Zec Martin Valin

Padragon800

Quebec, April 3, 2017

- Members of the Fédération Québécoise des Clubs Quads (FQCQ) will be able to travel free of charge on the federated trails on the zecs without having to pay additional fees. The FQCQ and Zecs Quebec have come to an agreement that will affect quad clubs and zecs throughout Quebec starting in the summer of 2017.

Following numerous meetings throughout Quebec, the two federations and their members agreed on a project favorable to all parties involved. "We are proud of this agreement because it is favorable to ATV riders and zecs managers and also contributes to the development of tourism in the regions of Quebec," said Jacques Smith, president of Zecs Quebec. “The Fédération Québécoise des Clubs Quads is proud of this agreement, which was concluded in the interest of the members of our two organizations.

A concrete advance for off-road tourism in Quebec”, underlined Alain Decoste, president of the FQCQ. From now on, members of the FQCQ must continue to register, but they will be able to travel free of charge on the federated trails that cross the territories of the zecs. This means that when quad riders leave federated trails on a zec, they must pay traffic fees as provided for in the Regulation respecting controlled hunting and fishing zones.

About Zecs Quebec Zecs Québec is a non-profit organization, spokesperson for the 62 zecs for hunting, fishing and outdoor activities. Zecs Québec represents the interests of zecs with various wildlife stakeholders. In a spirit of conservation and enhancement of wildlife, Zecs Québec ensures public access to the territory as well as to the resource. About the Quebec Federation of Quad Clubs The Quebec Federation of Quad Clubs (FQCQ) is a union of 119 quad club associations

Edited by markusvt

Posted on February 8, 2023

Since the beginning of winter, a traffic fee must now be paid at the entrance to Zec Martin-Valin. This new pricing has surprised many people, including snowmobilers who already pay an access fee for the trails.

Whether by car or snowmobile, it now costs $13.46 a day to travel on the territory of Zec Martin-Valin 12 months a year.

The controlled operating zone, located north of Saguenay, defends this new pricing by adding services in winter.

We are not present on the territory, it handicaps a little. We had patrol. More and more, it's becoming natural that we have to be on our territory to provide surveillance and protection. Also, we take care, we are responsible for the maintenance of the road, also, of the F200 , explained Marie-Josée Savard, general manager of the ZecMartin Valin.

Marie-Josée Savard is the general manager of ZEC Martin-Valin.

PHOTO: RADIO-CANADA / ANNIE-CLAUDE BRISSON

The collection of fees stems from the regulations of the Ministry of the Environment, the Fight against Climate Change, Wildlife and Parks (MELCCFP).

So far, about thirty statements of offense have been issued. Offenders face a sum of approximately $400.

The assistant who is hired by the zec, he is accredited by the Ministry, therefore by the Protection of Wildlife directly. He writes his report and submits it to a responsible officer. At that time, it is the agent who deals with the offense as such , detailed Maxime Doré, operations assistant at ZecMartin Valin.

He acknowledged, however, that it is more advantageous for the zecto sell a right of way, while the amount of the fine ends up in the ministry's coffers.

Snowmobilers interviewed by Radio-Canada said they were unaware that they were facing a fine.

We have our snowmobile trail map but we didn't know we had to pay for access to the zec, replied a snowmobiler.

I was not aware, absolutely not , replied another.

If the ZecMartin-Valin admits that she must better inform visitors, the Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) fears a drop in the number of members.

There are even members of the Caribou-Conscrit club who intend to no longer be members because of this situation. They consider that they are members and on a territory which gives right to 33,000 kilometers and why I am charged on a territory which is not maintained by the zec. We are the club that maintains it , said the president of the FCMQ, Stephane Desroches.

The parties involved will continue discussions to avoid additional fees for snowmobilers who use federated trails.

This type of agreement already exists for members of the Fédération québécoise des clubs de quad (FQCQ).

Based on a report by Annie-Claude Brisson

Edited by markusvt

Completely not right to single out snowmobiles

the agreement with Federation Quad Quebec. should be extended to FCMQ

as long as this remains I will not be partaking in any visits here. 

its not about the $$$ its the principle 

Edited by iceman

15 hours ago, iceman said:

Completely not right to single out snowmobiles

the agreement with Federation Quad Quebec. should be extended to FCMQ

as long as this remains I will not be partaking in any visits here. 

its not about the $$$ its the principle 

Absolutely correct!

