New GPS Unit on the way

smclelan

I just ordered a new Garmin Montana 700i GPS.  My Montana 600 started acting funny periodically last spring when mounted on the side by side.  Looking forward to the new unit, it has lots of upgrades from the 600 including LARGER screen size.  One really nice feature of the 700i is the Inreach, and SOS capabilities.   Hopefully will never use the SOS, but the Inreach text gives the option of messaging home when away to say "in safe for the night".  This is handy when staying at remote locations.  You can also send a text saying you are in trouble but not an emergency.   I use my GPS on the sled and side by side so will have lots of different maps loaded on it.  I have already seen the advantage of having multiple maps loaded.

Looking forward to hear you review after some use !

Been using a 700i for past few years. 

love the tracking feature and sending links to people to follow all day. 
love options to send and receive texts.

now that said

i find the screen not super bright in daylight hard to see. 
Did freeze on me a couple times. Even powered in cradle just shut down

mounted on handledbar behind big windshield 

i want to bite the bullet and buy the Garmin Tread Overland or Tread XL (10”) not this year but maybe. 

3 hours ago, iceman said:

Been using a 700i for past few years. 

love the tracking feature and sending links to people to follow all day. 
love options to send and receive texts.

now that said

mounted on handledbar behind big windshield 

i want to bite the bullet and buy the Garmin Tread Overland or Tread XL (10”) not this year but maybe. 

If an when you get the Tread you will need to get the US version if you want ride sharing. Canadian won't work where we ride for that feature. The Canadian will work if in cell area - local coverage. Something about the VHF? rules-laws here that they are not allowed to sell in Canada. I have the Zuma and ordered the antennae from Europe which will allow me to connect for group ride like the US tread. I would love to tell you how it works. Maybe in 2 weeks....

46 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

If an when you get the Tread you will need to get the US version if you want ride sharing. Canadian won't work where we ride for that feature. The Canadian will work if in cell area - local coverage. Something about the VHF? rules-laws here that they are not allowed to sell in Canada. I have the Zuma and ordered the antennae from Europe which will allow me to connect for group ride like the US tread. I would love to tell you how it works. Maybe in 2 weeks....

Interesting about the ride share. 
i think it will be just a bit longer then 2 weeks. 

12 hours ago, iceman said:

I had a Montana 610 for years. Two years ago switched to a Montana 750i. Really disappointed with it. Like Iceman said certain light conditions can’t see the screen at all. Really aggravating . The freezing up is a know issue with them also.

l hope to switch to a Tread at some point.

5 minutes ago, BOBLER said:

I believe the Tread is a little more ruggedized and offers a link between units.

LongHair ran this last year:

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_12/Dash-SD.jpg.9d5497bc2d3f298bd1f8e2f3f432bb57.jpg

Dash-SD.jpg

I picked up a Montana 700 after last season. I got a bracket fabbed & my nephew helped w/ the wiring. Will be an inprovement over my GPSmap64.

889132134_GPSMontana1-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.f5ca377d59627d7a04072ef84ff62a63.jpg

1586149229_GPSMontana2-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.49ec63772f3791740b332ff0f8e69133.jpg

698063117_GPSMontana3-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.7c84fad7af7deb9e881b042344a0fb1e.jpg

1902371512_GPSMontana4-RESIZED.thumb.jpg.b6528ddd67bf3abc37b351bc2bdb355b.jpg

W/ this the glovebox is pretty much useless, but a good place to stow the harness.

17 minutes ago, zrtkat said:

Looks good revrnd 👍 I am m trying to find a way to mount mine on the catalyst problem is there is no room above the Gauge.

Thanks (I couldn't react to your post). I guess had I wanted to I could've attached the cradle to the handlebar. Denis has a Montana 700i on his current sled & I saw it when we were riding w/ him last season. That was the motivation for the upgrade.

Hope you guys are doing well!

Edited by revrnd

Hope to get my Tread upgrade set up in the next few weeks. I understand why so many are going with GPS systems on their sleds. 

It is reassuring to know you can always locate where you are. Makes riding unknown areas and trails more common and even more fun.

Really at this point I would feel naked without it after years of having it. Handy even when on known trails just for locating upcoming known turns and checking miles to different optional gas or lunch stops.

I replaced my Montana 600 with a Garmin GPSMap 276Cx.  The 600 still works fine though the screen seems to get smaller as the years go by.  I like the actual buttons on the new unit vs the touch screen.  It also uses the same cradle as the 600 so it was plug and play.  The 276 does double duty in the summer as the backup on the boat.

I’ve been using a Garmin Tread 8” Overlander  for 1.5yrs. Has all the features that I’m interested in, inreach, tracking, SOS, texting, route planning on either trails or forestry roads etc.and many more. Very easy to view. 
   Was considering the 10” but am more than satisfied with the true 8”. It’s never froze up (always powered in the cradle) and goes inside whenever I’m at.

IMG_4213.jpeg

On 12/30/2023 at 1:01 PM, EastMark said:

Picked up a Garmin Tread Premium with the group tracking to install.

My Montana 600 worked well but was a 4” and this is 5.5” so I’m looking forward to setting it up.

My old eyes aren’t what they used to be. 🙂

why i am running a tread 8" overlander.  i actually had a 5.5 for part of the season last year and the difference between them was huge.  

• 1 month later...

Been running the new Garmin 700i for about a month now in Nova Scotia.   I really like the bigger screen, however I soon saw where in some lighting visibility wasn't ideal.  I set the lighting on Night Mode and found it much better, run it day and night.

The brightness is a known issue I found. Wish it was brighter but Garmin claims it’s a hardware issue. Other than that the unit works pretty good. 

On 2/22/2024 at 7:54 PM, smclelan said:

Been running the new Garmin 700i for about a month now in Nova Scotia.   I really like the bigger screen, however I soon saw where in some lighting visibility wasn't ideal.  I set the lighting on Night Mode and found it much better, run it day and night.

Agree completely on night mode.