2024 Jack & Sandi's Trips

revct1

Hi Everyone,

We hope a Merry Christmas was had by all.  We were with family and had a great time eating and drinking and seeing everyone.

Another season of snowmobiling has arrived.  Although the snow gods apparently don't know it.

Sandi and I have been making our annual first trip snowmobiling the week from Christmas to New Year's for over 30 years other than Covid year.  This year we are breaking tradition.  Last year we cut the trip short due to the lack of snow and warm temperatures.  This week we are not going to Quebec to be disappointed again.  After last week's rain, the FCMQ map is very grim.  The Grinch is in the skies holding back the snow and giving us warm temperatures from down south.  Obstacle number 1.  Yuk!

We had been tossing around whether to make the trip or not and the lack of snow is one culprit.  There have also been a few other things that have come up.  I won't bore you with everything but but picture this.  It's the end of October.  I have a small work trailer with a drop down rear door like a snowmobile trailer. The door is open down to the ground and I'm standing on the edge of it with my back to the trailer.  I step to the side and my left foot is caught by the cable that lifts the door.  Down I go face first.  I broke my fall by hitting the ground with the palm of my hands first and then my head.  The hard Irish/Polish head survived but my right arm was pretty sore.  After a week my arm is still hurting and Sandi and my sister talk me into to having it looked at.  I go to a local walk-in clinic that specializes in orthopedics.  The right arm, wrist and elbow are x-rayed.  Sure enough, a compound fracture of the radial head at the elbow.  This is the top of the small bone that connects the elbow with the wrist.  The surgeon looks at the x-rays and says to me, "We will have to replace the radial head.  Lets hope you didn't tear the ligament too.  If you did, that will extend the healing time.  That we won't know until I'm doing the surgery."

So the surgery is done.  Of course I did tear the ligament from the bone up at the bicep.  I now have a piece of titanium that replaces the radial head and an anchor for the ligament that re-attaches the ligament to the bone.  Now up to today.  The brace is off that was limiting my mobility so I didn't tear the ligament again.  I have physical therapy twice a week.  More x-rays and everything is looking good.  When I ask the physical therapist about snowmobiling, she said a big NO.  She said the brace is off and the repair looks good but it isn't 100% yet.  So that is obstacle number two!

Next up.  Back in June, my 2021 Chevy 1500 diesel pick up truck blew the motor at 42,000 miles.  The connecting rod for #1 cylinder put two holes thru the bottom of the block.  I can tell you a long story about that but that was around the same time that the auto workers were on strike.  Yea, parts not available.  Three and a half months later, October 5th, I get the truck back.  Great, we will have it for snowmobiling.  3,000 miles after that, the dreaded check engine light comes on.  Back to the dealer it goes.  The dealer checks it out and it needs a DPF, diesel particulate filter.  The dealer tells me that happens sometimes.  When the motor blows it can contaminate the exhaust system with oil and debris.  They don't have a DPF on the shelf of course.  They order it from the warehouse and yep, it's on back order.  No shipping date available.  They gave me a Malibu for a loaner.  I wonder how well that will pull the snowmobile trailer?  Obstacle number three!

A few other things have happened this past year.  Work and family related.  It has been a long tough year for Sandi and I.  So our plans are to still go snowmobiling but I don't know the time frame right now.  We hope to see some of you either at the Delta Jonquiere or the Universal RDL.

Cheers to the New Year.  I hope it's better than 2023.

Jack & Sandi

Jack so sorry to hear about the health and truck issues. Never a dull moment in life it seems seems like you’re in good spirits which is always the most important thing, you’re a trooper. You’ll be in my thoughts wishing you all the best I’ll be up in RDL probably several times this year so I’m sure will meet up at some point! Not to rub salt in the wound but life lesson, always buy Ford 😉.

All the best 

alex

I'm thinking a two up seat and a bottle of wine for the nerves and hang on. Lol. I'm sure Sandi will take care of you.  

Sorry to hear the obstacles that were thrown at you this year. Glad to hear it’s on the upswing now. Im sure I speak for many hear where we enjoy your sled escapades. I know your stories will come but we all are on standby for winter to show up. 
Stay well

Sorry to hear about all your issues.  I live near you in Windsor Locks.  I am a PA practicing in General Surgery, but once did orthopedics.  That's a crappy injury.  I have a 22 GMC 1500 with the 3.0l Duramax.  37K miles and so far has been flawless.  Which dealer fixed your truck?  If you need anything, give out a shout, I'm right around the corner.

