Claremont Express Revival

markusvt

Gathered up Randy and Jay for a last minute trip to Au Canada. Ran to Walgreens and got the NAAT test to cross the border. They say under 24 hour results but we have been getting them mostly in under two hours but up to 12 hours. Makes crossing the border easy peasy. We did get through the border with no random Covid tests but we did get the yellow slip for random search. Jokes on them, the search took 10 minutes and we were out of there. 

We spent the night in Quebec city and though the snow didn’t look over abundance it looked adequate. All worries were gone once we hit the trail as in typical Quebec city fashion everything was groomed perfectly. We did grab some of the orange trails heading out of town to stay off of Route three, then it was route 3 all the way to the 83.

Bummer the relay outside of Bai Saint Paul, (Michelieu) that was rebuilt in the last few years looks like it’s been closed all season. It does look like they recently plowed the road and I’m guessing with the new rules they might be open again soon. We would’ve grab food today there if it was open. The clubhouse/warming hut before there was open but we didn’t go in.

A few tiny reroutes on route three but the miles stayed about the same as always. We did get gas just north of Charlevoix but we skipped lunch which didn’t seem to kill any of us up till this point.  Monday restaurants are open at 50% capacity so people can eat again so no one will die.

Very light traffic on the trail today which may have been due to cold temperatures again or the fact that it’s a Thursday, we don’t know. Either way we like it this way.

We grabbed the Claremont express in memory of Bill, and it did not disappoint. Usually conditions deteriorate after the first 25 miles as that’s where the groomers turn around, but not this time. The first 50 miles were all brand new groomed and in perfect shape, not a bump in it anywhere. Then there’s some reroute off of 83 and uses some of the 383 which is the worlds craziest twisty tourney trail , I think 1000 turns per mile, my arms are falling off. 

The last 20 miles of the 83 are into Chicoutimi are the same as always and were groomed absolutely picture perfect all the way to the hotel in Chicoutimi. Again very light traffic but very very awesome conditions. 238 of the easiest miles you would ever ride aside from the grippy trail which took some decent arm strength, but no complaints.

The new way adds about 12 miles as you veer quite a bit away from the old 83. If you look close you can see a lot more logging has happened, also additional neighborhoods, additional cell towers and camps that were never there. Civilization is encroaching . No worries I think they will be good for a while and this is a great ride where you don’t have to spend a ton of time in the truck. 

A very different ride has compared to our off trail excursion last time out. But our nerves needed to rest. Period at the end of our last excursion spending 45 minutes fishing one of the sleds out of a beaver pond drained us and we needed an easy ride this time. It will take a few beers and a lot of coaxing for anyone to get that story out of us, for now it never happened.

all of the locals have had more than enough of Covid and are very happy to see and visit with people even if you wear a mask. We found the trails well marked and in perfect condition and gas has gone up about $.25 a liter from even two weeks ago, bummer but it won’t stop us.

Dinner was order on your phone and walk over and pick it up at Le Cage Au Sports, very easy and super good food.  Beers from the gas station,  (Who knew Budweiser came in 40 ounce bottles) and Captains from Vermont, nothing else needed.

E782F1DE-FF22-4E26-8A0F-FEEBC9B06157.jpeg

C6F8C5A7-3BEA-45AF-B855-C5CD65564C0B.jpeg

3442366A-3200-4B6F-BA08-6B664490A99D.jpeg

3C7318A2-163A-4264-9EF8-1B8C3DFC1CD8.jpeg

6DAD52D2-B015-4CA6-9ED3-CB3244F45E99.jpeg

BFF2237D-AFBB-4473-A882-80068A231A0F.jpeg

E0211F04-5C33-4B19-816C-7E110D476DC5.jpeg

C78BB50F-56FE-4F93-8E2D-86985C906CF3.jpeg

10E88C81-84F6-4387-B2D1-4776556607D4.jpeg

7CFDA34D-6669-4A4A-BE9D-F56C1358E782.jpeg

9C1FD19E-4775-4D9D-8B4F-0E0AD50024C4.jpeg

94045EE5-79EC-4529-8AAC-5F9360A7720E.jpeg

206052A7-E4AB-4826-AA3A-662555E1C3C1.jpeg

CE4E39F2-6B60-4909-88A7-C2D38825EEB5.jpeg

We had the communicators on for the day, great tool in certain applications. While riding the 2 mile tree section rollers on route 3 there are a few big rollers you hit at a pretty good speed.

Randy was ahead of me on a big one and I asked him as we were tooling along how far did he think we could go if we hit it at full speed. Without hesitating he said I would go to heaven, yup, that’s pretty dam far.

Pissed myself thinking about his response for the remaining 100 miles to the hotel. 

28 minutes ago, markusvt said:

We had the communicators on for the day, great tool in certain applications. While riding the 2 mile tree section rollers on route 3 there are a few big rollers you hit at a pretty good speed.

Randy was ahead of me on a big one and I asked him as we were tooling along how far did he think we could go if we hit it at full speed. Without hesitating he said I would go to heaven, yup, that’s pretty dam far.

Pissed myself thinking about his response for the remaining 100 miles to the hotel. 

Love this. 

I find the radios now that i use them awesome and feel like i am missing something when i ride without them. 

Up for breakfast at 7:00, currently -12F.  Breakfast was in a bag from the counter but pretty darn good, (no comparison to La Cage Au Sports).  It warmed to -8F by the time we left.  We gassed the night before so we were good to go.  The wind had howled through the night and it always does up here and blew the 1 inch of fresh snow into some pretty good drifts in the first few fields heading east on the 83 to the 368.  83 was in great shape.  368 had been groomed end to end and the fresh snow made some great riding all the way to the 23.

