God …I love this S;$T

snowmaster2112

We really noticed one cold day, the no warm up thing on our trip.  When you travel from 8am-4pm and can't get in a warm place except to pay for gas and out it is not the best. That was only one day though, the others we always found a place they would let you at least stand around or sit and warm up for a bit. 

As Bob said even that one cold day was way better then working!

well.....I finally "paid the price" on this last trip. Once again being my own "worst enemy" led to a "shit show" final ending of the ride. I spent the last night in Casey while the boys forged on to Kanawata for the night instead of the camp. We all made it back home safely LATE friday night but my beloved Enduro is sitting behind a shed in Casey right now. 

I'll post the last days events sometime later today after I recover from my Jack Daniels late night binge. It was pretty bad. I wish they wouldnt sell that stuff so cheap at the Duty Free store. 

Being back home safe and sound is all that really matters in the end. The rest are just material things to be worked out. At least I still have the common sense to not let one of the above things happen on a trip.

That bottle was full last night at 8 pm

D66DCDFC-18A9-4A91-AB3E-DB204AC10730.jpeg

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

well.....I finally "paid the price" on this last trip. Once again being my own "worst enemy" led to a "shit show" final ending of the ride. I spent the last night in Casey while the boys forged on to Kanawata for the night instead of the camp. We all made it back home safely LATE friday night but my beloved Enduro is sitting behind a shed in Casey right now. 

I'll post the last days events sometime later today after I recover from my Jack Daniels late night binge. It was pretty bad. I wish they wouldnt sell that stuff so cheap at the Duty Free store. 

This sounds ominous!

Well the trip didn’t end up quite as planned. We left Haltaparche around 10am and everything seemed normal up to the east side Gouin junction. A couple miles or so past there I look down at the dash and temp is reading 189 and climbing. I shut in down expecting the usual 20 lbs of ice blocking the heat exchangers. Hmmmm....no ice. About then you can hear the coolant bottle boiling over and see it puking out. This ain’t good. After a minute or so Andre says...mon ami ...looks at your front air vent. Was completely blocked over with ice. Obviously my bad for not noticing/checking it before we left. At this point I clear that out and hope I didn’t lose enough coolant that it would be ok till I got somewhere to top it off.

after starting up again after a cool down I take off and instantly see the temp is not dropping like it should while running. Here we go again....

at this point Andre is heading back to Haltaparche to get some coolant from Jean-Guy. We try and add some and retry on the trail. Same thing with temp creeping up but seems it takes longer. At this point the sled has gone into overheat twice on the dash and I think the highest I remember seeing it was 244. I shut it down as soon as I’m over 200 but it continues to get hotter sitting there. We finally make it out to the plowed road section after a cool down and it seems like it’s holding temp better. We add some more coolant to the bottle and I run it up and down the road 6-8 times and it seems perfect now. I was figuring it air locked with spilling over and us adding. At least that’s what it seemed. What I failed to mention was earlier on the trail in between cool downs and adding coolant the “engine oil” light comes on. Dipstick is showing nothing. WTF....here again me being complacent. Light never continued to stay on so I figure I’m down a full quart or more. 

We decieded to carry on towards Casey where I would get some oil and we would be good to go. Nice thought but not happening. Things were good first 3-5 miles then started overheating again. We still had more coolant and Andre rides up into Casey and returns with a full quart of Mobil 1 0/40 

pour that in and carry on after a cool down. Instantly over heats again.

thats it.....get out the rope. Towed me the last 3-4 miles into Casey by the Ranch house on the main drag. At this point we had to make decisions as the sled can’t continue on. They go to Kanawata for the night and I spend the night with Yves, Gina and her brother Mark. Great people and great times had there with them. Yves has been coming to Casey since he was a kid as his dad built a camp near there in 1962. He’s a wealth of information about Casey and the surrounding area. 

