Saint Zenon Christmas Ride

mrterceira

4 hours ago, EastMark said:

Tried Hotel Central. “No speaka english. Sorry”  she said and hung up. 🙂

Moulin was booked up. 😞

Did you not try LeCabanon ?  Cant believe with the weather and all they wont have a room. Surely some people are going to bail out.

St Zenon. Never rode there. Got snow. Got a room. Grooming filling in.

Shakedown run. Wife and I will do 100+-175 miles day roughly. Maybe a little more based on conditions. 

Any relais, trails (assuming groomed), food, or sites to see that shouldnt be missed ?

Any good watering holes or restaurants nearby St Zenon for dinner ?

or is Glazier food ok ? No problem taking a little drive if needed.

Loops groomed in RDL too. It looks to be ridable any day now but always fun exploring a new area. 🙂

Edited by EastMark
Numb

Laglacier good is good, Cabanon is much better, the inn on Lake Tureau is top shelve in St Michelle and there are a couple restaurants as well in St Michelle, Cabanon is about 20 minutes from you … 35 or so to St Michelle… when you ride 360 to matawin river shea marineau is a good lunch …dinner spot… about 80 miles… they are busy but the only game around… gas is across the street… Lake Repo is a very nice 100 mile ride… expensive gas… food Id fuel you won’t be dining but it will do after 100 miles

23 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

Laglacier good is good, Cabanon is much better, the inn on Lake Tureau is top shelve in St Michelle and there are a couple restaurants as well in St Michelle, Cabanon is about 20 minutes from you … 35 or so to St Michelle… when you ride 360 to matawin river shea marineau is a good lunch …dinner spot… about 80 miles… they are busy but the only game around… gas is across the street… Lake Repo is a very nice 100 mile ride… expensive gas… food Id fuel you won’t be dining but it will do after 100 miles

I think the Repos has the best food and cheapest gas around

Chicken flavored broth… they are in an important strategic spot… they know it.., and they are getting the most out of it… for most it’s not possible to drive by without getting fuel… and most eat there too… they could certainly do better with the food…,I know they hear it all the time… and in years gone by.., it was considerably better… but that was 3 operators ago… it’s a nice stop and memorable… when it’s cold… it’s a nice stop

Real Masse is supposed to be open on weekends this year.  Always had a good meal there.  You can bypass Repo and head to Manawan.  I haven’t stopped there in quite a few years.  I understand there is a pretty good spot to eat. Not sure of the name. There is gas in town too.

3 hours ago, EastMark said:

Any relais, trails (assuming groomed), food, or sites to see that shouldnt be missed ?

The sights that come to mind are the dam north of town where 33 meets 360.  The bridges that connect 360 to 345 north east of town.  The river run, 360 that leads east towards Mattawin and Marineau’s for lunch is nice. It’s the straw hat zec.  Chapeau de Paille. You may as well head to Koubek’s in the Mastigouche park via 23, also a forest service road similar to the river run.  There is no doubt that heading up to the Repos is going to be one of your day loops. As stated above expensive and not great but a must see if you have never been.  If 63 west of town is open that is a nice run to la macaza, biker bar with subpar food, but the trail makes it worth it. When referring to town I mean Saint Michel Des Saints. SMDS for short.  In general I would say the best riding from La Glaciere is northwest, north, and northeast.  I don’t think I would head south, maybe Alain Towing has a couple other suggestions, it’s his backyard.  Now in return for the intel we expect some pictures…please

12 minutes ago, Je me souviens said:

You have a sick sense of humor. 😂

I heard Snow master was there favorite customer. Really 

6 hours ago, EastMark said:

St Zenon. Never rode there. Got snow. Got a room. Grooming filling in.

Shakedown run. Wife and I will do 100+-175 miles day roughly. Maybe a little more based on conditions. 

Any good watering holes or restaurants nearby St Zenon for dinner ?

or is Glazier food ok ? No problem taking a little drive if needed.

They are still recovering from the storm so you will be in the opening of the trail system, Lionel at La glaciere should be good help. Just to give you an idea, Royaume snowmobile club report Cabanon/Dam #345 closed because power lines were fall in the trail!!!. It is hard to predict what will be open outside St-Zénon/St-Michel. I know Mattawin toward Mauricie is open and had groomed before the storm. Manawan side, trail to Repos is done but farther to Manawan not sure it is...

In the "out of ordinary" Koubec also named as pourvoirie Mastigouche worth it. I also love the restaurant Le vieux moulin a scie in St-Michel des Saint(back of the Central) for the ambiance. The pourvoirie Bazinet souther of Glaciere on #63 have usually a very good meal.

You and Snowmaster will be the trails openers, comeback with details... I myself don't think to be able to find time to ride before the beginning of January.

Royaume snowmobile club report Cabanon/Dam #345 closed because power lines were fall in the trail!!!. ”

This is NOT the news anyone wants to hear. 

Im hoping Quebec’s finest (Hydro Quebec) takes care of it ASAP as usual 

better hope it’s not those big ones west of the M20 junction (outhouse) or it will be closed a long time.

and the trail from Repos to Manawan is NEVErR groomed Christmas week. At least I’ve never seen it. I’m remaining optimistic that they didn’t plow the road north to Kanawata but that might be wishful thinking 

Edited by snowmaster2112

O.K......here's the skinny, the scoop. the low down, the shabizzle...etc...

The power line is down 5km south of the dam. You can see where the groomer stopped. Just spoke with "Michele"  new owner of LeCabanon and he says they reported it yesterday and there are quite a few people around the area without electric. Dont know what part that particular line plays but they are hoping the boys come tomorrow to fix it.

Once again....staying optimistic

unnamed (14).jpg