19 Day Ride Riverview NB-Hearst On and back. 6743km/4190 mi

Andyman

I am happy to say that we made it home safely last evening from the longest sled trip I have ever taken. We left home Sat Jan 31st and rode everyday for 19 days for a total of 6743 km or 4190 miles, this is like driving your car from Moncton Nb to Los Angeles then turning north and driving up to Oregon. We rode up through northern NB and into Quebec crossing the St Lawrence river at Quebec City. Then north to Lac St Jean and then in a westerly direction through Parent ,Clova and on to western QC and the Abitibi region.

After passing through western QC we entered Ontario at Cochrane and continued our journey west to Hearst ON. We had hoped to turn at Wawa but there were some very large groups in excess of 40 sleds taking all the motel rooms up! Heading south we travelled through New Liskeard and North Bay then east through Mattawa,Petawawa,Pembroke south of Ottawa and through Alexandria and back into Quebec near Montreal. We crossed the St Lawrence under our own power on a draw bridge which was a first for us as we always had to take a shuttle or ferry on previous trips.

Travelling south of the St Lawrence we made our way through Sorel and Thetford Mines and on to Cabano. Then back into Nb and visited our old friend Alyre at Serpentine Lodge​. The trip home through NB yesterday was very challenging as there were many sections that had not seen any traffic since the blizzard. Old guys like us don't do well digging 600 lb sleds and gear out of drifts!LOL But in the end we made it home and very happy to report only a couple minor off trail excursions and no injuries.

The sleds started every day in temps down to minus 35 and with the exception of my sled chewing idler wheels due to the cold and very hard trails and the fact I am running studs we had zero mechanical issues.I would like to mention how much I appreciate the support we received from my wife Lisa Perrin​ and the Quebecrider members we contacted and of course all the clubs along the way especially my home club SENBSA and the rest of the Nb clubs for opening as many trails as they have under very difficult conditions. After some rest and sled maintenance I will see you on the trails!

I don't have very many pics because who wants to take their gloves off at minus 30!!! This report isn't detailed for you sledders as to trails etc as it is a cut and paste from FB. If anyone wants any specific info just drop me a note.

Andy

post-14-0-48997900-1424351483_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-65426500-1424351495_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-73526500-1424351525_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-63131600-1424351542_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-43500000-1424351565_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-51888800-1424351580_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-03309400-1424351601_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-27744600-1424351625_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-86821700-1424351647_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-24143400-1424351667_thumb.jpg

You're a true diehard Andy that is a lot of distance you covered in one ride, congrats to you and your crew.

Happy to hear the drawbridge worked out for you, generally in the past few years there hasn't been enough snow for groomed trails south of the bridge, however this year just before you were passing through we had a few snowfalls which put that area in shape.

Pic 7....It just isn't a successful trip unless someone stuffs it. LOL

Soooo jealous

JG

Edited by Trailblazer

I remember "Farmerold" telling me that he and his wife (years ago) went west and back not sure how far west and what route they took.

Maybe he can chime in with that story....that is a once in a life time trip!!

it was great to spend a nite with you and mubs at 100 lacs. ... dam was it cold that am !!! that pic number 7 , sled going right , arrow saws left. ha ha ha !!! dave and myself are going wandering next week , south of the river . see you at the gathering ed.

BJ, did you finally buy a new sled???

mike

Mike,

Can't get off the old 600 motor. Just rebuild shocks, all bearings in skid, hyfax, chaincase oil, cleaned carbs...runs like a top.

Only 5000 miles on it as I was on sabbatical due to neck surgery....figure I'll have a new one within 5000 more miles.

No issue with the $$$, just love the sled and the reliability.

900 ACE renegade tops the list but a little skiddish about the top end.

Hope to see you soon mike. Prob late February early March and a late march trip. Unfortunately my 5 yr olds birthday is the 14 so I can't make the gathering

BJ

Andy,

Just curious how accurate the expense formula of $1 per mile traveled corresponded to a trip of this magnitude!

Surprisingly it's been fairly accurate for us.

May need an actuary to reconfigure with the ACE...LOL

BJ

Hi BJ

I haven't sat down and calculated exactly how much this trip cost but for me I know it will come out welll under the $1 per mile with the fuel consumption of this sled. At some gas stops I took up to 60% less than others. If I had only put the ice ripper on before this trip I would not have wasted so much money buying idler wheels at the various Doo dealers! LOL The sled has almost 6000 miles and still on the original belt, You can't ride at 80 mph all day but if you like to ride like we do slow and steady you can do some pretty impressive numbers with these little Doo's.

Andy

Great trip Andy!! I see from the picture of Mr Mugs sled behind the chevron, he did not follow Diesel's Rule #3; do not hesitate!!

I will be up for couple beer and hear of your adventure....after I get home from mine.

You leave Monday?

Andy

Andy,

Just curious how accurate the expense formula of $1 per mile traveled corresponded to a trip of this magnitude!

Surprisingly it's been fairly accurate for us.

May need an actuary to reconfigure with the ACE...LOL

BJ

BJ

You made me curious so I just added everything up. Looks like around the 75 cent mark per mile this includes lodging,meals,7 idler wheels ,Ont pass $140, fuel, shuttle on the way out, and our daily ration of Coors Lite! LOL

Andy

Pic. Mubs had to dig that dam camera out! LOL

post-14-0-05624300-1424434624_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-80843400-1424434682_thumb.jpg