Passport renewal

EastMark

33 minutes ago, EastMark said:

Just pulled out the passports. Wifes expired 2 weeks ago.

Can we update it and pay the fee at the border itself tomorrow when we cross ?

Least painful option ?

Things may have changed .....but a few years back wife and I were going to Toronto for a summer concert.

when the agent handed our stuff back he politely said “ ma’am ..just so you know your passport expired 6 mos. ago”

i remember looking stuff up when I got home and found something to the effect that a passport is still proof of citizenship. Even an expired one. I highly doubt you’ll be turned away and doubt even more you can renew it at the border as they have nothing to do with it.

57 minutes ago, EastMark said:

Just pulled out the passports. Wifes expired 2 weeks ago.

Can we update it and pay the fee at the border itself tomorrow when we cross ?

Least painful option ?

Play dumb

if they notice it’s expired act surprised.

21 minutes ago, PLAYHARD said:

Are there other states like NY that offer "enhanced" driver's licenses, that are accepted at the border instead of passports?

Whichever solution's best, maybe they'd be more lenient if you flashed a printout of an online application?

Currently, in the United States, the states of Minnesota, Michigan, New York, Washington, and Vermont, offer EDLs. Arizona, California, and Texas are working on implementing an EDL program. In Canada, the provinces of British Columbia, Quebec, Manitoba, and Ontario offer EDLs.

I do remember one time going through customs the agent gave us the quote that David could go snowmobiling but I had to go home.  Reason was I had never signed my passport.  I jumped out of the truck and ran around to his window and said give me a pen. Amazingly he laughed and said you must really like snowmobiling because you really had a scared look on your face. I signed it and away we went. I thing I made his day. 

Correct, I believe the enhanced driver's license will eventually be needed to board a plane and to enter federal buildings.

The only foreign country I enter is Canada and I go via land crossings.  When my passport expired, I was able to save money and just get a passcard, which is only permissible for land crossings and only Canada.

I got one of these several years ago.

I haven't tried to use it yet. It states you can use it to reenter.

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/get-enhanced-driver-license-edl

What is an Enhanced Driver License (EDL)?

An Enhanced license (permit, or non-driver ID) is a New York State DMV issued document that you can use instead of a passport to return to the US by land or sea from Canada, Mexico and some countries in the Caribbean. New York's EDL is compliant with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI). 1 It is not acceptable for air travel between these countries.  We recommend you contact your travel agent, your cruise line or the specific countries of destination to verify your travel document requirements.

An Enhanced license, permit or non-driver ID is Federal REAL ID compliant and is accepted to board a domestic flight (within the US), enter military bases, and certain federal facilities. 

Only US citizens who are residents of New York can apply for a New York State EDL.

I have both and have used both at different times.  The passport going by car and going by boat I only used the enhanced driver's license.  One of the boys that go with us got a pass card and had no problems going by car. Now the enhanced license and pass card we did use before covid.  Only our experience. They are NY State issued and crossing only at customs on Hill Island at the end of rt. 81.

1 hour ago, Bluenose said:

For a US citizen a passport is not required to enter Canada.  Proper photo Id is sufficient.  The problem is a passport is required to return to the US

Or enhanced drivers license will get you back into usa

We are in. Agent reminded us hers was expired. On land ok he said, in airport it must be current. 

LOTS of snow here at Glaciere' in St Zenon. Riders saying trails were "very nice" today. They rode 160+ miles. 👍

Edited by EastMark