Jim

1 hour ago, Padragon800 said:

Jack so sorry to hear about the health and truck issues. Never a dull moment in life it seems seems like you’re in good spirits which is always the most important thing, you’re a trooper. You’ll be in my thoughts wishing you all the best I’ll be up in RDL probably several times this year so I’m sure will meet up at some point! Not to rub salt in the wound but life lesson, always buy Ford 😉.

All the best 

alex

Hi Alex,

I have to keep my head up looking forward.  Worrying about the past doesn't get anyone anywhere.  RDL is on the list as always.  I'll post when we are heading that way.  January 8th is the week we are thinking about.  I'm leaning towards RDL as opposed to Lac St Jean.

Ford, Ram, Chevy they all break once in awhile.  I just had it worse with the auto strike and dealers don't seem to care about customers like they did years ago but I'm dating myself now.

Jack & Sandi

40 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

I'm thinking a two up seat and a bottle of wine for the nerves and hang on. Lol. I'm sure Sandi will take care of you.  

Hi George,

That two up seat is the living room couch at the moment.  The bottle of wine might be a big bottle of scotch.

Jack & Sandi

29 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

Sorry to hear the obstacles that were thrown at you this year. Glad to hear it’s on the upswing now. Im sure I speak for many hear where we enjoy your sled escapades. I know your stories will come but we all are on standby for winter to show up. 
Stay well

Hi Mike,

It has been a long year.  A lot of unexpected things happened and we are tackling them as they hit us.  The winter season seems to be coming later each year.

Jack & Sandi

13 minutes ago, slimjim2525 said:

Sorry to hear about all your issues.  I live near you in Windsor Locks.  I am a PA practicing in General Surgery, but once did orthopedics.  That's a crappy injury.  I have a 22 GMC 1500 with the 3.0l Duramax.  37K miles and so far has been flawless.  Which dealer fixed your truck?  If you need anything, give out a shout, I'm right around the corner.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The bone grew around the replacement part in about two weeks.  The torn ligament is what is taking so long.  It looks like the ligament has attached itself to the bone now so I'm hoping I'm over the hurdle.

The dealer that I purchased the truck from and has been doing the work is Blasius in Waterbury.  The sales manager that I purchased the truck from I've known for 30 years now.  He has been at different dealerships over the years and I have followed him.

I've done research on the GM forum and I haven't seen much for catastrophic events like this.  Maybe a flaw, air bubble, in a casting or a part that wasn't installed quite right originally.  Who knows.

Jack & Sandi

6 minutes ago, smclelan said:

Wow! Been an eventful year for you guys.  Hopefully the only obstacles ahead are Heavy Snow Fall Warnings! 

Hi Steven,

Snow would be wonderful but not too heavy.  That can bring many more issues.  Just a nice dump of snow once a week would be my pick.  Enough to keep the trails in shape but not so much that we are snowed in or battling drifts and white outs.  Getting too old to fight with Mother Nature.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack and Sandi,

Jack, wishing you well  and hope you are back to riding shape soon. At our age, riding is just a way of earning the late afternoon happy hour.    Hope to see you both at RDL.

I can't stress enough when buying vehicles, appliances etc.   A membership to Consumer Reports on'line is your best friend and can help make a wise decision on an expensive purchase.

Hi Jack will miss riding along with you guy's sat on our sofa between Christmas and new year. Glad to hear your on the mend hopefully we'll see you and Sandi at some point in February,  but if not there's always the following year God willing.....  best wishes  G&P     and here's to a better 2024 ...

Jack, Mini wants to get on the Quebec trails, and who would give him a ticket if was driving his injured uncle around? I've got a 2-up seat on the Mach?

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_12/Mini-Arch-Qc.thumb.JPG.b8fc807d3a25001bd823b3f535e11119.JPG

But his father is LongHair..... you have health and life insurance,  right...????

LOL

Feel Better, we're all waiting for the Snow to show up, so you have the time.

Later

GutZ

Sorry to hear about the injuries Jack.  If anything else at least you know the Irish/Polish head is hard enough to not give in to the obstacles preventing your maiden voyage to Quebec this season.  Albeit a little later than usual. I look forward to your first trail write up when it does happen.  I may not comment on them, but I do always read them in there entirety.  Cheers from George and Shannon. 