When the guys took off for Kanawata I tried the sled up and down the road and now it won’t go over 5K rpm and wants to overheat. Probably a head gasket at the least and wouldn’t be surprised if more damage to head. After adding another quart in Casey can barely see on dipstick. I can’t believe this sled ate that much oil in 1500 miles this season and I thought I checked it before I left. My bad again for not checking it anywhere along the trip.

so I got a ride out of Casey with the ever cool dudes Martin & Hugh but they didn’t have room for my sled. They had two beautiful Expedition Extremes in their trailer. It was -44 Friday morning in Casey with Blue Sky. Trucks were even not starting. It was slow going.

so the old girl is sitting by the shed at the ranch house. If your in the area stop by and give her a slap on the ass for me. She will probably be there awhile. Might not get her until March when Quebec Bob and I go up.

When we we leaving Matawin Saturday afternoon (hardly anyone there) I see this guy sitting on his sled besides the gas station and this (what I thought) was some law enforcement type guy standing next to him writing stuff down on what looks like a ticket book. 

He went back into his truck so I walked over to the guy to ask what kind of trouble he got into. Turns out his two other buddies are up in the woods 6 miles out staying with another guy that whacked a tree. Only appears his leg is broken (lucky) and when we were pulling out the emergency sled and tabaggon arrived.

43C90FFE-F9C4-4682-9A31-0E631220F6C0.jpeg

20,000 km.  That's not that much for that motor.  First one I've heard of with motor issues.  You think a snow plugged rad caused it to overheat and burn the head out leading to loss of oil?  Or other way around with loss of oil from another issue coincidentally happening at the same time as your off trail adventure leading to overheating?  One thing with the reliability of that engine there should be used motors available in the marketplace from wrecks.  That really sucks that your trip ended in that fashion.

1 minute ago, Signfan said:

20,000 km.  That's not that much for that motor.  First one I've heard of with motor issues.  You think a snow plugged rad caused it to overheat and burn the head out leading to loss of oil?  Or other way around with loss of oil from another issue coincidentally happening at the same time as your off trail adventure leading to overheating?  One thing with the reliability of that engine there should be used motors available in the marketplace from wrecks.  That really sucks that your trip ended in that fashion.

I'm guessing the lack of air flow and possibly more ice and snow inside around the radiator caused the overheat and blew a head gasket or more. The engine was never knocking and I cant believe the low oil light is set that low as to allow all that loss before going off. My bad on both issues. I was pushing that sled too hard all last week in conditions it wasnt designed for. And my complacentnes didnt help along the way.

12 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Even a shot of NITRO FUEL couldn’t set her right for the return home.

The old girl just had ENOUGH!!!!

Since her arrival, she has given you some incredible memories that will last a lifetime!!!!!! Real curious on the off-season diagnosis and revival.

19 minutes ago, Blueblood said:

snowmaster do you have a backup sled?  don't recall you ever saying you did.  I'm sure a fix is being put in place so u can still ride the rest of the season.   

Unfortunately not but Quebec Bob has my back covered for our March run. Yves in Casey is going to try and find someone to drop it off at the dealer in La Tuque soon. 
I guess i didn’t know that Casey was not road accessible in the winter until about 7 years ago. Explains why you would go through there years ago and see virtually no activity. Now on any given weekend there are 20+ trucks there. I’m going to authorize the dealer 2 hrs to come up with a diagnosis and go from there.

in any event I could drop it off at Markusvt”s house with 200 bucks on the seat and he’ll have it ready for me the next weekend…..LOL 

11 hours ago, Signfan said:

That's not that much for that motor.  First one I've heard of with motor issues.  

Luv ski-doo brand. Have purchased 13 new ones since 1990. Purchased that same enduro with the 1200  2016 year.

First few ride experiences all good. Found out fast she is not a blizzard conditions runner. Air intake vent would plug result in bog. Electronic throttle flapper would get snow packed behind it and would restrict movement. Won't even bring up the reverse issues. Then it happened last day of a 1400 mile trip with 90 miles to the barn it eats a valve 4,200 miles on the odometer.

