297300-1392341379_thumb.png

In this capture you will see the to r22 waypoint. There were sled tracks heading west here that we saw on our way to the saw mill. On the west side there were tracks at both the VTT trail and the trail heading to the right off our track so I feel quite confident we can get through. Like you said Gary the grey line is not possible just look at the contour lines! The grey line was just to measure the distance.

Andy

post-14-0-04307400-1392342452_thumb.jpg

Nice report Andy, we have tried to find that trail as well with no luck. I have seen bits and pieces of vtt signs but can never get any straight answers from anyone in those areas about the trail. Would sure be a nice option

Now that I know how many of us have tried to make this short cut I am more determined than ever to get through there. I considered riding across this lake or trying this route as indicated by the pink route line but we were soaked and tired and no one was in the mood for being stuck again!!! After gas in La Dore we rode up the 93 and I was watching my GPS and I could see our track just to our west and when we rode by these small lakes I looked but there were zero tracks on them. The snow was very deep and not much bottom so no more off trail excursions to find a route. My gut tells me the easiest way would be to follow the roads just east of where we tried oh well next time! In the second capture it is only 1500 ft on flat ground to connect the roads. There were tracks on both ends so theoretically it should be possible! LOL

Andy

post-14-0-51590000-1392376869_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-73208700-1392377519_thumb.jpg

hi ray !!!

reading steven's post...thats the first pic that came to mind !!!

very nice pics and great report as usual !!!...pic with bridge on post 15...a-1 !!

jean-guy