And the light has been lit to reveal the double standard.

So there is a precedent between Federation Zecs and Federation Quads.  Is Zec Martin trying to leverage FCMQ to come to an agreement by charging snowmobilers this daily fee?  I would think there is a money transaction involved for the permission to cross Zec territory.

We don't know what we don't know and what maybe going on behind closed doors.  For most of us, the season end is approaching fast.  Hopefully we will be better informed before next season starts so we can plan on where we will ride.

Jack & Sandi

On 2/19/2023 at 5:05 PM, markusvt said:

Posted on February 8, 2023

Since the beginning of winter, a traffic fee must now be paid at the entrance to Zec Martin-Valin. This new pricing has surprised many people, including snowmobilers who already pay an access fee for the trails.

Whether by car or snowmobile, it now costs $13.46 a day to travel on the territory of Zec Martin-Valin 12 months a year.

The controlled operating zone, located north of Saguenay, defends this new pricing by adding services in winter.

We are not present on the territory, it handicaps a little. We had patrol. More and more, it's becoming natural that we have to be on our territory to provide surveillance and protection. Also, we take care, we are responsible for the maintenance of the road, also, of the F200 , explained Marie-Josée Savard, general manager of the ZecMartin Valin.

Marie-Josée Savard is the general manager of ZEC Martin-Valin.

PHOTO: RADIO-CANADA / ANNIE-CLAUDE BRISSON

The collection of fees stems from the regulations of the Ministry of the Environment, the Fight against Climate Change, Wildlife and Parks (MELCCFP).

So far, about thirty statements of offense have been issued. Offenders face a sum of approximately $400.

The assistant who is hired by the zec, he is accredited by the Ministry, therefore by the Protection of Wildlife directly. He writes his report and submits it to a responsible officer. At that time, it is the agent who deals with the offense as such , detailed Maxime Doré, operations assistant at ZecMartin Valin.

He acknowledged, however, that it is more advantageous for the zecto sell a right of way, while the amount of the fine ends up in the ministry's coffers.

Snowmobilers interviewed by Radio-Canada said they were unaware that they were facing a fine.

We have our snowmobile trail map but we didn't know we had to pay for access to the zec, replied a snowmobiler.

I was not aware, absolutely not , replied another.

If the ZecMartin-Valin admits that she must better inform visitors, the Fédération des clubs de motoneigistes du Québec (FCMQ) fears a drop in the number of members.

There are even members of the Caribou-Conscrit club who intend to no longer be members because of this situation. They consider that they are members and on a territory which gives right to 33,000 kilometers and why I am charged on a territory which is not maintained by the zec. We are the club that maintains it , said the president of the FCMQ, Stephane Desroches.

The parties involved will continue discussions to avoid additional fees for snowmobilers who use federated trails.

This type of agreement already exists for members of the Fédération québécoise des clubs de quad (FQCQ).

Based on a report by Annie-Claude Brisson

Wait a minute! She's trying to justify the snowmobile passage fee by saying they maintain the road . Lets hold an informal poll here.                           Does anyone on QR know a snowmobiler who uses the road ?                    I'm guessing more ATV's use the road than sleds.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

10 hours ago, revct1 said:

And the light has been lit to reveal the double standard.

So there is a precedent between Federation Zecs and Federation Quads.  Is Zec Martin trying to leverage FCMQ to come to an agreement by charging snowmobilers this daily fee?  I would think there is a money transaction involved for the permission to cross Zec territory.

the FQCQ (quad federation) publish how the right of access fee is spend with percentage for each spent and there's no ZECs fees appearing, I had not found any official sources confirming that it is money involved but some unofficials sources let me think it is possible.

I want to explain a bit why FQCQ have this agreement: first, you shouldn't think that quad riders had it easy, their trail system network began to develop in the 90s and it's just in 2017 they managed to get this agreement with the ZEC federation, more than 20 years later!!! They had the problem with the ZECS every summer, the quad riders had to pay their right of acces in several zecs to arrive at their destination and start over again the next day when returning back home if they sleep on the trip. It terribly limited tourism and the development of their trail network.