Like I have posted on here before Rotax 1200 is Junk. I believe  for 2018 models It was dropped. The 900 ACE with turbo now The Rotax replacement.

Snowmaster sorry for your loss. Myself not so surprised. You are a runner keep up the pace !

Good news is Quebecbob will have a backup.  

4 minutes ago, Snohorse said:

Luv ski-doo brand. Have purchased 13 new ones since 1990. Purchased that same enduro with the 1200  2016 year.

First few ride experiences all good. Found out fast she is not a blizzard conditions runner. Air intake vent would plug result in bog. Electronic throttle flapper would get snow packed behind it and would restrict movement. Won't even bring up the reverse issues. Then it happened last day of a 1400 mile trip with 90 miles to the barn it eats a valve 4,200 miles on the odometer.

Like I have posted on here before Rotax 1200 is Junk. I believe  for 2018 models It was dropped. The 900 ACE with turbo now The Rotax replacement.

Snowmaster sorry for your loss. Myself not so surprised. You are a runner keep up the pace !

Good news is Quebecbob will have a backup.  

Man Snohorse that is crazy what happened to yours with that low of miles. I sure hope it was under warranty. If not what did you wind up doing with it?? You hear of so many people having mostly trouble free high milage sleds but there certainly are exceptions. I will say this....none of my 800's ever made it over 8K without grenading and one was the crank which thankfully I had warranty on.

I would hate to part this sled out but depending on whats wrong and how much time and money it's going to take it might be the only sane alternative. Can't throw good money at bad.

Sledmaster Yeah that is always a dilemma how much money to repair a toy.  Lucky for me the motor blew on my 2nd year of a 4 year warranty. Had it done at the dealer in St Ray. Fixed in one week I think BRP was so embarrassed they charged me Zero $ not ever a deductible as usual. Sold it with around 8000 miles. Back to two stroke.   2018 Backcountry X 850. Blew that motor on  first day of my first trip of 3rd year warranty around 9000 miles. Dealer in Dolbeau where I rented a sled for two days while they dropped a short block in it. Continued the planned trip. Yes It did cost $,  under $100 us dollar. I agree with the saying " ticking time bomb " For me 2 stroke is where the Fun Factor is !

Best of luck to you however you decide. Fortunately you have a good circle of friends on site.

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

Sold my 2012 GSX in 2019 with 20,500 miles on her, trouble free. Got $3000 for her

Had that exact same sled also. loved it ! Had the 800R. Recall on pistons. Had a spring check 4 yr warranty with it. For the beginning of the third season I brought to dealer for free pistons. They said I had to have 3000 miles that is when I said I have 10000 miles. They said OK. Ran two more seasons before I sold It with 18000 miles  for over $5K. Original Ice Ripper track. All Quebec miles 100%. Then I bought the Enduro 1200   2016 model year.

Just going to say. You never know till you do it !

1 hour ago, Snohorse said:

Had that exact same sled also. loved it ! Had the 800R. Recall on pistons. Had a spring check 4 yr warranty with it. For the beginning of the third season I brought to dealer for free pistons. They said I had to have 3000 miles that is when I said I have 10000 miles. They said OK. Ran two more seasons before I sold It with 18000 miles  for over $5K. Original Ice Ripper track. All Quebec miles 100%. Then I bought the Enduro 1200   2016 model year.

Just going to say. You never know till you do it !

I'm literally speechless hearing your story Snohorse. 

18K on a 2 stroke w/new pistons at 10K and a 1200 that grenades at 4K 

You would almost call bullshit on this but I believe you 100%

Just goes to show you......it's the luck of the draw.

So the 2012 800R was obviously an E-tec right ?

My 2011 800 E-tec let go (crank failure) with 78xx miles in between Amos and Matagami. What a shit show that turned out to be.

Edited by snowmaster2112