Final Trip

Signfan

Planning one final trip.  What's everyone's thoughts on finding the best conditions?  Saguenay (avoiding Mont Valin), Gaspe, Cote Nord running from Quebec City, Northern New Brunswick or Abitibi possibly heading east some and back.  Saguenay was my first thought staging from Saint Raymond but they have less snow then everywhere else.  Forecast is warming up in a lot of areas which has me in debating mode.  Any first hand knowledge on how plowed roads are holding up in some of these areas?

Edited by Signfan

I’m the Gaspe and NB last week. Good snow in Gaspe but nothing like last year.

For snow l would say northern NB the best. Start in Edmunston and head for Moose Valley, spend night at Serpentine lodge and or Island Lake lodge. Could start from RDL possibly.

This week started Tuesday from Shawinigan. Up to Windigo then Otis Nature. Snow is thin around Alma and east end of lake. Very little in the fields. Yesterday rode Mont Valin area, rough choppy trails all day. Paid the surcharge and worst day we had this year. 
Riding 373 today north of Lac St Jean, trails are perfect but not a lot of snow even this far north. Won’t survive warmer weather very long. 

For scenery l would vote Gaspe, for snow conditions New Brunswick 

We are looking to plan the season ender as well.  Valdor to the west has the least snow.  The Valins and around Lac st Jean look skinny.  And above the Saguenay river looks like they dont have much.  New Bruns and Gaspe look like the clear winners.   Im hopefull for a small bag trip from La Cabanon and north that might have less traffic this time of year.  Meekoos, 100 Lacs and that area.

---mac---

Snow_depth_03.10.2023.png

Edited by Mac
format

2 hours ago, smclelan said:

I just got back Sunday from the Gaspe.  It will stand some warm but road crossing, gas stations and hotel parking lots are quite bare now.

Thanks for the heads up. LUV this site ! heading to Matane Saturday to Devour 95% seniters  of Gaspesie !  Just finished Rouski Wheel Kit install.

2 hours ago, 800steve said:

Just got back from a week around Lac St Jean. Saw no lack of snow except in parking lots and gas stops. 1000 miles, 98% good.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_03/20230309_095009.thumb.jpg.9aaa82f843ffa60b4302f2548114cc6d.jpg

How about logging roads?  Where they still snow covered?  I've got no issues beating the carbides over the odd road crossing or parking lot.  It's the 5 km of plowed mud I'm looking to avoid.

45 minutes ago, Signfan said:

How about logging roads?  Where they still snow covered?  I've got no issues beating the carbides over the odd road crossing or parking lot.  It's the 5 km of plowed mud I'm looking to avoid.

The groomers have done a great job pulling snow down onto the roads. Other than road crossings no problem, we saw a lot less logging this trip.

Looks like Saguenay is winning out starting from St Raymond.  Is there much logging on 355?  Was looking at heading up TQ73 and then into Roberval, but looks like the La Tuque groomer is down again.  Is 355 a good choice, or should we run TQ23 up and back?

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

Looks like Saguenay is winning out starting from St Raymond.  Is there much logging on 355?  Was looking at heading up TQ73 and then into Roberval, but looks like the La Tuque groomer is down again.  Is 355 a good choice, or should we run TQ23 up and back?

Went up 355 on Tuesday and down 23 Thursday, both were very good. Some logging on 355, but they have it routed around very nice. Road crossing were terrible. but I think you will find that where ever you go this late.

Anyone riding in Maurice or in Saguenay this week?  I see one clubs trails closing (north side of the lake in the lowlands) which has me worried.  Planning to drive up this weekend and ride next week.  Maybe start north of Shawinigan at Hotel Marrineau Mattawin and do a big 3 day loop.  Was wanting to run 373 and see the new bridges.  Thoughts?  Things holding ok?

Well we're finding a mixed bag.  Elevation counts.  Rode St Raymond to Tadoussac yesterday.  Then Tadoussac to Chicoutimi today.  85% of what we've rode has been awesome.  Up at elevation things are still mid-season.  As you get lower they get hard (or soft depending on time of day).  Borderline needing scratchers.  We rode into Baie St Paul yesterday for lunch.  It was down to mud.  Same thing coming up out of Tadoussac.  Last spot that was terrible was crossing the river and working to get away from Saguenay.  If you can avoid the towns and low elevation there is weeks of riding left.  Trails should be listed as limited at best (arguably closed) in these three areas though.  Ate up a set of carbides for sure.  But hey were riding.   No complaints.  Better than a good day at work by a long shot.  Looking forward to TQ23 again tomorrow.