The 23 had been fresh groomed and had 4 inches of new snow on it.  What an awesome trail all the way to Le-Tape, (can we turn around and do it again).  They keep it wide, smooth, brushed edge to edge.  It was perfect.  Mont-Apica was open with a few sleds outside but we did not need any gas so we continued on.  Now it was more like 6 inches of fresh on the trail. The trail was great until we crossed the road and rode the last few miles to get gas at Le-Tape.  The food court was Mont-Apica was open but you had to stand at the counter in the store to eat anything, no biggie.

We decided to go 23 into St-Raymond as we had not taken that trail in several years.  Elevation in some spots here is over 3000 feet and the fresh snow on the trail is a solid 8-10 inches, whoo hoooooo!

Awesome conditions until 5 miles out then a bit bumpy.  We met the groomer heading north at 15 miles out of town.  20 miles out of town we came on a dead rental sled in the trail.  We stopped, moved some snow and tossed it off the trail out of the way.  With the fresh snow and dust we didn't want anyone plowing into it as visibility was a bit challenging all day.

As has been said here before no gas at the Rougemont anymore.  Place was rocking with sleds, trailers and people EVERYWHERE.  Glad we are heading OUT.  If you need gas jump on the 73 towards Quebec City for 1000 feet, take a right on the side trail to gas, (2KM).  McDonalds, 2 gas stations, food, stores, everything you need.  

73 from here on is railroad bed to fields into Quebec City.  Railroad bed was pretty whooped up which was fine with us. We had done some shock re-valving at home and needed to check it out!  The fields were fine and we slid in before 3:00PM after getting a late start with another 230+ on the odometer.  

The miles and trips are going well for us.  Its so nice to back in snowmobile country.  Quebec has the trails, the snow and the best people anywhere, it has been great to get back and visit with out friends!

EFD4D59C-2EA0-4140-BBE2-20D3D989E26D.jpeg

27AB8B53-20DF-4820-A653-F32775F9C29C.jpeg

ADB45256-8345-4D62-9BDB-556808793ED9.jpeg

50D7BEE1-D076-4DC8-B336-540B080002B9.jpeg

E04A21F0-C528-4C54-8DFC-02E2ECF9E8A4.jpeg

Edited by markusvt

Great news. Another fine day in QC. I remember being at the Rougemont (??) several times but never stayed there. Was there not a gas station (Artic Cat) something right next to the parking lot ? I have fond memories of a lot of these places from years gone by but will most likely never see them again. I've turned into a recluse "bush trail" rider. Wont find me anywhere near Quebec City, St Raymond, Roberval, Valdor etc...

If I'm not "in the bush" I'm just not happy. I go to Quebec to get away from it all....and I mean "away from it all". Now this certainly has it's disadvantages but for me it works. Most of the time. And with places like "Camp de Base" in Casey, Haltaparche, Andre's camp, etc... and the new "technology" at all of them I feel much safer in my journeys. Told the wife the other night....."no more solo shit" for me........"I'm done" with that....got lucky all those years and too old to chance it anymore. 

So happy for EVERYONE that monday brings an ease to these restrictions and everyone can eat inside again. Never knew a club sandwich could literally freeze solid in under two minutes outside. LOL

10 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Great news. Another fine day in QC. I remember being at the Rougemont (??) several times but never stayed there. Was there not a gas station (Artic Cat) something right next to the parking lot ? I have fond memories of a lot of these places from years gone by but will most likely never see them again. I've turned into a recluse "bush trail" rider. Wont find me anywhere near Quebec City, St Raymond, Roberval, Valdor etc...

If I'm not "in the bush" I'm just not happy. I go to Quebec to get away from it all....and I mean "away from it all". Now this certainly has it's disadvantages but for me it works. Most of the time. And with places like "Camp de Base" in Casey, Haltaparche, Andre's camp, etc... and the new "technology" at all of them I feel much safer in my journeys. Told the wife the other night....."no more solo shit" for me........"I'm done" with that....got lucky all those years and too old to chance it anymore. 

So happy for EVERYONE that monday brings an ease to these restrictions and everyone can eat inside again. Never knew a club sandwich could literally freeze solid in under two minutes outside. LOL

yes right next door is a articat and yamaha dealer.  good memory. 

I remember back when I used to think Casey was in the bush. 😉 With the Province covered in snow you can literally plan a trip most anywhere now with no worries and be as adventurous as you want. ✌️Having racked up quite a few miles already this season in Quebec and none in Quebec last year we are continually surprised how much things have changed in the past 2 seasons.  We have come across lot's of logging in very remote places but with the cost of lumber it's like they are mining gold or diamonds these days. With restaurants opening at 50% Monday things are going to be as normal as you are going to get this season.  Guys that got the random COVID test 2 weeks ago or more now still have no results.  Someone up there has to know the program has been an epic failure.😜

10 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

1 hour ago, markusvt said:

Love that Loop. I've done a similar Loop many times about 750 -800 Mi? Great report, thanks!

On 1/28/2022 at 9:47 PM, markusvt said:

20 miles out of town we came on a dead rental sled in the trail.  We stopped, moved some snow and tossed it off the trail out of the way.  With the fresh snow and dust we didn't want anyone plowing into it as visibility was a bit challenging all day.

Thank you!