To get the 2017 agreement, there were 14 months of intense negotiations between the 2 federations and the Zecs federation had consulted the 30 concerned Zecs (the one that federated quad trails crossed) before reaching an agreement.

In the case of snowmobiles trails, we have been crossing many ZECs since the 70s and the snowmobile clubs had always managed to get along with the ZECs in the last 50 years, until this year with Martin-Valin...it's a first case , it is perhaps normal that it was not at the top of the list of concerns for FCMQ, but that has just changed.

The reason that lead to FQCQ-ZECs agreement also apply to us: federated trails are the main drive belt that transport tourism(read $$$) between regions through all the Quebec province, especially the snowmobile trails in many remote areas but don't expect the FCMQ-Fédération ZECs agreement process to be quick, easy or already win... 

At least actually the cat is out of the bag and sledders are starting to understand what is really going on with this ZEC and the possible impacts on our entire trail system. I hope that the public pressure will lead to some political pressure to support the FCMQ in their requests to solve that issue... I think they will need it.

Edited by towing

1 hour ago, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

Am I correct in saying that this would only affect those riding on trail 373 or off trail riding in the Zec Onatchiway?

PETITION AGAINST THE TARIFFS OF RIGHTS OF WAY ON THE ZECS FOR SNOWMOBILERS WHO USE THE FEDERATED TRAILS - Posted on FB by Auberge du km 31 on February 25, 2023. 

https://www.petitionenligne.com/contre_tarif_zec_dans_sentiers?fbclid=IwAR0wx8wBULDDzQ3WWEEw9qfZmLQSMYJWVuMyejdreHcASrX-Cj43X7ASfyA

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

1 hour ago, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

PETITION AGAINST THE TARIFFS OF RIGHTS OF WAY ON THE ZECS FOR SNOWMOBILERS WHO USE THE FEDERATED TRAILS - Posted on FB by Auberge du km 31 on February 25, 2023. 

https://www.petitionenligne.com/contre_tarif_zec_dans_sentiers?fbclid=IwAR0wx8wBULDDzQ3WWEEw9qfZmLQSMYJWVuMyejdreHcASrX-Cj43X7ASfyA

I just signed the petition.  You can leave a comment with the petition.  When you submit the petition, there are a few more clicks to have your comments listed in the "Signatures" tab.  Most of the comments are from Canadians.  Lets get more Americans to voice their opinion.

Jack & Sandi 

Signed.  
Since we had our itinerary and reservations set for our group of six, we were good boys, followed their rules and paid the fee to pass through the ZEC.  Since we were just passing through for one day, it didn’t break the bank.  If I had known before we had established our itinerary, perhaps I would have rerouted?

Relais la chapelle

· 

Register, so you don't have a ticket

Since November 2022 the Zec Martin-Valin has been officially opened annually for a period of 12 months.

Being in operation, the organization is able to offer users various services including:

Registration, site information, parking, scavenger hunt, angling, territory Air Medic blanket, etc.

Please note that it is possible to register online (24/24) at the following website: https://zecmartinvalin.com/enregistrement-en-ligne , as well as at the reception post (7/7).

All users are required to register and pay the right of traffic.

Attached are the documents to inform users as well as your customers.

If you wish to have the paper documents, you can request it to us through this email operation@zecmartinvalin.com

If you have any questions, please contact us at the front desk: 418-674-9170 (ext 1)

13 hours ago, markusvt said:

I sure hope they have an English version of that. I can get by speaking the french that I have learned in school and especially sledding in Quebec but reading it is another story.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:01 AM, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

Alain Towing

on page 8 of Steeve Hutchins comments: I am the owner of the chapel relay on zec matin valin and I find it deplorable to see customers arrive frustrated and very disappointed telling me this is the last time I will see them because they have got a ticket

Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 10.02.06 AM.png

We will leave Mont Valin to Zec Martin and the back country sleds.  There are many trails we can ride without paying additional fees.  The back country sleds are the ones using the open land of the Zec.  We will step back and let them use it.

Jack & Sandi