17 day ride Quebec Rider West Gathering

Andyman

Feb 2/12

Started the trip by driving to Bathurst and doing a local loop out to Governors of 145 miles while waiting for the last member of our ride to finish his official duties.

Feb3

The day started great and we headed out in great conditions toward Cabano our intended first overnight. There is an old saying “things go along like this for a while then they get worse” well that describes our afternoon. We were riding west of Kedgwick heading for Moose Valley under a beautiful sunny sky when the 1100 Turbo took a turn for the worse. The engine shut down just like you hit the kill switch and the starter engaged!!! We tried everything to cut the power to the starter including removing every single relay and fuse and it still cranked until the battery died! Let me tell you that sled had a good battery as it cranked nonstop for over 10 minutes. So we towed the sled back to The Restigouche Chalets and started to make phone calls for pickup and delivery of a replacement sled. This process took until the wee hours of the next day to complete with 2 riders bunking down in Edmundston as the TQ 85 is closed after midnight and the other 2 of us in Cabano. 278miles for the day.

Feb4

Well at 7am in roll the lads with a replacement sled already to hit the trails. We head west on TQ35 to Tourville for a nice breakfast then west to Pont Rouge for a 266 mile day. This day also included a visit to the Doo dealer in Montmagny to solve a code issue on my sled and a reverse lever problem on smclelan’s sled. The dealer was super helpful taking a part off a new sled to complete the repair after they were officially closed!

Feb5

Headed out early only to find my battery dead and the start of my next problem. We boosted the sled and away we rode thinking it would charge, NOT. We pulled into St Michel des Saint and found the Doo dealer open on a Sunday and I bought a new battery and installed it in the yard. Problem solved and away we ride to Meekos to meet Timbo and Thad. 310 miles for the day on good trails. We saw one very bad crash scene and we wondered how the rider faired near La Macaza.

Feb6

We leave Meekos and head to Rabaska to meet Snowfarmer and Lindasled girl and Richard. Well they don’t show so off we head to Clova via the Lepine Rd. Snowfarmer and company show up shortly after our arrival in Clova and we all settle in for a great night of laughs. 175 miles today.

Feb7

We ride to Senneterre under sunny skies for another 175 mile day staying at La Bell Villa. Superb conditions all day.

Feb8

Snowfarmer and company head west in the morning and we set off for Chibougamau for a 220 mile day on excellent trails again. Minor tech issue with my fuel gauge always reads empty!

Feb9

We head to La Dore on table top trails and find the sawmill with gas but very little activity as far as logging. About 30 miles north of town we have a major problem as 2 of our riders had a rear ender. No one injured but 2 banged up sleds. We tow one to St Felicien and proceed to make the 2 sleds trail worthy again. It is obvious that we need to get rooms as we are there until the next day. With the 2 sleds ready to roll again we have a nice meal and relax for the evening. It was also here that 2 riders had to head east without us as they have work commitments at home. 195 mile day.

Feb10

We head out in the morning toward Mont Valin and experience some high winds and drifts near the lake but overall great riding all the way to Les Escoumins with a 247 mile day. One point of interest we have seen very few sleds and it is dead here at Les Es.

Feb11

Short day to Baie-Comeau stayed overnight at La Comte. Great trails and the new bridge is awesome. The relais west of Baie-Comeau is no more as it is a private residence now. However there is a relais closer to town that was a horse race track.

Feb12

Riding to Sept Isle as I need a dealer as I have no charging system. It is a cold beautiful day on tabletop trails.

Feb13

I get in to the dealer when they open and they diagnose the problem as a charging relay and of course they don’t have one but after much searching we find one on a demo Summit and after the install I am on my way. We ride east to the Moise River area and spend the night in Sept Isle again. 115 miles.

Feb 14

We ride to Godbout and take the ferry staying overnight in Matane 130 miles.

Feb 15

Matane to Cabano 185 miles good trails.

Feb16

Rode to Grand Falls Nb then Serpentine for a couple of nights.

Feb17

Local riding northern NB

Feb18

Up early say goodbye to Alyre and back to the Host with 3360.7 miles or 5407 km for the trip.

A great trip with some super people.

Andy

post-14-0-91432300-1329680294_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-70679700-1329680309_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-08192800-1329680322_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-06777000-1329680339_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-76546100-1329680373_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-63159200-1329680383_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-90565100-1329680397_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-04253700-1329680414_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-17574200-1329680429_thumb.jpg

Andy

Great report! Sometimes things just don't seem to go right. We have all been there.......

Was the initial intent of this trip to go west (Ontario)?

Regardless, you can't beat 17 days of riding!

Hi Scranton1

Yes our intention was to go to Ontario but the conditions didn't permit us to do the loop we wanted so we went to plan B the Cote Nord.

Andy

Hi Scranton1

Yes our intention was to go to Ontario but the conditions didn't permit us to do the loop we wanted so we went to plan B the Cote Nord.

Andy

nice trip!!! so who doesn,t know where the brake lever is ????

Hi Scranton1

Andy

And "B" stands for BETTER sometimes ! Ya gotta go with the flow

Hi Andyman,

So looks like everybody had there share of fun, glad to see I'm not the only snowmobiler that has problems lol but all and all you guys made it work that's what it's all about good.gif looks like you guys and ladies had a good time that's what matters . Great pics i'm headed out on wednesday " quebec " of course. Will report when i get back !!!!! drinks.gif

CrazySnow !!!!!!

Nice report Andy, sounds like you had a trip like we did a month ago. Sometimes to get through these trips it takes a little luck alot of experience and some help from the good Quebecois. Also some times helps to recall some old McGyver episodes :search:

Nice warm up Andy. When do you leave for the REAL ride? :yahoo::p Glad it was a safe ride. I am jealous!