Côte Nord ( Les Escoumins)

Mrs.Ice

On the road again... back in the saddle. 🤩

Last year I had an extremely short season due to my injury which healed fine, but it took its sweet time all summer during my paddle board season. 

Anyway here we are finally! Les Escoumins, for some reason I love this area. When you hear ''Oh I'm going on the Côte Nord'', you often think or hear Mont Valin, but there is so much more than there to be explored. 

So as Lover said we left Trois-Rivieres, Monday at 12:30 and got here just in time before the supermarket closes. We hit nice weather to drive up here, was quite a change than the past three days we had at home. Lots of snow, lack of cold. So gotta go ride where it's good during my school break. 

When we plan a trip we have two main goals in mind, look for groomed trails and less traffic as possible. One of my personal goals is to pay attention at the landscape, it's sooo pretty. I know that most people ride for the miles, but I sure look around and I'm so thankful to get to see mother nature's beauty. 

Late morning departure since usually there is a 6-7-8 kind of schedule. I think was close to 9:30. 

We rode to St-Anne de Portneuf for gas, then took a mint local trail. Lover always says that the local trails are the best, I must say that I agree so far. I was scouting the rivers for my summer riding season because we were along the water for a while. On that local trail we cam across a nice little warming hut. (see photos)

I don't know for you, but each season I have to get accustom once again to the whole snowmobile tralala. It takes  me my first day to get comfortable once again. 

Then we stopped at the relais Les Bouleaux for a small snack. 

Most of it was nicely groomed except for one part, which we knew, but now I know I don't like to ride on fluffy snow. 😂 I guess I would not be an off trail candidate. 

We didn't see many people, except once we got close to the relais. 

Oh we saw lots of places where trees were cut down, but it seems like it doesn't compare to Mauricie, Outaouais, and other places hard hit by big snow and wind. Many clubs are struggling to find volunteers to cut all the trees that had fallen and blocking the trails. 

Here you can follow along our ride with the pictures I took today. 

https://www.relive.cc/view/vNOP43YrP2O

Excellent report. I won’t lie I snicker every time you call the big guy lover…. My wife is on the same page as you are.  I definitely like the timeline of the relive app.  Merci bcp.  SVP continue the pictures.  Now that the 6-7-8 is over we can proceed to un petit cinq a sept.

52 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

Looks good from here ! Chenail du Nord looks like no service this winter again, have you heard ? Safe travels to you and Mrs. Ice and thanks for the pics 👍

Have no news on Chenail du Nord. Sorry wish i knew. 

7 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

That sign wouldn't be there after I passed through 

Some have called me the "Sign Bandit" in the past

I only execute when I feel it's not going to screw someone over 

Today was a nice day. Not great for pictures being gray with snow flurries on and off. We rode from Hotel Pel Chat to Coronet in Sacre Couere.

from hotel first few km leaving town acceptable further up better it gets. Rode up past relais Bouleau Blanc did not take TQ3. Local all the way to TQ93. Super nice up there. Then from sawmill there on 93 is scratchy into Coronet. Needs more snow. Same leaving Coronet going down. Needs more snow. Closed to ferry not enough snow. Met a group at Coronet who we saw at Hotel Pel Chat they came on TQ3 from Escoumins and was not fun. 

They were super nice and actually lost as they were trying to get to La Chapelle but ended up at Coronet. First time in area. We talked with them and we waited for them to finish eating. Then off we went us 2 and all of them they were 3 two ups and one solo. So 7 strong that gang. We backtracked up and we showed them the back door to Escoumins and where TQ93 was and the Pel Chat trail so they could go for Chapelle tomorrow. 

We are done here for now. Black trail to Trois-Rivières tomorrow. We will see what happens with the coming rain. Mrs has another week off. We were hoping to go to Matane but not sure that will be until March for her. We will find somewhere to lay some tracks next week. 

Until next time

Well the black trail was white today. White knuckles too, all the way to Beaupre just outside Quebec. Second most fun I had that road. The most fun ride on the 138 to date, still remains trucking with Trailblazer to Forrestville in a storm. Going to meet up with Team Vermont for the Havre St Pierre adventure. The snowy road don’t scare me, it’s everyone else’s driving abilities that does. 

Only an hour longer to come back. Will regroup and ride again. 

Groomer passed home they are filling in and packing. Rivere not safe at La gabelle or in grand mere for the 23. 

This warm up will not help. 

3 hours ago, iceman said:

Well the black trail was white today. White knuckles too, all the way to Beaupre just outside Quebec. Second most fun I had that road. The most fun ride on the 138 to date, still remains trucking with Trailblazer to Forrestville in a storm. Going to meet up with Team Vermont for the Havre St Pierre adventure. The snowy road don’t scare me, it’s everyone else’s driving abilities that does. 

Only an hour longer to come back. Will regroup and ride again. 

Groomer passed home they are filling in and packing. Rivere not safe at La gabelle or in grand mere for the 23. 

This warm up will not help. 

I remember that black road ride as well ...  Whoop !

Excellent two days out of the Pelchat. We are southbound this morning for home, but a nice run to break in a couple new machines.

Day 1 was to Forestville for lunch at the Danube, which is great as usual. Fueled up and back to the Pelchat, short run. Little reroute headed toward Forestville but nothing crazy. 

Yesterday saw us headed to La Chapelle via the 420 but didn’t run it all the way up. We didn’t know what our plans were as the snow was coming down and we got a late start. Took a left and ran to 93. All quick and smooth running…The Turbo R Expedition SE’s have some serious legs over the old 1200 XU machines! Got out to 93 and headed up. La Chapelle was cranking busy, so we picked up fuel there and had lunch at KM31. It’s pretty rough the last 15 miles or so running in/out of there. Otherwise, stellar experience.

Issues/incidents and discovery: The new Montana 700i worked fantastic, especially with the built-in inReach for text communication. The air suspension on the two new Expedition SE’s in our crew failed. One compressor runs but dumped all the air out 105mi away from Pelchat yesterday, which really sucked and I feel like the tin man right now. The other one keeps cycling up and down on its own.

105mi on a tank of fuel in the Expedition. 15.1 miles on the fuel light before it runs out, but very loose snow and lots of spinning headed up the hill yesterday. Did much better coming down.

Great to get a ride in before the new year! Safe travels.

99F7AF5B-8DEB-4FF4-8F7C-C1B4C506846F.jpeg

Nice posts. If I could ask a favor of Mrs Iceman. could you please refrain from using the term " LOVER" in your post?  I am trying to eat my breakfast and I am having trouble keeping it down with that image in my mind.  Thanks in advance. 800Steve

On 12/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, snowmaster2112 said:

That sign wouldn't be there after I passed through 

Some have called me the "Sign Bandit" in the past

I only execute when I feel it's not going to screw someone over 

You still screwed over the club that paid for the sign and the volunteer that put the sign up..........something to think about.