If you had to choose between 2 destinations to ride this winter?

JBlavl

If you had to choose between 1 place to ride this winter?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If you were going to make a 10+ hour drive for one 3 day ride in Quebec this winter which would you choose?

• Saguenay
    • Gaspe

We've been to Quebec 3 times now and have had fun each time. Last year we did our first saddlebag tour and ran the woodrunner loop. Great time, hard to imagine it gets a lot better. This year we are thinking about another Quebec ride and keep hearing great things about the Sag area and the Gaspe. I've seen a lot of pictures from the Gaspe and it looks amazing. We had friends that rode Sag last year and can't stop talking about it. So if you had to choose one of these destinations for a 3-4 day ride, which would you choose? 

Edited by JBlavl

10 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

Gaspésie hands down, but wait until March, longer days, warmer, no one there, best snow...

Views like this...

Gaspesie 2014.JPG

Awesome picture! Any chance there is a thread of Gaspe pics like this? Looking at this so early in the season is not good for my health! 

4 hours ago, JBlavl said:

I've read of there sometimes being a lack of snow on Gaspe. Is that a late season problem or just on the south shore, or was the person misinformed? 

Last year I had a trip planed for the last week of Feb. It was a meltdown & washout. A week or so later people were riding in great snow.

I think you just have to watch the weather.

Riding in the Gaspe in late march as Phil stated would be a safe bet.

10 hrs for 3 days....

damn that sucks.

I love Gaspe as most others, but IMHO 3 days is crazy. Not near enough time to enjoy it, but I understand if its what you got then fine. Hope for good weather and no storms. 

I mean what are we talking here? 3 day trips from RDL? Or what? 

Go to Gaspe when you can give it 5-6 days minimum and go late March. But stop telling everyone about late March cause we like it to ourselves. Just saying.

Saguenay is awesome too. Say from Jonquiere or Chcoutimi

You could easily loop the Lake one day. Then day 2 to Mont Valin and check that all out. Then for fun run down 383 hit 3 to ferry then back up 3 to 93 and back thru valin to finish things up. 

Steal an extra day or two...5 days makes it very comfortable and you can stop to smell the roses...

The date on this photo is correct, every year is different, we have already gotten rained out in March.

Gaspe 4 16 028.JPG

3 minutes ago, Phil 1 said:

Steal an extra day or two...5 days makes it very comfortable and you can stop to smell the roses...

The date on this photo is correct, every year is different, we have already gotten rained out in March.

Gaspe 4 16 028.JPG

Well 5 days is a different story like I said. 

If only 3 days with no room for extending to at least 5, then I am sticking to the Saguenay run. 

The OP set it at a 3 day ride. 

Wow these are some great pictures. You guys have me drooling on my keyboard.

Great info from everyone. Moving the date back to do Gaspe I don't see as a problem. Getting more time to do it could be an issue. Is Sag more dooable for 3 days of riding? Was thinking Sag would do a stationary hotel and loops. 

14 hours ago, iceman said:

10 hrs for 3 days....

damn that sucks.

I love Gaspe as most others, but IMHO 3 days is crazy. Not near enough time to enjoy it, but I understand if its what you got then fine. Hope for good weather and no storms. 

I mean what are we talking here? 3 day trips from RDL? Or what? 

Go to Gaspe when you can give it 5-6 days minimum and go late March. But stop telling everyone about late March cause we like it to ourselves. Just saying.

Saguenay is awesome too. Say from Jonquiere or Chcoutimi

You could easily loop the Lake one day. Then day 2 to Mont Valin and check that all out. Then for fun run down 383 hit 3 to ferry then back up 3 to 93 and back thru valin to finish things up. 

I believe Ice has it correct if you only have 3 days, as he posted above. Stay at the Delta with the world famous Saguenay Bill and you will have more recommendations for loops than you can imagine.

Save a few more days for next year and go to Gaspe.

Photo from on Lac St Jean early AM...

On Lac St Jean.jpg

If you are now also thinking day trips out of the same location, you can't go wrong either at the Delta Hotel in the Saguenay area or the Universal Hotel at Riviere du Loup at the start of the Gaspe loop. Both are very large hotels with full services. Both areas have fantastic grooming. The Sag area has far more loops to choose. The Riviere du Loup area is famous for their numerous snowmobile club houses. It is hard not to go 30 miles and not see a club house. Pics of Riviere area.P1070807.JPGP1070807.JPG

P1060970.JPG

P1060919.JPG

P1060950.JPG

Imho if you only have 3 days to ride and your saddle bagging why drive all the way to the Delta? Start in St Raymond and shoot up the tq23 to the Delta, under 200 miles. Loop through the Sagueny and down through Tadoussic   back to St raymond or loop through Valins and back down the tq83. Just a thought