On 12/26/2023 at 5:02 PM, mikerider said:

Hi Jack and Sandi,

Jack, wishing you well  and hope you are back to riding shape soon. At our age, riding is just a way of earning the late afternoon happy hour.    Hope to see you both at RDL.

I can't stress enough when buying vehicles, appliances etc.   A membership to Consumer Reports on'line is your best friend and can help make a wise decision on an expensive purchase.

Hi Mike,

Getting back for Happy Hour in one piece is very important.  I'm ready to ride even though my physical therapist prefers me not to.  The season is too short and this year is even shorter with the lack of snow.

If the snow comes, we are thinking about RDL the week of Jan 8th.  Right now it doesn't look too promising.

Jack & Sandi

On 12/27/2023 at 9:56 AM, Snobeeler said:

Wow!, sorry to hear all that. On the bright side could be worse I guess. Good luck coming to you both 2024!

Hi Jay,

Thanks.  I'm hoping for some riding but Quebec needs snow.  The weather isn't in our favor yet.

Jack & Sandi

On 12/27/2023 at 12:19 PM, SnomoGary said:

Hi Jack will miss riding along with you guy's sat on our sofa between Christmas and new year. Glad to hear your on the mend hopefully we'll see you and Sandi at some point in February,  but if not there's always the following year God willing.....  best wishes  G&P     and here's to a better 2024 ...

Hi Gary & Pat,

Our reservations are made at the Delta.  We will be waiting for you.  If my arm feels good enough, tell Pat I might make some fudge!  Looking forward to some good riding.

Jack & Sandi

20 hours ago, GT Rider said:

Best wishes Jack.

Glad the worst is behind you.

May the trails be ready when you are.

Hi Jim & Gemma,

A broken elbow might slow me down but it won't stop me.  The surgeon was very pleased with the way it is healing.  The surgery was Nov 8th so I'm almost back to normal.  Well, whatever my normal is.

Jack & Sandi

17 hours ago, MrGutz said:

Jack, Mini wants to get on the Quebec trails, and who would give him a ticket if was driving his injured uncle around? I've got a 2-up seat on the Mach?

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_12/Mini-Arch-Qc.thumb.JPG.b8fc807d3a25001bd823b3f535e11119.JPG

But his father is LongHair..... you have health and life insurance,  right...????

LOL

Feel Better, we're all waiting for the Snow to show up, so you have the time.

Later

GutZ

Hi Don,

Oh if I'm in the second seat, that is only asking for trouble.  I don't see anything good coming out of that.  Lean?  Which way?  Oops!

Health insurance > I am so glad that Sandi and I are covered.  I would be sleeping on a park bench if I didn't have it.  When I add up what the insurance company has covered for me, it scares me.  I didn't use the insurance much before I was 60 years old.  Just the normal check ups and colds.  But since then, the list is longer than my broken arm.

See you soon.

Jack & Sandi

15 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

Sorry to hear about the injuries Jack.  If anything else at least you know the Irish/Polish head is hard enough to not give in to the obstacles preventing your maiden voyage to Quebec this season.  Albeit a little later than usual. I look forward to your first trail write up when it does happen.  I may not comment on them, but I do always read them in there entirety.  Cheers from George and Shannon. 

Hi George & Shannon,

Good hearing from you guys.  I just called the Universal in RDL.  No snow!  The forecast shows a little snow tomorrow and Saturday but I don't think it will be enough to groom or ride.  It is suppose to stay below freezing which will be good to get the ground froze.  The season is off to a slow start.

Jack & Sandi

Still no big snowfall.  The grooming map shows just part of Mount Valin is open.  The rest of Quebec is in the 5-10 cm of snow if any.  We need to do our snow dance and get Mother Nature back on track. 

We missed our annual trip to Lac St Jean.  The forecast is for cooler temperatures.  Let's hope it brings the snow with it.

Jack & Sandi

Good Morning Jack, sorry to hear about your fall. I myself can see how you went down, I have to clean my shop floor all the time now, for fear of doing the same thing. When we were younger it seems we could dance our way out of these situations? Had elbow repair last year for bone chips and spurs, no way as bad as your mishap, but longest recovery of all the repair jobs I have had over the years. Good luck, and hope to see you two this season.  Steve